Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2014 ** NO TICKET DISCUSSION ALLOWED ** see new mod note

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

If like last year, I think it was a few days before, i spent a hour or two in the tent after arrival going through the times on the lanyard thingy sorting out where i needed to be for the weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭bobrawn20

Pretty sure they intentionally delay it so you're convinced to buy a lanyard. Pretty expensive at a tenner considering they're just stage times you could print out but they're a nice souvenir all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

Duff wrote: »
    Just watched Jack White's set at Glasto there. Shame he's only just played Kilmainham. Would've been a great addition to EP.

Really I thought his Glasto performance was absolute s_hite!! He wasn't in control or really looked uncomfortable like playing was causing him actual pain!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

Jazzzman wrote: »
    Cheers but my reasoning is compared to previous line ups, this is poor.

I think ticket sales, or lack there of, will back me up on that.

Please respect peoples opinions. If I declare the line up weak, I don't need to establish which bands weren't booked that are touring/ offer alternatives.

A quick look at say 2007 line up... (I've edited it down a lot)

FRIDAY

Manic Street Preachers
    Modest Mouse
    Oppenheimer
    Bjork
    LCD Soundsystem
    Hot Chip
    Mr Scruff

SATURDAY
    Beastie Boys
    Erasure
    Jarvis Cocker
    MIA
    Spiritualized
    Ladytron
    Architecture In Helsinki
    Fionn Regan
    The Undertones
    The Jesus And Mary Chain
    Chemical Brothers
    Polyphonic Spree
    Magic Numbers
    Final Fantasy
    Ratatat
    Camera Obscura
    The Field

SUNDAY
    Primal Scream
    Iggy And The Stooges
    Sonic Youth
    Soul II Soul
    Clap Your Hands Say Yeah
    Fight Like Apes
    Beastie Boys
    The Fall
    Bat For Lashes
    Simple Kid
    Of Montreal

I mean geez.....they are worlds apart.

We don't have all of this years acts announced yet so it's pointless comparing, from the above list plenty weren't announced at this date in 2007'
    It takes hundreds of acts to fill the weekend we only have 60 odd at the moment. While I don't expect any more huge names there's going to be some really decent mid level acts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Dapifer

It's hands down the worst E.P lineup I've seen yet imo. I think the lack of variation is the problem.

The headliners are great choices (kind of a flip on Glasto's average choice of headliners this year but amazing lineup overall) but overall it's very lackluster so far.

They even seem to more or less have left off electronic music this year, yet they have two tents of reggae. I'm thinking this might be a deliberate effort to attract a certain crowd and avoid a certain crowd as theres no Oxegen but last year was it's biggest year and had a great lineup of bands and dj's.

I really wanna go and possibly still will but I'm waiting with baited breath for at least a few more interesting acts to be added.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

I am seriously excited for Beck! Even just for Devil's Haircut, Loser and Where It's At alone. Must get his new album in preparation for the gig!

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭mgkelly

Dapifer wrote: »
    It's hands down the worst E.P lineup I've seen yet imo. I think the lack of variation is the problem.

The headliners are great choices (kind of a flip on Glasto's average choice of headliners this year but amazing lineup overall) but overall it's very lackluster so far.

They even seem to more or less have left off electronic music this year, yet they have two tents of reggae. I'm thinking this might be a deliberate effort to attract a certain crowd and avoid a certain crowd as theres no Oxegen but last year was it's biggest year and had a great lineup of bands and dj's.

I really wanna go and possibly still will but I'm waiting with baited breath for at least a few more interesting acts to be added.

I wouldn't get too depressed as of yet. As someone pointed out earlier, there is still a lot to come. It'll all come good, I'm sure.
    One always finds good stuff that you've never heard of before.
    And chill - it's a festival, not an exam or a competition to see who can come up with the best quirkiness! ;):)
    It'll all be grand!

Martin

I know I'll still have a great time I'm sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Was it the 21st July last year that they made an announcement, 21st this year falls on a Monday, when do they normally make a major announcement, is it starting of the week or the ending of it.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

I'd rather not know the date of the next announcement, the suspense it creates over a couple of days is a nightmare

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Was it the 21st July last year that they made an announcement, 21st this year falls on a Monday, when do they normally make a major announcement, is it starting of the week or the ending of it.
    July 22d - Giorgio Moroder, Two Door Cinema Club, Duckworth Lewis Method, Billy Bragg, Kodaline, Cyril Hahn and others

they've announced it on Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays before, so I don't think there's any plan to it.

probably wait until next week when Longitude is over, or the start of the next week when lots of people get paid, then make an announcement.

Glad to see Young Fathers are playing, I was hoping to see them at Glasto but missed them. They're not on the lineup on the site yet, does anyone know of any other acts that are confirmed but not yet appearing on the E.P site?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,424 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

I am seriously excited for Beck! Even just for Devil's Haircut, Loser and Where It's At alone. Must get his new album in preparation for the gig!

Beck is seriously good fun live. We saw him supporting Radiohead a good few years ago and he really got the crowd going.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭BadTurtle

They don't follow a set date for doing announcements.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Glastonut

They even seem to more or less have left off electronic music this year, .

Thank god. jees if you want to see electronic music go to a nightlcub!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

Glastonut wrote: »

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭grudgehugger

They even seem to more or less have left off electronic music this year

Eh?

They've only announced the line-up for 1 of the 3 "dance" stages so far (as per their usual routine)

Casa Bacardi is out and looks pretty good to me. RBMA will be back in the woods I'm sure, Little Big Tent will have some acts that are yet to be announced and there's also Body and Soul who are bound to have a healthy dollop of electronica in their mix.

Some names I'm looking forward to already:

Bicep, Dimitri from Paris, Greg Wilson, Pet Shop Boys

Also hoping Shane Linehan turns up somewhere. Really wanted to catch him at Body and Soul, then they stuck him on the same time as Darkside....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Toast

The new Beck album is great but it is miles away from the songs you mentioned. The Guero album is closer to stuff like that. I'd expect a more chilled set from him maybe bookended with some of the songs you mentioned and stuff from Guero. Has the day Beck is playing being announced yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,286 ✭✭✭-=al=-

bobrawn20 wrote: »
    Pretty sure they intentionally delay it so you're convinced to buy a lanyard. Pretty expensive at a tenner considering they're just stage times you could print out but they're a nice souvenir all the same.

If you look around a bit you will eventually find one on the ground!

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭grudgehugger

Toast wrote: »
    The new Beck album is great but it is miles away from the songs you mentioned. The Guero album is closer to stuff like that. I'd expect a more chilled set from him maybe bookended with some of the songs you mentioned and stuff from Guero. Has the day Beck is playing being announced yet?

Setlists seem to suggest you're about right on the Beck stuff - he is playing the 3 songs the previous poster mentioned tho.

Posters on here seem pretty sure Beck is Friday (P-Head Saturday, Outkast Sunday).

• Advertisement

Eh?

They've only announced the line-up for 1 of the 3 "dance" stages so far (as per their usual routine)

Casa Bacardi is out and looks pretty good to me. RBMA will be back in the woods I'm sure, Little Big Tent will have some acts that are yet to be announced and there's also Body and Soul who are bound to have a healthy dollop of electronica in their mix.

Some names I'm looking forward to already:

Bicep, Dimitri from Paris, Greg Wilson, Pet Shop Boys

Also hoping Shane Linehan turns up somewhere. Really wanted to catch him at Body and Soul, then they stuck him on the same time as Darkside....

Ah see I didn't realise this. I didn't know there were more stages to be announced and I was wondering on the whereabouts of the RBMA. I thought all that was announced this time last year. I guess I got thrown of when it says 'full lineup' on the site. Greg Wilson and James Murphy will be great I'm sure.

And Glastonut, I'll be mainly there for the live acts but it's nice to have something to rave to in the late hours or at least have the option if you're in the mood for that.

Anyway bought my ticket yesterday. Looking forward mainly to the Portishead, Beck, St.Vincent, The Stranglers, Mogwai and Young Fathers.

I guess the fact that there's not a great amount of acts I'm determined to see will mean less stressing and more time to check out stuff I've not been initiated with.

Glastonut wrote: »

Actually if you want to see the music there's various drugs I could recommend to help you. Going to a nightclub won't help.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Graham1978

Just booked the Pink Moon Campsite, has anyone stayed in it before ??

• Registered Users Posts: 12,222 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Jimi Hendrix is where its at!

Graham1978 wrote: »
    Just booked the Pink Moon Campsite, has anyone stayed in it before ??

Stayed last year. Was very happy with it. Depends what your expectations are, I guess. It's not luxury either, but safe/secure with good showers & a degree of peace/quiet.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭nmg_ire

Booked for pink moon as well, never been to EP before. I've been looking at pics form previous years and wondering do you park in the same car park as the rest of camping? And is there a separate entrance for it?

nmg_ire wrote: »
    Booked for pink moon as well, never been to EP before. I've been looking at pics form previous years and wondering do you park in the same car park as the rest of camping? And is there a separate entrance for it?

Normal parking, normal entrance. No special privileges like that!
    There are signs for Pink Moon camping.
    Suss it out on the map on website beforehand. Should be available near to the time.
    Enjoy! - ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

nmg_ire wrote: »

if you come from the Monasterevin side, via Cush & Vicarstown you will be able to park right at the corner of the site and on the side of Pink Moon, car park Z I think it is. We've done that for the past few years, I come up from Cork and even drive up as far as the Monasterevin exit on the Motorway and drive back down the way I said just to get to that car park. It's so much handier, a max 10 minute walk from your tent in Pink Moon to that car park.

BTW: Pink Moon is great if you want some sleep and enjoy the respect of others and are willing to show respect to your neighbours too:D

Separate entrance into Pink Moon with 24 Hour security at the gate. About 16 showers, queues tend to move along fairly well, can't fault it really.

EDIT: Sorry, when I say separate entrance I mean it's a closed off area once you are inside the main estate area. Of course you enter through the main gates like everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

MadYaker wrote: »
    Jimi Hendrix is where its at!

No, that would be two turn tables and a microphone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭nmg_ire

Cheers, i was thinking that would of been asking a bit much.

Another question, can you bring beer/food etc into the campsite each day, as I dont fancy taking it all in one trip from the car, i'm thinking take what i need each day, don't mind the walk either.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement