Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless CCTV system advice

Options
  • 03-10-2013 8:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭

Hi
    I'm looking for advice re purchasing and installing a Wireless CCTV system.

a) brand recommendations
    b) price range
    c) installation

Any help/advice appreciated
    Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Wrong place to ask.

Also assume anyone can watch it unless it's cabled.

Cabled is far cheaper, better cameras with more choice of lens and truly secure. You have to get power to each Wireless camera.

But it depends on your application, without knowing that and distances/Structure no-one can advise you. All the consumer IP over WiFi are pretty much the same. There are cheaper Analogue Wireless CCTV (no security at all and only 4 channels). There is also professional longer range licensed Wireless CCTV on 1.4GHz.

Maybe you need to talk to a registered Security company if it's any important CCTV application.

Price is €100 to €100,000 depending on your needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Conology

watty wrote: »
    Wrong place to ask.

Also assume anyone can watch it unless it's cabled.

Cabled is far cheaper, better cameras with more choice of lens and truly secure. You have to get power to each Wireless camera.

But it depends on your application, without knowing that and distances/Structure no-one can advise you. All the consumer IP over WiFi are pretty much the same. There are cheaper Analogue Wireless CCTV (no security at all and only 4 channels). There is also professional longer range licensed Wireless CCTV on 1.4GHz.

Maybe you need to talk to a registered Security company if it's any important CCTV application.

Price is €100 to €100,000 depending on your needs.

Thanks - what section should I have put my question in ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

Conology wrote: »
    Hi
    I'm looking for advice re purchasing and installing a Wireless CCTV system.

a) brand recommendations
    b) price range
    c) installation

Any help/advice appreciated
    Thank you

Wireless cameras are expensive and not not as reliable as hard wired cameras in my opinion...u can use cat5 and a balun for cameras if u cannot use a power and rg59 cable for video.

Note there is now a new law in place since last yr that your supplier and fitter of cameras must have a PSA license...and as such these are screened before being awarded a licenese and must use proper equipment and not cheap rubbish sold in many high street stores.

steveon wrote: »
    Wireless cameras are expensive and not not as reliable as hard wired cameras in my opinion...u can use cat5 and a balun for cameras if u cannot use a power and rg59 cable for video.

Note there is now a new law in place since last yr that your supplier and fitter of cameras must have a PSA license...and as such these are screened before being awarded a licenese and must use proper equipment and not cheap rubbish sold in many high street stores.

Thanks - I don't understand the technical terms you use - "u can use cat5 and a balun for cameras if u cannot use a power and rg59 cable for video"

Re - the new law - I wasn't aware of any - but would love to get details of it - where can I get the information ?
    I was planning to install it myself.

Thanks - I don't understand the technical terms you use - "u can use cat5 and a balun for cameras if u cannot use a power and rg59 cable for video"

Re - the new law - I wasn't aware of any - but would love to get details of it - where can I get the information ?
    I was planning to install it myself.

You can read about the new law here, I dont think theres a problem if your installing yourself but you cannot use anyone to help that is not registered.

http://www.justice.ie/en/JELR/20120927-PSA%20Notice%20for%20News%20and%20Events%20Section%20of%20DJE%20website.pdf/Files/20120927-PSA%20Notice%20for%20News%20and%20Events%20Section%20of%20DJE%20website.pdf

Normally for cameras you would you two cables, one for the video and one for the power to the camera. The type of cable needed is called RG59. It is similar in style to cabling use for tv systems, many people use it for tv but it is prone to interference and has huge losses as a result.

If you are running cameras over a long distance you can use a cat5 cable instead. This is the same cable we use for networking computers etc....but you need a device called a balun to transmit the picture and power down the cable.

Is there any particular reason you are planning to do a wireless system?? You will still need to get the signal from the aerial to your dvr which is always hard wired anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

You can read about the new law here, I dont think theres a problem if your installing yourself but you cannot use anyone to help that is not registered.

Feck's sake. The nanny state at it again.

7upfree wrote: »
    Feck's sake. The nanny state at it again.

Its more than just been a nanny state, it was done to curtail another amount of cash been paid to installers, all camera installations have to be logged and kept on file for a period of 5 yrs and validated upto 3 times a yr

It is also to vet anyone doing camera installs and to stop cheap cameras been installed incorrectly and dangerously, i.e power connections left open to elements....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

Its more than just been a nanny state, it was done to curtail another amount of cash been paid to installers, all camera installations have to be logged and kept on file for a period of 5 yrs and validated upto 3 times a yr

It is also to vet anyone doing camera installs and to stop cheap cameras been installed incorrectly and dangerously, i.e power connections left open to elements....

Of course it is Steve........:rolleyes::D

http://www.justice.ie/en/JELR/20120927-PSA%20Notice%20for%20News%20and%20Events%20Section%20of%20DJE%20website.pdf/Files/20120927-PSA%20Notice%20for%20News%20and%20Events%20Section%20of%20DJE%20website.pdf

Normally for cameras you would you two cables, one for the video and one for the power to the camera. The type of cable needed is called RG59. It is similar in style to cabling use for tv systems, many people use it for tv but it is prone to interference and has huge losses as a result.

If you are running cameras over a long distance you can use a cat5 cable instead. This is the same cable we use for networking computers etc....but you need a device called a balun to transmit the picture and power down the cable.

Is there any particular reason you are planning to do a wireless system?? You will still need to get the signal from the aerial to your dvr which is always hard wired anyway.

Hi Stevon - Basically - I thought "Wireless" would be a bit easier to install - no drilling of holes in walls etc.

Hi Stevon - Basically - I thought "Wireless" would be a bit easier to install - no drilling of holes in walls etc.

There will be drilling involved in mounting the cameras....and you will need to get power back to the unit to power it up...wireless systems are mostly used in farmyards etc.....

There a lot more expensive so unless you need to go down that route I wouldnt.

• Advertisement

There will be drilling involved in mounting the cameras....and you will need to get power back to the unit to power it up...wireless systems are mostly used in farmyards etc.....

There a lot more expensive so unless you need to go down that route I wouldnt.

Hi Steveon
    I understand, I'll go the powered route as you recommend.

Thanks

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Moved to Home Security Systems

Advertisement