Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2014 ** NO TICKET DISCUSSION ALLOWED ** see new mod note

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭larrymiller

Bowlardo wrote: »
    • Make sure you have monday and Tuesday off for recovery time
    • Make sure you have the friday off.
    • Arrive around lunchtime if you can.
    • Camp in the quiet campsite to get decent sleep. your friends will be set up one of the main campsite so for madness drop down to them.
    • Body and soul is deadly at the night time make sure to go one of the nights.
    • The rave in the woods is good craic afer the main areana has closed
    • if you have not seen chic before then go to them, Same for outkast.
    • DO NOT GIVE IT THE BIG ON FRIDAY! get to sleep at a reasonable time (before 3). many an electric picnic was ruined by people burning themselves out on the first night
    • Get a pieminster pie and there is place that does super chicken wings. You will spot these a mile away as there always a massive queue for them
    • Do not spend you whole weekend drinking in the camp site. all the fun is in inside
    Pick maybe five bands that you want to see and other than that just wander around and enjoy all the mad ****.
    if energy ireland still have mister motivator there then go for a visit...you'll be buzzing after it

Oh man I agree about the whole Friday thing!!! 2nd year I went I did the dog on it in a very ( let's say chewy face) way and I was depressed all weekend after it.
    Never again did i make that mistake

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

This is the first time I haven't been able to get the Monday off. So the plan is to take down the tent around 6pm on Sunday, put it in the car and go back to enjoy the remainder of the evening. Will drive back Sunday night.

Thankfully I did get Friday off so will get down there early.

Agree with the advice above - don't go to wild on the first night. I did in 2006 and regretted it for the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭MattD

After listening to LP1, I'm unashamedly ecstatic about having the chance to see FKA twigs at EP. Gonna be so class!

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭PaddyPooHead

MattD wrote: »
    After listening to LP1, I'm unashamedly ecstatic about having the chance to see FKA twigs at EP. Gonna be so class!

Same! It's an experience alright, like James Blake mixed with Aaliyah. A must for anyone who likes Portishead. Fair play to EP for getting people like FKA Twigs and Jungle booked early before they started to blow up because they'd cost a hell of a lot more money to book now. Same with Kaytranada who's starting to make some serious waves.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Mickolution

I've been looking at the bus tickets from Dublin and it seems to require you to pick specific times. Are these enforced at all or once I have a ticket, can I get on any bus with space? Not sure if I'm going to be coming home on Sunday or Monday. Would just paying on the bus be the best option?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭hugeglobe

Same! It's an experience alright, like James Blake mixed with Aaliyah. A must for anyone who likes Portishead. Fair play to EP for getting people like FKA Twigs and Jungle booked early before they started to blow up because they'd cost a hell of a lot more money to book now. Same with Kaytranada who's starting to make some serious waves.

Have to agree with that Kaytranada shout. Definitely one of the djs I'm most looking forward to seeing over the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭seamey beag84

When i first saw the line up, wasn't really impressed at all. Finally got around to going through the artists i didn't know last night and by jayzus my attitude changed.

Temples - psychedelic wonderfulness!
    FKA Twigs - love the vibe but will have to be in the right state of mind for it.
    Bicep - Old house grooves never fail..
    Kaytranada - Remix extraordinaire.
    Sohn - laidback funkydubbydiscohousesoulfulgrooves
    Wolf Alice - Grunge is back baby! prob my favourite newbie find.

Throw these on top of at least 20 already listed Must See acts and we have a good festival!
    There's a beautiful blue sky out as i type and were only 2 weeks away. Let the giddyness commence!

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭mgkelly

Hey everyone this will be both my first post and first EP I'm just curious about something I'll be going on my own doing the tour de picnic as my friend has dropped out (lack of fitness hitting the beer too much) however, I've been keeping with the training and raised my money so I wont drop out now.

That being said I just wanna know from you guys (basically require reassurance) will everything be grand going on my own I'm dead excited to see most of the acts in particular Beck

Thanks for reading

Hi Sir Kipling (interesting handle!)
    Catching up on Boards reading - been on holidays for a couple of weeks.
    I have always gone on my own, tho' I reckon I'm probably a lot older than you - 44 this year, but this is my 4th year, with one gap when I didn't go, so started in late 30's. Was a latecomer, and worried I'd stick out like a saddo or sore thumb etc. However, I totally enjoyed this completely. It is great on your own.
    I would have no fear. You'll enjoy.
    Good luck!

Martin

:) :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Cliona1234

I'm 17 turning 18 in December have no id or any hope of getting an id for electric picnic is it easy to get into with an id any idea of what to do

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭johnnykilo

H8GHOTI wrote: »
    This one in B&Q could be a good compromise.
    Wheels aren't as big as the other one I linked to earlier but it does fold up for easy storage.
    Definitely looks better than the one in Argos.

0000005257935_001c_v001_zp?$250x250_generic$=

I bought an almost identical one of these trolleys in Aldi (where the flap is on a lever which makes the wheels fold out) and brought it to Glastonbury. Now the ground wasn't too bad at this stage, it was still dry but the ground was fairly uneven from it being wet probably a week or 2 beforehand. The ****ing thing didn't even make it to the other side of the coach park (about 100m) before the wheel buckled and couldn't be straightened out again, meaning I'd have to drag it the whole way. In short: it's not designed for festivals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭PaddyPooHead

Cliona1234 wrote: »
    I'm 17 turning 18 in December have no id or any hope of getting an id for electric picnic is it easy to get into with an id any idea of what to do

As long as you don't look 15 you probably won't get asked for ID, probably...

As long as you don't look 15 you probably won't get asked for ID, probably...

Thank you I have a little hope x

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

H8GHOTI wrote: »
    This one in B&Q could be a good compromise.
    Wheels aren't as big as the other one I linked to earlier but it does fold up for easy storage.
    Definitely looks better than the one in Argos.

0000005257935_001c_v001_zp?$250x250_generic$=

This is for paved areas, Tarmac, concrete etc, the clearance isn't enough for gravel or thick mud, you'll end up ploughing all the way! The wheels look to be hardened plastic and will likely break off or buckle. If it's get really mucky those wheels will just get caked in mud.
    You need to consider getting something similar but with rubber tyres (Air filled if possible) tyres need to be at least 100mm/3" in diameter I reckon to make a trolley worthwhile!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

i just bring enough stuff for the Friday and then have a nice stroll to the car on Saturday morning and get the rest of my clothes and booze so I don't have to struggle carrying everything or lugging around hand trolleys ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Anyone know at what capacity does an event/venue need to have a pit/crush barrier thingy at the front in the crowd?
    I hate them!! Particularly the wrist banded ones :( Just wondering if the EP main stage is close to this? I hope the extra capacity doesn't force them to introduce one!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

don't think it's based on capacity. some of Marlay Park ones don't and they're 30,000. think it more depends on the ground/layout. EP won't have one anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭Rough Sleeper

Bowlardo wrote: »
    [*]DO NOT GIVE IT THE BIG ON FRIDAY! get to sleep at a reasonable time
    This all depends on the individual really. I've never turned in before 7am after the Friday night and it's never put a dampener on the weekend.

don't think it's based on capacity. some of Marlay Park ones don't and they're 30,000. think it more depends on the ground/layout. EP won't have one anyway.

Main stage at EP when full is what 15,000 max?

This all depends on the individual really. I've never turned in before 7am after the Friday night and it's never put a dampener on the weekend.

For me 'Hair of the dog' is key it isn't something I'd normally do. Made the mistake in the past of not doing this, nursing a hangover suffering for hours practically all day, now I know to do the most unnatural thing and force a can or two in for breakfast ;):(

Will I get in I'm 17 have no id

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭Rough Sleeper

Someone answered that like 5 minutes ago. And you responded to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

People have already responded that if you look old enough you might get away with it but nobody can give you a definitive answer cos it will depend on security on the day. We have no idea what you look like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭The Dagda

Classic case of: pics or GTFO :pac:

What kind of credible decent 17 ur old doesn't have fake ID! Young folk theses days ;) When15 I had a QUALITY Galway RTC fake ID, the photo was taken from a regular pic not a passport style one! The laminate wasn't properly stuck around the edges. It was was Sooo bad I think bouncers actually thought 'there's no way anyone would use such a shoite ID, it must be real' worked almost every where!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,270 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

What's the policy with regard to cameras? I have a DSLR camera which is fairly large (i.e. not something I can slip in my pocket on the way in). I'd love to bring it to EP with me to take some pictures of all of the amazing things happening in there. Would this be allowed or would I be turned away at the gate with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,758 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Walk in with an older group and you'll be fine..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

What's the policy with regard to cameras? I have a DSLR camera which is fairly large (i.e. not something I can slip in my pocket on the way in). I'd love to bring it to EP with me to take some pictures of all of the amazing things happening in there. Would this be allowed or would I be turned away at the gate with it?

Saw a few bodies with large cameras last year but I think the official line was that cameras with interchangable lenses are a no no, I'm just bringing a bridge camera with me (canon g11), small and pocketable.

Thing with cameras though, you spend so much time faffing with and worrying about getting a shot that you don't properly enjoy the experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

We need to start a weather watch.
    Hope this cold weather fceks off and we get one last warm sunny weekend!

Accuweather currently forecasting some showers and a chilly 15 to 17 degrees

http://www.accuweather.com/en/ie/stradbally/210204/august-weather/210204

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Anyone on the lookout for airbeds, picked up a double yesterday in Euro2 for €15

Getting close now :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

I'd say it would be a bit annoying to drag through the grass. I'd say renting one of the wheelbarrows would be more useful? That is if they'll be there this year

I brought too much last year and it was annoying carrying it all the way in, rather than bringing a quadbike im just downscaling the operating and bringing a smaller bag and getting a better spirits to cans ratio going

Got one of these about 4-5years ago - and it's the best thing I could've bought for a festival cept maybe my tent - http://www.woodiesdiy.com/Product/caddy-sack-truck/25415/4.2.11#.U_G-xeNdWqI best 50quid I ever spent, and when a few mates throw some monies on top if you're carrying in their stuff too - invaluable. Big wheels on it too, so mud, muck is not a problem.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement