Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Bank for farmers?

Options
  • 03-10-2013 10:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 29

I am banking with ACC and they have just notified us that they are shutting down their internet banking service. This is the last straw for me so I am trying to find out which of the other main banks are best to switch my current account to. What do the farmers out there think?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭delaval

AIB here, have plenty of reasons to leave but never had because they are all the same

I was told once that 'a bank is like a pet tiger, it will kill and eat you eventually'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭Milked out

Not sure about the best bank but call in to all the local banks and meet the bank managers/ business managers and see how you get on with them, and possibly ask friends in your area how they get on with their banks. They're all hard enough to get money off these days as all decisions will be decided by credit in Dublin, but the person(s) you deal with in your area can have a bearing on how your proposals will look to Dublin when looking for a loan.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

The Internet banking by boi isn't great, and then bloody machines replacing all the staff 2bh is annoying. I know ulsterbank were giving farmers 250 for doing a profit monitor, and putting your main income (milk cheques etc) through the account, their Internet banking suppose to be good and quick also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭hugo29

Timmaay wrote: »
    The Internet banking by boi isn't great, and then bloody machines replacing all the staff 2bh is annoying. I know ulsterbank were giving farmers 250 for doing a profit monitor, and putting your main income (milk cheques etc) through the account, their Internet banking suppose to be good and quick also.

ulster bank internet banking facility is good,
    as for everything else, well as dev says they are a bank

• Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

dealing with most of them ongoing and they are all the same.

ACC are not taking on new farming clients :eek:

Dansk are moving out all together

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭KatyMac

I'm with Ulster Bank. They haven't annoyed me too much so are probably as good as any.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭cavandown

Am with danske bank. Heard they moving out and have sent letters to inform some clients of.this. Any idea when? All banks same. People that swear by onee bank often swear about another. Depends on the people, sorry machines, you dealing with

• Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

cavandown wrote: »
    Am with danske bank. Heard they moving out and have sent letters to inform some clients of.this. Any idea when? All banks same. People that swear by onee bank often swear about another. Depends on the people, sorry machines, you dealing with

Im working on a plan. they are putting together nice enough packages to move facilities and covering all costs :D

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭ABlur

Anyone dealing with a credit union and how do you find them? Our local one is canvassing for members.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

ABlur wrote: »
    Anyone dealing with a credit union and how do you find them? Our local one is canvassing for members.

Read on a mumsy forum today where a couple wanted to negotiate their loan repayments they where told no as there was money in their kids accounts, this was in the south east. Our local cu charge 10% interest on loans

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭grazeaway

they all pretty much of a muchness really. with AIB and really should move from them as they have really pissed me off over the last 2 years. BOI have been makign soem noises and i have my morgage with them. have offred me a 2 year fee free busianess account for teh farm to switch. still muling it over. still wary of uslter back. dotn want to get caught with no money, their IT infrastsrucure is very poor and still not up to standard. the rest are pretty much teh same.

have a CU account for small loans

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Toby12345

hugo29 wrote: »
    ulster bank internet banking facility is good,
    as for everything else, well as dev says they are a bank

Yes I was leaning towards Ulster Bank. Farmers I speak to all have different opinions of each bank. One fella left ACC a few years ago and went to AIB. Now he says they are no better and is looking to change again. He is a fairly big operater. Internet banking is the way its going these days so its important to me.

Toby12345 wrote: »
    Yes I was leaning towards Ulster Bank. Farmers I speak to all have different opinions of each bank. One fella left ACC a few years ago and went to AIB. Now he says they are no better and is looking to change again. He is a fairly big operater. Internet banking is the way its going these days so its important to me.

i like their internet banking i use all the time and can transfer from all accounts instantly,
    among other things their charges are high, i have thought about leaving but have not got around to it, permanent tsb were mentioned somewhere previously as an option

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭sheebadog

Always use 2 banks. I got that advice many moons ago and has served me well enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

I've a couple of farmers who talk openly confidentially with me,who are dealing with a mix of banks,and do ya know what,bank of Ireland is the can do bank of all of them at the moment
    Aib-desperate altogether,very very slow regardless of how good the case made.
    Ulster-worse I hear.

You absolutely totally need to have a rock solid case for yourself.
    If you are moving because you have a heap of referral fees and worse.Forget it and try and get your house in order first within your own resources.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

With TSB for personal banking because there are no charges. Find them good so far. Good internet banking, and good customer service in the branch.

With BOI for business banking + also use the Credit Union. Find BOI good for a number of reasons.

1. Their Ag person is an actual farmer and not afraid to advise you based on his own experience and his advice isn't always in the best favour of the bank.

2. They are approachable for a loan - even in these times.

3. The other staff in the local branch are local. They are not afraid to pick up the phone to you if there is a problem and are willing to help you to sort it out before it affects anything else. eg. Wrote a cheque and didn't have enough money in account to back it. Got a call from bank worker to say that they would hold it for a few hours to allow me to lodge/transfer money to back it - saved embarrisment with other party.

Also save with Credit Union. Not around during the day so can only access money on a wednesday night. That's a good thing for me - helps me to save and to budget!

i am with ulster bank, have moved branch a few times to go to an ag advisor who knows what they are talking about,have business internet banking, main downfall is every couple of weekends it goes off air:mad: staff in bank are grand and i availed of the 250 euro profit monitor money too

whelan1 wrote: »
    i am with ulster bank, have moved branch a few times to go to an ag advisor who knows what they are talking about,have business internet banking, main downfall is every couple of weekends it goes off air:mad: staff in bank are grand and i availed of the 250 euro profit monitor money too

hi whelan1, do you have the business log in, i used too and found it a pain, so i got them to include the business accounts on the personal banking log in and its much better, can transfer between accounts now on line as well

whats the profit monitor

hi whelan1, do you have the business log in, i used too and found it a pain, so i got them to include the business accounts on the personal banking log in and its much better, can transfer between accounts now on line as well

whats the profit monitor
    i can transfer money etc, profit monitor is a lot of hard work:D

:D sorry, got cut off in mid sentence, do you just submit a completed profit monitor for a 250 yoyo payback, is there any catch

• Advertisement

:D sorry, got cut off in mid sentence, do you just submit a completed profit monitor for a 250 yoyo payback, is there any catch
    i emailed a copy of my profit monitor to my account manager and got the 250 euro a few weeks later into my account, its well gone now

i emailed a copy of my profit monitor to my account manager and got the 250 euro a few weeks later into my account, its well gone now

hey, must give that one a go,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,286 ✭✭✭Robson99

With Ulster for farm account. Find them al-right. Like previously said good internet banking service which is handy

With Permanent TSB for personal banking for over 15 years and I am threatening every month to leave. Only for the hassle of changing the direct debits etc I would be gone long ago. A bunch of......

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭signinlate

A turf bank is the only good bank :)

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Henwin

Im with EBS and find them gud, saying tat it takes 10 working days for a cheque to enter the account. but their internet banking and customer service are excellent

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

have a loan with the credit union and got it very easily. Credit unions have a lot of money that they are desperate to get out there and making a return for them so they are definatly worth a shot.

Do the rest of my banking with Bank of Ireland. I already have a personal account with them. considered getting business account with Ulster bank across the road but between the fear of RBS pulling the plug and chat on here about difficulty in getting credit I said I'd stick with BOI for convenience

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

If you're with ifac and teagasc it isn't, ifac can generate you a profit monitor report from your accounts, teagasc just have to lob these figures into their template and it splits out all your c/l costs, or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,286 ✭✭✭Robson99

If the Credit Union issued chq books and had internet banking I would move all to them. Never had a minutes hassle with them getting loans for anything

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭loveta

Left danske bank just over two years they were just impossible to deal with and knew they were going to get worse because they wanted out of ireland but it is not cheap if you got loans to move as well talking a few grand, with ulster now there ok if all is in order there biz internet is not great IMO thats the one "and only" thing i miss about danske bank and it was free two

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 Toby12345

sheebadog wrote: »
    Always use 2 banks. I got that advice many moons ago and has served me well enough

Thats interesting. No one says that much. I do not want to move my loan account as i got a good interest rate, just the current account.

I do not have any problems money wise, charges etc.

Advertisement