Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2014 ** NO TICKET DISCUSSION ALLOWED ** see new mod note

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Peterd66

See rubberbandits latest video.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭bboybaboy19

Peterd66 wrote: »
    See rubberbandits latest video.

I was trying to get my head around for this for ages then I got it.
    Paddypoohead, you'll score no bother ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭partay pooper

rave in woods/red bull stage? is it on this year???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

PadraigOK wrote: »
    Were you expecting QOTSA, The National and Deafheaven to appear in there?

Others were expecting The Black Keys too.
    Maybe they'll be announced for RBMA stage!

rave in woods/red bull stage? is it on this year???

Can't imagine why not!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭garrkell

H8GHOTI wrote: »

RBMA stage is all djs and electronic stuff. no band stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭BadTurtle

Maybe they'll be DJing for the rave in the woods?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

BadTurtle wrote: »
    Maybe they'll be DJing for the rave in the woods?

That'd be great.
    They play minimal techno in their DJ sets. Stuff like Moderat. Can't wait.

That'd be great.

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

That'd be great.

Hahaha, well played.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

Jaysis lads, just on Spotify having a listen to some of the acts announced for B&S and liking what I'm hearing so far. Actually loving. So with the €150 ticket and the headliners already announced I just know I'm going to have an awesome time.

Foals are my must see in the headliners and Outkast.

B&S - Young Fathers, Perfume Genius, The Eskies and the Tuneyards are going to be so much fun.

AND theres more to come, so relax yer cacks. Its already shaping up to be a brilliant weekend. Now they just need to get the Booka Brass Band cos haven't seen them live yet. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

Jazzzman wrote: »
    I rather naively bought my ticket early, trusting the organisers to string a good line up together as they'd done so in previous years.

Hence my posts, hence my concern, hence my disappointment.

P.S I addressed miller82's second paragraph in that very post.

Dude, even the worlds greatest curmudgeon could find 10 or 12 gigs worth seeing over the weekend, for the price of the ticket that's good value, unless you are looking for a blow job from Anne Hathaway then anything is gonna disappoint you.

I'm well into my 40s and cannot wait to get to this and am terrified of the clashes that are gonna happen causing me to miss stuff. To quote Sheldon from tbbt, you just don't like fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Monsieur Folie

I rather naively bought my ticket early, trusting the organisers to string a good line up together as they'd done so in previous years.

Hence my posts, hence my concern, hence my disappointment.

P.S I addressed miller82's second paragraph in that very post.

I bought my ticket early too, and the line up turned out much differently that I'd hoped and thought it would. If I was cynical I might have even agreed with you, but I decided instead to delve into the line up we were given and see what takes my fancy, and I have to say any doubts I had have since been quashed. I've really taken a liking to this line up and I've gone from wondering where I'd spend the weekend to now fearing clashes.

The line up might not be as jammed with big names as it normally is but the quality is still there, I know this because I've been checking out bands from all over the bill and loving them.

Nothing personal, but your cynical attitude is only going to ruin the festival for yourself. Everyone else is still going to have a great time. It's fair enough that you might be disappointed that some acts you wanted weren't snapped up or that the line-up doesn't quite tailor to your tastes. That's fine, and I don't think anyone here is disputing that. Not everyone is going to like the line up everyone single year. However, complaining about it excessively isn't going to change it. I would suggest you comb through the line up for its hidden gems (of which there are many) if you haven't already, or, if you really can't find anything for you, sell your ticket and be done with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

Statics have confirmed, which I'm very happy about. Very tight band, in a La's/Coral type mould.

I see Girl Band confirming. I'm not so convinced by their last two (stupidly named) singles, but they put on a good show at Whelan's earlier in the year.

Will we have any other small/medium sized announcements? The line is ok, but it's not the best. Granted, I'll still very much enjoy myself, check out some new bands, hang out in Mindfield etc.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Dude, even the worlds greatest curmudgeon could find 10 or 12 gigs worth seeing over the weekend, for the price of the ticket that's good value, unless you are looking for a blow job from Anne Hathaway then anything is gonna disappoint you.

I'm well into my 40s and cannot wait to get to this and am terrified of the clashes that are gonna happen causing me to miss stuff. To quote Sheldon from tbbt, you just don't like fun.

Wait Anne is not gonna being their? **** that anyone wanna buy a ticket :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Mince Pie wrote: »
    B&S - Young Fathers, Perfume Genius, The Eskies and the Tuneyards are going to be so much fun.

Really liking the sound of Young Fathers. Definitely going to try and see them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

Wait Anne is not gonna being their? **** that anyone wanna buy a ticket :P

London Grammar will be there though, not sure if they will be offering lessons though. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Dubhthamlacht

The last major announcement of 23 acts for the main stages, for me, was very underwhelming. However EP is much more than those main stages. Over the course of the weekend there will be multitude of great acts to see. Some may be little known but that is half the fun.

I'm already looking forward to seeing The Altered Hours, Sleep Thieves, Sounds Of System Breakdown (all on B&S main stage),Punch Face Champions (B&S Earthship stage), The Statics & Kicking Bird (Oxjam tent).

That's without knowing what's on the Salty Dog stage, Trailer Park stage or the Other Voices Stage.

I personally think if you limit yourself to judging the festival by the acts on the main stages you are cutting out some much of the attraction of the festival. Sure the big acts are the main draw, but they are far from the sole reason to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I'm fairly pleased with the line up, the only disappointments being that Body & Soul didn't rebook James Holden because of his cancellation at their festival and the fact that Moderat wasn't snapped up after them playing to a packed out Little Big Tent in 2009 and a sold out Vicar St gig earlier this year, although I did catch them for the first time then and was blown away. As far as electronica goes for the festival there is not too bad a sprinkling of acts, I'm well pleased that Body&Soul booked Reid and Shane Mannion two great electronic artists from Cork, Dineen of course will be there too, SBTRKT, Duke Dumont, Sh1t Robot plus the Red Bull stage to be announced as well and a host of classic rock and pop acts that I've already mentioned a few times, looking forward to my 9th edition of EP. :)

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

As far as electronica goes for the festival there is not too bad a sprinkling of acts, I'm well pleased that Body&Soul booked Reid and Shane Mannion two great electronic artists from Cork, Dineen of course will be there too, SBTRKT, Duke Dumont, Sh1t Robot

also Flume, Kaytranada & Bicep should be considered. Am intrigued by FKA Twigs also.

Last time I saw Sh1t Robot was all a bit boring and samey. I had seen him before and he was cracking, so am a bit on the fence there.

Overall there is shed loads of music to pique my interest .. as always :)

This will be my 11th year … :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭garra

I bought my ticket early too, and the line up turned out much differently that I'd hoped and thought it would. If I was cynical I might have even agreed with you, but I decided instead to delve into the line up we were given and see what takes my fancy, and I have to say any doubts I had have since been quashed. I've really taken a liking to this line up and I've gone from wondering where I'd spend the weekend to now fearing clashes.

The line up might not be as jammed with big names as it normally is but the quality is still there, I know this because I've been checking out bands from all over the bill and loving them.

Nothing personal, but your cynical attitude is only going to ruin the festival for yourself. Everyone else is still going to have a great time. It's fair enough that you might be disappointed that some acts you wanted weren't snapped up or that the line-up doesn't quite tailor to your tastes. That's fine, and I don't think anyone here is disputing that. Not everyone is going to like the line up everyone single year. However, complaining about it excessively isn't going to change it. I would suggest you comb through the line up for its hidden gems (of which there are many) if you haven't already, or, if you really can't find anything for you, sell your ticket and be done with it.

Hey Folie - Would you mind expanding on the hidden nuggets in the line-up, aside from the headliners and metronomy I am ignorant of the output of the other bands.. I'm 40+ and I'm liking alternative/indie/folk stuff, anything from flaming lips to decemberists.. Is there anything you have found in the line-up that you can recommend to a conoisseur like me? :D

thanks in advance!
    g

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Oh I lowered my expectations some time ago.

What gigs have you gone to this year so far? Maybe that will help people find bands that you might like.

There's a load of stuff I haven't heard of and probably wouldn't pay to see if they were playing in Dublin FKATwigs for example but will probably throw an eye over at EP.

I usually have a gander at Pitchfork for the US based bands to get a flavour, maybe you just need to do a bit of research. It would be a terribly boring festival if you knew all the bands and didn't have at least one new discovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,562 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭BadTurtle

Boddika and Joy Orbison, excellent!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,896 ✭✭✭Rfrip

The last major announcement of 23 acts for the main stages, for me, was very underwhelming. However EP is much more than those main stages. Over the course of the weekend there will be multitude of great acts to see. Some may be little known but that is half the fun.

I'm already looking forward to seeing The Altered Hours, Sleep Thieves, Sounds Of System Breakdown (all on B&S main stage),Punch Face Champions (B&S Earthship stage), The Statics & Kicking Bird (Oxjam tent).

That's without knowing what's on the Salty Dog stage, Trailer Park stage or the Other Voices Stage.

I personally think if you limit yourself to judging the festival by the acts on the main stages you are cutting out some much of the attraction of the festival. Sure the big acts are the main draw, but they are far from the sole reason to go.

This is it in a nutshell....if your only interest in a festival is for headline acts on for three hours from 8-11 each night then your going to the wrong festival and are really missing out one the whole essence of electric picnic

I do however have concerns over the increased capacity, think Sunday is going to be uncomfortable. Especially Sunday night in body and soul.

garra wrote: »
    Hey Folie - Would you mind expanding on the hidden nuggets in the line-up, aside from the headliners and metronomy I am ignorant of the output of the other bands.. I'm 40+ and I'm liking alternative/indie/folk stuff, anything from flaming lips to decemberists.. Is there anything you have found in the line-up that you can recommend to a connoisseur like me? :D

thanks in advance!
    g

I guess a 40+ connoisseur would already know:
    mogwai (a must see if you haven't before... LOUD)
    foals
    slowdive
    wild beasts

based on "alternative/indie/folk stuff" in no particular order
    try:
    tune-yards
    vancouver sleep clinic
    young fathers
    temples
    white denim
    Unknown mortal orchestra
    Wolf Alice
    Asgeir

... sure that's a whole weekend of top class music right there ... :)

What gigs have you gone to this year so far? Maybe that will help people find bands that you might like.

There's a load of stuff I haven't heard of and probably wouldn't pay to see if they were playing in Dublin FKATwigs for example but will probably throw an eye over at EP.

I usually have a gander at Pitchfork for the US based bands to get a flavour, maybe you just need to do a bit of research. It would be a terribly boring festival if you knew all the bands and didn't have at least one new discovery.

WARNING: Extreme hipster bullsh1t be there at times ;) .. for example they gave the temples album a very tough review (5.5!) … turns out its a cracker of an album … basically pitchfork can be quite up its arse. Sometimes I read a bad review there and think "yeah that sounds like something i might like". YMMV

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Nice to see Joy Orbison again, he was amazing at Life Festival.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

WARNING: Extreme hipster bullsh1t be there at times ;) .. for example they gave the temples album a very tough review (5.5!) … turns out its a cracker of an album … basically pitchfork can be quite up its arse. Sometimes I read a bad review there and think "yeah that sounds like something i might like". YMMV

http://www.theonion.com/articles/pitchfork-gives-music-68,2278/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Jazzzman

You get terribly bored watching bands you know and like?

That's a new one.

Coming across new music is always a joy. I do my best at keeping my finger on the pulse (I even visit Pitchfork!). If you're trying to tell me the line up is full of hidden gems that I simply haven't come across then I'll have to politely disagree. :rolleyes:

I think people need to hold their hands up and admit the line up is lacking from previous years.

Will I have a good time? You betcha!

Will I still maintain the line up has been a disappointment? Most certainly, because it's the truth.

I don't really want to discuss the line up anymore. We all know the story.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement