Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2014 ** NO TICKET DISCUSSION ALLOWED ** see new mod note

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

srm23 wrote: »
    was there not much on friday last year?

I last went in 2011 - and stayed drinking the fri in campsite til 6pm
    before going in arena, can't remember if this was just cause there
    was nothing on until then or we just kept drinking!
    last year none of the main tent stages had any acts on Friday.

just the Main Stage, then Body&Soul, Trenchtown etc.

i'd expect the same this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Based on the fact that the people on here who have been compiling day-by-day bills have a decent sized group for the Friday, I'd be a little surprised if it was only those stages open. The last one I could find had Beck or Outkast with Foals, PSB, Omar Souleyman, Young Fathers, Blondie, Twin Shadow, Wild Beasts, the Strypes and Mogwai for Friday. I've not verified any of these myself but if that is the case, there's far too many to only have one stage open.

Say Beck to headline the main stage with Foals, Wild Beasts, Twin Shadow and the Strypes on before, kicking off at about 5pm, still need to find space for Blondie, Mogwai and PSB! And that's before other acts are added in.

Young Fathers are Body & Soul, but Tune-Yards is headlining B&S on the Friday according to the Irish Times.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

that list usually has the disclaimer that acts often just have the first day of a festival listed on their website, even if they're playing on a different day.

e: that list also has Wild Beasts, The Strypes and Mogwai possibly playing other nights, and Twin Shadow is playing on Saturday according to his fb page.
    Beck has all 3 days listed on his site....

last year the Electric Arena was supposed to have Giorgio Moroder in there before he cancelled, maybe they'll open it for 1 or 2 acts this year too, Pet Shop Boys perhaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

Anyone know where the Leave no Trace campsite was located was last year??
    Mince Pie wrote: »
    Oscar Wilde. I've posted last years map above. ;)

Thought Leave No Trace was where the Janis Joplin site is on the map below.
    Pretty sure I saw signs for it as I was heading down that direction when I arrived last year. This was the final version of the map from last year.

A5d1pyN.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

Dammit, can't find it now but it was on a map I'd seen previously in the top right hand corner of the Oscar Wilde campsite cos thats one of the reasons I want to camp there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭BadTurtle

The neck things do have stage times on them...? They'd be pretty redundant otherwise!

Just the big stages afaik, no Trenchtown, Body and Soul, the woods, Salty Dog, Jerry Fish etc. (RBMA?)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

BadTurtle wrote: »
    Just the big stages afaik, no Trenchtown, Body and Soul, the woods, Salty Dog, Jerry Fish etc. (RBMA?)

Usually when you buy a lanyard you get the EP festival programme too with more details about the smaller stages, installations along with the info in the lanyard but with short bios of the main stage acts.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Found the map with the location of the Leave no trace, was starting to go bonkers thinking I'd imagined it.

2013_large.png

Dammit, can't find it now but it was on a map I'd seen previously in the top right hand corner of the Oscar Wilde campsite cos thats one of the reasons I want to camp there.

Could be a different location this year anyway, although they don't tend to change the layout drastically.

Edit: Didn't see that map when posting this ^

Found the map with the location of the Leave no trace, was starting to go bonkers thinking I'd imagined it.

Any chance location changed after that map was released?
    lol, maybe I'm the one going bonkers :pac:
    Maybe someone who camped there will confirm.
    Ye'll find out for sure next week anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

H8GHOTI wrote: »
    Could be a different location this year anyway, although they don't tend to change the layout drastically.

I think LNT confirmed it's not going ahead this year?

From memory, you could bring cans into the main arena from 10.30 onwards.

For €15, book giglocker. really handy for storing jackets, cans etc during the day and then just pop out when it gets cold later on, and pick up a few cans too.

I'm not going this year, but if they scaled back the Friday again this year, i'd be rightly p!ssed off.

• Advertisement

They did, but there's going to be something else similar.
    http://electricpicnic.ie/sayhellotobyeecocampsiteatthepicnic

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

Wow very nice vocals! Defo worth a look!

http://youtu.be/RFe7Ya5-16w

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭gaffolino

Lads, anyone know anywhere that sells those portable mobile phone chargers, the ones you pop a few aa batteries into. Was looking around a few places today and nobody had a clue what I was on about. Dont want to spend half the picnic queing up at phone charger stalls.

gaffolino wrote: »
    Lads, anyone know anywhere that sells those portable mobile phone chargers, the ones you pop a few aa batteries into. Was looking around a few places today and nobody had a clue what I was on about. Dont want to spend half the picnic queing up at phone charger stalls.

Theres a more expensive version of this that will do around 6 charges. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Portable-External-Built-In-Flashlight-smartphones-Black/dp/B005NFOA0S

Out of curiosity, no idea what this is a charger for, would it do a phone? https://www.aldi.ie/en/specialbuys/hurry-while-stocks-last/hurry-while-stocks-last/ps/p/professional-power-bankrugged-power-bank/

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭hugeglobe

They have them on Groupon at the moment for 11 blips.

hugeglobe wrote: »
    They have them on Groupon at the moment for 11 blips.

Just had a look at that one and would only really do one charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭rebelreded

Out of curiosity, no idea what this is a charger for, would it do a phone?

Well they have USB output so I presume that they will charge a phone. You will need your own cable.

Anyone have any idea of the capacity of these and if it would be likely for them to last the weekend? The "12000 mAh" means nothing to me....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

I have the bigger anker 15,000mAH one, it will charge an iPhone about 5 times before it needs to be recharged, that's more than enough for the 3 days. There's loads of different brands for this type of stuff. Most phone batteries are 1500 to 2000mAH.

If you go for that type of thing, they are actually pretty small, like an older walkman or a portable external hard drive, that plus the cable can just be chucked in the bottom of a backpack and very little room and they weigh bugger all.

Those chargers in Aldi look good value. The 12,000 mAh one "should" give about 6 charges (realistically 4 or 5?) & it's got 3 USB ports.
    I've seen similar spec ones, priced a good bit higher.

H8GHOTI wrote: »
    Those chargers in Aldi look good value. The 12,000 mAh one "should" give about 6 charges (realistically 4 or 5?) & it's got 3 USB ports.
    I've seen similar spec ones, priced a good bit higher.

Oh good, will pop down and see if i can grab one, just didn't understand the spec.

• Advertisement

Just demand to your phone that it lasts longer or don't use it as much, just keep it for simple texts and the occasional call.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

From memory, you could bring cans into the main arena from 10.30 onwards.

For €15, book giglocker. really handy for storing jackets, cans etc during the day and then just pop out when it gets cold later on, and pick up a few cans too.

why is it handier to store cans in a locker as opposed to a tent? are the lockers closer to the main arena or whats the story?

D.Q wrote: »
    why is it handier to store cans in a locker as opposed to a tent? are the lockers closer to the main arena or whats the story?

They are in the Hendrix camp site, so yes, next to the entrance into the main arena.

I'd rather walk to the campsite than pay €15 for storage.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭partay pooper

I'd rather walk to the campsite than pay €15 for storage.
    I bring nothing of extreme value, anything of value will be on my person.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

I had stuff stolen from me a few times at Electric Picnic over the years but nothing too valuable.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭partay pooper

I had stuff stolen from me a few times at Electric Picnic over the years but nothing too valuable.
    I had my tent rifled also. they missed money and drink, made away with nothing really. My point is 15 quid is worth it of you have an expensive camera

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Bootsy.

As regards phone charging, I just switch off my phone when I don't need it. Imagine that! :pac:

I've done it for a few festivals now and it's been great, I found I was more immersed in the experience of being there, without having that constant connection to the outside world.

Whenever I needed to find someone I'd switch it on. I'd check facebook/emails etc once or twice a day, and battery lasted grand. I have a cheap €5 watch to tell the time.

I know to some people I might as well be speaking backwards Japanese as suggesting having your phone switched off 90% of the time but I'd actually recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

I had my tent rifled also. they missed money and drink, made away with nothing really. My point is 15 quid is worth it of you have an expensive camera
    There's always going to be a few bad bastards going around at every festival.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

Think this be the main thing, don't bring any thing at all of any value that you cannot have on your person at all times.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement