Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2014 ** NO TICKET DISCUSSION ALLOWED ** see new mod note

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭grudgehugger

Any thoughts on who'll they have play the traditional Saturday night main stage "dance" slot around midnight, 1am?

In recent years, it's been Chemical Brothers, Orbital then Disclosure last year.

No screamingly obvious contenders so will someone like Chic get that slot this year???? Or even Pet Shop Boys?

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭beautyqueen

Do we know who is playing what day yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭MattD

It'd be class if it ended up being this laser disco from le galaxie... Ambitious too, but it could come off in a really big way. To me I'd much rather see that at midnight on the main stage than Pet Shop Boys anyway. PSB would just send me back to the tent!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Any thoughts on who'll they have play the traditional Saturday night main stage "dance" slot around midnight, 1am?

In recent years, it's been Chemical Brothers, Orbital then Disclosure last year.

No screamingly obvious contenders so will someone like Chic get that slot this year???? Or even Pet Shop Boys?

I would rather Flume, SBTRKT or even Rustie play it than either of them but it will most likely be one of those unless another big electronic/dance act is announced.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

nocoverart wrote: »
    Do people actually enjoy listening to James Vincent McMorrow? I think I'd rather get all my teeth pulled out at once TBH.

If I Had A Boat is a great song imo :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Monsieur Folie

MattD wrote: »
    It'd be class if it ended up being this laser disco from le galaxie... Ambitious too, but it could come off in a really big way. To me I'd much rather see that at midnight on the main stage than Pet Shop Boys anyway. PSB would just send me back to the tent!

Ooh, that might be a good shout.

I'd take Flume either, for that slot.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Finkployd

I got in touch with Leave No Trace to see if they were setting up the campsite again this year but alas here is the bad news;

"Last year 400 campers stayed in the first ever Leave No Trace campsite and were the envy of all at Electric Picnic. Since this year’s Electric Picnic was announced, Leave No Trace has been inundated with requests to join this year’s campsite. Unfortunately at this time, Leave No Trace Ireland do not have the capacity or resources to run the Leave No Trace campsite at this year’s festival. We wish those attending Electric Picnic a great festival. Leave No Trace Ireland hope to work in collaboration with all festivals throughout Ireland in the future to create awareness about responsible behavior in the outdoors.

Background

The Leave no Trace campsite was a great opportunity to make last year’s Electric Picnic more sustainable and reduce the impact festival goers had on the land it was held on.
    Those that registered for this free camping option woke up to a pristine campsite complete with picnic benches, morning yoga, a wishing tree and most importantly somewhere to recycle their rubbish and dispose of their waste properly.

Campers took great pride in using the green and brown biodegradable bin bags provided in their welcome packs. We can safely say that empowering people to Leave No Trace worked. The campsite was pristinely clean all weekend. However, the contrast to the adjacent campsites was all too stark. Whilst the Leave No Trace Campsite was beautifully clean and green with ‘picnickers’ sunbathing on the grass, beer cans, food waste and general litter covered the ground of other campsites to the extent that you could no longer see any grass. A key aspect of the Leave no Trace campsite ethos was to educate people about Leave No Trace Principles to inspire responsible camping. There was no policing involved, everyone took responsibility for their own waste and their own impact on the land. "

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Bootsy.

It'll probably be Chic on main stage Sat night, maybe PSB. There will be plenty of other options for electronic stuff away from the main stage anyway.

Good to see Hercules & Love Affair added, that should be a good show.

A few people have mentioned Sh!t Robot, I saw him before and he was terrible. Didn't play any of his own tracks or DFA style stuff, just incredibly dull, listless, boring house, he cleared the place, it really was Sh!t! Hopefully it'll be a different story at EP.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭sdgbt

Delighted :D

Can't wait for Wild Beasts. Dissapointed there's no Moderat but plenty to keep us going :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

Roddy23 wrote: »
    no chance of SBTRKT and Sampha collaborating live for this number?

SBTRKT always has Sampha with him for his live shows!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Do we know who is playing what day yet?

Was just about to ask this, any indications?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭Jesus Juice

Whens the RBMA line up announced? Any thoughts on who will be there?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,546 ✭✭✭Duff

Very happy with SBTRKT, Rustie, BBC and Hozier. 1975 are decent live too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,546 ✭✭✭Duff

Also, the feckin' wait is gonna kill me now lads!!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Dont think it will be Flume on the saturday night since he has Sunday down on his tour dates .

Def would agree would love to see Le Galaxie get that slot but dont think they will. What about Clean Bandit (i know they are not as dancy as Chemical Bros/Disclosure etc )

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Whens the RBMA line up announced? Any thoughts on who will be there?
    it was announced a week before the festival last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,562 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

As far as I know the stage times weren't announced until a day or two before the festival last year, very short notice. Can't remember if the day by day breakdown was announced by then or not though. Not sure who to expect for the RBMA, I asked them on twitter today when were they going to announce but no reply yet, would expect three or four big techno acts down there and a lot of Irish DJs mainly.

Is there a guarantee that it will be a dancy act on the main stage Saturday night or could it possibly be one of the headliners on the poster? Le Galaxie DJ set would be great but I don't think they're well known enough to play that big of a slot on the main stage. Could someone like Annie Mac or Duke Dumont be a possibility? Both big enough names who would play a good party set to finish the night IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Buzz Killington the third

Le Galaxie DJ set would be great but I don't think they're well known enough to play that big of a slot on the main stage. Could someone like Annie Mac or Duke Dumont be a possibility? Both big enough names who would play a good party set to finish the night IMO.

I'd rather see Le Galaxie on the main stage that the others. And if last year's crowd for them in Body & Soul is any indicator of popularity it'll be a great set with a great atmosphere.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭PadraigOK

Wild Beasts - Fri or Sat
    Nick Mulvey - Fri or Sun
    Asgeir - Fri or Sun
    The Strypes - Fri or Sun
    Bombay Bicycle Club - Sat
    The 1975 - Sat or Sun
    Nightbox - Sun

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

Normally if an non irish act plays elsewhere during the summer they won't be on the picnic bill, irish acts tend to be the complete opposite. Surprised theres so much overlap between longitude and picnic.

It was a very hush hush announcement considering the number of big names on it, ticket sales must be doing ok if they arent screaming from the rooftops on twitter and fb.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭BadTurtle

It's gonna be Chic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,562 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

I'd rather see Le Galaxie on the main stage that the others. And if last year's crowd for them in Body & Soul is any indicator of popularity it'll be a great set with a great atmosphere.

Oh I'd personally love if they got it, but just saying I don't think they will. Realistically half of the crowd at EP probably won't even have heard of them (which is their loss), and I don't think the organizers would risk putting them on ahead of many other suitable candidates.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,793 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Duff wrote: »
    Also, the feckin' wait is gonna kill me now lads!!

I dunno, each time I see EP's day countdown on fb it's counting down the summer! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Jazzzman

Very underwhelming announcement. :(

It's basically Longitude part 2 for half of those acts.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,896 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Dont think it will be Flume on the saturday night since he has Sunday down on his tour dates .

Def would agree would love to see Le Galaxie get that slot but dont think they will. What about Clean Bandit (i know they are not as dancy as Chemical Bros/Disclosure etc )

La galaxie just might, they were jammers at body and soul, With the whole laser show main stage wud be ideal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭MattD

IMO, if you still haven't heard of le galaxie as an Irish person at this stage, then you're very clearly cut off from current music. They've been ubiquitous over the festival scene for 3 years at this point and universally loved and pointed to as highlights by many. I'm sure there's many who couldn't name a track by them or anything like that, but to say they're some unknown act does them a disservice. If you want a popular international headlining artist like Chic in that slot fair enough, I'm sure it'd be great.

But I'd have a lot more respect for the organizers and be a lot more excited if they kept up the trend of it being a dance/party atmosphere late into the night on Saturday, while simultaneously giving a huge vote of confidence and billing to an Irish act that's been absolutely killing it for the past year.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,763 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

IMO, if you still haven't heard of le galaxie as an Irish person at this stage, then you're very clearly cut off from current music. They've been ubiquitous over the festival scene for 3 years at this point and universally loved and pointed to as highlights by many. I'm sure there's many who couldn't name a track by them or anything like that, but to say they're some unknown act does them a disservice. If you want a popular international headlining artist like Chic in that slot fair enough, I'm sure it'd be great.

But I'd have a lot more respect for the organizers and be a lot more excited if they kept up the trend of it being a dance/party atmosphere late into the night on Saturday, while simultaneously giving a huge vote of confidence and billing to an Irish act that's been absolutely killing it for the past year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Le Galaxie are DJing, not playing live, so pretty much no chance.

it'll be Chic or PSB, assuming they even bother putting a dance-y act on the main stage last this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Le Galaxie are DJing, not playing live, so pretty much no chance.

it'll be Chic or PSB, assuming they even bother putting a dance-y act on the main stage last this year.
    Where does it say that they're just DJing and not playing live?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

AdMMM wrote: »
    Where does it say that they're just DJing and not playing live?

They tweeted earlier

Le Galaxie ‏@LeGalaxie 1m
    CLARIFICATION: Le Galaxie @EPfestival is a DJ set 'LASERDISCO NIGHTS'. Tunes, live drums, perscussion, vocalists and a whopper laser show.

I'd take that on the main stage :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement