Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2014 ** NO TICKET DISCUSSION ALLOWED ** see new mod note

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭GaryByrne

EP 4 weeks, no place i'd "rather be" :P

I'd love if Half moon run were added, highly unlikely though :(

Another band from Donegal were added, Little hours, check them out on youtube. I can't link :(

Really great stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭bboybaboy19

Moderat make minimal??? .. wow .. i must have my understanding of what minimal is completely wrong.
    Minimal techno, yes indeed.
    Lol, you know you're dealing with someone who is clueless when they refer to Moderat as minimal.

lol

googleheimers. net/2013/08/23/moderat-minimal-techno-germans-do-it-better/
    en.wikipedia. org/wiki/Moderat

but they must be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Lol, you know you're dealing with someone who is clueless when they refer to Moderat as minimal.

Temples are minimal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

Whatever labels you need to put on them, if it's a choice between Moderat and Clean Bandit there's only one winner there

Whatever labels you need to put on them, if it's a choice between Moderat and Clean Bandit there's only one winner there

Yeah, Chic.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

The only reason i say Clean bandit might do it would be because they would be cheap for EP to book them in that slot . Plus it would not technically call that slot since it was Bjork who headlined last year. Also i thought Disclosure getting that slot was a bit out of the blue aswell imo
    Now im not a massive fan of CB at all but there 2 singles released so far have done better then any of Disclosures songs released here in Ireland :p

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Minimal techno, yes indeed.

lol

googleheimers. net/2013/08/23/moderat-minimal-techno-germans-do-it-better/
    en.wikipedia. org/wiki/Moderat

but they must be wrong.

bboybaboy19 have you heard of Modeselektor, they comprise of themselves and Apparat to make the group Moderat. Modeselektor and Apparat are multi-generic, they are capable of minimal but play many different styles, dubstep, drum n bass, techno, grime, glitch, hip hop, ambient techno, brain dance, IDM and loads of other stuff.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 sun structures

bboybaboy19 have you heard of Modeselektor, the comprise of themselves and Apparat to make the group Moderat. Modeselektor and Apparat are multi-generic, they are capable of minimal but play many different styles, dubstep, drum n bass, amazing Berlin techno, grime, glitch, hip hop and loads of other stuff.

A listen to moderats first album will also tell you that they aren't restricted to minimal despite what the ever reliable wikipedia (:rolleyes:) says.

bboybaboy19 have you heard of Modeselektor, they comprise of themselves and Apparat to make the group Moderat. Modeselektor and Apparat are multi-generic, they are capable of minimal but play many different styles, dubstep, drum n bass, amazing Berlin techno, grime, glitch, hip hop and loads of other stuff.

Yes but people are denying that they make minimal altogether. Saying I'm clueless for even suggesting it, then there's backtracking.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Right wanna see what the big deal with Moderat is . Can people link me a few of their best tunes

• Advertisement

bboybaboy19 have you heard of Modeselektor, they comprise of themselves and Apparat to make the group Moderat. Modeselektor and Apparat are multi-generic, they are capable of minimal but play many different styles, dubstep, drum n bass, amazing Berlin techno, grime, glitch, hip hop and loads of other stuff.

A late night Apparat set on B&S stage would be a treat

A listen to moderats first album will also tell you that they aren't restricted to minimal despite what the ever reliable wikipedia (:rolleyes:) says.

Never said they were restricted to minimal. I said they make and play minimal and I said minimal is awful stuff.

Right wanna see what the big deal with Moderat is . Can people link me a few of their best tunes

Honestly man listen to either of their albums start to finish. Both amazing yet different.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

http://www.mixcloud.com/Nihindula/moderat-live-electric-picnic-05092009/

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭BadTurtle

Never said they were restricted to minimal. I said they make and play minimal and I said minimal is awful stuff.

About as much as Daft Punk make and play chill out music.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

All this talk of Moderat had me happy for a while .. then I remembered that they ARE NOT playing EP. :(

still not minimal, despite what the Internet bible known as wikipedia says … honestly can't think of one tune from them that could be described as minimal.

edit: beaten to it, fine choices above.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

With all the talk of new announcements and such you kind of forget what was already announced. Just remembered I have Temples to look forward to :D

With all the talk of new announcements and such you kind of forget what was already announced. Just remembered I have Temples to look forward to :D

minimal ;)

I haven't stopped listening to their album for the last 2 months. Cannot wait to see them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

I've just in the last week or so discovered the glory that is Led Zeppelin. Absolutely distraught that I didn't go see Robert Plant last year as a result. Sigh.

I haven't stopped listening to their album for the last 2 months. Cannot wait to see them.

Despite reading some lacklustre reviews of this album, I have to admit that I really like it. I don't normally go for the psychedelic end of the musical spectrum, but this is definitely a cracker of an album.

I've just in the last week or so discovered the glory that is Led Zeppelin. Absolutely distraught that I didn't go see Robert Plant last year as a result. Sigh.

You left that a bit late! Put on a great performance last year, and is playing the Olympia later on in the year too. Tickets are a bit pricy thou.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭freddiemoore

BadTurtle wrote: »
    Do you live in a parallel universe or something? Bizarro world maybe?
    Do you also think the world is flat?
    Clean Bandit have nowhere near a big enough stage show to handle a headline slot. One hit wonders continue to release music without replicating their original success, that's the way it's going for Clean Bandit. They'll be remembered for Rather Be, nothing else.

Tbf Disclosure weren't all that big in Ireland this time last year and people were shocked to see them get the slot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

Tbf Disclosure weren't all that big in Ireland this time last year and people were shocked to see them get the slot.

I believe they were in the midst of their meteoric rise around this time last year though if I remember correctly. Also they actually write good music..

I believe they were in the midst of their meteoric rise around this time last year though if I remember correctly. Also they actually write good music..

I think their association with knackers and their performance in the charts put people off. The album they released is a masterpiece and beautifully written. A real surprise for me.

I think their association with knackers and their performance in the charts put people off. The album they released is a masterpiece and beautifully written. A real surprise for me.

Really? Masterpiece is a very strong word. Settle is decent, maybe a bit more than that but hardly a masterpiece by any credible yardstick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭BadTurtle

It was probably the best reviewed electronic album of last year, and they were huge in the UK already so it made sense to put them there when there were no other viable options. There's no point likening Clean Bandit to them, very big gulf in popularity, ability and size of performances.

Harvest was definitely better from last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,562 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Everyone arguing whether Moderat or Clean Bandit should get the late slot on the Saturday when Moderat haven't even been announced :pac:

Looking at the past 5 years the acts for that slot have been Disclosure, Orbital, Chemical Brothers, Leftfield and 2manyDJs, based on that I can't see Clean Bandit getting it but who else is suitable? Chic are the act I'm looking forward to seeing most at EP but I don't think they will get that slot either.

If I was a betting man I would put my money on it being Portishead, but if I were to pick who I would like to see I'd go with Annie Mac or Le Galaxie DJ set. Annie Mac has plenty of experience playing at festivals and I'm confident she would put on a good show on the Saturday night, and Le Galaxie have built up a reputation as being one of the best acts in the country including two massive performances at EP the past two years so it would seem appropriate for them to get it, but I don't think they are a big enough name unfortunately.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement