Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2014 ** NO TICKET DISCUSSION ALLOWED ** see new mod note

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,546 ✭✭✭Duff

These guys need to be added

Best up and coming band since Arctic Monkeys 10 years ago. Met them after their gig in Workmans a few months ago, sound lads.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Got to see Nile Rodgers and Chic last night. Brilliant. Just brilliant. Perfect good vibe party vibe and you knew every single song.
    Definitely will be going again at EP :)
    even got his plec :)
    10524724_10152988263738032_9026550062784833940_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭PadraigOK

Jazzzman wrote: »
    Is that your less than subtle way of saying the organisers can do no more and that I shouldn't dare call the line-up weak? Regardless of who or who isn't available to perform, it's a poor line up.

If you're relying on Lilly Allen, Paolo Nutini and Sinead O'Connor as second headliners then lets face it - you're struggling. Chic, Blondie and Simple Minds aren't exactly exciting prospects either.
    No, it was a genuine question Jazzzman. Lineups aren't a wishlist as you are probably aware and promoters are restricted by the acts touring in a given year, particularly at that time of the year. I was just interested in who you'd have on the lineup. There's a few off of EOTR, Bestival and Festival No.6 I'd love to see in Stradbally but know that due to schedules, exclusivity deals etc, it probably won't happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Jazzzman

PadraigOK wrote: »
    No, it was a genuine question Jazzzman. Lineups aren't a wishlist as you are probably aware and promoters are restricted by the acts touring in a given year, particularly at that time of the year. I was just interested in who you'd have on the lineup. There's a few off of EOTR, Bestival and Festival No.6 I'd love to see in Stradbally but know that due to schedules, exclusivity deals etc, it probably won't happen.

EP didn't seem to have too much trouble in the past when booking acts for Aug/Sept. :confused:

This festival has been around a relatively long time now. I'd imagine the line up is poor because they're not coughing up the money for certain bands.

Like I said, the list of second headliners is beyond weak. Mogwai? Geez, as much as I like their old stuff they're hardly second headliners.

It seems you're not allowed to have an opinion on the line up if it's not complementary.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

EP didn't seem to have too much trouble in the past when booking acts for Aug/Sept. :confused:

This festival has been around a relatively long time now. I'd imagine the line up is poor because they're not coughing up the money for certain bands.

Like I said, the list of second headliners is beyond weak. Mogwai? Geez, as much as I like their old stuff they're hardly second headliners.

It seems you're not allowed to have an opinion on the line up if it's not complementary.

Go to Bestival or Festival No 6 then dude, as its the only one left in Ireland at that particular time, EP actually has a better line up than both these it has to be said.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

I genuinely don't get all the hatred for Sinead O'Connor in this and various other threads. Do people not realise what an amazing back catalogue she has? She was a gifted songwriter, and still is a gifted vocalist with an inimitable style.

Her mental health issues should surely evoke sympathy rather than ridicule, and let's not forget she very bravely jeopardised her career to attack the leaders of the Catholic Church long before Ireland, or indeed the world had faced up to the horrific truth of the scale of child abuse within the organisation.

To put her down as a second rate artist, and place her in the same sentence as the entirely vacuous Lily Allen is ridiculous to me.

On a lighter note, I am getting seriously excited. Metronomy are really doing it for me right now. I reckon the Other Voices stage is going to leave me in a state of high anxiety though. What if I'm missing something really special whilst soaking up the general atmosphere? I think it's going to interfere with rambling time!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

sadie06 wrote: »
    I genuinely don't get all the hatred for Sinead O'Connor in this and various other threads. Do people not realise what an amazing back catalogue she has? She was a gifted songwriter, and still is a gifted vocalist with an inimitable style.

Her mental health issues should surely evoke sympathy rather than ridicule, and let's not forget she very bravely jeopardised her career to attack the leaders of the Catholic Church long before Ireland, or indeed the world had faced up to the horrific truth of the scale of child abuse within the organisation.

To put her down as a second rate artist, and place her in the same sentence as the entirely vacuous Lily Allen is ridiculous to me.

On a lighter note, I am getting seriously excited. Metronomy are really doing it for me right now. I reckon the Other Voices stage is going to leave me in a state of high anxiety though. What if I'm missing something really special whilst soaking up the general atmosphere? I think it's going to interfere with rambling time!

Never been a fan of Sinead O'Connor myself but I did like some of her first album the Lion and the Cobra, I will probably just check out another stage myself when she's on, but Sadie enjoy her, there will be one or two clashes through the weekend I'd imagine.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭PadraigOK

Who would you like to see though? 3 headliners and 3 subs. GO!

I for one am looking forward to Mogwai's set at EP. Missed them at Glasto and actually like the new album so looking forward to hearing those cuts live.

By all means, have an opinion, but in the interest of healthy debate, back it up with an alternative.

Never been a fan of Sinead O'Connor myself but I did like some of her first album the Lion and the Cobra, I will probably just check out another stage myself when she's on, but Sadie enjoy her, there will be one or two clashes through the weekend I'd imagine.

Hey there bodhrandude! I really don't expect everyone to be a fan at all, it's just the ridicule I can't understand.

Was listening to a bit of Rufus Wainwright last night and had forgotten how much I love him. Has he ever done EP? He is touring, and has a gap in the schedule!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Still don't really see how it's a poor line-up. Some very interesting artists on there. I'm actually wondering if I'm even going to get to see everyone I want to see. I'd say there'll be a clash or two somewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

I kind of agree with you but who is there who is readily available that we can honestly say they didn't book for purely financial reasons? You could argue for The Prodigy who are playing ReS the week before, QOTSA and Vampire Weekend from Reading & Leeds but other than that there's not much going. Outkast, Slowdive and Portishead are quite a coup IMO and highly likely we won't get a chance to see them again, the likes of Sinead O'Connor/Blondie/Chic/PSB don't interest me I admit but I never expected a lineup which catered completely to my taste. I still expect a lot of electronic acts to be added so there should be plenty to keep us busy at the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Go to Bestival or Festival No 6 then dude, as its the only one left in Ireland at that particular time, EP actually has a better line up than both these it has to be said.

no way, Bestival's lineup is far, far better than EP's imo

Caribou
    SBTRKT
    Basement Jaxx
    Darkside
    Tune-Yards
    Busta Rhymes
    Wild Beasts
    Factory Floor
    Bizarre Ride II The Pharcyde
    Daniel Avery
    Dan le Sac vs Scroobius Pip
    Mouse on Mars
    Boys Noize
    Diplo
    Pional
    Skream
    Derrick Carter
    Green Velvet
    Jackmaster & Oneman
    James Blake/1800-Dinosaur
    DJ Yoda
    Mad Professor
    Jimmy Edgar
    John Talabot
    Horse Meat Disco
    Ame
    Dusky
    Congo Natty
    South London Ordnance
    T.Williams
    Shadow Child
    Will
    Saul
    Plastician
    Elijah & Skilliam

not to mention plenty of acts that EP has...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭BadTurtle

I think Jazzzmans reasoning is he doesn't like the lineup, so it must be rubbish.
    My reasoning is, I like the lineup, so it's great!
    Also, Fatboy Slim and The Killers played the last 2 years. Now those were **** bookings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

no way, Bestival's lineup is far, far better than EP's imo

Caribou
    SBTRKT
    Basement Jaxx
    Darkside
    Tune-Yards
    Busta Rhymes
    Wild Beasts
    Factory Floor
    Bizarre Ride II The Pharcyde
    Daniel Avery
    Dan le Sac vs Scroobius Pip
    Mouse on Mars
    Boys Noize
    Diplo
    Pional
    Skream
    Derrick Carter
    Green Velvet
    Jackmaster & Oneman
    James Blake/1800-Dinosaur
    DJ Yoda
    Mad Professor
    Jimmy Edgar
    John Talabot
    Horse Meat Disco
    Ame
    Dusky
    Congo Natty
    South London Ordnance
    T.Williams
    Shadow Child
    Will
    Saul
    Plastician
    Elijah & Skilliam

not to mention plenty of acts that EP has...

and the mighty Major Lazer!

I'm inclined to agree but it depends on what kind of music you listen to really...I know people who would look at that list and not recognize anybody apart from Caribou and basement jaxx for one song, but would jump at the chance to see Lily Allen and Paolo Nutini - so to them the Bestival lineup is "crap".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭MattD

Bestival also has double the capacity of EP and sells out annually and there doesn't seem to be a load of legal ramifications surrounding its ownership every year. The fact is that though EP is now the biggest festival in Ireland, it's quite average across Europe.

That plus the courthouse circus every year recently makes it a bit difficult to attract the same quality that other bigger festivals have, I'd imagine. I for one think that EP have punched above their weight to get the headliners that they did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭bobrawn20

Seeing that line up I think I might travel across for bestival..great way to handle the post festival blues

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea

Has anyone here camped in the family campsite? This will be my first year bringing my daughter for an overnight. We'll set up in family on the Friday, she's being picked up Saturday evening, will we be allowed to stay in family camping without her or is it like the soul kids arena, no child = no entry? We're planning on moving tent on the Saturday but realistically I doubt we'll want to :P

I think you'll be fine once you are in. You probably won't be able to enter the main arena via the Soul Kids area without a child, but that's no big problem.

I doubt you will want to move!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

..I won two tickets to bestival last year and got them changed to be this year.. so im doing EP then bestival then being rolled back to ireland in a little padded box because I'll have to cope with rejoining the real world

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

Well said, Sinead's a star.

Her talent's only surpassed by her courage, something the moron's on here having a go/ridiculing her wouldn't know anything about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea

I think you'll be fine once you are in. You probably won't be able to enter the main arena via the Soul Kids area without a child, but that's no big problem.

I doubt you will want to move!

Ok that's great! Yeah I doubt we'll move tbh! Is it quieter in family? It will be nice to escape to it at god knows what hour after the madness of the main campsites!

PadraigOK wrote: »
    Who would you like to see though? 3 headliners and 3 subs. GO!

I for one am looking forward to Mogwai's set at EP. Missed them at Glasto and actually like the new album so looking forward to hearing those cuts live.

By all means, have an opinion, but in the interest of healthy debate, back it up with an alternative.

You'd have to leave the country to find an alternative. Ireland is not offering a good festival line up this year.

BadTurtle wrote: »
    I think Jazzzmans reasoning is he doesn't like the lineup, so it must be rubbish.
    My reasoning is, I like the lineup, so it's great!
    Also, Fatboy Slim and The Killers played the last 2 years. Now those were **** bookings.

Cheers but my reasoning is compared to previous line ups, this is poor.

I think ticket sales, or lack there of, will back me up on that.

Please respect peoples opinions. If I declare the line up weak, I don't need to establish which bands weren't booked that are touring/ offer alternatives.

A quick look at say 2007 line up... (I've edited it down a lot)

FRIDAY

Manic Street Preachers
    Modest Mouse
    Oppenheimer
    Bjork
    LCD Soundsystem
    Hot Chip
    Mr Scruff

SATURDAY
    Beastie Boys
    Erasure
    Jarvis Cocker
    MIA
    Spiritualized
    Ladytron
    Architecture In Helsinki
    Fionn Regan
    The Undertones
    The Jesus And Mary Chain
    Chemical Brothers
    Polyphonic Spree
    Magic Numbers
    Final Fantasy
    Ratatat
    Camera Obscura
    The Field

SUNDAY
    Primal Scream
    Iggy And The Stooges
    Sonic Youth
    Soul II Soul
    Clap Your Hands Say Yeah
    Fight Like Apes
    Beastie Boys
    The Fall
    Bat For Lashes
    Simple Kid
    Of Montreal

I mean geez.....they are worlds apart.

Ya you're right but you still haven't suggested what can be done to change it. Who is available that hasn't been booked?

No point just moaning if you won't offer any insight or constructive criticism. Are you even going?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,896 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Well said, Sinead's a star.

Her talent's only surpassed by her courage, something the moron's on here having a go/ridiculing her wouldn't know anything about.

Oh I don't doubt her talent at all. I tease on this thread that she's a dead cert every year, herself, Gavin Friday and Donal Dineen are shoe ins pre announcements! Saying that ,her own mental health issues and her personal life do not come into whether il go see her or not.

By the by anyone see her with john grant last year?

Ya you're right but you still haven't suggested what can be done to change it. Who is available that hasn't been booked?

No point just moaning if you won't offer any insight or constructive criticism. Are you even going?

The topic of the festival selling out was being discussed. I said the line-up is weak so it's unlikely to sell out.

Queue a a dozen people jumping down my throat for saying so.

If really want a suggestion then how about EP cough up for better acts, and don't try to tell me nobody is available and this is the best they can manage for goodness sake. It's festival season, not Christmas day.

The topic of the festival selling out was being discussed. I said the line-up is weak so it's unlikely to sell out.

Queue a a dozen people jumping down my throat for saying so.

If really want a suggestion then how about EP cough up for better acts, and don't try to tell me nobody is available and this is the best they can manage for goodness sake. It's festival season, not Christmas day.

Well I thought a good few people (myself included) agreed that the sellout is more due to the last big summer festival/a bit of craic in the sunshine as opposed to the attractive lineup. Yeah it's not spectacular by any means (I expected another announcement by now) and 230 at this stage is very steep but for 155/175 quid it's grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

Rfrip wrote: »
    Oh I don't doubt her talent at all. I tease on this thread that she's a dead cert every year, herself, Gavin Friday and Donal Dineen are shoe ins pre announcements! Saying that ,her own mental health issues and her personal life do not come into whether il go see her or not.

By the by anyone see her with john grant last year?

No, one of the big regrets of last year was missing that. Heard great reports.

I did catch them at Grant's gig in the Olympia this year though

• Advertisement

Ok that's great! Yeah I doubt we'll move tbh! Is it quieter in family? It will be nice to escape to it at god knows what hour after the madness of the main campsites!

In terms of people wandering around looking for their tent at all hours, and the unstoppable sound of people partying all night and talking ****e to their neighbours who are now their new best friends (God I miss those days) none of that happens in the family campsite.

The late night music is just as loud as anywhere else though, so be prepared for the fact that your daughter may not sleep well (some kids do, some don't). Also be prepared for the fact that just as the dawn silence descends on the other campsites, the family campsite comes to life and a lie in is nigh on impossible.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement