Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2014 ** NO TICKET DISCUSSION ALLOWED ** see new mod note

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Bootsy.

Another random festival tip actually.

Someone mentioned wasps a while back. Remember the massive explosion in population of wasps and other little flying creatures at the last couple of Picnics?

I randomly picked up some insect repellant hangy-uppy things (can't remember what to actually call them!) in the €2 shop last year. I hung one on the top cross-over part of my tent (outside though, I'm kinda paranoid about breathing in poisonous chemicals in my sleep) and another over the entrance to the tent. I wasn't bothered by any winged little feckers all weekend, and usually I'd have a tent full of them. I gave some to the friends I was camping with and we had a wasp-free area.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Dominya

Bootsy. wrote: »
    Another random festival tip actually.

Someone mentioned wasps a while back. Remember the massive explosion in population of wasps and other little flying creatures at the last couple of Picnics?

I randomly picked up some insect repellant hangy-uppy things (can't remember what to actually call them!) in the €2 shop last year. I hung one on the top cross-over part of my tent (outside though, I'm kinda paranoid about breathing in poisonous chemicals in my sleep) and another over the entrance to the tent. I wasn't bothered by any winged little feckers all weekend, and usually I'd have a tent full of them. I gave some to the friends I was camping with and we had a wasp-free area.

Tea Tree oil works a treat too. Eucalyptus too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

BadTurtle wrote: »
    Too much bog roll, not enough alcohol

I also have a full bottle of black bush in the car:D
    Will pick up a few small bottles of coke or something and empty them to carry that one in.

Two packs of 8 on the beer front made sense to me, easy to carry one and leave d'other in the car and slotted nicely into the fridge, I brought back half of what I had last year so there was no point in doing the dog on it in volume terms.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

the smell of weed and sweets attracts them, the gardai are doubling the number of sniffer wasps this year so be careful you don't get caught and stung with a hefty fine for improper use of a cone or smoking a coner with friends.

As they are a relatively new faction of the gardai they can be somewhat easily misdirected. 99's and fanta are a good way to confuse the wasps, they'll become infatuated with your delicious treats and forget all about their original task.
    Honeycomb toblerones are another good option especially if you're coming directly from an airport duty free.

As the wasp's keepers are mere mortal gardai, you'll notice that certain areas will contain a lower or higher concentration of the aforementioned sniffers.

Trenchtown is usually a hot spot for the undercover wasps, however the bass-shy garda handlers will leave once the rubadub badman sounds have started, possibly because of Benji Revalations tone of voice; which mimics the acoustic quality of the rooms the wasps were reared in. Cork, namely.
    This brings back bad memories for the wasps and like with other misdirections, they are too distracted to continue their work as a sniffer for the gardai.

Try not to look one in the eye, and if you do, drop to the floor immediately and roll to safety

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Bootsy. wrote: »
    Well listen to Mr. Laa-dee-daa with yer job and yer money and yer lack of a serious drinking problem! :p

Not really - gonna have to spread out the pints now. Was hoping to bring cans in after 10pm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,432 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

nlgbbbblth wrote: »
    Not really - gonna have to spread out the pints now. Was hoping to bring cans in after 10pm.

bars are open well beyond 10 this year so you will have to wait until about midnight before you will be freely able to bring in cans to the arena, balls eh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

bars are open well beyond 10 this year so you will have to wait until about midnight before you will be freely able to bring in cans to the arena, balls eh.

"Banned from arena post 11pm - Disposable BBQs, campsite stoves, flag poles, umbrellas. No drink or alcohol with the exception of up to 4 cans of beer/cider person or soft drinks bottles (up to 500ml)."

I always took it that it was 11pm before you were allowed bring drink in.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

James murphy looks like he'll be on the Friday night. Good way to kick off the weekend :)

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Catmologen

Bars are open till 01:00am on Saturday according to this. Balls indeed.

http://electricpicnic.ie/prohibiteditems

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I'm hoping for a sprinkling of names for the Red Bull Academy over the next day or two, its short of twelve DJs from last year.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement

I'm hoping for a sprinkling of names for the Red Bull Academy over the next day or two, its short of twelve DJs from last year.

Long 8 hr techno sets for the whole weekend i'd say, 20min build ups before the bass is slowly brought in :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

Missed these at glasto, determined to see them next week, they look like real funk fun!!:D

the smell of weed and sweets attracts them, the gardai are doubling the number of sniffer wasps this year so be careful you don't get caught and stung with a hefty fine for improper use of a cone or smoking a coner with friends.

As they are a relatively new faction of the gardai they can be somewhat easily misdirected. 99's and fanta are a good way to confuse the wasps, they'll become infatuated with your delicious treats and forget all about their original task.
    Honeycomb toblerones are another good option especially if you're coming directly from an airport duty free.

As the wasp's keepers are mere mortal gardai, you'll notice that certain areas will contain a lower or higher concentration of the aforementioned sniffers.

Trenchtown is usually a hot spot for the undercover wasps, however the bass-shy garda handlers will leave once the rubadub badman sounds have started, possibly because of Benji Revalations tone of voice; which mimics the acoustic quality of the rooms the wasps were reared in. Cork, namely.
    This brings back bad memories for the wasps and like with other misdirections, they are too distracted to continue their work as a sniffer for the gardai.

Try not to look one in the eye, and if you do, drop to the floor immediately and roll to safety

ha ha post of the year!!:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::D:D:D:D:D PMSL!!

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭beansybeansy

:mad:
    bleg wrote: »
    James murphy looks like he'll be on the Friday night. Good way to kick off the weekend :)

Im getting to his tent early. Place was rammed when he played the sunday night 2 years ago,
    Couldn't get inside. Not making that mistake this year

:mad:

Im getting to his tent early. Place was rammed when he played the sunday night 2 years ago,
    Couldn't get inside. Not making that mistake this year

He's on for playing in the UK on Sat/Sun so it looks like he'll be on Fri definitely according to this http://www.residentadvisor.net/dj/jamesmurphy/dates. No chance of him on the main stage?

He's on for playing in the UK on Sat/Sun so it looks like he'll be on Fri definitely according to this http://www.residentadvisor.net/dj/jamesmurphy/dates. No chance of him on the main stage?

It will be the Little Big Tent. Its just a DJ set, he wont "perform". In fact, he rarely plays LCD Soundsystem tracks either. But he does play a great set though

It will be the Little Big Tent. Its just a DJ set, he wont "perform". In fact, he rarely plays LCD Soundsystem tracks either. But he does play a great set though

Will be a great way to start the weekend! Will be getting in there early.

Will be a great way to start the weekend! Will be getting in there early.

Ooo man I'm never short of encouragement on Friday;) this will be epic! Will he be heading the LBT do you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,424 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Bombay Bicycle Club are on BBC3 at the moment from Reading and their set looks pretty damn awesome.

Never really listened to them before but will definitely be putting them on my list for the weekend :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,006 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Lads can you pitch tents in the camper van Park?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement

Fatfrog wrote: »
    Ooo man I'm never short of encouragement on Friday;) this will be epic! Will he be heading the LBT do you think?

Definitely. He headlined it 2 years ago on the Sunday night. Cant imagine he has been demoted in that time! Saw him in London a couple of months ago. You will not be disappointed. That's a beansy guarantee ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Peterd66

Lads can you pitch tents in the camper van Park?

Every year up to this was certainly allowed but suspect you have to go in with the camper van or caravan that has the ticket. Though it was far more cramped/packed last year

Definitely. He headlined it 2 years ago on the Sunday night. Cant imagine he has been demoted in that time! Saw him in London a couple of months ago. You will not be disappointed. That's a beansy guarantee ;-)

I actually found James Murphy dull as fcuk at Body & Soul 2013, he was playing Madonna or was it Cyndi Lauper remixes FFS! Hope he plays a better set this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

james murphy clashed with todd terje at casa bacardi two years ago, hoping to catch him this year. though it is strange the mad rush for someone playing his spotify playlists! inb4 people extolling the art of mixing.

Lads are Chic definitely on Saturday night or are people just going by process of elimination.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 teacakes

How do you get in contact with giglocker, send them an e-mail or...?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

teacakes wrote: »

From the EP Facebook page
    Hi guys just to let everyone know giglocker will be at electric picnic this year. Giglocker is a company that provides lockers and storage/booze boxes for the weekend for only €15 for the 4 days and you are guaranteed that all of your belongings will be safe, they also charge phones and any other devices for €5. It is also open 24 hours for you to retrieve your stuff anytime. You can reserve and pay for your lockers now at tickets.ie, all you have to do is go into the festivals section and then electric picnic and you will find giglocker.

teacakes wrote: »

From the EP facebook 'Posts to the Page'

"Hi guys just to let everyone know giglocker will be at electric picnic this year. Giglocker is a company that provides lockers and storage/booze boxes for the weekend for only €15 for the 4 days and you are guaranteed that all of your belongings will be safe, they also charge phones and any other devices for €5. It is also open 24 hours for you to retrieve your stuff anytime. You can reserve and pay for your lockers now at tickets.ie, all you have to do is go into the festivals section and then electric picnic and you will find giglocker."

http://www.tickets.ie/events.aspx/category/Festivals/8

Will be looking forward to this, this clip is from over 2 months ago, a bit pixelish but sounds great, I can imagine a great singalong at EP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭GopErthike

"That was a good drum break"

He's a must see, can really get a groove on.

Stupid planning if he clashes with Mogwai though, as someone else said they'd attract similar crowds.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement