Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda called over crying child on bus

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

could this have been staged by the women so that the driver threw them off the bus which would then give them reason to sue Dublin Bus for distress caused?

Sure it would do your head in listening to a baby scream so much. But it's a baby. You tolerate it. You don't go ringing the guards or throw the mother off the bus.
    Nobody should have to put up with upwards of 50 minutes of that though, they should have got off the bus a lot earlier and tried to calm the child properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Gatling wrote: »
    Yes Its traumatic for the child suffering teething pretty obvious,

Aye, I'm still working through my molar abuse with my psychiatrist.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

anncoates wrote: »
    Aye, I'm still working through my molar abuse with my psychiatrist.

Are you a parent

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

Are you a parent

Because you can't have an opinion if you haven't had unprotected sex before

• Advertisement

Are you a parent

Yup

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Nobody should have to put up with upwards of 50 minutes of that though, they should have got off the bus a lot earlier and tried to calm the child properly.

If I was in charge of a screaming baby I think I'd want to get him home to his food, medicine, fresh nappy, bed, Da/Ma, cot, whatever, as soon ASAP.

anncoates wrote: »
    Yup

So in your profession parental opinion is it acceptable to leave a child in distress for nearly an hour on a bus / restaurant / home / shops

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

So in your profession parental opinion is it acceptable to leave a child in distress for nearly an hour on a bus / restaurant / home / shops

What other option do they have? They need to getter kid home so they can properlyvtske care of its needs.

So in your profession parental opinion is it acceptable to leave a child in distress for nearly an hour bus / restaurant / home / shops

I have two young children.

Public transport is a different case. You have to juggle the prospect of just getting home or getting off the bus and getting home to bed, food or whatever much later. From what I know, the bus in question isn't exactly frequent - hourly?

Ironically the kind of judgement you see on the youtube vid and here would make you want to just bite the bullet and get home ASAP instead of postponing the public transport journey under moralizing eyes.

Plus your designation of distress is disingenuous - hence my levity.

What is distress?

In a lot of cases, the kid is just tired, hungry or suffering from some unavoidable discomfort like teething.

Like I said, I'd comfort the child but choosing not to do so is not grounds for Garda intervention.

• Advertisement

What other option do they have? They need to getter kid home so they can properlyvtske care of its needs.

Could have easily got off the bus and calmed the child ,
    Could have at least attempted to acknowledge the child was distressed,

I Could go on

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7 ronan24

???? some joke

If I was in charge of a screaming baby I think I'd want to get him home to his food, medicine, fresh nappy, bed, Da/Ma, cot, whatever, as soon ASAP.

The driver was obviously distressed and distracted by the constant screaming, If the bus had crashed because the driver was distracted we would all be singing the same tune.

If I was a driver in such a situation I would put the passengers off before Parkgate street but would alert all other Maynooth bound buses by radio that the passengers fares were paid and to take them on whatever bus they wished to travel on when the baby had been appeased.

The driver was obviously distressed and distracted by the constant screaming, If the bus had crashed because the driver was distracted we would all be singing the same tune.

If I was a driver in such a situation I would put the passengers off before Parkgate street but would alert all other Maynooth bound buses by radio that the passengers fares were paid and to take them on whatever bus they wished to travel on when the baby had been appeased.

Because of a crying baby?

Sweet lantern of Jaysus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

I've heard some very distressing sounding cries from babies over the years - one of my nieces was one of them and she was so bad, I couldn't stay in the same room as her. The sound of her cries were nothing short of harrowing. I could barely be in the same room as her but she was as loved and looked after as any child loved by their parents and my sister was adviced not to pick her up anytime she let loose with the cries, so perhaps this mother is trying a similar tactic.

I don't know what to make of this. I think it was OTT calling the police though and I've seen plenty worse on Dublin Bus when I lived there but never the police being being called for a crying child.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

Eh.....are there two threads with the same story or am I more baloobas than I first thought i.e. very baloobas? Posting same post again cos I don't know what's going on...

I've heard some very distressing sounding cries from babies over the years - one of my nieces was one of them and she was so bad, I couldn't stay in the same room as her. The sound of her cries were nothing short of harrowing. I could barely be in the same room as her but she was as loved and looked after as any child loved by their parents and my sister was adviced not to pick her up anytime she let loose with the cries, so perhaps this mother is trying a similar tactic.

I don't know what to make of this. I think it was OTT calling the police though and I've seen plenty worse on Dublin Bus when I lived there but never the police being being called for a crying child.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

Newaglish wrote: »
    Because you can't have an opinion if you haven't had unprotected sex before

quote of the year

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Lepidoptera

PrettyBoy wrote: »
    How do I know that the child wanted to be taken out of the pram? Did you watch the video?

Or how did I know the child had been crying for 30+ minutes? They're the facts that were given by the person(s) that were present. I'm basing my posts on the facts that were given.

Except that the 66 takes around 50 minutes to get from city centre all the way to its terminus in Maynooth (unless there has been a serious accident during rush hour or something). Lucan village is around the midway point. It takes about 25 minutes from city centre. So yes, I'm guessing there is some exaggeration going on here, but that isn't really surprising coming from someone who decides to film and post in so many places about this.

Having to deal with crying children in public spaces is a common occurrence. Most people get on with their life. Some decide to film it because...shaming people is fun?

I feel sorry for the people - the women with the baby and the other passengers and the guard - who were filmed without their consent just so someone could get a little vindictive pleasure for having their commute disturbed instead of just moving on with their day. I recognise that there is nothing stopping people from filming things like this and posting them online, but it's still in poor taste. I'm glad that I wasn't on that bus, and my reasons have nothing to do with the crying baby.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

Some of the useless Tut Tut'ers should have offered the mother and child a seat. She probably wouldn't give into the child and pick it up to calm it because its bloody dangerous to stand on a bus with a child in your arms FFS. Bus breaks suddenly and you're on the floor on top of your baby/toddler. You've a broken limb because you had no hands free to break your fall and you baby has broken limbs after being crushed under you.

Surely it doesn't take being a parent nor a woman to know this. I am neither FFS and yet its obvious to me.

Calibos wrote: »
    Some of the useless Tut Tut'ers should have offered the mother and child a seat. She probably wouldn't give into the child and pick it up to calm it because its bloody dangerous to stand on a bus with a child in your arms FFS. Bus breaks suddenly and you're on the floor on top of your baby/toddler. You've a broken limb because you had no hands free to break your fall and you baby has broken limbs after being crushed under you.

Surely it doesn't take being a parent nor a woman to know this. I am neither FFS and yet its obvious to me.
    The mother was sitting down the whole time!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,189 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

It's a child FFS!
    A child doesnt know about making noise or upsetting other people on the bus. Have some understanding.
    It's just one of those situations where you can get so pissed off but tolerate it. You don't call the guards or make a fucking youtube video.

Look, I don't have kids. But i've heard the stories about when a childs teeth are growing in that they go mental. Who knows maybe it was that? who knows maybe the child pee'ed his pants. As a mature adult I will tolerate a child crying (still would annoy me) But you have to understand.

It's a child FFS!
    A child doesnt know about making noise or upsetting other people on the bus. Have some understanding.

It's just one of those situations where you can get so pissed off but tolerate it. You don't call the guards or make a fucking youtube video.
    or the driver can rightly ask the parent to remove their child from the bus.

Because a child is crying?

I understand I edited my last post after you got back. So lets throw out what I added in terms of discussion.

But to reply with what you quoted me: it's a child.... DO YOU NOT UNDERSTAND FFS?
    What if this was a person with mental issues on the bus? (the connection being not understanding what one is doing) .... would you want the bus driver to throw them off? because their carer isnt 'handling' them?

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Tordelback

It's a crappy situation for all concerned, but the idea that the mother should just hop off the bus to sort things out is insane. Have you ever been stuck waiting at a bus-stop with your miserable yowling kid, then stuck on a bus for 30 minutes, then getting off only to be stuck at another bus-stop for who-knows how long (an hour?), then eventually stuck on another bus...

Do you think the kid's demeanour is likely to improve throughout this process, especially if is unwell/teething/hungry? Do you think any parent in this situation would do this voluntarily?

Get the kid home ASAP. That'd be anyone's priority.

Won't someone think of the poor driver having to endure this non stop screaming in their ear for over half an hour and the possible danger that can cause as it is a serious distraction.

Tordelback wrote: »
    It's a crappy situation for all concerned, but the idea that the mother should just hop off the bus to sort things out is insane. Have you ever been stuck waiting at a bus-stop with your miserable yowling kid, then stuck on a bus for 30 minutes, then getting off only to be stuck at another bus-stop for who-knows how long (an hour?), then eventually stuck on another bus...

Do you think the kid's demeanour is likely to improve throughout this process, especially if is unwell/teething/hungry? Do you think any parent in this situation would do this voluntarily?

Get the kid home ASAP. That'd be anyone's priority.

Well said dude.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

If the bus had crashed because the driver was distracted..

Then he's in the wrong job. If it was the driver that called the police then he's a first class wanker. Probably the same type of fuckwit who'd go on strike if the sandwiches in the canteen were cut straight instead of diagonally.

Won't someone think of the poor driver having to endure this non stop screaming in their ear for over half an hour and the possible danger that can cause as it is a serious distraction.

And what about the scumbags, assholes in traffic and general shite your average dublin bus driver puts up with on a daily basis?

All them are not a problem but a screaming baby is? - That sound right?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 100 ✭✭JBTM

Apparently Dublin Bus have video footage of the incident and are releasing a Directors Cut type DVD free in this Sundays Irish Times. 74 minutes long that one with 2 different camera angles, enhanced speakers and interviews with the driver, the two women central to the incident and 3 of the passengers. It also has a remade 'all-white' parody to give a non racist perspective on the situation. I think we should wait until we see that before discussing this further.

Advertisement