Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2014 ** NO TICKET DISCUSSION ALLOWED ** see new mod note

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭nmg_ire

Hopefully Donegal v Dublin will be on this year if they showed that game last year

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Bootsy.

Anyone know if there's an area they show the football? Wouldn't mind catching the early kick off on Saturday with a breakfast roll and a coffee

They don't show any sport at the actual festival anymore. They used to show GAA years ago.

Plenty of pubs in Stradbally, 20mins walk from campsites, they all show sport.

I used to head in for the All-Ireland hurling finals for a lot of the years. I'm not even into sport but I'm from Kilkenny so half the Kilkenny folks at the Picnic would be there! It was always good craic, pubs fairly packed though, but really nice to have some proper nice creamy pints after days of warm cans :)

Also handy for stocking up on whatever you need in SuperValu.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Bootsy. wrote: »
    They don't show any sport at the actual festival anymore. They used to show GAA years ago.

They did show the GAA last year in the irish language tent in mindfield last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭beansybeansy

I have to see the donegal match as my father is not speaking to me since I wont pop back up to Dublin for the game. He does not seem to appreciate I will be no state to be seen in public with "civilians"

However, trip to the pub, proper seats, flush loos, pint in a glass and eating off real plates with knife and fork will be cetainly on he cards

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭gaffolino

Bootsy. wrote: »
    As regards phone charging, I just switch off my phone when I don't need it. Imagine that! :pac:

I've done it for a few festivals now and it's been great, I found I was more immersed in the experience of being there, without having that constant connection to the outside world.

Whenever I needed to find someone I'd switch it on. I'd check facebook/emails etc once or twice a day, and battery lasted grand. I have a cheap €5 watch to tell the time.

I know to some people I might as well be speaking backwards Japanese as suggesting having your phone switched off 90% of the time but I'd actually recommend it.

Unfortunately bootsy ive a very ill relative at home and need my phone in 24-7 . Lasy year I switched off everything and got weekend out of it. Cant this year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭gaffolino

mejulie805 wrote: »
    Yeah they had some in the Centra for €20/€25 last year..

Neay swore that the one I bought in the centra for 25 bips was my exact same chair the year before. Cowboys ted

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭BadTurtle

Anyone in Cork looking for portable phone chargers, the big discount shop on North Main Street has €10 ones tucked away in its tech aisle, should do for slightly less than two full charges, more if you stick in airplane mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

maximoose wrote: »
    Looking online at the supermarkets best prices I can see really are:

Tesco
    Stella - 24 x 500ml - €26 (Singles)
    Carling - 24 x 500ml - €24 (Singles)
    Grolsch - 24 x 500ml - €32 (Singles)
    Molson Canadian - 24 x 500ml - €32 (Singles)
    San Miguel - 24 x 500ml - €32 (Singles)

Supervalu
    Heineken - 24 x 500ml - €30 (2x Box of 12, looks to only be valid til tomorrow)

Aldi
    Galahad - 24 x 500ml - €20 (2x packs of 12)
    St Etienne - 24 x 500ml - €25 (2x packs of 12)

Can't see many case prices. Usually chuck them all into an Ikea bag so don't mind singles myself.

No idea what those Aldi beers are like..

Might pop into Aldi/Lidl on the way home to see if they've any deals.

Are the Aldi ones not bottles? Has to be cans only doesn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Nah both cans, saw them here!

Add Lowenstein to that - 24 x 500ml cans for €25 also.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭Rfrip

BadTurtle wrote: »
    Anyone in Cork looking for portable phone chargers, the big discount shop on North Main Street has €10 ones tucked away in its tech aisle, should do for slightly less than two full charges, more if you stick in airplane mode.

Bless you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭beansybeansy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

aye, always pays to be insulated. Even with good weather it can get quite cool at night anyway when it drops from about 17-7 degrees in a couple of hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭freddiemoore

Galahad is a minging drink to start off from but goes down easy at the end of the night. Don't think ya need to bother ordering the cans either from the on-site offie, can just use it like a normal one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭fafy

Sheog wrote: »
    I picked up a nifty portable multi device charger in Aldi at the weekend for €20 which holds about 12 charges. A friend of mine had one at Glastonbury and it turned out to be a life saver!

I also got one of these today for €20 in Aldi, they are the "Rugged" ones, so they are water resistant, and have a handy LED torch onboard also. Did a test charge today, and it was reasonably quick. Yeah, it's best to try and stay away from your phone, but if theres something really good you want to video, it flaas the battery, so better to have one of these to hand.

In the Aldi I went to, these were in a locked cabinet, along with other electronic items.

They have two USB port outputs, so one could share one with a friend and charge two mobiles at the same time.

yes, crazy expensive but like convenience stores you pay a premium for the convenience. If you are stuck you can always just pack for the first night then take a nice short walk into the village and pick up some more cans for the next night etc.

Another major advantage of this service, is yes they are expensive, buy you don't pay a cent, until you actually collect them, if you have enough and don't collect it, you don't have to pay anything, it's just an e-mail address and mobile number to order, no credit card required.

You can also collect them any day from 12 noon.

Plus, they are chilled, so you could place 3 seperate orders, and collect a batch each day. The people who bring 5 slabs a man to E.P. are going to be drinking warm beer for the whole weekend.

Stradbally is not that far away, but could not be bothered to walk for over an hour, weighed down by a slab of beer, coming back exhausted, when I could be enjoying the Picnic.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Theinsideman

whats the URL for ordering online... I cant find it anywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭Rfrip

For any newbies out there it gets Baltic at night at ep. Thermals post 8pm and warm fleeces for bed time and ur all set

Hat is a must

Actually did I just state the obvious there!!!

I can't post links due to being newish user, but go into Electric Picnic website

-> Festival Info (near the top_
    ->Alcohol
    ->Online Off Licence

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Theinsideman

got it thx

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

Where on site was the off licence located last year?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭murdog!

Where on site was the off licence located last year?

Beside the londis in Hendrix i think

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

There was a londis?

I really must walk around more this year outside the arena

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭partay pooper

http://electricpicnic.ie/onlineofflicence12 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

How handy is it to get a taxi into stradbally to grab beer? Or are there any shuttle buses?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭larrymiller

D.Q wrote: »
    How handy is it to get a taxi into stradbally to grab beer? Or are there any shuttle buses?

Walk ya lazy yoke

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

However, trip to the pub, proper seats, flush loos, pint in a glass and eating off real plates with knife and fork will be cetainly on he cards

"You havvin a geraffufh" Beansy not sure how many pubs there are but certainly the one I went to last year wasn't fit for purpose! It was so bad that I actually said "feck it sure, I'll just go back to the EP and take a ****e in a portaloo"
    Piss everywhere, seat broken, no bog roll, the door lock was broken, you could see through the door cause there were parts broken off!! And that was just the ladies ;)
    I did try! but between holding the door closed with one hand, super hovering over a high mount toilet (wearing wellies, so the jeans wouldn't go down fully) balancing so the tip of my mickey didn't touch the HIV-Ebola laden toilet bowl, all that with part of the queue practically watching me was too much!! Had to abandon! But hey second world problems!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭larrymiller

Will the hot tubs be back?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea

Hate the way everything is left to the last week regarding times and what's available! :/
    Very excited, keep getting cramps when I think about the divilment ahead! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭BadTurtle

I want to see: Rustie, Beck, OutKast, Temples, St Vincent, Kelis, Foals, Portishead, Flume, Chic, Joy Orbison, Tune Yards, SOHN, Mogwai, SBTRKT, Slowdive, Dark Sky, FKA Twigs, Blondie Dorian Concept, Boddika, Young Fathers, Kaytranada, Jungle, Duke Dumont, Vancouver Sleep Clinic, Le Galaxie, Bicep, James Murphy, Bombay Bicycle Club, **** Robot, Metronomy, Cathy Davey, John Wizards, The Horrors, Krystal Klear.
    Hope there aren't any clashes. :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

fafy wrote: »
    Yeah, it's best to try and stay away from your phone, but if theres something really good you want to video, it flaas the battery, so better to have one of these to hand.

Videoing at gigs. Right up there with the acoustic guitar in the campsite.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement