Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Witty log title

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,588 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Even that might be long enough to cause permanent damage to your joints esp. knees. I don't see the point in taking the chances. I mean how much is 3 weeks of training going to change your body anyway? Why risk injury?

It's more sensible just to train your big exercises just once a week and make sure you fully recover between workouts. Add weight at rate of a pound or two a week and it'll soon mount up.

No offence but that's nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Fish Finger Pie

What part?

I don't agree either. The volume might be high but the loads are even less than they would be with 5x5. I don't see how increased volume would lead to an increased risk of injury, provided time is given to warming up and mobility is good.

Repeatedly training an exercise with high volume without allowing enough time to recover properly won't increase the chance of injury? WAT?

Why are you doing this anyway? Are trying to shock your system into new growth or something?

What part?

All of it.

I'm not trying to be dismissive but Smolov is a tried and tested programme. I squat a minimum of twice a week and my knees are better than they were before I ever squatted.

And most programs are based on more than 1 pound a week.

• Advertisement

Well, you wouldn't get me doing extreme stuff like this. I'll stick with training my major exercises once a week and adding regular small increments of weight. This can keep on going for months without burning out or risking over training.

Remember, 2 pound a week is 100 pound a year - slow and steady wins the race.

Later, niggas!

Well, you wouldn't get me doing extreme stuff like this. I'll stick with training my major exercises once a week and adding regular small increments of weight. This can keep on going for months without burning out or risking over training.

Remember, 2 pound a week is 100 pound year - slow and steady wins the race.

Later, niggas!

It's not extreme. It's Smolov Jr. Look into why it's structured like it is.

Also, 5kg a week is 260kg in a year.

WINNING!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

Even that might be long enough to cause permanent damage to your joints esp. knees. I don't see the point in taking the chances. I mean how much is 3 weeks of training going to change your body anyway? Why risk injury?

It's more sensible to train your big exercises just once a week and make sure you fully recover between workouts. Add weight at rate of a pound or two a week and it'll soon mount up.

Oh holy god.

gvn, don't squat anymore it's too dangerous.

Also, 5kg a week is 260kg in a year.

More like 5kg a week for a month, hit a wall and burn out. 2 pounds a week can go on and on and on...

Oh holy god.

gvn, don't squat anymore it's too dangerous.

I didn't mean that, did I? Squating once a week is enough for anybody and doing it FOUR times a week is pointless and a little insane.

Don't be stupid.

• Advertisement

More like 5kg a week for a month, hit a wall and burn out. 2 pounds a week can go on and on and on...

Correct me if I'm wrong but you don't appear to know anything about how the programme is structured. You're not increasing your 1RM week after week. It's set up so that you're not overly fatigued.

Right, so you start with weights well below your maximum, build up with 5kg a week till you get to your max and.. then what? The progress continues at the same rate or do you hit a wall?

Right, so you start with weights well below your maximum, build up with 5kg a week till you get to your max and.. then what? The progress continues at the same rate or do you hit a wall?

The program is 3weeks long. It's not The Neverending Program. Just look it up - not just the structure but how and why it works. Supercompensation etc.

The program is 3weeks long.

Well then it's worthless. What can you do in 3 weeks?

3 week program LOL.

Until you educate yourself on a program you're slating, there's no point discussing it.

Sorry your log has been messed up a bit, gvn.

Double your squat in 3 weeks LOL!

Add a 100 pound to your bench in 3 weeks LOL!

Supercompensation LOL!

Not your fault, Alf! Follow my log for three weeks, Fish, and you can see if I break myself. Might be entertaining.

• Advertisement

How about this program:

Do the chin up, bench, squat and deadlift once a week for 2x5. Each week add 1 pound to the chin up and bench and 2 pound to the squat and deadlift. In a few years you'll be benching 300, squating 400 and deadlifting 500 with no over-training, right?

I've been trolled.

For shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

I've been trolled.

For shame.

You should have been wiser!

You should have been wiser!

Not the first time that's been said to me :)

Day 1/12

Back Squat
    100 6x6

Front Squat
    80 1x5 ... paused

Bench
    75 6x6 ... paused

Pull Ups
    BW 3x8

Barbell Hip Thrusts
    100 3x8 ... first time doing these

Got through all of that in about an hour which must be a record for me. New gym, so no more Raw until September probably. It's not half as good as Raw but it's a 5 minute walk from my house so you can't really argue with that.

Decided to change to high-bar back squats, which might be foolish at the start of Smolov Jr. given I've never done them before, but I'd eventually like to try to learn the Olympic lifts so I might as well change over now. Squats felt as smooth as they've ever felt, can't believe some ankle mobility work has made such a difference. Don't give out to me, Alf, for including the front squats and hip thrusts!

gvn wrote: »
    Don't give out to me, Alf, for including the front squats and hip thrusts!
    I was about to but then I saw that :D

I was about to but then I saw that :D

Heh. Loads are light at the minute so I think it'll be okay. I'll cop on a little bit by the end of this week hopefully!

Heh. Loads are light at the minute so I think it'll be okay. I'll cop on a little bit by the end of this week hopefully!

To be fair, I did RDLs and lunges on my first 10x3 day.

And on my second.

The glasshouse is but a frame...

To be fair, I did RDLs and lunges on my first 10x3 day.

And on my second.

The glasshouse is but a frame...

Heh. I plan on doing RDLs on Saturdays too so we'll see how that goes. Anyway...

Day 2/12

Back Squat
    107.5 7x5

Front Squat
    80 1x5 ... paused for 5 solid seconds at the bottom

Bench
    80 7x5 ... paused

Pendlay Row
    85 5x5

New gym is closed from this Thursday until next Tuesday. What a load of bollocks. I'll be starting week 2 of Smolov Jr next Tuesday, so it's not too bad, but it still leaves me gymless for Friday and Saturday of this week. I'm looking at two day passes in Flye Fit (€18 though, so not cheap). Is it possible to get a couple of day passes in Raw I wonder? Need to find something pretty soon.

• Advertisement

New gym is closed from this Thursday until next Tuesday. What a load of bollocks.

Council gym?

Was this time last year I realised the value of Raw. The council gym I had been using was closed over Easter as well.

They do day passes in Raw as well but I don't think they'd be much cheaper than Flyefit if at all.

Advertisement