Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2014 ** NO TICKET DISCUSSION ALLOWED ** see new mod note

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,793 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

lbj666 wrote: »
    EPs facebook page

"All tickets are now sold out. Please be careful if buying from an unofficial source. GET ME IN! is our official ticket resale partner. You can buy and sell here and all transactions are safe & secure."

They are going for £440 with a processing charge of £79.

So ya Electric Picnic are endorsing a site that is selling tickets for £440 each. Seems they don't give a **** about touts as long as ticketmaster get a cut.

It doesn't bode well if people are expecting batch release of tickets that they do to curb touts.

How does it work? As in is that a seller using that site selling those tickets? Or is it the site themselves selling? Either way fairly outrageous price. Presume EP get a cut.

Remember watching a Panorama doc about some ticketing crowd in UK who purposefully held back tickets and sold them at exorbitant rates to boost profits. Not saying that's happening here but sill doesn't reflect well on EP.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

I know the touting is the topic of the moment but after the torrential downpour I've just been caught in, I just wanted to ask a couple of vintage EP goers, whats the weather typically like over the weekend?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭johnnykilo

Mince Pie wrote: »
    I know the touting is the topic of the moment but after the torrential downpour I've just been caught in, I just wanted to ask a couple of vintage EP goers, whats the weather typically like over the weekend?

I haven't gone in the last 2 or 3 years but I've been to all of them before that, and all bar one or two years were great, just the odd shower. It's going back to school weather so typically that time of year is good.

With our reverse "good" Summers the last 2 years though, perhaps that has changed :/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭BadTurtle

Bar the hurricane that attacked the festival on Sunday night in 2010 I can't remember more than the odd shower. Nothing like the rain Oxegen used to get.

BadTurtle wrote: »
    Bar the hurricane that attacked the festival on Sunday night in 2010 I can't remember more than the odd shower. Nothing like the rain Oxegen used to get.

Hurricane???? :eek:

Would you believe that I'd never even heard of Oxegen till last year. I was living in the Uk for years but was always jealous of my friends posting on FB about going to EP but never Oxegen. So couldn't even tell ye what month it used to take place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

Eod100 wrote: »
    How does it work? As in is that a seller using that site selling those tickets? Or is it the site themselves selling? Either way fairly outrageous price. Presume EP get a cut.

Remember watching a Panorama doc about some ticketing crowd in UK who purposefully held back tickets and sold them at exorbitant rates to boost profits. Not saying that's happening here but sill doesn't reflect well on EP.

This is not a new thing in the UK, secondary ticketing outlets are all over the place and almost seems par for course at this stage, there seem no interest in the Government in the UK doing anything about it. Some of them are dodge and promise tickets and don't get them sometimes, the worrying thing here is that this is a affiliate of the outlet who sold them in the first place with an extortionate processing fee.

Thankfully it hasnt caught on here but the fact EP are plugging one is very worrying and just any sign of festival republic live nation ticketmaster et al pushing their weight around.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

It's just silly exploitation though. The same people were looking for face value before it sold out

Thats the way of it though. It baffles me that people are willing to pay that amount of money and weren't willing to pay 150e, over three installments a few months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

D.Q wrote: »
    Thats the way of it though. It baffles me that people are willing to pay that amount of money and weren't willing to pay 150e, over three installments a few months ago.

Life gets in the way and people are caught off-guard, perhaps?
    Unexpected events happen that stop them from being able to pay the money - my first chance to buy a ticket after a long break-up and the cost of moving home was going to be yesterday but I got stung by the BOI fiasco and got fucked in an unexpected way.

It perplexes me that some are so baffled by other people's individual circumstances not aligning with their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I think it was the Channel 4 programme Dispatches, the name of that episode was called The Great Ticket Scandal.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Mince Pie wrote: »
    Hurricane???? :eek:

Would you believe that I'd never even heard of Oxegen till last year. I was living in the Uk for years but was always jealous of my friends posting on FB about going to EP but never Oxegen. So couldn't even tell ye what month it used to take place.

Bit of hyperbole there. But that night was ridiculous, Massive Attack had guys sweeping water off the stage for their entire set, and most people just went and sheltered for the rest of the night, a load of tents got blown apart in the gales. It was very very bleak.
    Oxegen was mid July but for some reason it was almost always raining. Photos from Glasto in the early part of the millennium would give you some idea what the place was like after a few hours. Mud baths and collapsed tents everywhere.

• Advertisement

Bit of hyperbole there. But that night was ridiculous, Massive Attack had guys sweeping water off the stage for their entire set, and most people just went and sheltered for the rest of the night, a load of tents got blown apart in the gales. It was very very bleak.
    Oxegen was mid July but for some reason it was almost always raining. Photos from Glasto in the early part of the millennium would give you some idea what the place was like after a few hours. Mud baths and collapsed tents everywhere.

Jaysis, good job the "hurricane" was on the Sunday night cos weekend is almost done.
    I really need a dry festival, I'm done in with wearing wellies this year and the frickin mud. My neck aches from looking at flags and clouds and wondering what they are about to unleash upon us.
    It doesn't need to be a heatwave, just dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

To be fair EP 2010 started off with the most amazing sun shine for the Friday it was hotter that day than the last two EPs, I know because once I set up my tent, had a few spliffs and tins I got a blinding headache from the heat and ended having the crash for three or four hours, only woke up in time again to catch a bit of Roxy Music, a bit of PIL and a bit of Rubber Bandits. Saturday was grand too dry but more cloudy. It wasn't really till the evening of Sunday about 7.30 pm during the National's set where there was showers and then the wind. So it wasn't incredibly bad weather the festival just came to a vicious end with the hurricane and all that, thankfully my last main gig was in the EA with Fever Ray which was pretty damn good and I managed to last half an hour in front of Massive Attack.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭larrymiller

Holy Moses tickets going for 500 on dd!!
    I wonder what way they've extended camp sites for the extra people?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

grindle wrote: »

It perplexes me that some are so baffled by other people's individual circumstances not aligning with their own.

The BOI thingy is hardly a fiasco! Payment 24hrs late, given the on sale time (5 months) that's a fairly weak excuse.

It's understandable how people may not have the cash to go but I think the general point is, if you know 100% that you want to go, what changes in circumstances that you pass up;
    March -€155,
    April - €155,
    May - €195,
    June - €195,
    July - €230
    and then be able to go and spent €400 via a tout in August??
    Bizarre!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Toast

Holy Moses tickets going for 500 on dd!!

Feeding the frenzy by posting ever rising ticket prices probably doesn't help things. People are ASKING for this which doesn't mean they'll get it (hopefully). Same thing happens after every big event sells out. People panic and people take advantage of them. Things will stabilise as the festival comes closer and if people are insistent on dealing with Touts I hope they've the sense to wait a few weeks rather than snap tickets up now at stupid prices.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Thomas D

lol at the Irish. It's a piss poor budget lineup and now we have 40K people killing themselves to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

Yeah, definitely an Irish thing. The stupid spud-eating, Guinness-drinking leprechauns! No other country in the western world has demand is excess of supply for gigs (with average line-ups)!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

More tickets will appear on TM between now and the date you just need to be diligent and check often.

Thomas D wrote: »
    lol at the Irish. It's a piss poor budget lineup and now we have 40K people killing themselves to go.
    How do you even respond to that kind of insightful remark?
    Off with you troll, nothing for you here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,546 ✭✭✭Duff

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

I have never been to a dry festival. I went to Oxegen in 2008, lashed out of it for the first 3 days.

Then DRownload in 2012, which took rain and mud to a whole new level.Really warm on the wednesday morning, but the heavens opened as I walked in the gates and didn't stop until the Sunday. People couldnt even get into the car park, main stage opening was delayed, few bands dropped from the bill. It got quite grim.

316868.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭larrymiller

Toast wrote: »
    Feeding the frenzy by posting ever rising ticket prices probably doesn't help things. People are ASKING for this which doesn't mean they'll get it (hopefully). Same thing happens after every big event sells out. People panic and people take advantage of them. Things will stabilise as the festival comes closer and if people are insistent on dealing with Touts I hope they've the sense to wait a few weeks rather than snap tickets up now at stupid prices.
    Yeah so it's my fault that the tickets are that price.
    On yer bike

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Fatfrog wrote: »
    It's understandable how people may not have the cash to go but I think the general point is, if you know 100% that you want to go, what changes in circumstances that you pass up;
    March -€155,
    April - €155,
    May - €195,
    June - €195,
    July - €230
    and then be able to go and spent €400 via a tout in August??
    Bizarre!!

March & April my money was being saved for weddings in April and May, I would've bought the ticket after that wedding in May but I broke up with the ex which created a €1500 hole in my finances over the next few weeks as I had to get a new place to stay.

I'm out of that hole now, I can afford a ticket now. I would've been able to afford it on Thursday morning.
    I probably won't be paying €400 for one, I'm hoping for a ticket re-up on TM or finding a kinder soul on some site or another, but it's a fact that I couldn't afford a ticket up until this very week, and if it's my only option I can now afford dumb prices.

That's how spending money goes, you can't afford some things if you need others, but once you have the things you need you build up cash and all of a sudden can afford the things you want. It's like magic but it's spelt 'budgeting'.
    Bizarre that you can't fathom some aspects of life getting in the way of other aspects. Tunnel vision.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

ah i rememember you. if anyone's looking for a laugh, read this guy's post history in the gigs & events forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Toast

Yeah so it's my fault that the tickets are that price.
    On yer bike

Not what I said. I said prices were high because people are panicing and it probably doesn't help an atmosphere of panic that when prices hit some new level of crazy on the tout sites that it gets reported here each time. You were just the latest to do it not the only one. If people actually are genuinely upset by the high prices stop fanning the flames would be my thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭garra

Alright, I'll give it a go. I've been getting excited about some of the acts from further down the bill. The Districts (links to songs Funeral Beds & Lyla) are looking good to me as a decent indie outfit, as are The Orwells (Dirty Sheets & The Righteous One). A couple of people mentioned Unknown Mortal Orchestra (Swim and Sleep (Like a Shark) & So Good At Being In Trouble) earlier in this thread and I gave them a listen and I quite like their sound too, a lot more chilled out than the previous two I've linked. There are a few more but those are the first three that come to mind.

After that I guess it depends on just how much of the upper bill you're already familiar with. I wouldn't really consider any of the ones I'm about to mention "hidden" by any means. Foals are getting a lot of people excited and rightly so imo. I'm crazy excited to see London Grammar after seeing the show they put on at Glastonbury. St. Vincent is also an excellent female vocalist. Bombay Bicycle Club are decent.

These are just a few of my personal picks, didn't cover everything I'm excited for, and there's likely tonnes more that I haven't mentioned either because it's not my cup of tea or I'm just not familiar enough with it. I also neglected to mention some of the electronic acts I've been listening to (Flume, Rustie, Le Galaxie) since you specifically mentioned indie. If anyone wants to recommend I give anything else a listen based on the above then please do. :)

Merci beaucoup Monsieur Foley - Much appreciate you taking the time to help bring me up to speed on new acts (new to me!). Have just checked out that St. Vincent wan, doing her Digital Witness on Jools show, I will most definitely be having all she has of that.

Will need more time to check out your other recommendations. As someone else suggested it's a great idea to just wander round and take in different acts without having any idea of what they are about. Not sure how much time i will have for that though as I will be there as crew, based in global green area

• Registered Users Posts: 11,793 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Alright, I'll give it a go. I've been getting excited about some of the acts from further down the bill. The Districts (links to songs Funeral Beds & Lyla) are looking good to me as a decent indie outfit, as are The Orwells (Dirty Sheets & The Righteous One). A couple of people mentioned Unknown Mortal Orchestra (Swim and Sleep (Like a Shark) & So Good At Being In Trouble) earlier in this thread and I gave them a listen and I quite like their sound too, a lot more chilled out than the previous two I've linked. There are a few more but those are the first three that come to mind.

Class, didn't even realise The Districts had been announced. Only heard of their stuff a few months ago but really liking it! Gonna check out the other too! Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

I doubt these people who are willing to spend stupid money on tickets have been to a huge amount of electric picnics. They certainly haven't been around long enough to see the gradual stripping away and cost cutting that has been done all through the years since say 2009.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Monsieur Folie

Class, didn't even realise The Districts had been announced. Only heard of their stuff a few months ago but really liking it! Gonna check out the other too! Thanks!

Yeah they're quite good, one of my fav acts from that lower end of the main bill.
    garra wrote: »
    Will need more time to check out your other recommendations. As someone else suggested it's a great idea to just wander round and take in different acts without having any idea of what they are about. Not sure how much time i will have for that though as I will be there as crew, based in global green area

Yeah, can't recommend that enough. I remember looking for my plan at once stage last year and realising it was a few hours before another must-see act popped up on my list. Just wandered, it was awesome. Caught an act or two we hadn't planned to see, popped into the comedy tent at one stage and otherwise and just soaked up the atmosphere.

My favourite part about camping in the Oscar Wilde as well was passing through the Salty Dog stage on every journey to and from the campsite. It was a lovely place to have a few cans I must say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭Rough Sleeper

2 things:

1. Anyone who's selling tickets for €400+ is a certified cnut.
    2. Anyone who'd spend €400 on an Electric Picnic ticket, who isn't a Rothschild or an oil Sheikh, would want to have their head checked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement