Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2014 ** NO TICKET DISCUSSION ALLOWED ** see new mod note

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,320 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Somebody I know that knows somebody who knows a promoter said there's like 10 tickets left.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Sure that's exactly what they'd be told to say.

As much as I like the lineup it is far too niche to sell 35000 tickets in this country - pretty sure capacity is increased now as well.

She was told to firm up on how many freebies she wanted as tickets are selling better than previous years and she would have trouble adding to the numbers if she left it too late. She personally couldn't give a fiddlers how it sells and knew that we already had our tickets, it was to let us let our mates know if they were dithering.

But you obviously know better :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

My mate works for one of the sponsors and he was told to hold off until the very last minute with his own personal guestlist as the promoters wanted to make the event as unorganised as possible... but also because there was zero chance of the festival selling out.

Obviously, he obviously knows best... obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

She was told to firm up on how many freebies she wanted as tickets are selling better than previous years and she would have trouble adding to the numbers if she left it too late. She personally couldn't give a fiddlers how it sells and knew that we already had our tickets, it was to let us let our mates know if they were dithering.

But you obviously know better :rolleyes:

Alright I wasn't trying to get a rise out of you...my point is that it won't sell out and when ticket sales aren't great this is the kind of thing you'd expect to hear on forums and from word of mouth.

Having said that, I wouldn't be surprised if sales up until now have been very good. The initial lineup would have piqued the interest of a lot of people who haven't been to EP in a while. What I question is whether there will be a big name added to sell the 230e tickets in July and August.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭AlanDeGenerous

http://pitchfork.com/news/55453-interpol-announce-new-album-el-pintor/

Interpol just announced their new album, still have my fingers crossed they'll be added! Plenty of free space around the end of August on their current tour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

I'll be very happy if they are added.

I remember feeling relatively happy after the first announcement came, especially when some of us thought Chromeo were coming down the line. As time has gone by though, and more underwhelming (IMO) acts added I'm getting more and more 'meh' about it.

I'll still be going, still have a lot of acts I'm unfamiliar with to listen to, and no doubt will still have a great time - but this must be the least excited I've ever been for picnic.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

I'd put money on it selling out before the festival starts.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

I'm with you on that.

Although I would say that a lot of tickets have sold earlier this year, because there was such a scramble last year for tickets. People are making sure they have their tickets rather than waiting till August before buying them (i.e. me).

Have to admit that loyalty code thingy was ludicrous this year. I unclick from all mailings from everyone, but because I unclicked it, I didn't get my loyalty code from Ticketmaster.
    Then went to the EP website, they said you could give three of these items of alternative info to get your code. So sent an email with the three items, and got a reply back saying we can't accept them as we (as in EP) don't have access to that info, (Ticketmaster had access to that info ).
    So because I unclicked a box 3 or 4 years ago when joining Ticketmaster couldn't get loyalty code :mad::mad:

Then had to go through four years of bank statements to find EP sales to bring down to the local music shop. Can tell you was not a happy bunny that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Queen-Mise wrote: »
    I'm with you on that.

Although I would say that a lot of tickets have sold earlier this year, because there was such a scramble last year for tickets. People are making sure they have their tickets rather than waiting till August before buying them (i.e. me).

Have to admit that loyalty code thingy was ludicrous this year. I unclick from all mailings from everyone, but because I unclicked it, I didn't get my loyalty code from Ticketmaster.
    Then went to the EP website, they said you could give three of these items of alternative info to get your code. So sent an email with the three items, and got a reply back saying we can't accept them as we (as in EP) don't have access to that info, (Ticketmaster had access to that info ).
    So because I unclicked a box 3 or 4 years ago when joining Ticketmaster couldn't get loyalty code :mad::mad:

Then had to go through four years of bank statements to find EP sales to bring down to the local music shop. Can tell you was not a happy bunny that day.

It really wasn't that hard to get the loyalty code I found. Just three random photos worked fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

It really wasn't that hard to get the loyalty code I found. Just three random photos worked fine.

Probably. I looked for loyalty codes, but couldn't find them.

The whole thing just annoyed me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Catmologen

Mr.S wrote: »
    The loyality scheme set up is weird, I mean anyone can just get photos and pretend they've been 3+ times. I know they don't care and it's essentially just earlybird tiered pricing, but it must be some stress for FR staff to go through each.

I wonder if EP will ever adopt the system other major festivals use, unique tickets that are registered to the holder and soley online - other festivals that do this use it to easily give people pre sale links / discounted tickets.

Seems much easier to implement then trawling through emails with photos for the people who don't use TM accounts. Also throws in the benefit of reducing touting, lost / stolen / fake tickets etc.

Last year it served as good publicity for the festival, it created a buzz and got people talking about it. It was a bit of a masterstroke really considering the bad press the festival was getting due to the delays and court case etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭larrymiller

Anyone take a guess when the next announcement will be?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Eroticplants

Death Grips, for sure. Mykki Blanco would be good. Lykki Li is out, she's in the states for it. La Roux is possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

Death Grips, for sure. Mykki Blanco would be good. Lykki Li is out, she's in the states for it. La Roux is possible.

Death Grips for sure? How do you reckon? That would be epic for Get Got alone!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Eroticplants

They've just released their new album and it features Bjork as an instrument. For them not to get Death Grips would just be a crime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

I bought mine in the middle of July last year and I'm pretty sure it sold out shortly after that. I remember there being a mad rush from people trying to get their hands on tickets at the last minute. I'm hoping to get mine soon. I wanted to get it a while ago, but I've had to prioritize money elsewhere. Really hoping I'll have a ticket before the end of the month.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

The loyality scheme set up is weird, I mean anyone can just get photos and pretend they've been 3+ times. I know they don't care and it's essentially just earlybird tiered pricing, but it must be some stress for FR staff to go through each.

I wonder if EP will ever adopt the system other major festivals use, unique tickets that are registered to the holder and soley online - other festivals that do this use it to easily give people pre sale links / discounted tickets.

Seems much easier to implement then trawling through emails with photos for the people who don't use TM accounts. Also throws in the benefit of reducing touting, lost / stolen / fake tickets etc.

economy of scales, not that many festvals adopt the registered ticket system in uk and ireland, only Glasto and thats a serious step up in size and was plagued with issues before it was introduced with the ridiculous demand, Probably do more damage than good to a small scale festival barely hitting full capacity more years than not

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Electric Würms possible for EP . They are side project of Flaming Lips.
    Playing "The End Of The Road Festival" and London on the 1st Sept

Any chance Jack White could be announced?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭desultory

Is it just me or is there a lack of excitement or hype for this? 3 months to go and just..nothing.
    I remember last year being extremely excited at this stage and couldn't wait to get there whereas this year there's an air of..well if it was cancelled in the morning my reaction would probably be 'meh'

Hopefully that changes in the coming months as it was a lot of fun in the past

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Toast

Having to sit watch the numbers of people looking for tickets on Toutless who didn't get them last year and deal with people offering all sorts over the odds for them I can tell you that it isn't about who is playing. EP is the last remaining "be at" event in the country and when August hits and the hype sets in there are plenty of people will happily pay the full buck once their hopes for freebies/cheapies has evaporated. Short of a washout Summer/August there really is no chance of it going into the last week with tickets still on sale.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Any chance Jack White could be announced?

Nope , he is playing RHK this month

• Registered Users Posts: 25 gary at black house

I was one of the sorry souls who left it too late last year, ended up paying 150 to a scammer for a "ticket", and spent a good week refreshing pages for tickets until I gave up hope a week before the event. This year I've secured my ticket through the installment plan, which by the way is a big help.

Looking forward to St. Vincent, Stephen Malkmus and Temples to name but a few. Also looking forward to the general excitement and vibe that I've heard so much about over the years!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

I was really hoping BANKS might have been added, but it looks like she's playing Longitude. Would have loved to have seen her. Looking forward to her album in September.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭desultory

50 euro bet?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Toast

last years lineup was very different to this years, it had a lot more pull factor, you'd see the poster and the popular bands of the summer would stick out, ala Disclosure, CHVRCHES etc. People would go mostly for ~the festival fun experience~ and then catch the bands they've heard on the radio.

I get what you're saying but I think the momentum of last year will carry it (and I think the promoters know it too). People have some very interesting ideas of who is going to be added in their minds (some very disconnected from reality) and have bought tickets on the back of last years festival and their hopes for future additions. If the sales of the early birds were strong (and I have no reason to believe they weren't) that'll be enough to seed enough groups who'll pester their friends who are holding out. A string of bad weather running up to it is the only thing that will stop the inevitable at this point.

The question is, is there going to be 1 more big act announced to supposedly sell the Sunday tickets, or are we kidding ourselves?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

I'm hoping Perfume Genius will be added, though hope he'll play in one of the small tents or Body & Soul arena, though will probably end up at 3pm on the main stage on Sunday!
    He's playing End of the Road on the Saturday and Glasgow on the Monday so just enough time to skip over to Laois.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Wouldn't it be funny if the festival was renamed the Electric Picnicland.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Dubhthamlacht

I'm hoping Perfume Genius will be added, though hope he'll play in one of the small tents or Body & Soul arena, though will probably end up at 3pm on the main stage on Sunday!
    He's playing End of the Road on the Saturday and Glasgow on the Monday so just enough time to skip over to Laois.

It would seem logical to book acts that are in the region and End Of the Road's timing makes sense to get some bands who are playing there. Looking through their line up - I could see Marissa Nadler, Wye Oak, Black Lips and EMA being the type of acts EP would book. Yo La Tengo would be great, but not sure if that's realistic.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement