Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Bug out bag" Documentary - Help

Options
  • 03-10-2013 12:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi,

I am interested in making a short documentary which centers around the idea of a bug out bag. The documentary is based on an assignment which has to centre around the contents of peoples bags. Myself and my partner would like to centre our documentary on the contents of a bug out bag.

We would be very grateful if anyone could provide us with any information on bug out bags.

We are also looking for any prepper who has a bug out bag who would be willing to participate in our documentary and go through the contents of the their bag on camera for the documentary.

Many thanks,

Megan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

You could take a look here, but eh, OPSEC...

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭thehippychippy

Just my 2cents but why don't you put one together. Grab a bag and take only the essentials you'd need for, say, three days away from your home. Imagine you just got an evacuation order and had an hour to "bug out". What would you bring or what have you got that you could bring. Then have a think about what you would like to have with you and try to fit it all in a bag that's comfortable to carry a bit of weight in for an extended period.
    I could tell you what's in mine, but I doubt you'd use pipe tobacco, you might not like my knife, you might not be comfortable in my old (but much loved) boots and some would say the amount of different cordage I carry is over kill. (Still can't fit the folding grappling hook and rope in, or on, damn it!!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭The Glass Key

OP, I think you'll find for obvious reasons they are a shy lot here. Now if you offer to supply the balaclavas that might be different :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6 megandev

Just my 2cents but why don't you put one together. Grab a bag and take only the essentials you'd need for, say, three days away from your home. Imagine you just got an evacuation order and had an hour to "bug out". What would you bring or what have you got that you could bring. Then have a think about what you would like to have with you and try to fit it all in a bag that's comfortable to carry a bit of weight in for an extended period.
    I could tell you what's in mine, but I doubt you'd use pipe tobacco, you might not like my knife, you might not be comfortable in my old (but much loved) boots and some would say the amount of different cordage I carry is over kill. (Still can't fit the folding grappling hook and rope in, or on, damn it!!)
    For this project we have to find someone who is willing to share the contents of their bag. Unfortunately it cant be myself preparing one. Does anyone know of anyone that might be willing to share the contents of their own bug out bag on camera?

Might help if you could indicate where you are and how far you are prepared to travel?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 megandev

Im based in Dublin and Leitrim. We would be able to travel from Dublin as long as there is public transport links. We would be able to travel anywhere in the North West, no matter the public transport links.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

megandev wrote: »
    For this project we have to find someone who is willing to share the contents of their bag. Unfortunately it cant be myself preparing one. Does anyone know of anyone that might be willing to share the contents of their own bug out bag on camera?
    Your problem here Megan is that one of the unwritten rules of the game is not to tell anyone who or where you are, so's you can't be pinned down to more than a fifty mile radius or major city anyway.

One of our members is acquiring some lovely wooded property in the countryside for various reasons, I'd be very interested to know where it is to go for a ramble, but he isn't telling me and I'm not asking. That's just how it works.

The thinking behind it is pretty straightforward common sense, you don't want some chancer knocking on your door in the event of an actual emergency or disaster, and lord knows they seem to be getting more common these days, waving what may or may not be an airsoft gun in your face looking for your stuff and supplies. Call it healthy caution.

So looking for someone to show up for a video recording and just go over everything they have presents difficulties. I'm not saying there are no ways around those difficulties, I'm sure some creative planning could get a few members on board.

I strongly encourage your initiative, the more people contemplating this stuff the better, but it's asking a bit more than you seem to think.

OP which is more important the interview seeing the interviewee or seeing the bag with its contents. If you can stick with filming the bags contents and recording the interviewee's comments you have a possible solution.

Advertisement