Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2014 ** NO TICKET DISCUSSION ALLOWED ** see new mod note

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Halloween Jack

I wonder is it that difficult to get something like a Leftfield or BoC/AFX DJ set. I mean all you need is someone familiar with one of them to hit play and it would still be incredible.

Boards of canada Havent played live anywhere since 2001 afaik, and i dont imagine it was due to a shortage of offers.

Id imagine Aphex would be nigh on impossible too, a lot of those warp guys play if and when they want and dont really tour as such.

In saying that there are literally hundreds of amazing electronic acts that could be booked for sod all.

I remember seeing redshape live at ep years ago and was amazing.

Sorry, think i misinterpreted your post, there are plenty of djs out there who play that kind of music, id imagine if you went down the roster of a few of those labels you would find act willing to play no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭Jesus Juice

More Dj/Electronic indeed, Life has really whetted my appetite. All my band needs are catered for at this stage.

Anyone else find it annoying last year having no where to go raving in the Main Arena itself? That Bracardi place was uncomfortably packed, most Dj's were on early in the day and theres no way you'd wanna trek to the Red Bull Academy that early.

Hope they sort that out and just have them all in the Little Big Tent.

I prefer to wait after

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Now i know Bad Turtle my go into overload but i was reading the Indo earlier and it had a quick interview with Dennis Desmond (MCD/Festival Republic) and he was talking about bands playing big gigs/festivals this year . He mentioned the likes of AM/Macklemore/Chic/Beck etc and then also said Queens of the Stone Age. Now he either was referring to QOTSA with Reading/Leeds , Belsonic(but i dont think Desmond has anything to do with Belsonic) or EP :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Boards of canada Havent played live anywhere since 2001 afaik, and i dont imagine it was due to a shortage of offers.

Id imagine Aphex would be nigh on impossible too, a lot of those warp guys play if and when they want and dont really tour as such.

In saying that there are literally hundreds of amazing electronic acts that could be booked for sod all.

I remember seeing redshape live at ep years ago and was amazing.

Sorry, think i misinterpreted your post, there are plenty of djs out there who play that kind of music, id imagine if you went down the roster of a few of those labels you would find act willing to play no problem.

Yeah I meant the latter actually! Just regular DJ's being given a slot to play that kind of music. AFX is down for glasto but I doubt he'll do anything beyond that. Even Squarepusher is probably out of bounds at this stage but as you said plenty of acts to choose from so hopefully they'll be announced soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,895 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Body and soul had the right job with reckless in love stage and my house, constant dance music from mid afternoon on till 3/4am and it was just great to keep going back to and ending the night there.
    I know the bacardi bar is there but it's full of posers and always jammers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭NewCorkLad

Has here anyone stayed in the normal campervan area before?

Can you give me an idea of what the atmosphere is like at night and during the day in this area?

Are you far from the main area or is it similar to the camping?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Eroticplants

NewCorkLad wrote: »

Can you give me an idea of what the atmosphere is like at night and during the day in this area?

Stayed there last year, it's amazing for the craic with neighbours.
    The Thursday night up there was bleak as nothing was open bar our camping site but then people started to drink etc and the craic was mighty.
    Made some great friends that we hung out with over the weekend.

It is VERY far from the main arena, it's behind the Janis Joplin camping area if that helps you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,673 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

NewCorkLad wrote: »

the atmosphere is great! the Friday of the picnic in our campervan few years ago was rocking. when it pisses its a great place to be also. only negative its a real far walk to the gigs

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

Will definitely be checking out these guys, pretty tasty!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,562 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

In terms of dance music there is surely a lot more to be added, the entire RBMA stage yet to be announced, still to be an announcement from Bacardi from their stage is there? Plus I'm holding out for some kind of dance act to play a night time slot on the main stage.

Already announced we have James Murphy, Annie Mac, Duke Dumont, Bicep and Ejeca which isn't too bad so far. The only thing about the RBMA/woods is that it is very techno heavy, at Body & Soul I found the Reckless in Love stage to be a better version of the rave in the woods because the music was a bit lighter and it had a slightly different theme every night, whereas at picnic it was just banging techno for 3 nights on the spin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭PaddyPooHead

In terms of dance music there is surely a lot more to be added, the entire RBMA stage yet to be announced, still to be an announcement from Bacardi from their stage is there? Plus I'm holding out for some kind of dance act to play a night time slot on the main stage.

Already announced we have James Murphy, Annie Mac, Duke Dumont, Bicep and Ejeca which isn't too bad so far. The only thing about the RBMA/woods is that it is very techno heavy, at Body & Soul I found the Reckless in Love stage to be a better version of the rave in the woods because the music was a bit lighter and it had a slightly different theme every night, whereas at picnic it was just banging techno for 3 nights on the spin.

Has Ejeca been announced? Doesn't say so on the lineup. Maybe I'm blind...

I got an email about it from Bandsintown. Came up on his facebook too if you scroll down to the posts from June 20th https://www.facebook.com/Ejeca

Awesome, Ejeca's great.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Man, after Jon Hopkins at Body & Soul festival I'm hankering to see him again, so far he is only announced for Dimensions festival on 29th August, so he could still play 30th or 31st and judging by the crowd at the Midnight Circus he would be a popular enough choice to book, either by Body & Soul themselves or EP for one of the main dance tents or stages.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Yeah Jon Hopkins or Rustie would be perfect for one of the tents. I'd even like to see Hudson Mohawke back again although it's unlikely as he's played for the last two years.

I'd love to see Mount Kimbie, think they were there last year, missed em :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,895 ✭✭✭Rfrip

I've been listening Annie mac on soundcloud and she's right up my street, I agree with u on body and soul. Something housey and electroniciky :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Frank B and xxxy were the last 2 on Saturday night, and Chez Damier was 1am-3am on Sunday night, none of those were playing techno. a few others during the day wouldn't have been playing techno either.

i find the Reckless in Love stage (and others) to be pretty boring tbh. the same generic house/disco most of the time.

Frank B and xxxy were the last 2 on Saturday night, and Chez Damier was 1am-3am on Sunday night, none of those were playing techno. a few others during the day wouldn't have been playing techno either.

i find the Reckless in Love stage (and others) to be pretty boring tbh. the same generic house/disco most of the time.

True I actually forgot I saw Frank B and New Jackson down there, but in general it was mainly techno as far as I remember? Different strokes for different folks really, I don't think the rave in the woods at picnic would work as well if it was more disco/house like Reckless in Love - but from a personal point of view I would prefer it. Found it very difficult to endure a full set from Ben Klock down there!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 ersemi

Hi Lads,

I'm thinking of going to EP this year and it would be my first time. Is it possible to get some sleep at the camping? Or should I look for any other type of accommodation?

thanks

Joé

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭MattD

If you're ok with the idea of camping in the first place, I don't see the problem with it. I've never been actually bothered by noise levels at night.

Just don't do anything silly like set up next to the funfair or major walkways and keep a distance from the Rave in the woods and you should be fine!

I intend to be smoked out of it come night time so I shall not be worrying about sleep :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭Rough Sleeper

ersemi wrote: »
    Hi Lads,

I'm thinking of going to EP this year and it would be my first time. Is it possible to get some sleep at the camping? Or should I look for any other type of accommodation?

thanks

Joé
    This all depends on how easily you can sleep in uncomfortable conditions and a moderately noisy environment, and how much sleep you need to function.

People there are partying and a lot of them are on bangers so a good chunk of campers will still be going strong till the sunrise. Most are pretty chill and keep the volume down to chatting level but some, the younger crowd in particular, are fairly loud and if you're a light sleeper and pull the short straw in terms of neighbours, you'll struggle to get your forty winks. With Jah's blessing, the sun will be out and when it starts to heat up around 10am you'd have a better chance catching forty winks in an oven than the greenhouse your tent becomes.

Basically, it's not a particulary conducive environment to getting a good kip. 3 or so hours sleep a day would do me fine but I realise that not everyone can keep going fuelled purely by twosies, stimulants and good vibes. If you really value your sleep you might be better off getting accommodation or, as a compromise, opting for the quiet camping site.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

Hi Lads,

thanks

Joé

Bring a pair of decent wax earplugs and you'll be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

And bring an air mattress and a pillow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭desultory

and buy a portable electric pump if you're bringing an air mattress. Trust me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

desultory wrote: »
    and buy a portable electric pump if you're bringing an air mattress. Trust me.
    I've never brought an air bed, but I did have the joy of watching my mates face turn from joy (having finally reached the campsite after lugging his and his girlfriends stuff through the forest) to despair when he realised he'd have to blow up a double air mattress. Don't think he was able to breathe properly for the rest of the weekend. Didn't even manage to get his celebratory can in until after the sun went down too. Poor bloke.

Moral of the story, bring a pump :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Hi Lads,

thanks

Joé

Maybe I could wake you up at 4 am after coming back from Rave in the woods with Aphex Twin's Drill n Bass and a bunch of post atomic mutants leaping about the place har har.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭desultory

AdMMM wrote: »
    I've never brought an air bed, but I did have the joy of watching my mates face turn from joy (having finally reached the campsite after lugging his and his girlfriends stuff through the forest) to despair when he realised he'd have to blow up a double air mattress. Don't think he was able to breathe properly for the rest of the weekend. Didn't even manage to get his celebratory can in until after the sun went down too. Poor bloke.

Moral of the story, bring a pump :)

I brought a massive hand pump and it still took me well over an hour. I sweated more then than I ever have. Couldn't lift my arms for the weekend!

Portable electric pump for a tenner, does it in 5 minutes flat :)

And having an air bed makes the whole camping experience 10X better

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭freddiemoore

I don't see any need for a mattress. I'm sure it be nice but I'd never consider bringin one, ground really isn't that bad!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement