Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2014 ** NO TICKET DISCUSSION ALLOWED ** see new mod note

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭garra

sadie06 wrote: »
    I genuinely don't get all the hatred for Sinead O'Connor in this and various other threads. Do people not realise what an amazing back catalogue she has? She was a gifted songwriter, and still is a gifted vocalist with an inimitable style.

Her mental health issues should surely evoke sympathy rather than ridicule, and let's not forget she very bravely jeopardised her career to attack the leaders of the Catholic Church long before Ireland, or indeed the world had faced up to the horrific truth of the scale of child abuse within the organisation.

To put her down as a second rate artist, and place her in the same sentence as the entirely vacuous Lily Allen is ridiculous to me.

On a lighter note, I am getting seriously excited. Metronomy are really doing it for me right now. I reckon the Other Voices stage is going to leave me in a state of high anxiety though. What if I'm missing something really special whilst soaking up the general atmosphere? I think it's going to interfere with rambling time!

Good points re O'Connor but you forgot to mention one thing, her voice in a live setting is staggeringly good, I have not heard a better female vocalist EVER !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

garra wrote: »
    Good points re O'Connor but you forgot to mention one thing, her voice in a live setting is staggeringly good, I have not heard a better female vocalist EVER !!

Oh, I absolutely agree! She can go from a whisper to full volume with total melodic control. I can't think of anyone that does exactly what she does.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,746 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Usually hate people asking these questions since it can be solved with a simple Google but I can't find much.

Any idea who'll be playing what days? Probably could only make the Sunday. Really want OutKast, Foals & Kelis but it's too much to ask for I'd say. Portishead would also be acceptable :|

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

It's a few pages back but Portishead are confirmed for Saturday and Outkast are on Sunday. I think Kelis is on Friday though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

callaway92 wrote: »
    Usually hate people asking these questions since it can be solved with a simple Google but I can't find much.

Any idea who'll be playing what days? Probably could only make the Sunday. Really want OutKast, Foals & Kelis but it's too much to ask for I'd say. Portishead would also be acceptable :|

Sunday is already sold out btw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭AoifeBurke

Foals' website says they're playing the Friday. Sunday tickets are sold out too!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

Thomas D wrote: »
    It used to be for people that were into electronic music and the sort of bands that those people would like. That has been eroded over the years which is why its a ****e festival now. If you have ever said "I hate dance music" then please stop going to festivals.

You said it better than i did. Sure after midnight if you still can't stand electronic music there is nowhere to go but the salty dog, one or two of the side shows, the silent disco or your tent

• Registered Users Posts: 14,746 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Damn. Def can't make Friday, and Saturday would be awkward too. I can get tickets for Sunday sorted, so already selling out is no prob.

Disappointed I won't see Foals and Kelis though.

Thanks folks, appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭pervertedcoffee

I can get tickets for Sunday sorted, so already selling out is no prob.

Mysterious O-o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea

cant wait to see these lads playing mainstage trenchtown on the saturday night. they played body and soul this year too and they are just deadly live, really get the crowd going! (yes they are friends but i really do love their live sets! :D)

https://m.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1418854291703101

johnny pluse and the stormtroopers of love :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 mickc10

Seeing as the Black Keys haven't played on Irish soil since releasing 'Turn Blue and with their US tour not starting till Sept 5th I'd say they are a safe bet to be announced for EP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭MattD

A safe bet for who, if announced, would be undoubtedly the most expensive and popular act of the weekend? In the third main arena announcement? With EP smack in the middle of their US tour?

I'd hate to see your Paddy Power account if that's a safe bet to you...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

MattD wrote: »
    A safe bet for who, if announced, would be undoubtedly the most expensive and popular act of the weekend? In the third main arena announcement? With EP smack in the middle of their US tour?

To be fair if they start their tour in September then EP is just before it :P

But yeah, it seems unlikely. I'd be delighted if it was announced though!

• Registered Users Posts: 19 mickc10

To be fair if they start their tour in September then EP is just before it :P

But yeah, it seems unlikely. I'd be delighted if it was announced though!
    MattD wrote: »

EP is 1 week before their US tour starts. A bit of inside info to go with that as well. Shhhhhhhhh! You heard it here first.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭a0ifee

Is a day ticket worth it for this? Wanted to get one for the day St.Vincent is playing but the price is a bit steep ://

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Tame Impala prefaced their Latitude show over the weekend by saying it was their last show on their last tour for a very long time. No Picnic slot so it seems.

Im hopeful Wye Oak might be added given that they are around at the time, and I think there should be some Irish acts (O Emperor, Le Galaxie, etc.) to round out the bill but I wouldn't be expecting anything big between now and the end of August.

If I could pick anyone to be added atm though it would be the War on Drugs. C'mooon!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

mickc10 wrote: »
    EP is 1 week before their US tour starts. A bit of inside info to go with that as well. Shhhhhhhhh! You heard it here first.

Ah yeah this little gem again, I hope you're right!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭MattD

My bad on the tour dates, got mixed up in my head...

Not saying it definitely won't happen obviously, but it's extremely unlikely for me, and would be very strange PR practise to leave their announcement tgis late tbh, regardless of the more expensive tickets needing a bit more of a push...

And Aoife, there was only Sunday day tickets announced and they sold out weeks ago, who's playing what day won't be announced for a while after all the main arena acts have been announced too.

Why must people get my hopes up :(

If Black Keys and War on Drugs were announced that would be unbelievable.

But it seems like the whole QOTSA thing all over again :pac:

What inside info is this, friend?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭roll

If I could pick anyone to be added atm though it would be the War on Drugs. C'mooon!!

Stop teasing!!!:p:p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

Soooo, any chance of Garth Brooks or Coldplay being added at this stage? :D .......

Soooo, any chance of Garth Brooks or Coldplay being added at this stage? :D .......

Get out... :P

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

I can see Black Keys announcing and O2 date soon enough around the same time as their UK tour next year . Then maybe a Kilmainham show or a special guest slot at a Marlay Park gig

The Unicorns reunion :D That would be epic if they slotted in at EP. They're supporting Arcade Fire too, sickened they didn't make it for the Marley gig :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭frantic190

I missed them in Vicar Street so I would absolutely love this. Make it happen EP!!

• Registered Users Posts: 25 SantaClaws7

The Whereabouts self confirmed for EP (I'm friends with their bass player on Facebook). I asked him when the official announcement by Electric Picnic is, he reckons it's 'today actually'.

Edit: His reply was deleted very shortly after so unfortunately I have no proof of this before anyone asks, but you'll have to take my word for it

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

The Whereabouts self confirmed for EP (I'm friends with their bass player on Facebook). I asked him when the official announcement by Electric Picnic is, he reckons it's 'today actually'.

Edit: His reply was deleted very shortly after so unfortunately I have no proof of this before anyone asks, but you'll have to take my word for it

Oh Santa! Santa can I have Moderat, Aphex Twin, the Stooges, Hawkwind, Dave Gilmour play my little festival, would be delighted I'd be.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 25 SantaClaws7

Oh Santa! Santa can I have Moderat, Aphex Twin, the Stooges, Hawkwind, Dave Gilmour play my little festival, would be delighted I'd be.

I'll need to check my naughty and nice lists first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

So perhaps a secret burst of names at 7pm then hopefully.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement