Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2014 ** NO TICKET DISCUSSION ALLOWED ** see new mod note

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭pmalone

Jazzzman wrote: »

Personally I'm not interested in seeing the likes of Elbow or Manics, but I find the non-booking of 'hot' bands like The War on Drugs and Future Islands really poor form and really not good enough.

Now we can sit here and yap back and forth about what music is good and what isn't etc., but what I'd really like to know is why EP didn't get the finger out this year.

If it was a poor line up but an obviously expensive one, then I couldn't really complain. It just wouldn't be my bag.

But I have a sour taste in my mouth of the organisers largely taking the piss this year.

Some people will blindly follow them and 'have the craic lads, its EP!' but I expect more, and rightly so for the cost.

Despite your previous "trolling", I find myself oddly agreeing with much of what you have said. There just isn't that zing to the whole thing .. most of the acts you mentioned I wouldn't be bothered with .. but I agree that the omission of the War On Drugs or someone on the rise like that is a standout. Particularly considering the price. I guess you could say Jungle do fill such a slot.

I go every year regardless of the lineup and the loyalty ticket makes it a bit of a no-brainer for me and the better half. Most years I am more interested in some of the acts I haven't heard before than the main stage acts... this year even that is a bit light.

There are some good acts booked, but nothing that has me all excited.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭byrneg28

Anyone know is that it for announcements, or is there anymore scheduled?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Toast

Eod100 wrote: »
    they have 100,000 coming through the gates compared to maybe 35,000 for EP so gotta keep things in perspective!

Primavera has 100k over the whole event. Weekend tickets are counted as 3 people. The actual daily attendance is in the 35k region as well. Their costs are significantly less as they don't have to setup a temporary city in a field. They are using prebuilt infrastructure and don't have to worry about campers etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭MattD

When Dublin gospel choir and Trinity Orchestra get announced, I think that's your lot for main arena stages.

Casa Bacardi and Trenchtown done

Still announcements for B&S main stage, RBMA and Salty Dog/Trailer Park and any other odd woods stages to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

Why would I bother doing that? We can all see the line-up is lacking something. I keep hearing the lame 'there's more too it than the music' excuse. I've been going since you've been in nappies. I know what it's about.

I've had a look at some acts that are in Europe in August for festivals (i.e were highly likely to be available for EP but weren't booked);

QOTSA
    The National
    The War On Drugs
    Deafheaven
    Robyn
    Manics
    Elbow
    Vampire Weekend
    We Are Scientists
    The Pains of Being Pure at Heart
    Jimmy Eat World
    Future Islands

I've made it a mix of music genres to include a bit of everything. I could have named another 15-20 acts were inexplicably left off the line up.

Funnily enough, looking at the other festival line ups, all the EP headliners/2nd/3rd headliners feature way down the other festivals list. This signifies it's lack of quality.

Personally I'm not interested in seeing the likes of Elbow or Manics, but I find the non-booking of 'hot' bands like The War on Drugs and Future Islands really poor form and really not good enough.

Now we can sit here and yap back and forth about what music is good and what isn't etc., but what I'd really like to know is why EP didn't get the finger out this year.

If it was a poor line up but an obviously expensive one, then I couldn't really complain. It just wouldn't be my bag.

But I have a sour taste in my mouth of the organisers largely taking the piss this year.

Some people will blindly follow them and 'have the craic lads, its EP!' but I expect more, and rightly so for the cost.

Nobody is forcing you to go Mr Jazzman. You could do something else, you know, when you're finished giving out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

The butching is getting really boring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭bboybaboy19

BadTurtle wrote: »
    Well they're the three bands that shouldn't be playing, because they're manufacturer pop music, so there's that.
    I won't be going to see them.
    That why I said must-avoids. I want them on the same time as Portishead so the main stage isn't wasted on them.

I can only picture you typing this up off a special vintage keyboard whilst wearing a plaid shirt and wooly hat.

Manufactured pop bands me hole. You're just a hipster.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

The butching is getting really boring.

Typo is spot on! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,222 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Id actually like to see Paolo, his first 2 albums don't interest me much but this is great:

I can only picture you typing this up off a special vintage keyboard whilst wearing a plaid shirt and wooly hat.

Oh, we have another one!

• Advertisement

Oh, we have another one!

Another what? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,793 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Toast wrote: »
    Primavera has 100k over the whole event. Weekend tickets are counted as 3 people. The actual daily attendance is in the 35k region as well. Their costs are significantly less as they don't have to setup a temporary city in a field. They are using prebuilt infrastructure and don't have to worry about campers etc.

Aha, stand corrected! But yeah get your point about infrastructure and such!

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Jazzzman

Nobody is forcing you to go Mr Jazzman. You could do something else, you know, when you're finished giving out.
    Yeah, or I could have a reasoned debate in here discussing the event without people getting precious over it.

I was accused of trolling so I posted the above to put some weight into my opinion. Please respect it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭BadTurtle

No I just don't like tween music.
    And you sound like a twat spouting this kind of judgemental ****e for the record.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭pmalone

Yeah, or I could have a reasoned debate in here discussing the event without people getting precious over it.

I was accused of trolling so I posted the above to put some weight into my opinion. Please respect it.

and I weighed it, and it was 2.5Kg. Any opinion over 1Kg is worth taking into account IMHO...

So well done :) .. but you're not going, right? ;)

I don't see anyone getting precious, just people calling out your trolling.

****e trolling too btw, obvious, unoriginal & lacking any humour.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

...obvious, unoriginal & lacking any humour.

Yeah, I liked his first album better, you know, before anyone else had heard of him...

Why would I bother doing that? We can all see the line-up is lacking something. I keep hearing the lame 'there's more too it than the music' excuse. I've been going since you've been in nappies. I know what it's about.

I've had a look at some acts that are in Europe in August for festivals (i.e were highly likely to be available for EP but weren't booked);

QOTSA
    The National
    The War On Drugs
    Deafheaven
    Robyn
    Manics
    Elbow
    Vampire Weekend
    We Are Scientists
    The Pains of Being Pure at Heart
    Jimmy Eat World
    Future Islands

I've made it a mix of music genres to include a bit of everything. I could have named another 15-20 acts were inexplicably left off the line
    That's an Oxegen lineup.
    And OutKast are bigger than any of the people you listed there, none of them are big enough to headline Coachella.
    It's also not a mix of genres at all, it's almost all rock music. You obviously only listen to a very small selection

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

That's an Oxegen lineup.
    And OutKast are bigger than any of the people you listed there, none of them are big enough to headline Coachella.
    It's also not a mix of genres at all, it's almost all rock music. You obviously only listen to a very small selection

The National, War on Drugs, Vampire Weekend and Future Islands an Oxegen line up?? Pls.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,006 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

I'd agree with Mr jazz to a certain extent, the lineup isn't great considering an outlay of 235 notes, having said I'm going this year so hopefully something gets announced between now and then.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement

UsedToWait wrote: »
    Yeah, I liked his first album better, you know, before anyone else had heard of him...

No i don't know, what the **** are you talking about?

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭proudi

The National, War on Drugs, Vampire Weekend and Future Islands an Oxegen line up?? Pls.

Vampire Weekend played Oxegen in 2010. The National played in 2011.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭proudi

Yeah but that was the old Oxegen, not the new style, if it even comes back again.

When people refer to an 'Oxegen act' they're referring to the old Oxegen.

Soz I deleted my comment when I meant to edit it on the iPod ^

proudi wrote: »
    When people refer to an 'Oxegen act' they're referring to the old Oxegen.

Exactly. Calling SHM, Kanye West etc Oxegen acts is just something 17-18 year olds do.

Exactly. Calling SHM, Kanye West etc Oxegen acts is just something 17-18 year olds do.

Kanye West is pretty slick all the same in my opinion :P

No I just don't like tween music.
    And you sound like a twat spouting this kind of judgemental ****e for the record.

Sounds like I hit the mark there anyway.

No i don't know, what the **** are you talking about?

It was a joke.
    I could explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Chill out.

UsedToWait wrote: »
    It was a joke.
    I could explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Chill out.

It wasn't a very good joke

• Advertisement

It wasn't a very good joke

Yeah, well, that's just like, your opinion, man.

In the context of your contribution to the thread, I don't value it too highly.

Edit: actually, I was confusing you with Jazzman, so apologies to you :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement