Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2014 ** NO TICKET DISCUSSION ALLOWED ** see new mod note

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

Terry Wogan, a gramophone, a stack of 78s and a stripper pole with two bags of glitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Theinsideman

Agree on that , I was there too . Even when my friend and i were bringing stuff back to the car to pack up on Sunday evening they were even checking our bags/sleeping bags etc when we were leaving the site

I heard there might be sniffer dogs this year... not sure how accurite that is though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 cornybread

Ohhhhh did he say when???

only caught the tale end of it but just said today fm listeners will be the first too know.....

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Dominya

Something about it on their FB page (Today FM). Can't post a link cause I've not got the post count.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,222 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I heard there might be sniffer dogs this year... not sure how accurite that is though.

There were sniffer dogs at the entrance I used last year. I saw them with my own 2 eyes. They didn't go near my bags but I had nothing illegal so I didn't care either way. This was on the friday afternoon when I was coming in from the carpark. I didn't see them again after that.

They will pat you down and search any bags when you're going from the campsite to the main arena. It was very hard to get a can past them but ziploc bags or the capri sun bags down your jocks should be ok.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

Seems very heavy handed.

Regardless, the deal with the bars opening late is ridiculous. I always look forward to bringing in a few cans after ten and checking in on different tents. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

Do You reckon caprisun or similar pouches down wellies will work?

only caught the tale end of it but just said today fm listeners will be the first too know.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭pmalone

I suspect that it probably means that by accepting their terms and conditions to attend an event on private property organised by them that they can do what the hell they like.

I'm pretty sure not. That's not usually how human rights / the law work.

Usually (always I think) you are asked "may I search your bag?". If you respond in the negative (which is your right) then you may be refused entry (which is their right). By responding in the positive, you give (explicit?) consent for a search to be performed.. It's just not clear to me what a "search that is permissible by law" means. Just because you give consent does not mean that they can do what they like, they still are constrained by the law, always.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,793 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

MadYaker wrote: »
    There were sniffer dogs at the entrance I used last year. I saw them with my own 2 eyes. They didn't go near my bags but I had nothing illegal so I didn't care either way. This was on the friday afternoon when I was coming in from the carpark. I didn't see them again after that.

They will pat you down and search any bags when you're going from the campsite to the main arena. It was very hard to get a can past them but ziploc bags or the capri sun bags down your jocks should be ok.

Out of curiosity, was that gardai with the sniffer dogs? Or the private security?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,222 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Mince Pie wrote: »
    Do You reckon caprisun or similar pouches down wellies will work?

Maybe, a can down wellies definitely won't work, they checked peoples wellies and socks last year.
    Eod100 wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, was that gardai with the sniffer dogs? Or the private security?

It was gardai. Gardai were a common enough sight in the arena, but I don't recall seeing any in the campsite. I remember one afternoon me and a few mates were sat in trenchtown and the smell of weed was thick in the air, 2 gardai walked through but didn't do anything, just kept walking. I would urge caution though, look up the statistics for how many people got done for minor drug possession at EP last year, it was a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭beansybeansy

cornybread wrote: »

Maybe Aphex twin? :eek:

Has a new album out on September 23rd. I live in hope.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭BadTurtle

Maybe Aphex twin? :eek:

Has a new album out on September 23rd. I live in hope.....

I'd be surprised if he registered on their radar as a big DJ. Or even a recognisable name. It's not like Today FM would ever play him.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭beansybeansy

BadTurtle wrote: »
    I'd be surprised if he registered on their radar as a big DJ. Or even a recognisable name. It's not like Today FM would ever play him.

Very true, better not be some sh1te like Calvin Harris then....:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭pmalone

BadTurtle wrote: »

Probably Fat Boy Slim so ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,286 ✭✭✭-=al=-

Those clip on squishy bottles work very well also hip flasks are good too

Usually I hit the spirits in the main arena since it saves on peeing and you can just get a soft drink and tip your own drink of choice into it and everything's a-ok

I didn't get checked going into the main arena a large portion of the time last year

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭Rough Sleeper

They've had sniffer dogs there the last 2 years from Friday morning to Friday afternoon. I don't think they actually do anything and in any case they're gone by Friday night and don't return for the rest of the festival. In my experience there's a lot of huffing and puffing earlier on on Friday but everything gets increasingly lax as the weekend goes on. Might up it again for the day trippers though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,793 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Maybe, a can down wellies definitely won't work, they checked peoples wellies and socks last year.

It was gardai. Gardai were a common enough sight in the arena, but I don't recall seeing any in the campsite. I remember one afternoon me and a few mates were sat in trenchtown and the smell of weed was thick in the air, 2 gardai walked through but didn't do anything, just kept walking. I would urge caution though, look up the statistics for how many people got done for minor drug possession at EP last year, it was a lot.

Don't partake myself, was just curious as thought it'd be unusual if it was private security.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭garrkell

Dominya wrote: »
    Something about it on their FB page (Today FM). Can't post a link cause I've not got the post count.

there is nothing about any dj on their facebook page......:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

if there is an act to be added for the Saturday night then it is going to be Basement Jaxx.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Bootsy.

Le Galaxie will be taking over Electric Picnic's Facebook page next Monday at 9pm and will be answering everyone's questions. That should be interesting!

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭nmg_ire

He said an international super star dj will be announced on his show tomorrow from 3pm. The way he sounded was like it's a very well known dj.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭BadTurtle

DJ Mark McCabe

Yeah yeah funky yeah

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

I would urge caution though, look up the statistics for how many people got done for minor drug possession at EP last year, it was a lot.

Think it was in the region of two hundred or so. Odds of about 175/1 haha

The dogs are there, mostly for show. More to scope out anyone reacting to the dogs really. If the dogs were actually there to do a proper job and sniff everyone's bags then I'd imagine the number would be far greater than 200.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

My band Whistle has been invited back to play this year, delighted with this. Sunday night 6:30 in Jimmie Lees Juke Joint.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Monsieur Folie

Well I got the last 12000 mah in the aldi in Kildare town yesterday but they still had the 7000 mah rugged one which is dust and splash proof. Same price as well at 20 snots. I'm sure other stores will still have them though.

Managed to grab one in my local aldi, the 12,000 mah one and all, thanks for the tip! Seems to be great value if it does the job. If I'm not mistaken my phone's battery comes in around 1,500 mah and will only need to be charged once a night so this is more than enough to get me by!

Last year I rationed the battery but it will be nice to be able to take a few photos this year without having to worry about my phone dying. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Someone from this list perhaps?

http://www.southwestfour.com/2014-line-up

I still think it might Laurent Garnier

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Just listening to Matt Cooper and he's interviewing The Minutes and they said that they are playing at 11pm on Sunday and they clash with Outkast.

• Advertisement

Gaspode wrote: »
    My band Whistle has been invited back to play this year, delighted with this. Sunday night 6:30 in Jimmie Lees Juke Joint.

best of luck. hopefully i get to stop by. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement