Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Broadband - I'm just sick of it at this stage

• 03-10-2013 2:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Hello all,

I've been using Eircom Broadband for probably about 7 years now. It was mostly stable over the past few years. A few outages here and there, most of the time while I wasn't using the internet. But since June of this year it has been absolute garbage. In june, it was so slow I literally couldn't load up speedtest.net or eircoms speedtest, that is how slow it was. I eventually got one to work and it was something like 0.02Mbps or something. Sadly I didn't get a screenshot of it. I do have a screenshot of it when it was at 0.13Mbps, I'll link that below. I am paying for 7Mbps and they say I should be getting around 5-6. Towards the end of June, after having a Technician check my line and give me a new modem, it went up to 6mb, which was great for the 1-2 weeks it lasted. Then it just started getting kinda slow again. Then in august it started to speed up a bit, but even since about mid to late August, it has just been cutting out at random, sometime just going really slow. I might be playing a game on Xbox and just get kicked from the game and party and get disconnected from Xbox live shortly after. Or I might be opening a website and get an error message. Sometimes it says there is no internet connection, others it says no connection to the exchange. It takes anywhere from a few mins, to an hour to get working again on its own. I'm sick of it and I'm sick of calling Eircom. I've spent about €100 credit on my mobile from calling them, because they always say to call back on mobile so they can test the lines, which makes sense. Sometimes they say that the line is apparently busy, even when I've tried disconnecting the only phone in the house and only using the modem. I really don't know what to do anymore.

EDIT: Forgot to link that picture.

ObYEKlK.png

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭BordorFox

Sounds like perhaps the box closest to you has issues or your line needs to be replaced.

Did you ever ring up eircom and ask them to do a digital noise test and speed test on your line?

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Flora5

BordorFox wrote: »
    Sounds like perhaps the box closest to you has issues or your line needs to be replaced.

Did you ever ring up eircom and ask them to do a digital noise test and speed test on your line?

They've done what they call a "line test". That is when they told me that it turned up busy. Also the technician checked the speed back in june with one of those fancy box things they have and he said the line was perfect, that it was getting a full 7mb/7mb. Should I just call them up and go straight to the line problem section rather than the broadband section?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Are there ever problems with voice calls or call quality?

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Flora5

Are there ever problems with voice calls or call quality?

To be honest, I pretty much never use my phone. I really only used it to call Eircom. My Mobile does to job now, so I really don't need the phone. I've had my phone plugged out since June when they told me to so they can run a speed test. I've tried plugging it back in for a while last month, but the broadband was still acting the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Flora5 wrote: »
    To be honest, I pretty much never use my phone. I really only used it to call Eircom. My Mobile does to job now, so I really don't need the phone. I've had my phone plugged out since June when they told me to so they can run a speed test. I've tried plugging it back in for a while last month, but the broadband was still acting the same.
    Then it might be a good idea to use it once and let us know how it sounds, yes? Just for a minute or what have you. Call eircom on 1901 for free if you want to listen for any crackling or to check if sound is too quiet etc.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

What are your line stats?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 824 ✭✭✭pbarr

Then it might be a good idea to use it once and let us know how it sounds, yes? Just for a minute or what have you. Call eircom on 1901 for free if you want to listen for any crackling or to check if sound is too quiet etc.
    Another good way to check for line noise is leave the handset off the hook for a couple of minutes. The tones will go but you will still be connected to the exchange and if there is any faint crackling you should be able to hear it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,341 ✭✭✭✭phog

I wonder have you or your neighbours started to use something electrical that might be bringing down your speed.

I remember reading of a robot lawnmower causing problems once, tried a search for it but can't find it now.

Edited to add - Not the one I was looking for but have a look at this.

Advertisement