Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2014 ** NO TICKET DISCUSSION ALLOWED ** see new mod note

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,546 ✭✭✭Duff

Lenny5 wrote: »
    The last couple of times at EP I had a staff pass and parked the car in the staff parking lot. Was only a 10, 15 min walk into the stages. I didn't bother with a tent and just slept in the relative comfort of my car. Seat back, sleeping bag, charge phone in the morning, all good! No wind and rain worries and was nice to have any valuables stored safely.

Alas no staff ticket this year so am wondering if the sleeping in car option is still an option or is the public car park too far away?

Depending on the carpark, it's about a 25 minute walk. The car is always my plan B if my tent decides to go tits up.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,006 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Lads, footwear recommendation for weekend camping?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Lads, footwear recommendation for weekend camping?

A brand new pair of white Converse.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

pmalone wrote: »
    In fairness to EP, the stage times are usually released about 3 days before. Last year it was definitely available early in the week leading up to the festival. Check the dates on the clashfinder if you don't believe me.

Have patience and you will be rewarded.
    no, they weren't.

the times for the main stages were only released on the Thursday evening (and only to media outlets/blogs) and added to Clashfinder after that.

the times for other stages were put together piece by piece from various facebook posts or the groups running the stages putting theirs up, several of them only on the Thursday too.

the Clashfinder updates show that the vast majority were done on the Thursday.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭dixiechick88

I would think the late Saturday night dance act will be either flume or Annie mac? Both absolutely awesome in my opinion! Anyone else any thoughts?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Boom, we’re back with another Banter announcement. I know, you wait four months and then two come along at once.
    After various adventures over the last two years in Derry, Dingle and London, Banter is delighted to join Other Voices as they head into the woods at Stradbally Hall on their first ever visit to Co Laois and the Electric Picnic. It’s our third year in a row at the Picnic and, after two years availing of the very kind hospitality of Naoise Nunn and his team at Mindfield, we head off for some adventures in the woods with Other Voices.
    Yesterday, OV announced that Mirel Wagner (the Finnish singer with the mighty new album “When the Cellar Children See the Light Of Day” ), Tiny Ruins and Silences would be joining them in the woods. Today, it’s the turn of the Bantering classes to say hello.
    On Saturday afternoon (4pm, Other Voices tent), Melvin Benn (Festival Republic) and Philip King (Other Voices) will join me to talk about the yin and yang of the modern festival. We’ll look at the long-term history of these musical feasts, how festivals have changed over the past decade or so, the new eclecticism which reigns at the better events, the differences in festival culture between countries and the future for these events.
    A talk about festivals at a festival within a festival – prepare for the most meta hour of your weekend. There will also be a very special musical guest too who we can’t tell you about quite yet but, trust us, it will be worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

I would think the late Saturday night dance act will be either flume or Annie mac? Both absolutely awesome in my opinion! Anyone else any thoughts?
    in the past it's generally been live acts playing their own stuff.

Annie Mac is a DJ and has nothing of her own.

Flume, possibly, but i think he's too small/unknown really.

my money would be on Chic, or else just no Saturday dance act.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭oxygen

Any experience/tips on sneaking spirits into the main area? It will be a long w.e. if in depending on trips to the bar at 5.something a drink...

BaZmO* wrote: »
    A brand new pair of white Converse.

Ehh, I don't get it....

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭dixiechick88

in the past it's generally been live acts playing their own stuff.

Annie Mac is a DJ and has nothing of her own.

Flume, possibly, but i think he's too small/unknown really.

my money would be on Chic, or else just no Saturday dance act.

Good point! Im loving flume at the moment, he seems to be a good upcoming DJ! Chic are defo top of my list. wish they would announce the timetable, I remember the panic last year over it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭partay pooper

Any experience/tips on sneaking spirits into the main area? It will be a long w.e. if in depending on trips to the bar at 5.something a drink...
    freezer or sandwich bags but good quilty with strong ziploc. can be put on your person or in side pockets of bags. I managed to get two 35cl of vodka thru. once thru decant into plastic water bottle etc. I usually use them to strengthen up the bacardi cocktails.

P.s. Don't over fill The Bags

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭Rough Sleeper

Ehh, I don't get it....
    Music festivals are held in fields. At a music festival like EP, which has tens of thousands of attendees, these fields get cut up by heavy footfall and thus can end up very mucky if there's been even a moderate amount of precipitation. This muck would adhere to the material of the new white Converse runners and effectively ruin their aesthetic value. Thus, a pair of new white runners would be an absurd choice for a music festival in Ireland, and the absurdity of Bazmo's statement is the feature from which the humour is derived.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

no, they weren't.

the times for the main stages were only released on the Thursday evening (and only to media outlets/blogs) and added to Clashfinder after that.

the times for other stages were put together piece by piece from various facebook posts or the groups running the stages putting theirs up, several of them only on the Thursday too.

I just had a look at last years thread. The times for the main stage came out on the Monday, B & S on Tuesday and the other main tents on the Wednesday. Clashfinder wasn't completely accurate by Thursday but not far off.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

Music festivals are held in fields. At a music festival like EP, which has tens of thousands of attendees, these fields get cut up by heavy footfall and thus can end up very mucky if there's been even a moderate amount of precipitation. This muck would adhere to the material of the new white Converse runners and effectively ruin their aesthetic value. Thus, a pair of new white runners would be an absurd choice for a music festival in Ireland, and the absurdity of Bazmo's statement is the feature from which the humour is derived.

To add to the field bit, the portaloos some times "overflow" with their hidden delights, saw some poor bastard last year in converse wander straight into a bit of ground beside the loos that could be best described as "mushy and bubbly with deep fresh wee goodness"

1 - Wear waterproof shoes at night, you don't know what's there
    2 - Wear a headlamp when going to the loo, see point 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Dowdy

freezer or sandwich bags but good quilty with strong ziploc. can be put on your person or in side pockets of bags. I managed to get two 35cl of vodka thru. once thru decant into plastic water bottle etc. I usually use them to strengthen up the bacardi cocktails.

P.s. Don't over fill The Bags

Good idea there. Also, those strong freezer bags can be used as pissbags for the tent. And those filled warm pissbags can double as both pillows and hot water bottles. Reduce, reuse, recycle.

P.s. Don't over fill the pissbags.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

Any other festival I've been to releases the day by day breakdown months in advance. Electric Picnic never do. Why? I have no idea. They obviously know which bands are playing on which days. Ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

:pac:

And yet many many people will still be kitted out in their new white Cons!

Snarky Snark Snark

Any other festival I've been to releases the day by day breakdown months in advance. Electric Picnic never do. Why? I have no idea. They obviously know which bands are playing on which days. Ridiculous.

Lanyards and programmes at a tenner a pop, that is why.

Dowdy wrote: »
    Good idea there. Also, those strong freezer bags can be used as pissbags for the tent. And those filled warm pissbags can double as both pillows and hot water bottles. Reduce, reuse, recycle.

you can do what you like! I'll pass on the whole piss thing tho, and use the portaloos or trees.

Hence why I asked for a recommendation, not shoes that will get ruined!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
    Snarky Snark Snark

I can recommend hi-tec waterproof walking boots, it's what I wore last year and doing same this year. Not the most fashionable (esp with my tastes in shorts) but bloody comfortable especially at the end of the day when you've been wandering around for 12-14 hours

Get a decent pair of wellies if you have the cash Hunters, I'll bring wellies and two pairs of old trainers. tons of socks the big thick heavy soled ones

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Dowdy

you can do what you like! I'll pass on the whole piss thing tho, and use the portaloos or trees.

Boring. Enjoy your cold, hard pillows while I bask in my own warmth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭pmalone

no, they weren't.

According to a post just above, it seems that we were both a little right and a little wrong.

WHat I am trying to say really is that every year people panic not seeing the stage times and every year they are available in time.

I think it was year 2 when there was a meltdown on the EP website forum about this issue and one of the organisers (Claire?) came on and calmed everyone down and assured everyone that stage times would be available in time and ever since they have been made available at least 24 hours before the event IIRC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

Lanyards and programmes at a tenner a pop, that is why.

that explains no times. It doesn't explain the lack of a day breakdown.

Dowdy wrote: »
    Boring. Enjoy your cold, hard pillows while I bask in my own warmth.

Listen I don't want to wake up smelling like I spent the night with R.kelly :pac:

I can recommend hi-tec waterproof walking boots, it's what I wore last year and doing same this year. Not the most fashionable (esp with my tastes in shorts) but bloody comfortable especially at the end of the day when you've been wandering around for 12-14 hours

I totally recommend this. Also good fresh hiking socks every day will ensure that your feet feel reasonably ok at the end of each day. A little pricey but really worth it.

You cant really dance in wellies.. even Hunters.

pmalone wrote: »
    I totally recommend this. Also good fresh hiking socks every day will ensure that your feet feel reasonably ok at the end of each day. A little pricey but really worth it.

You cant really dance in wellies.. even Hunters.

But you'll look cool ..cool like me https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPJXdUClyWU

But you'll look cool ..cool like me https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPJXdUClyWU

fair point ;)

• Advertisement
    Snarky Snark Snark

that explains no times. It doesn't explain the lack of a day breakdown.

Have mine from last year hanging in bedroom, pretty sure it had everything on it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement