Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2014 ** NO TICKET DISCUSSION ALLOWED ** see new mod note

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭bboybaboy19

I'd be surprised if it sold out before the last week of August. Did they not increase capacity by 5000? This coupled with the lack of big mainstream names makes it unlikely. I can't see a lot of people paying 230 to see Portishead but for the likes of AM or Fatboy Slim then it makes sense.

They spoke about increasing capacity, as far as I'm aware it never happened

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

Jazzzman wrote: »
    Absolutely zero chance of it selling out.

Jazz man when this sells out you need to eat your 3day old cacks on Sunday @6 beside the salty dog stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

EP tweeted a youtube playlist today.
    72 videos on it.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLFxEFRK93LCUbxO0w_PT416POHA7bYjEX

Clean Bandit will be impressive. Aside from their one really well known song they have some serious tunes

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Kinda glad i started youtubing some of the bands/acts because i found these two so far that i really like

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭rebelreded

Kinda glad i started youtubing some of the bands/acts because i found these two so far that i really like

Yeah, was impressed by Twin Shadow on the EP Spotify last night. Must sees are increasing along with the excitement.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

rebelreded wrote: »
    Yeah, was impressed by Twin Shadow on the EP Spotify last night. Must sees are increasing along with the excitement.

Yea but more must sees = more clashes :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

These boys are gonna be top notch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭BadTurtle

If you're interested in Rustie, google his new song with Danny Brown, Attak. Soundclouds only atm as far as I know. Absolute belter of a tune.

I'd be surprised if it sold out before the last week of August. Did they not increase capacity by 5000? This coupled with the lack of big mainstream names makes it unlikely. I can't see a lot of people paying 230 to see Portishead but for the likes of AM or Fatboy Slim then it makes sense.
    Portishead would be a bigger headline act than FBS. He played a free gig in a pub for Arthurs Day, he's no draw at all these days. Portishead would be as big a draw as Bjork last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Speaking of Portishead, was just looking at their reworked softer version of Wandering Star from Last years Glastonbury, really looking forward to them.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

BadTurtle wrote: »
    Portishead would be a bigger headline act than FBS. He played a free gig in a pub for Arthurs Day, he's no draw at all these days. Portishead would be as big a draw as Bjork last year.

Maybe not FBS but Arctic Monkeys definitely are a bigger draw. Do I think Portishead are better? Hell yes. But a huge draw for a festival like this? I don't think so. A large share of the audience were still in primary school the last time Portishead played in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Maybe not FBS but Arctic Monkeys definitely are a bigger draw. Do I think Portishead are better? Hell yes. But a huge draw for a festival like this? I don't think so. A large share of the audience were still in primary school the last time Portishead played in Ireland.

Thats exactly the attraction for a lot of people, there is not a hell of a lot of records to their legacy now, but the ones produced are crackers, they have toured more than their album output, but unfortunately the last two of their tours fell through, one in 2003 and another in 2008 where they had to cancel the Irish gigs. In an interview with the Guardian they stated they weren't a proper touring band or a proper band for that matter, its all still an experiment for them really. Half of the band was in Massive Attack too and the Robert Plant band from last year.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭byrneg28

Speaking of Portishead, was just looking at their reworked softer version of Wandering Star from Last years Glastonbury, really looking forward to them.

don't see what the hype is about portishead, they look dead boring

byrneg28 wrote: »

Yeah they're marmite. Will definitely be avoiding them anyway so glad they're a headliner..frees up a lot of the other stages when people hopefully go there

Listen to Dummy (that song isn't from that album) and if it doesn't take your fancy then fair enough, downtempo electronic/trip hop probably isn't your thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Monsieur Folie

Don't think Portishead are for me. I've listened to some of their stuff and I'm just not getting into it. I'll probably be hoping they clash with someone I want to see so that I've somewhere else to go, if not then I'll probably go and catch some of their set to see if I like them any better in a live setting.

Wish they'd clash with Paolo Nutini, The 1975 or Lily Allen. The only must avoids of the lineup.
    No chance though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

Wish they'd clash with Paolo Nutini, The 1975 or Lily Allen. The only must avoids of the lineup.
    No chance though.

I'll be playing spoons in the woods for PSB's and The 1975 if you're stuck for something to do. :D

By the way, can't really play spoons so it will be like a learning how to play spoons session but I reckon it will still be inifinitely more entertaining than either of the above.

No chance though.

It's like you intentionally picked the most popular.

Also, little secret, to avoid a band..just don't go see them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭PadraigOK

Portishead? Boring???

I've lost all faith in humanity.

It's like you intentionally picked the most popular.

Also, little secret, to avoid a band..just don't go see them.

Well they're the three bands that shouldn't be playing, because they're manufacturer pop music, so there's that.
    I won't be going to see them.
    That why I said must-avoids. I want them on the same time as Portishead so the main stage isn't wasted on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭MattD

Jaysus, did someone pu in your corn flakes today? She might have fallen off the train with her most recent album, but Lily Allen has always been quite the opposite of manufactured pop... Granted she's not everyone's cup of tea, but you're just making up reasons to be unnecessarily angry at artists now...

Well they're the three bands that shouldn't be playing, because they're manufacturer pop music, so there's that.
    I won't be going to see them.
    That why I said must-avoids. I want them on the same time as Portishead so the main stage isn't wasted on them.

Do you avoid Walmart and the ''man''?

rage against the machine.

Listen to Dummy (that song isn't from that album) and if it doesn't take your fancy then fair enough, downtempo electronic/trip hop probably isn't your thing.

I like that a bit better but it's just far too ''avant-garde'' for my liking,..

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Mince Pie wrote: »
    I'll be playing spoons in the woods for PSB's and The 1975 if you're stuck for something to do. :D

By the way, can't really play spoons so it will be like a learning how to play spoons session but I reckon it will still be inifinitely more entertaining than either of the above.

PSB were fantastic last time at EP! 1975 hold no appeal for me, but PSB are another matter - highly entertaining. I guess Paolo Nutini is this year's Two Door Cinema Club - won't get fooled into enduring that experience again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Halloween Jack

I like portishead, id love to see them in say the olympia, but late night slot at a festival? At that stage id need something up-tempo, if you're not dancing at that stage it gets cold, you start to tire etc........

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭neddynono

When do we find out who is playing what day?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

I like portishead, id love to see them in say the olympia, but late night slot at a festival? At that stage id need something up-tempo, if you're not dancing at that stage it gets cold, you start to tire etc........

Well said. They were a decent band and possibly still are, but it's weird having them headline a festival. Late night, open air, not their forte at all.

• Advertisement

Do you avoid Walmart and the ''man''?

rage against the machine.

No just **** pop bands. They stick out like a sore thumb on the lineup.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement