Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2014 ** NO TICKET DISCUSSION ALLOWED ** see new mod note

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,006 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

bacon? wrote: »
    So I decided to youtube, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkQomq_rgK4

eh... I guess if you're on drugs it could be ok

Truly horrendous stuff!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭bacon?

Truly horrendous stuff!

They like to clap a lot :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Toast

Dutchy wrote: »
    what's so great about the tipi that it costs over twice as much? Should I just go for the tent ?

In general tipis are larger meaning you can usually stand up in one in the center part, they're less of an oven in the morning, and the novelty factor allows them to charge more too. Dunno if the models the pink moon camping people will be using will be the same but I had one from the podpad guys before and it was great.

Truly horrendous stuff!

Re: tuneyards : I'd a few paragraphs here about why I thought she was good but it boiled down to: you just don't get it man...

No one would argue she's everyone's cup of tea but I like her stuff for the qualities that make that true (NOT just because it is true).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

That sort of thing just reminds me of the emperors new clothes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭bboybaboy19

I don't know why I like them but I do.
    I can see very easily how they wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea though but I imagine they'll attract a large crowd all the same

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

I can see Foals doing really well out of the EP this year, sure they sell out the smaller venues every time they play in Ireland but I think they'll be propelled to Arcade fire/Arctic Monkeys level here in the next 2 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭PaddyPooHead

Fatfrog wrote: »
    I can see Foals doing really well out of the EP this year, sure they sell out the smaller venues every time they play in Ireland but I think they'll be propelled to Arcade fire/Arctic Monkeys level here in the next 2 years.

They've been around for quite a few years now, if they were going to get to that level I think they would have gotten there by now.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

They've been around for quite a few years now, if they were going to get to that level I think they would have gotten there by now.

Well their last album was probably their biggest commercial success especially with songs like Inhaler and My Number being played a lot more. If they can follow up to that i can see them getting bigger

Well their last album was probably their biggest commercial success especially with songs like Inhaler and My Number being played a lot more. If they can follow up to that i can see them getting bigger

Yeah maybe, but I just don't think they're sound is anthemic enough to be that big. They're great at what they do though.

You could say the same for Arctic monkeys, look at them now!

• Advertisement

You could say the same for Arctic monkeys, look at them now!

They've had 5 number one albums and headlined Glastonbury in 2007, they haven't suddenly just gotten big with AM they've been massive since their first album.

They've had 5 number one albums and headlined Glastonbury in 2007, they haven't suddenly just gotten big with AM they've been massive since their first album.

Foals being successful in Ireland is the topic!, while AM have done well in the UK charts and awards (As have Foals c/w NME and Mercury nominations) they have been around for 12 years now, their Irish domination has only been in the last 6-7 years.

My point is they're in a relatively close genre bracket to AM & will be exposed to tens of thousands who may not have seen them live, they're amazing live! Intensity and the energy top class and will be one of the talking points of the weekend! As I have already said might do extremely well afterwards.

Foals being successful in Ireland is the topic!, while AM have done well in the UK charts and awards (As have Foals c/w NME and Mercury nominations) they have been around for 12 years now, their Irish domination has only been in the last 6-7 years.

My point is they're in a relatively close genre bracket to AM & will be exposed to tens of thousands who may not have seen them live, they're amazing live! Intensity and the energy top class and will be one of the talking points of the weekend! As I have already said might do extremely well afterwards.

I guess it's possible but the thought of Foals headlining places like Marlay Park in the future just seems very outlandish to me. I'm still looking forward to them a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I don't know about you guys but I'm going to get me one of these, the bloody wasps last year were a nightmare, the electric tennis racket lol.

41wFu7RJrmL._SY300_.jpg

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

I'm just gonna smuggle in a can of RAID. Amazing stuff! No wasps around me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I'm just gonna smuggle in a can of RAID. Amazing stuff! No wasps around me :)

Just be careful after you spray as they can be their most vicious when they are dying, you might trod on one in its dying throes when you crawl into your tent and that can be an ouch, I seen that happening to a volunteer last year as they entered their tent. At least with the electric racket its a quick death, fizzz!.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

D.Q wrote: »
    Really don't understand how people can like tune yards. Just some girl awkwardly singing and playing ukulele with a loop pedal. Didn't seem to be any cohesion or sense to what she was doing. Seen a lot of love for them on my fb feed when they were announced. Each to their own and all that but hugely puzzling to me.

i don't think the new album is great. but bizness has some cracking tunes

doing some band research, holy jaysus. All over this on the sunday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭larrymiller

They are unreal

So this new (pretty hyped up) FKA Twigs album is out today, anyone listened to it yet? I love Portishead and she's been getting great reviews so this could be up my lane. I'll report back with an (initial) opinion later...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,546 ✭✭✭Duff

Dear God, I can just see my face melting to that Sunday night and my g/f not talking to me for a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭partay pooper

Duff wrote: »
    Dear God, I can just see my face melting to that Sunday night and my g/f not talking to me for a week.

That means you can run off to the rave in the woods

in all seriousness, where have they been all my life. Cant even seem to find anywhere to buy/download an album. May save some energy for sunday night haha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭larrymiller

in all seriousness, where have they been all my life. Cant even seem to find anywhere to buy/download an album. May save some energy for sunday night haha
    There from waterford/Wexford. Seen them play in Waterford a few times in the forum and once at day tripper. They play the crane lane in cork aswell

They require hours of you tubing! Bagpuss, damn you Dorothy and ipop are personal favourites!

Also when they say this about the "play till you can't" policy then you know they have a serious set planned

"Brian we have a 36 hour set planned, but if someone forces us to finish or unplugs the PA there won't be much we can do."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

Cannot wait to see Rustie. His new track with Danny Brown is insane!!

Linky - http://youtu.be/_mO2VcJAkOw

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Dowdy

I emailed the traders contact asking whether there will be wheelbarrow hire this year and received this prompt response:

"Unfortunately, they won't be there this year.
    They had a delivery of trollies due that sadly never arrived."

Which is a shame. Looks like I might have to look into one of those sack trolleys that were suggested earlier in the thread.

Just found a rucksack with wheels in a charity shop for a fiver! Score!

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Dowdy

More info: I also asked the contact if there would be phone charging facilities and she said "Yes there will be phone charging in both the late night arena and the campsite."

Was that the same craic last year? What was the story with it? Did you have to pay, were there long queues, etc.? I've read about the free Vodafone charging tent last year but this is obviously something else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

It's well worth your while picking up on of those portable battery packs for around 20-30 quid, a lifesaver at festivals.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement