Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Expired Pub Licence

• 03-10-2013 10:22am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16

The pub that i recently took over has lost its licence as it was unable to get a tax clearance cert. Would I have a period of grace with revenue to get my affairs in order and honour some obligations?
    Any anecdotal tales of pubs open for years without a licence greatly appreciated here...along with some good advice!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

This is not a Beer & Wine & Spirits topic.

Moved to Legal Discussion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Those anecdotes re trading without a licence are from the dim and distant past.

talk to a solicitor pronto.

For a start you would need to ensure that the annual licensing court for your area is adjourned. Those were held last month. Some may have already have been adjourned

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Frynge

For the last couple of years the second week of October is when the guards enter and shut down pubs without licences.
    I have been told they let publicans run down there stock before shutting them down but wouldn't pay much attention to that. They probably only act on it when it comes across there desk.
    Last year in Carlow I think it was five pubs closed in this manner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,247 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

A pub near me was rented out by it's owners. The leasee ran into tax issues and traded for 9 months without a licence. He was brazen about it to his regular customers. One night he booted out a regular; they walked down to Kevin Street and the place was cleared out within an hour. You may well chance it without a licence but every days trade will be your last; it's not worth the risk, is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 992 ✭✭✭dazza21ie

I would take advice on this immediately. It is possible to get the licence back in these instances by applying to the Circuit Court. The application must be made within 5 years of the last licence expiring. It will cost a substantial amount as it usually involves having a solicitor, barrister and architect involved.

If you were to continue to trade without a licence you are committing a criminal offence and you are leaving yourself open to prosecution and hefty fines. Usually people trading without a licence for a few years also have been prosecuted a number of times in relation to this. The Garda are more proactive in different parts of the country than others and have the power to shut you down also.

• Advertisement
Advertisement