Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Bank for farmers?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Toby12345

whitebriar wrote: »
    I've a couple of farmers who talk openly confidentially with me,who are dealing with a mix of banks,and do ya know what,bank of Ireland is the can do bank of all of them at the moment
    Aib-desperate altogether,very very slow regardless of how good the case made.
    Ulster-worse I hear.

I see, BOI sounds good then.

I am not looking for any loans right now. The main thing is that I move to a bank that is good to do business with day to day.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Toby12345

Robson99 wrote: »
    With Ulster for farm account. Find them al-right. Like previously said good internet banking service which is handy

Yes, I might see what the guys in the local branch are like. The people on the ground make a bit of difference too. I cant imagine they will have a IT meltdown that big again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,908 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Was with TSB and AIB , now only AIB, after three botched attempts to set up internet banking I gave up on TSB

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭promises

I would avoid bank of Ireland, they are cutting down on so many services in branch, basically they only want business to be done online, however their online services is very poor. Their staff in my local branch are quite rude at times with no apologies given about withdrawing services to me. I also have personnel accounts with ulsterbank and have had no issues and their online banking is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

that goes for all the banks though. The less they have you dealing with real people the better in their eyes

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 516 ✭✭✭TEAT SQUEEZER

local aib branch has an auto system for lodging cheques which incurs less fees than lodging it through the person sitting behind the counter 3 feet to the left....zero interest in a human touch approach..

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭J DEERE

Lost all faith in the banking system since the power to lend was taken from the branch. Before you could go in and have a chat, explain your plans and go through any potential weaknesses they may see or reservations they may have. You would have an answer that week. Now the decision is made by a computer and sanctioned in Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 516 ✭✭✭TEAT SQUEEZER

J DEERE wrote: »
    Lost all faith in the banking system since the power to lend was taken from the branch. Before you could go in and have a chat, explain your plans and go through any potential weaknesses they may see or reservations they may have. You would have an answer that week. Now the decision is made by a computer and sanctioned in Dublin.

looked for a reasonable sum for straigfht forward financing lately...

local lad said yeah fine no bother .. he came bac to me on 3 occasions with different ways that head office had come up with to basically no give me the full amount.. would have told him to stuff it only for time constraints.

heard that financing the tax bill is quiet common .. never heard it before... does it make financial sense or is it purely down to cashflow... is it tax deductable?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Was with TSB and AIB , now only AIB, after three botched attempts to set up internet banking I gave up on TSB

TSB Internet banking is a pain. They won't send out statements unless you have it set up, I spent a half day one time getting it set up after forgetting the password when I had it setup it still said I was locked out :mad:

Are AIB after giving up trying to flog life insurance to customers? It's a total scam as they get huge commission for the first two years and a % after that. Many people believe that their bank are looking out for them selling insurance investments etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

Sam Kade wrote: »
    TSB Internet banking is a pain. They won't send out statements unless you have it set up, I spent a half day one time getting it set up after forgetting the password when I had it setup it still said I was locked out :mad:

Are AIB after giving up trying to flog life insurance to customers? It's a total scam as they get huge commission for the first two years and a % after that. Many people believe that their bank are looking out for them selling insurance investments etc.
    With open 24 with tsb with years and no problems and its free

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

Best internet banking and mobile app I have seen is Ulster.
    However... It's like having an all singing,all dancing tv set to watch a bad movie.

You need a bank that you have confidence in,one that will deliver the goods for you if you have a case.
    That story a few posts upthread is a typical reason for leaving a bank.
    The bank official who discussed the loan should be familiar enough with current loan committee policy in there to have only put up something that they'd approve.
    Waiting weeks etc simply isn't acceptable.
    An application goes up Wednesday and is approved by Friday at the latest.
    Spend the 2 weeks by all means preparing the best case you can.
    But that's the way it should be and do ya know it is happening with one bank in this country,it should be happening with them all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Sam Kade wrote: »

Wow, that's the exact reason why i went with TSB. No more paper trail, no more reams of statements. If I want a particular period's statement, just go online and print it off. They have an easy and fast online transfer facility and you can pay bills easily online with them too. Was getting BOI charges of over €100 per quarter before I changed. Now it's free.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭loveta

reilig wrote: »
    Wow, that's the exact reason why i went with TSB. No more paper trail, no more reams of statements. If I want a particular period's statement, just go online and print it off. They have an easy and fast online transfer facility and you can pay bills easily online with them too. Was getting BOI charges of over €100 per quarter before I changed. Now it's free.

Just a quick question for you regarding TSB internet banking,
    How far back can you go to look at statments? i am with ulster and they will only let me go back up to 15 months why is this the reason i wonder...

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭severeoversteer

is ulster bank not constantly having technical problems:confused:

banks are fine, when you don't owe them money :D

fall head over heels for you when you have a lump sum,

bank of Ireland here,

bank of Ireland is kinda known as a business bank

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

is ulster bank not constantly having technical problems:confused:
    k

About once every 3 weeks on a Saturday there is a problem with the ulsterbank internet banking. Thats it apart from the mess up last year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

reilig wrote: »
    Most banks have statements now via email,including Boi and Aib.Free.
    print freely at will from your emails,just don't delete.

charges for copy statements should never arise.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Slightly off topic, but good few of yas use the CU for loans? Might be just me, bull anytime I look at their rates, they are utter rubbish, always over 10%, alongside usually needed to leave 1/3 the value of the loan in savings. Alongside that issue, they don't look too steady from a savings point of view now, with the Newbridge branch collapse, I've afew quid sitting in my local CU, gaining no interest, I think I'll withdrawn it soon, even if it only sits under the mattress for the minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭J DEERE

How are banks treating young farmers these days just starting off does anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭nashmach

Timmaay wrote: »
    Slightly off topic, but good few of yas use the CU for loans? Might be just me, bull anytime I look at their rates, they are utter rubbish, always over 10%, alongside usually needed to leave 1/3 the value of the loan in savings. Alongside that issue, they don't look too steady from a savings point of view now, with the Newbridge branch collapse, I've afew quid sitting in my local CU, gaining no interest, I think I'll withdrawn it soon, even if it only sits under the mattress for the minute.

I have argued this point all along as well Tim and when you read their accounts, at times it is shocking the amount of money they have up for bad debts!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

Timmaay wrote: »
    credit union are very handy when you need money asap. In our cu you need 20% of the amount you are borrowing in shares in your account. I know the interest rate is very high but there's a lot to be said for having the money the next day. No profit monitors needed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭loveta

whelan1 wrote: »
    credit union are very handy when you need money asap. In our cu you need 20% of the amount you are borrowing in shares in your account. I know the interest rate is very high but there's a lot to be said for having the money the next day. No profit monitors needed

Was in the local credit union about a two months ago no bother getting 10-20k out the door the next day which is handy if something comes up quick like say stock/jeep what ever but at 9.9%:eek::eek: i nearly fell over would surely use it if stuck but would be heading to the bank the next day to org proper finance ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭colrow

They've got a special offer in Cahirciveen of 6.9%, but they'll only lend upto whatever you allready have in there

Advertisement