Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2014 ** NO TICKET DISCUSSION ALLOWED ** see new mod note

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭catch--22

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭BadTurtle

Catmologen wrote: »
    Lol, I was there, trust me :)

Yes very trustworthy so far, saying Pet Shop Boys are headlining this year, that one of the headliners in 2010 was in a tent, despite this being wrong.

Lol, I was there, trust me :)

Honestly, who cares?

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Tree Scape

There isn't designate quiet camping anymore afaik. Your best bet is head to the back of Oscar Wilde, that's the quietest spot.
    OK thanks, I thought there still was one area designated Quiet.
    No worries, if we can't exchange for FCamping will do an up and down with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Catmologen

Honestly, who cares?

One person seems to, I certainly dont :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Pet shop boys 06'
    Too many other examples to mention. Start with 2004,2006,2007,2010.
    Pet Shop Boys aren't headliners.

none of this years headliners played in 2004, 2006, 2007 or 2010 either, so i'm not sure what you're referring to.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

I was hoping Mother DJs might close out one of the Body & Soul stages again this year, think they closed the Earthship stage last Sunday and it was brilliant, they're playing on the Casa Bacardi stage during the day on Sunday so hopefully they're on standby that night in case of any late changes!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

One person seems to, I certainly dont :)

Can't say I care that much, but you're mistaken. Headliners have always played the main stage - for better or worse.

And given how Portishead killed at a Glastonbury last year, it's safe to say they can cope with a outdoor stage (assuming the wind doesn't scupper them, and everyone else outdoors).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭BadTurtle

If Beck is on before OutKast on Sunday, and St. Vincent is on that night too, presumably she will be on before Mogwai on the Electric Arena stage. Which is ****e. Friday and Saturday will look very bare in comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

Can we give the circle jerk I know something you don't a rest please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Dowdy

Pet shop boys 06'
    Too many other examples to mention. Start with 2004,2006,2007,2010.

Haha, 2004 yeah? There was only one headliner for god's sake.

Troll or idiot? Either way, I'm not wasting any more time with this daft argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭partay pooper

Folks aldi Spirits? recommendations and warning??

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭beansybeansy

Dowdy wrote: »

Troll or idiot? Either way, I'm not wasting any more time with this daft argument.

Well said! just remember main stage does not automatically equal amazing gig. Pretty much all the best sets Ive ever seen were in the tents over the years. In fact, alot of main stage stuff can be quite disappointing.

alastair wrote: »
    Can't say I care that much, but you're mistaken. Headliners have always played the main stage - for better or worse.

And given how Portishead killed at a Glastonbury last year, it's safe to say they can cope with a outdoor stage (assuming the wind doesn't scupper them, and everyone else outdoors).

Beastie boys and Kraftwerk didn't play main stage. There are loads more examples over the years. Seems a more prominent thing in recent years but that doesn't mean its ALWAYS been like that.

That was a typo, should have been 05 - Kraftwerk.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

goway an ****e ye feckers ruinin de chat wit yer arguments

*ahem*

Now back to being excited about picnic! I ordered one of those portable chargers the other day and the delivery date is either the thursday or the friday.. of picnic! Hopefully it comes on the thursday so I can actually use it.

I'm going to have to start training myself for the weekend. Staying up a few minutes later each night and practising springing out of bed so I don't melt in the 300 degree morning tent heat. Also going to do a series of speed wellies removal exercises so that I can be a bit more efficient in general over the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

Picked up the simplest yet bestest ever tip for taking off wellies and going to share it.
    Get a binliner, step into it and take wellies off with your hands. Wellies stay in said liner and don't get mud (hopefully there will be none) everywhere!

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭Rough Sleeper

Subtle? Downtempo? Field?

Did you see their set from Glastonbury last year? That was at an outdoor stage and they were absolutely savage. Much of it was downtempo but intense as hell (I can only imagine how spinetingling it would be in person), but there were a few killer tracks too that rocked the **** out of it, like Machine Gun, featuring a giant evil Tony Blair with lasers shooting from his eyes over the crowd, and their extended closer, We Carry On:
    Most of Portishead's music is subtle and understated. Most of Portishead's music is downtempo. Electric Picnic is held in a field, or rather a collection of fields.

I saw their set at Glastonbury. On the telly. Glastonbury main stage is made for television; when you're in your sitting room you have a panoramic view of the stage and crowd rather than being half a kilometer back with a wind whipping the sound all over the place. On a personal level, when I've been partying all day I'm inevitably in the mood of something more upbeat late at night, and when the time comes around the prospect of swaying slowly along to some admittedly tasty music rarely captivates me. There's a time and a place I'd like to see Portishead and that isn't standing in the cold at 12am when i'm drunk and high. I'm sure plenty of people will enjoy it and I wish them the best of luck.

As a bit of an aside, one thing I don't like about large festivals is the way they always operate on a set template: bigger acts on later and on the main stage. At smaller ones they often seem to try to put acts on at a time and place that suits them best. Ricardo Villalobos was the biggest act on the bill at Life 2010 and they had him on in the early afternoon by the lake, which suited his summery house set a thousand times better than having him in a dark tent in the early hours of the morning. I understand that this kind of thing mightn't be feasible when there's very large numbers involved, but it still leads to what I'd consider a sub-optimal setup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭pmalone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

Well said! just remember main stage does not automatically equal amazing gig. Pretty much all the best sets Ive ever seen were in the tents over the years. In fact, alot of main stage stuff can be quite disappointing.

Agreed, the sound can be terrible at the main stage and the crowd a bit boring. Chemical Brothers for example were a disappointment for me because of that, after been blown away seeing them previously. James Blake was also completely lost on the main stage. I enjoyed Underworld there but I was right up the front. Much prefer the tents!

• Advertisement

goway an ****e ye feckers ruinin de chat wit yer arguments

*ahem*

Now back to being excited about picnic! I ordered one of those portable chargers the other day and the delivery date is either the thursday or the friday.. of picnic! Hopefully it comes on the thursday so I can actually use it.

I'm going to have to start training myself for the weekend. Staying up a few minutes later each night and practising springing out of bed so I don't melt in the 300 degree morning tent heat. Also going to do a series of speed wellies removal exercises so that I can be a bit more efficient in general over the weekend.

Further things to practice:

- Hovering over the toilet. I've been doing it for months in preparation and my glutes and quads are like granite now. I can hold a squat for hours if needed.
    - Doing a mini-vomit as close as possible to your own feet (without getting sick all over them) while maintaining the rhythm of your dancing and letting on that nothing has just happened.
    - Shouting "SHUT THE **** UP!!" at a bunch of absolute twonks nearby having a heartfelt singalong at 5.30AM to someone playing Wonderwall or something equally crap on a badly tuned guitar.
    - Pissing in a pissbag in your tent without falling over and pissing all over the sleeping bag.
    - Running away from the Friday hordes of wasps through a field of guy-rope tripwires.
    - Brushing your teeth with Bacardi by accident.
    - Bumping into a colleague/teacher/student/relative while gurning like an agitated chimpanzee.

Not sure how some of these can be actually practiced, but you should at least try. Always be prepared.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭beansybeansy

pmalone wrote: »

Brilliant, now another reason to not get any work done!

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Dominya

Further things to practice:

- Hovering over the toilet. I've been doing it for months in preparation and my glutes and quads are like granite now. I can hold a squat for hours if needed.
    - Doing a mini-vomit as close as possible to your own feet (without getting sick all over them) while maintaining the rhythm of your dancing and letting on that nothing has just happened.
    - Shouting "SHUT THE **** UP!!" at a bunch of absolute twonks nearby having a heartfelt singalong at 5.30AM to someone playing Wonderwall or something equally crap on a badly tuned guitar.
    - Pissing in a pissbag in your tent without falling over and pissing all over the sleeping bag.
    - Running away from the Friday hordes of wasps through a field of guy-rope tripwires.
    - Brushing your teeth with Bacardi by accident.
    - Bumping into a colleague/teacher/student/relative while gurning like an agitated chimpanzee.

Not sure how some of these can be actually practiced, but you should at least try. Always be prepared.

+ learning to roll whatever it is you need to roll in all conditions.

Most of Portishead's music is subtle and understated. Most of Portishead's music is downtempo. Electric Picnic is held in a field, or rather a collection of fields.

I saw their set at Glastonbury. On the telly. Glastonbury main stage is made for television; when you're in your sitting room you have a panoramic view of the stage and crowd rather than being half a kilometer back with a wind whipping the sound all over the place. On a personal level, when I've been partying all day I'm inevitably in the mood of something more upbeat late at night, and when the time comes around the prospect of swaying slowly along to some admittedly tasty music rarely captivates me. There's a time and a place I'd like to see Portishead and that isn't standing in the cold at 12am when i'm drunk and high. I'm sure plenty of people will enjoy it and I wish them the best of luck.

As a bit of an aside, one thing I don't like about large festivals is the way they always operate on a set template: bigger acts on later and on the main stage. At smaller ones they often seem to try to put acts on at a time and place that suits them best. Ricardo Villalobos was the biggest act on the bill at Life 2010 and they had him on in the early afternoon by the lake, which suited his summery house set a thousand times better than having him in a dark tent in the early hours of the morning. I understand that this kind of thing mightn't be feasible when there's very large numbers involved, but it still leads to what I'd consider a sub-optimal setup.

Yeah I hear ya. Good point about the telly and Glasto too. And I agree that they'd suit the tent much better, but I'm not sure the EA tent would fit the crowd that will want to see them. I remember being disappointed in past years having to miss Kraftwerk and Beastie Boys because they stopped allowing more people into the tent.

If the weather holds, that main stage can be a great place for intense acts like that. Antony and the Johnsons years ago, for example – I never listened all that much to their albums, and wasn't sure I'd even stay to watch, being so late in the evening and off my head as I was, but by christ once they got going the personal intensity of it just zoned all of the attention to that stage and you almost forgot you were outside. Powerful stuff, and perfect for the emotionally receptive state I was in (fairly ****ed).

Then again, Sigur Ros a number of years back were a terrible choice for the main stage at the end of the night because their set was boring as **** and completely unsuited for a festival, at least for a late slot. It was at least half an hour or more before they played anything remotely resembling one of their more thrilling pieces, instead starting with one after another really dradgy aul' drawn-out number until we realised we were completely ruining our own time and fecked off to B&S for some good times.

Portishead, by comparison, have that intensity required to maintain the rapt attention of an audience even (or especially) if high.

A lot depends on the weather. As you say, the wind is a killer for outdoor acoustics. And anyone who stood watching Massive Attack in 2010 (?), good and all as they were, while sheets of rain swept across the field saturating all of us stupid enough to not have wet gear, knows how much the rain can kill the vibe (even if it forces you to unintentionally stumble into one of the all-time great experiences when escaping to Electric Arena and the warm weirdness of Fever Ray and her crazy light show...).

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭sally cinnamon89

are Glass Animals playing both Body&Soul and in some other tent in the main area?

That was a typo, should have been 05 - Kraftwerk.

Fair enough. Although again I'd question whether they were ever headliners. I think the disagreement stems from the fact that our definition of headliner differs – most of us would probably agree that a headliner is one of the bands that close out the main stage on any given night, which by definition means that all headliners play the main stage. You seem (I think) to think of the handful of top-billed acts as being headliners. So maybe you're right – just because Outkast, Beck, and Portishead were all given top billing doesn't necessarily mean they'll headline the three nights (i.e. play last set on main stage).

Anyway, let's leave it at that. We'll know soon enough who's playing the main stages anyway.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

The Amazing Fews set in Body and Soul will be the bands last show , they are breaking up

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

The last time Beck played an Irish festival was Witnness I think in 2002 or 2003, Portishead has never played a festival over here, I haven't a notion about Outkast when they last played Ireland or did they ever play Ireland before.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭AlanDeGenerous

pmalone wrote: »

The best thing about this, is the layout. Makes it look like I'm hard at work when really I'm doing EP research :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 mulkabu

Outkast played Ireland, a Creamfields I think, in the early noughties. Andre looked out at the field, made a circle with his fingers in front of his eye, and said "these whiteboys, they be pillin' *this* wide".

At least so I am told, I was in some tent having adventures

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement