Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2014 ** NO TICKET DISCUSSION ALLOWED ** see new mod note

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

There's also a number of tickets given out to residents that gives you entry for any one day of your choosing. You'll see a few of them up for sake on gumtree, adverts etc. need to be quick though!

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭nmg_ire

Had a BBQ tonight and listened to the EP playlist on spotify. I cannot wait to it now. Some brilliant acts playing. Not everyone is going be happy as everybody's tastes are different.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

It would really make EP quite a chilled event if they did adopt that 'free-flow alcohol' policy from the Body&Soul festival, it would also cut down on the queuing and delays in getting into the arena.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

It would really make EP quite a chilled event if they did adopt that 'free-flow alcohol' policy from the Body&Soul festival, it would also cut down on the queuing and delays in getting into the arena.

Yeah, it makes for a much handier and hassle free wkend.

Can't see it happening though, too much money to be lost i suspect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭bboybaboy19

it'd be great really, it's a pain in the bollocks sneaking drink in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

I don't understand the booze prohibition mentality at festivals and giving you a reduced crappy selection.
    Works brilliantly at Glastonbury and bars were always full.
    I had a hip flask but spent as much as I would anywhere else buying drinks as well.

Mince Pie wrote: »
    I don't understand the booze prohibition mentality at festivals and giving you a reduced crappy selection.
    I had a hip flask but spent as much as I would anywhere else buying drinks as well.

I'm sure they'll come out and say it's to prevent excessive drinking or some other crap but we all know it's about the money

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Dubhthamlacht

Mince Pie wrote: »

Festivals like Knockanstockan and Vantastival this year, showed that having a BYOB policy plus a bar on site can work perfectly in harmony. They need not being separate. It's bull**** that the majority of Irish festivals enforce this rule.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

I'm sure they'll come out and say it's to prevent excessive drinking or some other crap but we all know it's about the money

Totally, I saw more people out of their faces at Longitude. Its mental cos people sit outside and drink their cheap booze and top load before going inside.
    Add to that all the agro they get over the toilets, which is really to be expected if your only real drink option is Heinekin. It goes right through ye.
    Can't recall seeing anyone píssed at Glastonbury to be honest. Total shíte.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

If making changes to the "subject to licence" after you know who, hopefully they can look at how "temporary" bars are regulated at festivals and the like! I mean like come on 10pm bar closed, JOKE:mad:
    met a couple from the UK at last years EP, they hadn't taken booze with them and were absolutely shocked to learn of the 10pm closing time.

I know it suits us in this case as we can go back out and bring in booze after 10, but it's quite an awkward time to be trekking back to the tent for supplies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭freddiemoore

it'd be great really, it's a pain in the bollocks sneaking drink in.

Pun intended?

Pun intended?

I wish I was that smart haha, nice catch :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

i really hope it's a full friday this year but i doubt it.

some pain in the arse getting down to stradbally and setting up just for a few acts and then having the rest of the night free. you inevitably go hard as fcuk just to kill the time and then you're fcuked for the rest of the weekend

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

With these guys playing on the Saturday i could see them doing the late night dance slot

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

With these guys playing on the Saturday i could see them doing the late night dance slot

I really hope not, I saw them live before and the only song people perk up for is that one. I'm still waiting for Moderat or someone reasonable to be announced to fill the Saturday night slot.

I really hope not, I saw them live before and the only song people perk up for is that one. I'm still waiting for Moderat or someone reasonable to be announced to fill the Saturday night slot.

Clean bandit are absolutely brilliant. They have so so many great songs, they'd be perfect as the late night dance act I think..that song is probably one of their worst

Moderat in that slot could in all fairness to them probably put the crowd to sleep

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Clean bandit are absolutely brilliant. They have so so many great songs, they'd be perfect as the late night dance act I think..that song is probably one of their worst

Moderat in that slot could in all fairness to them probably put the crowd to sleep

I have to disagree with you but each to their own. I think the fundamental difference is that some see it as a late night electronic slot whereas others see it as a dance slot. Although similar if you think the likes of Chromeo and Moderat would put the crowd to sleep there's clearly quite a big distinction!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Moderat have a lot of dizzbusters in their catalogue though, Rusty Nails, Sea Monkey, Milk, Bad Religion, A New Error, NR 22 and the like and there has been a few solo Modeselektor moments too during their sets, well there was in 2009 when they last played EP so they keep it pretty lively plus theres their visuals that complements the sound and makes for a nice trippy experience. wouldn't work on the main stage though it would have to be tented, either the Cosby or Little Big tent.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

I have to disagree with you but each to their own. I think the fundamental difference is that some see it as a late night electronic slot whereas others see it as a dance slot. Although similar if you think the likes of Chromeo and Moderat would put the crowd to sleep there's clearly quite a big distinction!

If it was a late night electronic slot then yeah fair enough but not Moderat, they're just incredibly boring IMO. Minimal is awful stuff.

I wouldn't put Chromeo in the same category at all, they're actually fun and could get a crowd dancing.
    I'd expect Moderat with RBMA, not on the main stage

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

no chance, they're pretty much nobodies.

multiple dance-y acts higher than them on the poster too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 xchancellor

It'll be Portishead a la Glastonbury

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭garrkell

i really hope it's a full friday this year but i doubt it.

some pain in the arse getting down to stradbally and setting up just for a few acts and then having the rest of the night free. you inevitably go hard as fcuk just to kill the time and then you're fcuked for the rest of the weekend

surely you can drink moderately? it isnt that hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,562 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

It boils down to this I think, personally I would have it down as a dance slot rather than an electronic slot. I'm not a fan of Moderat so maybe I'm a bit biased, but I wouldn't think their sound would appeal to as many people as much as other dance/electronic acts on the bill, if they were to be announced I would have thought they'd be more suited to somewhere like the LBT, no?

It will be interesting to see who gets this slot, no standout candidates in the line up, I have a feeling it will go to a non dance/electronic act this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭PadraigOK

I can see Chic maybe doing it, think it would work really well (although the majority of the gig/festival going public has probably seen them by now). Portishead into Chic, I've spent many a Saturday night in worse company.

Although they are probably down for the Sunday as a day ticket draw.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Jazzzman

The only way that would work Eimear is that you and two other mates split in for the weekend ticket, one goes for the Friday, you go the Saturday and your other friend the Sunday, but that will probably not happen anyway, but just an idea.

Wow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

Portishead into Chic would actually be cool!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭miller82

do we know any certainties for the Sunday yet ? based on rumour or bands own websites etc ???

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

no chance, they're pretty much nobodies.

multiple dance-y acts higher than them on the poster too.

Would not say they are nobodies . Had a massive hit with Rather Be and the follow up was a big enough song . I would admit it would be a big jump for them and was gonna say Duke Dumont could do it but he is on Sunday .

They are a band i prob would go see if i had nothing else happening or no possible clashes.

Would rather Chic

Dan le sac v scroobius pip just put in their fb about heading to INDIEPENDANCE with "last Ireland show???" Big time uncertainty there, strong contenders to get added to the bill I think. Would be a great addition

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭PadraigOK

miller82 wrote: »
    do we know any certainties for the Sunday yet ? based on rumour or bands own websites etc ???
    I stuck this up a while ago after doing a spot of research:

Beck - Fri (tentatively)
    Foals - Fri
    PSB - Fri
    Omar Souleyman - Fri
    Young Fathers - Fri
    Blondie - Fri or Sat
    Wild Beasts - Fri or Sat
    Mogwai - Fri or Sun
    The Horrors - Fri or Sun
    Kelis - Fri or Sun
    Stephen Malkmus and the Jicks - Fri or Sun