Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2014 ** NO TICKET DISCUSSION ALLOWED ** see new mod note

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭BadTurtle

MattD wrote: »
    Jaysus, did someone pu in your corn flakes today? She might have fallen off the train with her most recent album, but Lily Allen has always been quite the opposite of manufactured pop... Granted she's not everyone's cup of tea, but you're just making up reasons to be unnecessarily angry at artists now...

Whether or not she admits it, a lot of her work is ghost written (or co-ghost written) and the vast majority of the music produced by hired help. That's how major label pop has and will continue to work, especially when it's a popstar with no technical know-how.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

of course, the vast majority of rock/indie bands don't have producers with "technical know-how" employed as "hired help" for every single and album....

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Sure Aerosmith had a few songs written or co written with someone else . Not that much of a big deal

• Registered Users Posts: 22,424 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

byrneg28 wrote: »
    I like that a bit better but it's just far too ''avant-garde'' for my liking,..

I think 'Third' is their best studio album.

I actually think it's one of the best albums released in the 'Naughties'
    It can't possibly be described as boring.

It's not standard pop music by a long shot, the time signatures are very complex and keep changing, there is a beautiful contrast between Beth's deadpan vocals and the instruments which vary from melodic to discordant.

It's not for everyone but if you consider yourself a music connoisseur, you owe it to yourself to give it a couple of listens before you make up your mind

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭miller82

the disgust some people have for "main stream" bands playing is gas. Apparently they are not aware that not going to see a band means you dont hear them.
    its justy so so hip around here.
    please be careful though folks, especially if the weather is as good as it is today

http://waterfordwhispersnews.com/2014/07/24/hipster-hospitalized-with-heatstroke-after-refusing-to-remove-wooly-hat/

• Advertisement

of course, the vast majority of rock/indie bands don't have producers with "technical know-how" employed as "hired help" for every single and album....
    Difference being they play their instruments and wrote the music for them.
    A producer for a pop act is much more all encompassing force.

pretty sure Bob Dylan and Van Morrison don't play most of the instruments on their albums and get in "hired help"....
    do we discount Elton John because Bernie Taupin wrote most of his songs?

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Saruwatari

I generally love me some trip-hop but Portishead have just never really grabbed me. I've listened to Third and the s/t and I love the odd track here and there (Machine Gun, beast of a song) but it's never as memorable as the work their contemporaries Massive Attack put out.

Geoff Barrow is a cool dude though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

byrneg28 wrote: »
    Do you avoid Walmart and the ''man''?

rage against the machine.

It seems to be just ****e music from what he described.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

Sure Aerosmith had a few songs written or co written with someone else . Not that much of a big deal

Areosmith are also ****e though

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

The 1975 are the weakest of the three 'to be avoided' acts mentioned. I really see no difference between them and The Script.

Allen at least has her quirks, but I'll be elsewhere when she is performing for sure.

Paolo Nutini though? I'll be there. I like performers that are amongst the best in their genre, and he is a very talented pop song writer with a great voice and a good band to back him up. I'll never pay to see him play on his own, so I'll take this opportunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

That funk my life up song has just got that feel good vibe I have to say!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

I love Portishead. Will be there with bells on, sealed the deal on the tickets for me (along with Beck) but people expressing disbelief at others finding them boring might want to get their heads out of their arses. They are quite slow, downbeat, low-tempo. They have produced three magnificent albums but are far from everyone's cup of tea.

I think their headline slots have looked great (and are getting great reports) so I'm not worried, but I can foresee an awful lot of people with no interest in Portishead wandering off the Rankin's Woods or the RBMA to catch Bombay Bicycle Club or whoever clashes. No issue for me anyway, I've often done it at the Picnic. For Pulp, I watched the first 45 minutes and the last half hour and went to get chips in the middle!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

Just a question relating to the case bacardi lineup, what sort of stage will those djs be playing on? What time does it all generally kick off and if anyone has any experience of it last year or whatever, what is it like? Enjoyable? Too busy?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

D.Q wrote: »
    Just a question relating to the case bacardi lineup, what sort of stage will those djs be playing on? What time does it all generally kick off and if anyone has any experience of it last year or whatever, what is it like? Enjoyable? Too busy?

Casa Bacardi stage.

http://goldenplec.goldenplec.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/Bacardi-Festival-3.jpg

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭civilnug

Have begun my studying for the festival and can't get enough of Flume. Never listened to him before but really looking forward to seeing him now. I love finding new music on a lineup and then getting to see them at the end of the summer after playing the sh*te out of the album for the previous few months.

Next on the list is the Jungle album.

D.Q wrote: »
    outdoor, smaller stage.
    starts around 1pm, finishes up before midnight.

it's ok, would much prefer to see a DJ i liked elsewhere.
    generally packed from 5pm onwards if it's dry. tends to attract a lot of people who don't seem to care about the music/lineup and are at EP for "the craic". plenty of "celebs" will end up hanging around there.
    barmen are slow as sh1t as they spend their time throwing bottles in the air and making out like mixing a mojito is a hard task.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

outdoor, smaller stage.

generally packed from 5pm onwards if it's dry. tends to attract a lot of people who don't seem to care about the music/lineup and are at EP for "the craic". plenty of "celebs" will end up hanging around there.
    barmen are slow as sh1t as they spend their time throwing bottles in the air and making out like mixing a mojito is a hard task.

sound, cheers for the information, yeah there are one or two djs on the lineup id really like to see but wanted to find out what sort of experience it would be.

pretty sure Bob Dylan and Van Morrison don't play most of the instruments on their albums and get in "hired help"....
    do we discount Elton John because Bernie Taupin wrote most of his songs?

Big jump for doing nothing but singing on songs (Allen) to Bob Dylan. If you can't see the difference between the likes of her, Britney Spears etc. and Bob Dylan then there's nothing to discuss here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭pmalone

outdoor, smaller stage.

Some of the best fun I have had at EP in the last few years have been at A-Skillz in Bacardi. A couple of years back(maybe 2011?) he played later in the night there and it really was the best party dance I have had in many years, right craic. Sadly no A-Skillz this year at EP. He is at Indiependence though and that is just a week away now. :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Lily Allen will be a good afternoon spot for the main stage crowd, but her music, a bit meh, white sh1te reggae really.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

I know it won't happen but this would alone make my EP. Not that I'm not absolutely delighted with the Line-up but hey, keep on dreamin!

BadTurtle wrote: »
    Big jump for doing nothing but singing on songs (Allen) to Bob Dylan. If you can't see the difference between the likes of her, Britney Spears etc. and Bob Dylan then there's nothing to discuss here.
    well Dylan gets "hired help" to play instruments and produce, which was your argument against Allen. so yeah, I guess not.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Jazzzman

The only good spot for Lily Allen is back home where nobody can see or hear her.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Jazzzman

Ok Mr Jazzzman please give us your preview of why you think this years acts stink, take in merit, integrity, appeal, I want your critical analysis of each and individual act listed on the bill.

Why would I bother doing that? We can all see the line-up is lacking something. I keep hearing the lame 'there's more too it than the music' excuse. I've been going since you've been in nappies. I know what it's about.

I've had a look at some acts that are in Europe in August for festivals (i.e were highly likely to be available for EP but weren't booked);

QOTSA
    The National
    The War On Drugs
    Deafheaven
    Robyn
    Manics
    Elbow
    Vampire Weekend
    We Are Scientists
    The Pains of Being Pure at Heart
    Jimmy Eat World
    Future Islands

I've made it a mix of music genres to include a bit of everything. I could have named another 15-20 acts were inexplicably left off the line up.

Funnily enough, looking at the other festival line ups, all the EP headliners/2nd/3rd headliners feature way down the other festivals list. This signifies it's lack of quality.

Personally I'm not interested in seeing the likes of Elbow or Manics, but I find the non-booking of 'hot' bands like The War on Drugs and Future Islands really poor form and really not good enough.

Now we can sit here and yap back and forth about what music is good and what isn't etc., but what I'd really like to know is why EP didn't get the finger out this year.

If it was a poor line up but an obviously expensive one, then I couldn't really complain. It just wouldn't be my bag.

But I have a sour taste in my mouth of the organisers largely taking the piss this year.

Some people will blindly follow them and 'have the craic lads, its EP!' but I expect more, and rightly so for the cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

Lily Allen will be a good afternoon spot for the main stage crowd, but her music, a bit meh, white sh1te reggae really.

Good to look at alright, but my god her song are complete sh1t! So basic, tries to rhyme, nearly in the same league as Barney the dinosaur!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,793 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

There much more to be announced d'ya reckon? Know Comedy, Red Bull, etc need announcing.

But are acts playing Cosby, LBT, Electric Arena etc mostly announced it's just a case of them being not specified for which stage?

Judging by this http://www.irishtimes.com/blogs/ontherecord/category/electric-picnic/page/2/ (assuming they stick to roughly the same format) Body and Soul will be announced mid-August. Guess then it might be a case of waiting to see full stage breakdowns to see everyone else after that?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Jazzzman wrote: »
    I've been going since you've been in nappies.

I agree with you to some extent but from what I've seen on this board the above would be an impressive feat.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

Out of curiosity, do you reckon bands like The Booka Brass Band will be there? They look like great craic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,793 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Jazzzman wrote: »
    Why would I bother doing that? We can all see the line-up is lacking something. I keep hearing the lame 'there's more too it than the music' excuse. I've been going since you've been in nappies. I know what it's about.

I've had a look at some acts that are in Europe in August for festivals (i.e were highly likely to be available for EP but weren't booked);

QOTSA
    The National (Played Cork, Galway, and 2 Dublin shows)
    The War On Drugs (1 Dublin show recently)
    Deafheaven
    Robyn
    Manics
    Elbow (Cork and Dublin)
    Vampire Weekend
    We Are Scientists (Playing Indiependence)
    The Pains of Being Pure at Heart
    Jimmy Eat World
    Future Islands

Dunno about the rest but few of those already played Ireland this summer. Not an expert but presumably they chose doing one-off gigs over festivals. Would love to see some of those bands playing but don't think it's a case of EP not being bothered to book them.

Was looking at Primevera line up and seeing class acts like Arcade Fire, National, Pixies, War on Drugs, QOTSA, etc and seeing they'd tickets starting at 99 and going to max of something like 150 for next year but they have 100,000 coming through the gates compared to maybe 35,000 for EP so gotta keep things in perspective!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement