Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2014 ** NO TICKET DISCUSSION ALLOWED ** see new mod note

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

TheStook wrote: »
    This is my first EP so just wondering whether its possible to drive up on the thursday night and pitch tents then?

Unless you are a weekend volunteer or worker, you won't get onsite till Friday, unless you've a campervan, campervans get access on the Thursday evening.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭TheStook

Unless you are a weekend volunteer or worker, you won't get onsite till Friday, unless you've a campervan, campervans get access on the Thursday evening.

Ah okay no worries, is there a big rush on Friday morning then?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Ah okay no worries, is there a big rush on Friday morning then?

Not really. going up early is great. You'll get searched like fook because the security people will be still figuring out how much time to spend per person. But then you get to pick exactly where you want to put your tent :)

Not really. going up early is great. You'll get searched like fook because the security people will be still figuring out how much time to spend per person. But then you get to pick exactly where you want to put your tent :)

Maybe we wont go too early then, how throughly do they search? I assume if I have some grass in my sleeping bag or something I should be okay? (for my own personal consumption of course)

Maybe we wont go too early then, how throughly do they search? I assume if I have some grass in my sleeping bag or something I should be okay? (for my own personal consumption of course)

Not going to condone anything illegal but you know yourself, it won't be a strip search but if you look dodgy enough they'll give you a fair shake down. They're more looking for glass bottles, knives, etc. Didn't hear of anybody getting caught for drugs on their way in. Most of the people carrying large amounts don't come in the front gate anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Not going to condone anything illegal but you know yourself, it won't be a strip search but if you look dodgy enough they'll give you a fair shake down. They're more looking for glass bottles, knives, etc. Didn't hear of anybody getting caught for drugs on their way in. Most of the people carrying large amounts don't come in the front gate anyway

What way do they come in out of interest.

WRT the other guy I drove up for around 11, plenty of parking and my pick of the camping spots.

What way do they come in out of interest.

WRT the other guy I drove up for around 11, plenty of parking and my pick of the camping spots.

Lots just sneak in. The same kind of people who are going just to sell drugs are the ones who don't pay in. Suppose they're there on business not leisure :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

If one was to bring in...cigarettes...would one assume they would be safe tucked into your shoe or some other equally hidden area? Yes...cigarettes :P

Lots just sneak in. The same kind of people who are going just to sell drugs are the ones who don't pay in. Suppose they're there on business not leisure :p

I suppose, it's a dodgy business all the same. One of my friends father is a gard and two years back he got his son into the undercover tent. He said the fellas there couldn't look more like the normal, festival type. It makes me very wary of buying from random guys on their business trips. I wonder if an undercover offers to sell you something and you agree can you get in trouble? Or do you just have to offer to sell it to them if they ask?
    If one was to bring in...cigarettes...would one assume they would be safe tucked into your shoe or some other equally hidden area? Yes...cigarettes :P

You'd get away with less than that. Just stick all of it in your folded up tent somewhere, or do what my friend did and bring a loaf of bread and stick it all in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭Sappy404

Me and the missus have just been told we can have a spot in a mate's campervan. We already had our normal camping tickets. Am I right in assuming the campervan ticket you buy is per vehicle, not per occupant, or do we need to upgrade?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Sappy404 wrote: »
    Me and the missus have just been told we can have a spot in a mate's campervan. We already had our normal camping tickets. Am I right in assuming the campervan ticket you buy is per vehicle, not per occupant, or do we need to upgrade?

You'd have to ring Ticketmaster to find out.

I bought a couple of regular camping tickets last year but then rang to change them to Family Camping. Guy on the phone in TM told me that he could only change one of the tickets to a Family Camping ticket as the system was only showing one left. The amount of times I had to explain to him that we were a couple going and would be sharing the same tent so there was no difference in changing both of them. He finally got what was saying and spoke to a supervisor who agreed to change both of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭CdeC

Sappy404 wrote: »

The campervan ticket is per vehicle. I normally go in with a campervan and then lug my tent into the site from there as it's much handier.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭pale blue dot cotton

I wonder if an undercover offers to sell you something and you agree can you get in trouble? Or do you just have to offer to sell it to them if they ask?

No, you can't. I think that's called entrapment. Especially the quantities you'd be buying at a festival. Not worth their while. Offering to sell to a Gard is a big no no. Be careful with that one.

I think they're easy to spot. Usually alone. Usually fresh looking. Usually have a jacket or a jumper tied around their waste. Usually wearing shoes, or runners they usually wear to the gym, with jeans, and usually not on drugs, asking you and your mates can they buy drugs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Ticket bought! Yaaaay!

I think its time for some sort of announcement for the main bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭PaddyPooHead

Ticket bought! Yaaaay!

Did you have to pay full price or are were you still able to get early bird?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

make sure you don't have any cigarette-related memorabilia loose in your bag either as that could warrant a full strip search of you or your bag.

If you have a sleeping bag stuffed into its tie up cover you can also stuff things in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,222 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Tape them to your gooch.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

CMOD:
    Lots of drug talk going on here. Of itself it's not a bad topic but when the conversation veers into methods of avoiding detection, ways of sourcing and of how to spot undercover garda we have crossed the line into an unacceptable standard for Boards.ie to host.

Cease and desist please.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Did you have to pay full price or are were you still able to get early bird?

Early bird!

• Advertisement

Another quick question, is there a limit on the amount of cans/bottles per person? I'm not that big a drinker but I assume a crate of 20 or so cans is okay to bring in?

Another quick question, is there a limit on the amount of cans/bottles per person? I'm not that big a drinker but I assume a crate of 20 or so cans is okay to bring in?

It's a lot, I think it was 2 slabs per person or 48 cans as far as I can remember. Different for vodka and wine but glass is banned full stop.

So no one talking about Leccie Piccie then, who do you think will be in the next announcement.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 AhWhatNow

I'd ~like~ to see at least one of either Baths, Cashmere Cat and Chrome Sparks get added, but I'm not sure how likely that is.
    I'm going to guess Rufus, Lxury, Jessy Lanza and Slow Magic as possible additions.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,895 ✭✭✭Rfrip

AhWhatNow wrote: »
    I'd ~like~ to see at least one of either Baths, Cashmere Cat and Chrome Sparks get added, but I'm not sure how likely that is.
    I'm going to guess Rufus, Lxury, Jessy Lanza and Slow Magic as possible additions.

I love that slow magic album and I did enjoy them at body and soul but there was a lot of stopping between each song which annoyed me

• Registered Users Posts: 11,793 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Mr.S wrote: »
    I don't think i've ever seen anyone stopped for having to much drink going in, so I wouldn't worry!

They might stop you if you have loads and loads but persume that would be cos they might be afraid you'd sell it. Don't think those rules are anything to do with health and safety, more about protecting profits of bars on site.

So no one talking about Leccie Piccie then, who do you think will be in the next announcement.

Dance/Electronic:
    The Prodigy/Orbital/someone like that (pretty unlikely)
    Baauer
    Ben UFO/Pearson Sound/Pangaea
    Cashmere Cat
    Crystal Castles
    Darq E Freaker (would be unreal!)
    Dusky
    Four Tet (unlikely, but you never know)
    Hudson Mohawke
    Lunice
    Infected Mushroom (unlikely)
    Joy Orbison
    Boddika
    Kavinsky
    Machinedrum
    Modeselektor/Moderat
    Nero
    SBTRKT
    Skream
    T.E.E.D.
    Tobacco
    Zomby

If i got 3 or 4 from that list I'd be delighted, maybe it's wishful thinking. I honestly wouldn't even mind some pretty big artists that don't really fit the EP 'style' like Bassnectar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

Bassnectar was deadly in 2012!

Cheers to whoever recommended Glass Animals earlier in the thread, they're fuggin' great! Is there any other relatively unknown gems in the current lineup?

Bassnectar was deadly in 2012!

Cheers to whoever recommended Glass Animals earlier in the thread, they're fuggin' great! Is there any other relatively unknown gems in the current lineup?

Didn't know he played EP in 2012, find that surprising given the style of his music. Would be great if they got him again his new album is a stormer!

For unknown gems I'd recommend Kaytranada and his mixtape Kaytra Todo. FKA Twigs is really good although she hasn't released much, try her EP2, it's quite ethereal trip hop. Also, try Ejeca and Bicep if you haven't already and White Denim is really good with an extremely solid discography.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭pmalone

Didn't know he played EP in 2012, find that surprising given the style of his music. Would be great if they got him again his new album is a stormer!

For unknown gems I'd recommend Kaytranada and his mixtape Kaytra Todo. FKA Twigs is really good although she hasn't released much, try her EP2, it's quite ethereal trip hop. Also, try Ejeca and Bicep if you haven't already and White Denim is really good with an extremely solid discography.

Really don't get why Bassnectar wouldn't suit EP. Perfect for EP IMHO. 2012 Set was excellent IIRC.

another gem down the list is Vancouver Sleep Clinic (Bon Iver meets Sigur Ros) ... and probably shouldn't mention Jungle or that tent will be jammers (don't tell anyone that this is the most anticipated set of the weekend after Portishead). In the last 2 months Jungle have suddenly become "mainstream"... Damn ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement