Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2014 ** NO TICKET DISCUSSION ALLOWED ** see new mod note

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

Lads, footwear recommendation for weekend camping?

In soles for the wellies are a must!!

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭beansybeansy

Fatfrog wrote: »
    Forget the weather my new fear is this feckin ash cloud coming back and preventing artists from travelling!! :(

Well thats a happy thought to spread! now I have the fear too:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭AlanDeGenerous

What's with all the Pink Panther sh*t for sneaking stuff into the arena?! I always just stick spirits in my hood and walk through, never had a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,755 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

What's with all the Pink Panther sh*t for sneaking stuff into the arena?! I always just stick spirits in my hood and walk through, never had a problem.

Surely a hipflask down the y-fronts would work... with the added bonus no one would want to share ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

Forget the weather my new fear is this feckin ash cloud coming back and preventing artists from travelling!! :(

Sorry wut????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

Will the hot tubs be back?

Hopefully so. That was bliss last year. We had it booked for about 6 on Sunday. It energised us enough that we managed the end of festival, and we were exhausted by that stage.
    I can recommend hi-tec waterproof walking boots, it's what I wore last year and doing same this year. Not the most fashionable (esp with my tastes in shorts) but bloody comfortable especially at the end of the day when you've been wandering around for 12-14 hours

The walking boots killed me year before last when I wore them all day. I'd be inclined to go for trainers during day when you can see and then change
    to walking boots or wellingtons as it gets dark - obviously weather and mud permitting.

dmm82 wrote: »
    thinking of bringing a gazebo this year as the weather not looking good... anyone know if they're allowed? I cant remember and cant seem to find anything on it

No problem with gazebos. You will have to get into Jimi Hendrix early to get room to put it up. Saw a few of them in Oscar Wilde - great space for them. Saw the security sitting in one about 5/6am having a funny cigarette last year.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

everlast75 wrote: »
    Surely a hipflask down the y-fronts would work... with the added bonus no one would want to share ;)

Thats what i did last year . Had a bottle of coke with spirits and mixer down there and sailed in :)

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭partay pooper

The air traffic guidelines have changed, so the distruption if any will not be as big as the last eruption in Iceland http://www.slate.com/blogs/future_tense/2014/08/19/iceland_volcano_bardarbunga_how_bad_would_an_eruption_be.html

Mince Pie wrote: »
    Sorry wut????

Iceland have given a warning that one of their volcanoes is close to erupting. If it does it will obviously affect the airline industry again.

Poster above is worried that if volcano erupts then artists won't be able to fly in for EP.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

Queen-Mise wrote: »
    Iceland have given a warning that one of their volcanoes is close to erupting. If it does it will obviously affect the airline industry again.

Poster above is worried that if volcano erupts then artists won't be able to fly in for EP.

Aye, just checked BBC news! Jaysis and my biggest worry up to now was the rain.

• Advertisement

Mince Pie wrote: »
    Aye, just checked BBC news! Jaysis and my biggest worry up to now was the rain.

If we know in advance then a lot people and stuff can come via ferry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭larrymiller

If we know in advance then a lot people and stuff can come via ferry.

At this stage id be happy just drinking can in a field

Hopefully so. That was bliss last year. We had it booked for about 6 on Sunday. It energised us enough that we managed the end of festival, and we were exhausted by that stage.

The walking boots killed me year before last when I wore them all day. I'd be inclined to go for trainers during day when you can see and then change
    to walking boots or wellingtons as it gets dark - obviously weather and mud permitting.

No problem with gazebos. You will have to get into Jimi Hendrix early to get room to put it up. Saw a few of them in Oscar Wilde - great space for them. Saw the security sitting in one about 5/6am having a funny cigarette last year.

How do the tubs work? Pre book? How much?

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭freddiemoore

rebelreded wrote: »
    People..........CHILL..........
    Last year, things were all over the shop, Festival Rep and POD were in court battles and we didn't even know if there would be an EP until pretty late in the day.

I agree with this. Same reason I think the scaled back Friday was a last year only thing and not going to be the norm from now on. Hope so anyways!

I think it is 40 or 50 euro per hour for the hot tub. So the more people that are in it the cheaper it is. And it has to be pre-booked. So wander over on the Friday, the hot tubs are in the Body & Soul, and get booked in for some point over the weekend. I think it would be really civilised at night.

Peterd66 wrote: »
    Folks,
    The bar closing times seem to have been extended. From EP site

"As per previous years whilst the bars onsite are open no drink or alcohol can be brought into the arena, with the exception of sealed soft drinks bottles (up to 500ml). Once the bars are closed up to 4 cans of beer/cider per person or soft drinks bottles (up to 500ml) are permitted to be brought into the arena (Bars scheduled to close at midnight on Friday and Sunday and 1am on Saturday)"

B*llox to that.

How did they get a licence for so late? PITA having to pay €5.50 min. on drink.

Not to mention the poor bar staff! I worked one year, shift was 11-11. Hate to be the supervisor on 10am-2am!

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭Rough Sleeper

There's probably as much chance of me using the hot tubs as spending the evening in Mindfield after a clap-along at Paulo Nutini, but out of interest: do they make you walk through showers or anything before you hop in the water? The though of immersing myself in a bath of sweaty mud water and three-day-old ball juice is kinda icky.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭paulbok

Does anyone know if there is any sort of cloakroom or lockup service at EP?
    Have a vague recollection of seeing something last year, possibly near the carnival (is that back too?).
    Not camping so would like somewhere to keep a jacket or fleece for the night time.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭partay pooper

paulbok wrote: »
    Does anyone know if there is any sort of cloakroom or lockup service at EP?
    Have a vague recollection of seeing something last year, possibly near the carnival (is that back too?).
    Not camping so would like somewhere to keep a jacket or fleece for the night time.

https://www.facebook.com/giglocker/info

https://secure.tickets.ie/Listing/EventInformation/20339/giglocker-electric-picnic-stradbally-29-August-2014

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭oxygen

B*llox to that.

How did they get a licence for so late? PITA having to pay €5.50 min. on drink.

Not to mention the poor bar staff! I worked one year, shift was 11-11. Hate to be the supervisor on 10am-2am!

You might be the only person on boards unhappy with a bar extension

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭BadTurtle

Saw a dodgy looking couple riding in one of the hot tubs in 2011 FYI.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭OwlsZat

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭BadTurtle

Definitely not. Most people were delighted when the bar closed at 10, meant you could bring a few cans in instead of over-paying for their watered down stuff. Now you'll have to wait until after 12 at the earliest to bring in cans without hassle.

BadTurtle wrote: »

Might book the first slot ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,222 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I had a gander in there last year and saw some aul wans arse staring back at me, horrific.

The bar extension is a pain alright but there have been multiple methods of drink smuggling outlined in this thread. Or just get hammered in the campsite and then go into the arena.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

:confused: Doubt it. Bar extension means more time paying €5.50 for a pint instead of bringing in your token 4 cans into the arena.

I never got the appeal of the hot tubs. Full of other peoples filth and god knows what, let alone the fact that I wouldnt want RTE to catch me in all my pasty glory. Sure the mammy would have a fit if I were caught on national telly practically in the nip (well bikini at any rate)!

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭oxygen

Definitely not. Most people were delighted when the bar closed at 10, meant you could bring a few cans in instead of over-paying for their watered down stuff. Now you'll have to wait until after 12 at the earliest to bring in cans without hassle.

Ah ok, your definitely not then, I'm with you

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Dowdy

This has just recently been added to the festival info on the website: http://electricpicnic.ie/volt

Recharging service thing. €22.50 rental for the weekend, pick up the charger yoke and charge as you like, and you can swap the charger once per day for a fresh one.

• Advertisement

MadYaker wrote: »
    I had a gander in there last year and saw some aul wans arse staring back at me, horrific.

The bar extension is a pain alright but there have been multiple methods of drink smuggling outlined in this thread. Or just get hammered in the campsite and then go into the arena.

last year I had a plastic Jameson naggin bottle shoved down the back of my leggings with a dress covering it. got groped - not searched - by some security bloke. I just roared at him to get his hands out my pants and due to his resulting shame let me dander on in. A tactic I may employ again this year....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement