Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Anschutz rifle

Options
  • 02-10-2013 10:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭

Well lads i'm on the look out for a Anschutz rifle most likely in left hand but will go for right hand if nothing can come up.
    Any way what models should i lookout for to shoot International Benchrest and Light Varmint Benchrest???
    Thanks lads.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

1710 if you can get your hands on one. Trying to keep the weight down for sporter is the thing, and a good front rest if you can get your hands on one makes a serious difference

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

1710. Great rifle. Shot one for years and are a serious tack driver.

Other models include:
    • 1813 Supermatch
    • MPR 64
    • 64 S BR

Most may not suit due to weight, etc. Been a few years since i shot BR so don't remember all the weights or scope powers allowed.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Sporter: Rifle and scope must weigh 8 1/2 lbs. or under. Scopes limited to 6.5 power maximum. Variable scopes must be set at the legal power and taped by a referee. No vibration tuning devices allowed. No electronic or mechanically assisted triggers allowed.

LV.10.5 Lbs. Unlimited scope power: Gun and scope must weigh 10 1/2 lbs. or under. Stock must be 3″ or under at its widest point. Barrel, action, or sleeve can be bedded. Bedding can be by glue-in or bolt in. Gun must be designed to be shoulder fired. No electronic or mechanically assisted triggers allowed.

HV 15lbs: Unlimited scope power. Rifle and scope must weight 13.5lbs or less. Rifle must sit entirely on bench and cannot be attached to the bench. No electronic or mechanically assisted triggers allowed. Any type of front and/or rear rest may be used.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Cavan duck buster

I found this lovely 54 left hand anschutz but it's in the uk, would it be hard to import it as i have fallin in love with it :)
    http://www.gunstar.co.uk/Rifle/Anschutz-Match-54-gun-for-sale-gs63406.aspx

What do you lads think of this model?

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Baker.22

Just a few corrections on the classes,but great description

International sporter. 8.5lbs
    Light varmint. 10.5lbs
    Heavy varmint. 15lbs

Ask about weight of the anchultz? Don't forget that you will need to fit a scope and mounts, for LV you will need a scope up near 30x or above and 6.5x for sporter. I don't think this rifle will get under 8.5lbs, but a nice LV gun

• Advertisement

Your right on the weights, I pulled them off one of the uk Benchrest sites, was too wet to go get the info out of the van, must get it up on our associations sites. That rifle won't make the weight for sporter, the stock is quiet heavy. There is a bit of upheaval regarding sporting class as the world federation are allowing custom builds that no off the shelf sporter will ever compete with.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Would something like this suit you?

My old BR rifle put me squarely in the HV class and i didn't shoot in the lower tiers so out of touch with what will make the class.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Cass wrote: »
    Would something like this suit you?

My old BR rifle put me squarely in the HV class and i didn't shoot in the lower tiers so out of touch with what will make the class.

Ya i was looking at that rifle, it's surly a nice 1 but i would like to take part in any 2 out of 3 disoplins, would that rifle be under the weight for LV?

Ya i was looking at that rifle, it's surly a nice 1 but i would like to take part in any 2 out of 3 disoplins, would that rifle be under the weight for LV?

Might be worth a call to see what it is weighing in at.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭tomcat220t

Hi Cavan duck buster, choosing the 54 action over the 64 action would be the better bet for BR .
    Regards,Tomcat.

• Advertisement

tomcat220t wrote: »
    Hi Cavan duck buster, choosing the 54 action over the 64 action would be the better bet for BR .
    Regards,Tomcat.

Ya i was talkink to fabion conolly and he strongly advised the 54 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Just to add as well that you needn't look for just "Match 54" on the gun either. That same action, with minor modifications and slightly different triggers and such, was also the basis of the 14xx, 16xx, 18xx and 19xx series of rifles. You've got a massive variety available to you. One of potentially the best options is to find something like a fairly well run out 1813, buy it for cheap, then get the action looked over to make sure everything is good, and stick a new, aftermarket barrel on it. It might not end up cheap, but it should probably still be cheaper than a new barrelled action, and the likelihood is that it'll be better too.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

tomcat220t wrote: »
    choosing the 54 action over the 64 action would be the better bet for BR

Yup. I can't imagine it's an accident that the vast majority of Anschütz's current product line are 54 actions. I can't ever remember seeing a 64 being used in serious ISSF competition and yet every firing line has dozens of 54s.

DURC has two 64 actions and a load of 54 actions and I can say that I'm no fan of the 64s. All of the rifles have a lot of miles on the clock and have been "maintained" by students for decades and the 54s just keep going and the 64s are no end of grief. The bolt design is too fiddly. The action always felt loose to me too, though that could be due to DURC's rifles being damn near worn out. Still, no excuse, we have 54s roughly a decade older with thousands more rounds through them still getting 100-200 rounds a week through them and not complaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭tomcat220t

One of the differences between the 64 and 54 is the 54 has 2 locking lugs at the rear as apposed to single lug on the bolt handle of the 64 action .The single lug design can/will cause inconsistency and vertical groups .
    Regards,Tomcat.

Advertisement