Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2014 ** NO TICKET DISCUSSION ALLOWED ** see new mod note

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

I'd say blocked in is probably the bigger danger, had fun with that last year.

Jaysus,is there anyone there directing traffic?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

according to the Irish Times, he's playing Sunday night on the main stage.
    seems like he will be on before Outkast.

What's happening there? It's a bit of an odd arrangement to be honest!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 redser77

I didn't go last year but in previous years I had no problem with parking though I always leave at the crack of Dawn on the Monday.

When I volunteered 5 years ago I had to spend part of my Friday shift in the car parks & there was a group of people directing the parking I was told they do all the festivals and they all had it down to a fine art.

If they get those guys or whoever was covering B&S this year (if it wasn't the same ones) shouldn't be any problem - got out of Ballinlough in mins

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭srm23

baallbag wrote: »
    Went to watch the Dublin - Kerry match last year in the local pub in stradbally, as a dub it was one of the best parts of the weekend great match, great craic and fresh pints! The pub was packed out so obviously a lot of people want to watch the matchs and to be honest you don't miss much and a lot of people stay in the campsite for a lot of the sunday and leave it till late in the evening to go in! Il be back in stadbally for the match again this year, great craic to be had and might be a dry roof over my head for a couple hours

How long is the walk out to the pub?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

I'd say blocked in is probably the bigger danger, had fun with that last year.

You'd be very very unlucky to get blocked in! Not even worth thinking about.
    The massive attack weather attack it was a bit hairy leaving the car parks, pretty soft ground, mud + rear wheel drive car not good!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Meangadh

Balls, I've to leave on the Sunday night as well- had to last year too and had no bother getting out, never crossed my mind that there'd any problems... I assume it'll be ok again!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

according to the Irish Times, he's playing Sunday night on the main stage.
    seems like he will be on before Outkast.

Really?? Why did I feel like Outkast were going to be Friday?

Thanks for all of your replies,one last thing,what's the deal with folding chairs?

Are they allowed? Garda website says no but the EP website says nothing about it.

Getting very excited now

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Francis H Murphy

fafy wrote: »
    Very Nice. have seen LGC a few times, and they are fairly good.

Fairly good ? Pure class more like
    Do Not Miss

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

10628112_10152673029079168_2357545500976480723_n.png?oh=60a5091075c22b9aa53e3a3e39696ada&oe=54745467&__gda__=1415734274_3ced6989c4fb449cae8a5507076ecc1a

10599316_10152673028979168_3886250948433293261_n.png

10612842_10152673029094168_7545775045816656321_n.png?oh=13d12c9eec0d0aa46d9bf2fa306fe278&oe=545EA3C0&__gda__=1417046132_071a2c2c398e3b1b5767a3e03027f00e

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

Has anyone ever had trouble with getting their cars out of the car park with regards wet ground/being blocked in?

I've to leave Sunday night for work Monday morning.

You would be very unlucky to get blocked in. The parking last year was damn dodgy at times. Especially on Sunday as people were coming and going - cars were being dumped everywhere.

The horrific rain the night Massive Attack played made getting out of the car park interesting - we got out about 6am and the ground was getting really torn up. Another couple of hundred cars later, the ground wasn't getting any better. The thing is, it's farming country - has to be be a ton of farmers who can pull you out.

Yeah there is. But most of the directing is Friday and Sunday. It get damn chaotic at times.

Thanks for all of your replies,one last thing,what's the deal with folding chairs?

Are they allowed? Garda website says no but the EP website says nothing about it.

Getting very excited now

Do you mean in the campsites or the arena?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Arguably one of the best food agendas at the festival since the theatre’s arrival four years ago, a warm escape from the inevitable showers will be most welcome with a promise of full bellies and a pinch of kitchen enlightenment.

Top chefs, pillars of Ireland’s food industry and celebrated food writers will take to the stage throughout the weekend in a cacophony of events. Here’s some things that are definitely work squeezing into your Electric Picnic schedule.

Bar Hop

Friday

5.15pm

There’s hardly a better way to kick off Electric Picnic than a bar hop. This event pairs Colin Hesson of L. Mulligan Grocer and Brown Paper Bag Project Brewery with expert brewer Brian Short who will gush about the hop and transform avarage beers into the spectacular.

Coffee Culture

Saturday

11:30am

After a crazy kick off to the festival, caffine might just be exactly what’s called for and a demonstration by Sunday Times critic Ernie Whalley as well as Coffee Angel’s Karl Purdy, 3fe’s Colin Harmon and Saltpeter’s Jennifer Lyons is sure to set any coffee-lover up for a great Saturday.

Cooking with Nevin

Saturday

12.30pm

RTE favourite Nevin Maguire is set to whip up modern Irish food in an exciting demo on Saturday afternoon. Mced by the Sunday Business Post’s Gillian Nelis, this demo is definitely on for your agenda.

The Missing Ingredient

Saturday

2.45pm

Respected food writer Ross Golden-Bannon hosts a delightful foodie quiz, where Irish celebrities including Brendan Courtney, Brian Kennedy and Sonya Lennon all pit it out together in a gameshow-like set up.

Speed Wine Dating

Saturday

8.30am

If you’re sick of Tinder, take an hour away from the music to indulge yourself in some sloshy speed dating. The exercise aims to pair your with matches who share your taste in vino and who knows? You might just meet someone interesting.

Kevin Thornton’s Ethopia

Sunday

11.30am

Mced by independent.ie travel writer Pól ÓConghaile, Kevin Thornton will demonstrate recipes inspired by his recent trip to Africa.

View The Theatre of Food's full schedule on www.electricpicnic.ie
    - See more at: http://www.independent.ie/life/food-drink/food-news/top-6-foodie-mustdos-at-electric-picnic-2014-30534952.html#sthash.kHWPth1g.dpuf

Queen-Mise wrote: »
    Do you mean in the campsites or the arena?

Campsite.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Meangadh

I don't see anything on the Garda website about no chairs. I'll be bringing one anyway.

Lads. Is the inflatable church gonna be there?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

Can you bring a camping stove with gas cannister to make brews in the morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,222 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

No.

Feck, was hoping to be able to have a brew and also for hot water bottles at night cos its fecking brassic at the moment.

• Advertisement

Campsite.

Yeah no problem with them in the campsite.
    Mince Pie wrote: »
    Feck, was hoping to be able to have a brew and also for hot water bottles at night cos its fecking brassic at the moment.

I am planning on getting one of the really small ones and hiding it. I want tea in the morning :o

Actually these ones are allowed in the campsite:
    ALLOWED:

- GREENHEAT Base Camp Cooker
    - SOLID FUEL STOVES
    - DISPOSABLE BARBEQUES
    - FIRELIGHTERS / FIRELIGHTER STOVES
    - METHYLATED / "TRANGIA" SPIRIT STOVES

Might see what the price of some of those are. Don't need anything big.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Outcastangel

Mince Pie wrote: »

You can get tea from nearly all stalls.. I'm sure if you ask the stalls they'll fill up your hot water bottle! It's a great idea btw :)

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Dyaso

SuperValue in Newry are doing 20 cans of carling for £13

Also, anyone else doing the Tour De Picnic or run?

Stop doing the ice bucket challenge!!!
    "The organisers of Electric Picnic have hired a top team of climatologists to figure out why the weather is so bad in the run up to this years festival. "We've always had FANTASTIC weather at the 'nic" said Eimear Hollybush Byrne, one of the events organisers, "But this year has been like, total gash so far, so we got in, y'know, sciencey men to find out what's going on."
    The top weather boffins quickly uncovered the secret to the damp phenomena, the people of Ireland need to stop taking part in the ice bucket challenge. "You see, the problem is people don't know how weather systems work." said one of the sciencey men. "The wetter the ground, the more moisture is drawn up into the sky, which then form clouds which then lash down on everyone." He went on to explain further, "This mental rain we're having in August can be directly attributed to the ice bucket challenge. If you want to stop the rain, stop watering the ground. It never rains in the desert after all".
    Rumours that John Reynolds is refusing to perform his traditional "Sundance" can neither be confirmed or denied at this point."

You can get tea from nearly all stalls.. I'm sure if you ask the stalls they'll fill up your hot water bottle! It's a great idea btw :)

It's bad enough were getting stung on the bars, just didn't really fancy forking out 2e on me coffee in the morning as well. The hot water bottles will be a lifesaver but not sure if stalls with hot water will still be open in the wee hours when I'm ready for me leaba.
    Been looking up the stoves that are allowed and to late to order from amazin and would be a false economy now at 50e for one.
    PITA

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭freddiemoore

Dyaso wrote: »
    Also, anyone else doing the Tour De Picnic or run?

Ya I'm doing the run! Did a 15k on Saturday and pure stiff after it so gonna make sure and avail of the massages in the Tour De Picnic area!

The TDP email today said strictly only one bag, but I assume tent on top of rucksack with straps over it would be sound?

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭PadraigOK

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Dowdy

Main Stage

Friday
    10.45pm-12am: Pet Shop Boys
    9pm-10.15pm: Foals
    7.15pm-8.15pm: Blondie
    6pm-6.45pm: The Strypes
    5pm-5.30pm: Tvvins

Saturday
    12.30am-1.45am: Chic
    10.35pm-11.50pm: Portishead
    8.45pm-9.55pm: Paolo Nutini
    7pm-8.05pm: Bombay Bicycle Club
    5.30pm-6.25pm: Hozier
    3.45pm-4.45pm: Wild Beasts
    2pm-3pm: The Stranglers
    12.30pm-1.30pm: Trinity Orchestra

Sunday
    10.15pm-12am: Outkast
    8.30pm-9.45pm: Beck
    7pm-8pm: Lily Allen
    5.25pm-6.25pm: SimpleMinds
    3.50pm-4.50pm: Sinead O’Connor
    2.20pm-3.20pm: The Wailers
    1pm-2pm: Dublin Gospel Choir

Red Bull Music Academy Stage

Friday
    2am-4am: Sunil Sharpe
    1am-2am: Dark Sky
    11.35pm-12.35am: Clu
    10pm-11.35pm: Republik DJs

Saturday
    2am-4am Joy Orbison
    1am-2am: Dorian Concept
    12am-1am: Colm K
    11pm-12am: Handsome Paddy
    10pm-11pm: Kobina

Sunday
    2am-4am: Boddika
    12am-2am: Rift
    11pm-12am: Boya
    10pm-11pm: Open Mind

Casa Bacardi

Friday
    10pm: Dimitri From Paris
    8pm: Bill Scurry
    6pm: Disconauts
    4pm: Leigh Farrell

Saturday
    10.30pm: Greg Wilson
    8.30pm: Ejeca
    6:30pm: Jonas Rathsman
    5pm: Ghostboy
    3pm: Get Down Edits
    1pm: Discotekken
    12pm: Monophat

Sunday
    10pm: The 2 Bears
    8pm: Pleasurekraft
    6.30pm: Nancy Whang
    4.30pm: Mother
    3pm: Decent Perks
    1.30pm: Kelly Anne Byrne
    12pm: Eddie K

I'm happy with that so far. Looks like Beck and Mogwai probably won't clash now anyway. There's maybe a risk of a Beck/St Vincent clash but we'll see. Lots of time too after Portishead on Saturday to go to B&S or the rave.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

Beck on the main stage on Sunday 8.30pm-9.45pm, have a bad feeling that's gonna clash with St. Vincent in the Electric Arena

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement