Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2014 ** NO TICKET DISCUSSION ALLOWED ** see new mod note

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Dowdy

The last time Beck played an Irish festival was Witnness I think in 2002 or 2003, Portishead has never played a festival over here, I haven't a notion about Outkast when they last played Ireland or did they ever play Ireland before.

I remember seeing Beck at Creamfields in 2001 – all my mates (along with almost everybody at the festival) fecked off to some tent or other for one of the DJs while I insisted on staying with the tiny crowd at the main stage as Beck funked the **** out of it with a set of stuff mostly from Midnite Vultures. Savage set, and a really cool funky band, but all the buzzers weren't going to hang around for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

are Glass Animals playing both Body&Soul and in some other tent in the main area?

I'm pretty sure they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Dubhthamlacht

Stage times for The Oxjam tent are available

http://www.oxfamireland.org/sites/default/files/upload/pdfs/oxjam-ep-lineup.pdf

There is a lot of really good music in this tent over the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

The sound by the main stage is normally excellent if you stay to the middle and are in front of the sound desk. Its not that hard to get to if you snake around the right side of the desk and are there 10 mins early. Someone mentioned the chemical brothers in 2011 and i must say i thought the sound was incredible from where i was, like being in a set of headphones. Same with leftfield massive attack and orbital. It the one of the best outdoor venues i have seen for big electronic acts with their big AV shows. Their AV shows are too big for any of the tents. The only time i thought the sound was poor was Arcade Fire it just didn't manage loads of instruments well.
    Admittedly it is not the same if you are further back and to the side but more venues are like that and EP to have to be conscious of drowning out other stages.
    I think they moved the desk back last year though and sound may have been a bit poorer.

By comparison, the Electric Arena can be terrible for blind spots because its not on even ground and not always perfect soundwise. Little big tent can be way too packed and uncomfortable too when a big name is playing there.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭dixiechick88

Just listened to today fm, announcement at 3.45

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭PaddyPooHead

99% sure it will be an anti climax but I can't help being a bit excited.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Dowdy

Garth Brooks DJ set.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

What would you do if Daft Punk was announced, holey moley, not a chance though I'd say, fecking Aphex Twin would be better though. :D

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭srm23

Stage times for The Oxjam tent are available

http://www.oxfamireland.org/sites/default/files/upload/pdfs/oxjam-ep-lineup.pdf

There is a lot of really good music in this tent over the weekend.

I was there in 2011 - I thought this tent was sort of like an open mic thing with a drum kit and guitar, or am i thinking of something else?

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭beansybeansy

What would you do if Daft Punk was announced, holey moley, not a chance though I'd say, fecking Aphex Twin would be better though. :D

Im really hoping for Aphex Twin as he had that unexpected announcement this week about the new album.

Just hoping its not some crappy "chart" DJ or today fm dj "spinning the hits" from some mouldy auld caravan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Theinsideman

Dowdy wrote: »
    Garth Brooks DJ set.

funny

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭garrkell

Im really hoping for Aphex Twin as he had that unexpected announcement this week about the new album.

Just hoping its not some crappy "chart" DJ or today fm dj "spinning the hits" from some mouldy auld caravan

Aphex Twin is extremely hit and miss live. he is liable to play anything and he generally doesnt give a ****. saw him at Forbidden Fruit and it wasnt great.

garrkell wrote: »
    Aphex Twin is extremely hit and miss live. he is liable to play anything and he generally doesnt give a ****. saw him at Forbidden Fruit and it wasnt great.

Ive seen him a couple of times and had no complaints but I can see him just doing his own thing when it suits. Caribou or John Talabot would be fantastic but with Today FM being middle of the road, even Aphex Twin would be a stretch

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Catmologen

Was great at oxegen a few years ago, live face contortionist's on stage as well...

I loved the Forbidden Fruit set myself, he basically played Aphex Twin sounding music which Aphex Twin usually plays, if he is doing the Saturday slot he should probably bring Come to Daddy and Windowlicker into his set to keep those unaccustomed with his music entertained.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Tree Scape

It'll be Kodaline!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

i thought he was fantastic at Forbidden Fruit.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭gaffolino

Im not gonna get my hopes up. Its today fm.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

The last time Beck played an Irish festival was Witnness I think in 2002 or 2003, Portishead has never played a festival over here, I haven't a notion about Outkast when they last played Ireland or did they ever play Ireland before.
    he played the first Witnness in 2000.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭PaddyPooHead

Imagine it was Flying Lotus....

Why am I torturing myself?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭BadTurtle

Forbidden Fruit Aphex was good, enjoyed what he was doing though it wasn't the best way to close a festival. Oxegen in 08 he was dreadful, left half way through.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

Best campsite for craic? My mates are arguing between Hendrix and Oscar Wilde.

Hendrix camp site without a doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

Dowdy wrote: »
    Garth Brooks DJ set.

this would be great no doubt ;) … but my money is on Larry Garnier as was mentioned earlier in the is thread …

Jimi Hendrix IMO

this would be great no doubt ;) … but my money is on Larry Garnier as was mentioned earlier in the is thread …

Then again it could be Underworld, are they not touring at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Dominya

Imagine it was Flying Lotus....

Why am I torturing myself?

OH GAWD PLEASE

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Tree Scape

And anyway-are 2Fm the official broadcast partner?
    can't see how Today then get a major scoop, unless connected to Centre Stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭garrkell

Basement Jaxx have an album released today and are just about to start a huge UK tour in Nov/Dec. could easily see a DJ set by them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

Then again it could be Underworld, are they not touring at the moment.

now that is something I could buy into. The were super on the main stage a few years back .. 2011 maybe?

Wouldn't be bothered with Garnier myself ..

i guess we will soon know.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement