Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2014 ** NO TICKET DISCUSSION ALLOWED ** see new mod note

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭MattD

Dunnes have 6 San Miguel for €9 at the moment, bit better than the 6 for 10 I was seeing everywhere. Molloys off licence were doing single cans of Dutch for €1 last time I was there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Well thats me off, I won't be back till after the festival, so have a good one guys and gals, and I'll see ya down there, bus to Kinnegad from Galway and then a lift from Kinnegad to the festival site woo hoo.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

Well thats me off, I won't be back till after the festival, so have a good one guys and gals, and I'll see ya down there, bus to Kinnegad from Galway and then a lift from Kinnegad to the festival site woo hoo.

Nice one BD - keep us up to date on weather conditions and the state of the ground etc, and any major changes you see on site...

I think half the enjoyment is in the weeks running up to the festival - checking this thread and other places obsessively for news, scoping out the long range forecast, planning the drink rations / smuggling routes, dreading clashes and making a list of must-sees, be-nice-to-sees and ah-sure-we'll-see-if-I'm-anywhere-near-there-when-they're-ons..

Can't see much work being done on my part this week - will be too busy dreaming :D

Enjoy the set-up bodhrandude :)

UsedToWait wrote: »
    scoping out the long range forecast

Quoting myself here - (where the hell is everyone!), but forecast on Met Eireann today suggests wellies might be needed.. lot of rain predicted during the week :(

The only half-decent bit is:
    Current indications suggest that the weekend may have some spells of rain, but also dry periods.

EDIT:
    Boards' own MT Cranium gives the whole sorry picture.. sorry for putting a downer on things, but stock up on the waterproofs and extra pairs of dry socks folks :(
    Sunday, 24 August, 2014

Forecasts for Ireland

TODAY ... Rain will gradually spread further east but may not arrive in north Leinster or east Ulster until afternoon (these regions have started quite cold, the temperature at 0600h was only 2 C at Markree, Sligo -- this chill won't be fully dissipated until afternoon). Some heavier bursts with slight risk of a thunderstorm in central to southeast counties mid-day, 10-15 mm potential, with moderate southeast winds developing, some gusts to 70 km/hr, and highs about 16 C, except for west Munster where 18 C is possible late afternoon as a somewhat milder air mass pushes in from the south.

TONIGHT ... A second and possibly heavier band of rain will develop and move into Munster, reaching south Leinster by dawn. This will bring 10 mm overnight and more during the day on Monday. Further north, misty with drizzle or occasional light rain. Lows 8-10 C north, 10-13 C south.

MONDAY ... With a track along the south coast, the second disturbance will turn winds back to the east for most regions, except possibly along the Waterford and Wexford coasts where it could stay southerly for a time. Heavy rain will spread through Munster into south Leinster. 15-20 mm further accumulations are likely there. For most of Connacht, Ulster and north Leinster, rain will be intermittent and not as heavy except for some isolated thundery showers, and amounts will be generally 5-10 mm. Highs will vary from about 14 C in the north to 18 C near the south coast.

TUESDAY ... Rain gradually ending through the early morning, just a few outbreaks of drizzle near south coast later in the day, variable cloud with some sunny breaks and northeasterly breezes during the mid-day and afternoon hours, morning lows 9-11 C and afternoon highs 15-17 C.

WEDNESDAY-THURSDAY ... Further rain is likely with a rather warm, humid feel as highs reach 19 or 20 C in some places. Rainfalls of about 10 mm a day seem likely, isolated heavier amounts south-central counties.

FRIDAY could bring a break in the unsettled weather, and SATURDAY is somewhat uncertain but chances of rain will gradually increase with the approach of a slow-moving system timed for Saturday night into Sunday morning. This could drop some rather heavy rainfalls if it develops as shown on early guidance. However, this is not the developing tropical storm near the Bahamas, that may not arrive at all but seems likely to be absorbed into a frontal system over the central Atlantic around the first two days of September. Any rain from this would arrive 3-4 September.

Will update for Britain and North America tomorrow, earlier comments seem to remain valid ... meanwhile, my local weather has returned to very warm, sunny conditions with the high close to 27 C.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭dixiechick88

Oh lord :( I hope we won't be arriving to a swamp...!! I hope the rain stays away, wouldn't mind a shower or two but if it's anything like today (I'm in cork) we'll be washed out of it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭beansybeansy

Oh lord :( I hope we won't be arriving to a swamp...!! I hope the rain stays away, wouldn't mind a shower or two but if it's anything like today (I'm in cork) we'll be washed out of it!

So long as we have wellies, waterproof jackets, tents, tunes and beers, we'll be grand

So long as we have wellies, waterproof jackets, tents, tunes and beers, we'll be grand

Yeah, they way I look at it is, there's no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothes :)

Once you can keep reasonably dry, party on!

edit: waterproof trousers are also a godsend - you can sit anywhere you like, and there's nothing worse than being weighed down by soggy jeans - ski trousers are my no.1 festival tip - zip pockets mean no matter how haywire you are, you never lose a thing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,546 ✭✭✭Duff

As long as we manage to keep the insides of our tents dry lads, we'll be grand. Bring a hape of spare clothes and and if you have to, pebble dash the outside of your tent with black bin bags and Robert's your mother's brother.

Duff wrote: »
    pebble dash the outside of your tent with black bin bags

As long as some hoor doesn't pebble dash the outside of your tent with that lunchtime's Falafel, be grand :pac:

Duff wrote: »
    As long as we manage to keep the insides of our tents dry lads, we'll be grand. Bring a hape of spare clothes and and if you have to, pebble dash the outside of your tent with black bin bags and Robert's your mother's brother.

Dont forget my top tip: bring gloves. Nothing worse than wet hands, cold beer and a chilly breeze.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

I've never been to a wet music festival/outdoor gig before through sheer dumb luck. Wellies or good boots?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Akrasia wrote: »
    Bombay Bicycle Club are on BBC3 at the moment from Reading and their set looks pretty damn awesome.

Never really listened to them before but will definitely be putting them on my list for the weekend :)

3rd time seeing them - love them to fricking bits!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

bleg wrote: »
    I've never been to a wet music festival/outdoor gig before through sheer dumb luck. Wellies or good boots?

Wellies it could ripen into a swamp in places

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Dowdy

tonc76 wrote: »
    Wellies it could ripen into a swamp in places

Wellies are great but after a solid day (or three) walking and dancing in them your feet will kill. Makes you realise the job that the insoles of normal footwear does. Good thick socks, or multiple pairs of socks, help a bit with that.

Have ye all seen this yet? The Hardy Bucks creators have done a new thing about the Picnic. It's ****ing hilarious!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

Nooooooo why do I always bring rain to festivals

Episode 2 of EPTV is up there now too. For any of you planning on shelving a Simba this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Aviation Red Alert from Iceland! Looks like Phil Cawley will be doing an epic 72 hour set!

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭partay pooper

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Aviation Red Alert from Iceland! Looks like Phil Cawley will be doing an epic 72 hour set!

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/aug/24/iceland-volcano-uk-airspace-civil-aviation-authority I don't think it will be as bad as the last one.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭garrkell

bars are open well beyond 10 this year so you will have to wait until about midnight before you will be freely able to bring in cans to the arena, balls eh.

its written on the website that 4 cans can be brought in after 11pm

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭Rough Sleeper

garrkell wrote: »
    its written on the website that 4 cans can be brought in after 11pm
    Where? This is what I can see on their website:
    As per previous years whilst the bars onsite are open no drink or alcohol can be brought into the arena, with the exception of sealed soft drinks bottles (up to 500ml). Once the bars are closed up to 4 cans of beer/cider per person or soft drinks bottles (up to 500ml) are permitted to be brought into the arena (Bars scheduled to close at midnight on Friday and Sunday and 1am on Saturday)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭JackMcA

Where? This is what I can see on their website:
    As per previous years whilst the bars onsite are open no drink or alcohol can be brought into the arena, with the exception of sealed soft drinks bottles (up to 500ml). Once the bars are closed up to 4 cans of beer/cider per person or soft drinks bottles (up to 500ml) are permitted to be brought into the arena (Bars scheduled to close at midnight on Friday and Sunday and 1am on Saturday)

This is what WindGuru is currently predicting for next weekend:

2ma7tf.png

Which would be nice. Could all change again tomorrow though.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 JayCee001

My campervan ticket arrived last week but haven't got the festival entry tickets, which were to be posted out. Should I be concerned yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,548 ✭✭✭✭siblers

As per previous years whilst the bars onsite are open no drink or alcohol can be brought into the arena,with the exception of sealed soft drinks bottles (up to 500ml). Once the bars are closed up to 4 cans of beer/cider per person or soft drinks bottles (up to 500ml) are permitted to be brought into the arena (Bars scheduled to close at midnight on Friday and Sunday and 1am on Saturday) :
    Can't you just sneak in drink through soft drink bottles? Are they gonna check every bottle to see if it's properly sealed?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

UsedToWait wrote: »
    Yeah, they way I look at it is, there's no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothes :)

I think I might go down and invest in some waterproofs this week - top to toe. I will never forget the rain that came down during Massive Attack x years ago.

bleg wrote: »

Wellies basically. Walking boots killed my feet over three days. I'd go for good shoes during day if ground is not too bad and then wellies once it gets dark.

If the ground is in anyway wet - it will get destroyed with thousands of people passing through the same spots all during the day.

This time next week - I will be resembling a zombie. Two days down, and the last few hours and madness to go. I am getting so excited.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Toast

JayCee001 wrote: »
    My campervan ticket arrived last week but haven't got the festival entry tickets, which were to be posted out. Should I be concerned yet?

You should probably call Ticketmaster. Most likely if you've not gotten them now they are lost in the post. They'll reissue them if you get onto them.

Ladies of boards.ie. The Pamper Palace isnt going to be there this year. Now im no dolly bird but 3 days without a decent mirror, straighteners or hairdryer and I will be doing a pretty good Russell Brand impersonation.

so, im off to argos for one of these puppies

http://www.argos.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?storeId=10152&catalogId=14551&langId=111&searchTerms=gas+straighteners&authToken=

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭larrymiller

Is there anywhere on the site that tells you what there? Eg compfy crappers and the pamper palAce.. These sort of things

Is there anywhere on the site that tells you what there? Eg compfy crappers and the pamper palAce.. These sort of things

The festival info section has some details but not exhaustive, the map will have a bit more info. I got the update on pamper palace from their fb page

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭partay pooper

The festival info section has some details but not exhaustive, the map will have a bit more info. I got the update on pamper palace from their fb page

wheres the MAP??

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement