Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2014 ** NO TICKET DISCUSSION ALLOWED ** see new mod note

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

I never understood the difference :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

I think Chic and PSB are more suited to earlier in the night, they don't really suit finishing 2:00am on saturday night where peoples attention spans are a lot shorter, you need a full on dance act with big visuals at that hour. They might just finish the main stage a bit earlier but keep more things going elsewhere.
    I know George Clinton played that slot in 2008, dunno how well it went down.

For one they sure top putting the likes of tiga and squarepusher in the Electric Arena at the same time, because no one went to see them.

I think everyone has seen le Galaxie at this stage and so a change up in what they are doing would keep their show interesting. Whether i'd put them main stage is another thing, they'll be needing a lot of lasers :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,793 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Other Voices keeping their area hush hush whatever that means. I'd imagine it could mean acts playing bigger stages could end up playing the OV stage over the weekend but set times or acts won't be announced in advance.

https://www.facebook.com/OtherVoices/posts/10152543563120428

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

I never understood the difference :(
    generally:

DJing - playing fully-formed tracks, usually other people's, using turntables/decks.

Live - your own music/tracks, usually using instruments or hardware like drum machines/synths/midi controllers to play or put together certain parts of a track like a bassline, drum beat or whatever on-the-fly so that it all comes together as one song.
    2 examples:
    Karenn - Boiler Room live show
    Footage of Toby Kaar live in the Grand Social

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Was just checking out some Rustie youtube videos, I didn't realise he was a Scottish bloke, good sounds too.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Eod100 wrote: »
    Other Voices keeping their area hush hush whatever that means. I'd imagine it could mean acts playing bigger stages could end up playing the OV stage over the weekend but set times or acts won't be announced in advance.

https://www.facebook.com/OtherVoices/posts/10152543563120428
    I'll venture into OV at times when I don't really have anything in mind to see, but I don't think I'd be able to forgive myself if I skipped a band I know I'd like only to discover someone I hate coming on stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

AdMMM wrote: »
    I'll venture into OV at times when I don't really have anything in mind to see, but I don't think I'd be able to forgive myself if I skipped a band I know I'd like only to discover someone I hate coming on stage!

Beck will play some of his acoustic Morning Phase stuff and i'll miss it. It's already written!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,793 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Yeah think that's the best approach really! I'd be surprise if there's huge names playing it but would def be worth stopping in if there's a gap in the timetable.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭rebelreded

I know it's all hush hush but can anyone hazard a guess as to where the Other Voices area will be located?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Couldn't get near Le Galaxie last year, so might try and catch them this time. Wherever Hozier plays will be jammed, I'd say, not that I'm all that interested in seeing him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Beck will play some of his acoustic Morning Phase stuff and i'll miss it. It's already written!

Ooof. That would be amazing, and I would die if I missed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,006 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

MattD wrote: »
    IMO, if you still haven't heard of le galaxie as an Irish person at this stage, then you're very clearly cut off from current music. They've been ubiquitous over the festival scene for 3 years at this point and universally loved and pointed to as highlights by many. I'm sure there's many who couldn't name a track by them or anything like that, but to say they're some unknown act does them a disservice. If you want a popular international headlining artist like Chic in that slot fair enough, I'm sure it'd be great.
    /quote]

They're top song on Spotify hasn't been played more than 50,000 times, there's westlife tribute bands that have more plays that that so I wouldn't exactly blame anyone for not knowing who they are.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

MattD wrote: »
    IMO, if you still haven't heard of le galaxie as an Irish person at this stage, then you're very clearly cut off from current music. They've been ubiquitous over the festival scene for 3 years at this point and universally loved and pointed to as highlights by many. I'm sure there's many who couldn't name a track by them or anything like that, but to say they're some unknown act does them a disservice. If you want a popular international headlining artist like Chic in that slot fair enough, I'm sure it'd be great.

But I'd have a lot more respect for the organizers and be a lot more excited if they kept up the trend of it being a dance/party atmosphere late into the night on Saturday, while simultaneously giving a huge vote of confidence and billing to an Irish act that's been absolutely killing it for the past year.
    To be fair, a lot of people who go to EP wouldn't have their finger on the pulse of the Irish music scene. A lot of people would be those who simply keep tabs on Indie/Alt charts on Spotify etc.

I'd also think that even people who do know their music, but live outside of Dublin, wouldn't have got the chance to see them before.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

rebelreded wrote: »
    I know it's all hush hush but can anyone hazard a guess as to where the Other Voices area will be located?

"In the woods" is all that i've heard so far, so possibly somewhere in between the Salty Dog and Trenchtown?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

To be fair, a lot of people who go to EP wouldn't have their finger on the pulse of the Irish music scene. A lot of people would be those who simply keep tabs on Indie/Alt charts on Spotify etc.

I'd also think that even people who do know their music, but live outside of Dublin, wouldn't have got the chance to see them before.

Add in the fact that they are a bit on the electronic and dancey side, there's a lot of people who just would not give a flying funk about that sort of music.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

Jazzzman wrote: »
    Very underwhelming announcement. :(

It's basically Longitude part 2 for half of those acts.

That makes no sense!! Then Longitude is basically EP13 part 2.......!!! ?? Similar genre of festival! So what's ur point?

I'm fairly happy with that announcement!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

Are Le Galaxie the group that played before Primal Scream at the Olympia last year? They had a talentless, baldy lead sing, who performed boring songs. He danced with much gusto, and had an intense stare that seemed to suggest, "if you don't dance like me, I'll split open your head and feast on the goo inside."

He gave his (very young looking) sound desk guy a fierce hard time. Bit of an egotist for such a crappy act.

If I've got the wrong, then I sincerely apologise to Le Galaxie, Electric Picnic, and everyone on boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭MattD

Add in the fact that they are a bit on the electronic and dancey side, there's a lot of people who just would not give a flying funk about that sort of music.

Then those people can't really complain about the act that's on in the late night traditionally electronic/dancey slot regardless of who it is! :pac:

Would love if the kooks signed up.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

D'you want to go to the seaside :cool: Would be deadly alright! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Kickin

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,896 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Kickin

Oooh I gave that a bit if a listen there and he's right up my street

I'm getting old thou, chap looks about 12

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭Rough Sleeper

Would love if the kooks signed up.
    I dozed off there just thinking about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭bboybaboy19

the crowds that go to those boiler room sets are some bunch of boring hipster ****s

To the many of you who suggested Rustie...

I acquired his album there, first track I was like ummmmmm...

But holy b*alls, that is one slick album! He is a must see for me now.

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭Rough Sleeper

the crowds that go to those boiler room sets are some bunch of boring hipster ****s
    It does seem that people are often trying to be a bit too cool. But bear in mind that these sets are usually on midweek pretty early in the evening, so a lot of them are working the next day, aren't on drink or drugs and might be just looking to chill out. Add to this the fact that people who try to get into the groove are invariably ripped out of it in the comments section and it may go some way towards explaining why the crowd tends to appear somewhat unenthusiastic about the whole affair.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

Campervan tickets posted out if anyone yet!?

Kickin

Haha, I suppose it shows people have different taste in music, I tried to enjoy that but had worked up a headache after 5 minutes, all looks a bit sad. Horses for course I guess :)

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Saruwatari

Count me among the unimpressed with that announcement. I didn't bother with Longitude for a reason (or several).

Gonna hafta look into some of the smaller acts cos so far there's only ten acts on the entire lineup I'd be arsed seeing. Seems like too much electronic really, not enough hip-hop or rock that isn't watery 'indie' ****e.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,896 ✭✭✭Rfrip

To the many of you who suggested Rustie...

I acquired his album there, first track I was like ummmmmm...

But holy b*alls, that is one slick album! He is a must see for me now.

Me too...there's one song ultra thizz that i have had on repeat the last hour!! It's the beauty of this thread and electric picnic....an act announced can go from who the hell is he... to ...omg we have to go see this guy ..in minutes!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement