Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2014 ** NO TICKET DISCUSSION ALLOWED ** see new mod note

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

that's not the typical age group at EP any more really since Oxegen's downfall, and even then, many of that age group wouldn't know a Portishead song. I've been going to EP since 2005 btw.

most people know 2 Massive Attack songs, and the crowd for Massive Attack was tiny for a headliner, easily the smallest I've ever seen.

Hmmm, eh weather was a contributory factor there, monsoon and all that (2010), Fever Ray got the crowd because it was tented unless you are talking about the 2006 EP.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Yeah I figured as much...I just saw two or three people mention it earlier in the thread and it got my hopes up a little.
    they may well play but doubt they'll be headliners. headline the Electric Arena maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭miller82

outkast
    james blake
    damon albarn
    and QOTSA

You heard it here first :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

Hmmm, eh weather was a contributory factor there, monsoon and all that (2010), Fever Ray got the crowd because it was tented unless you are talking about the 2006 EP.

You beat me to it, love massive attack but it was hard going EP10! Rain + very strong winds had to get inside! I was 1/4 way in for Fever Ray and was still getting the wind and rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭BadTurtle

Corholio wrote: »
    Is that how it's judged these days?? I would have thought the Picnic would have a fair bigger standing than a 2 year old festival, and looking at the Longitude lineup this year I hope it would be quite a lot bigger standing.

Disclosure and Massive Attack both headlined EP and Longitude. Kraftwerk too.

• Advertisement

that's true, but even with the weather, which i braved myself for a while, there was only a few hundred people there at the start. Portishead are even more niche than Massive Attack, who at least have a couple of "hits".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭NordieSteve

miller82 wrote: »
    outkast
    james blake
    damon albarn
    and QOTSA

You heard it here first :-)

I haven't heard albarns solo stuff, must check it out. QOTSA though :D:D:D:D:D.

Fatfrog wrote: »
    You beat me to it, love massive attack but it was hard going EP10! Rain + very strong winds had to get inside! I was 1/4 way in for Fever Ray and was still getting the wind and rain.

Yeh, how would you equate it to, attendance for Arcade Fire's set at Oxegen 2010 I can imagine that was very similar weather with a few diehards at the front of the stage, I know because I looked at Oxegen's webcam thing on the Friday night of the festival. lots of wind, cold, rain, macs and muck.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

BadTurtle wrote: »

Well technically Disclosure were not billed as headliners for the Saturday , Bjork was the headliner .

I do agree Vampire Weekend would be a better sub act imo at EP . Longitude is 10,000 capacity while EP is 35,000.

Not gonna lie im like a child on x mas eve today , Just cant wait till 12pm tomorrow even though ill be in college but ill have IT at 12pm so ill have access to a computer :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8 fogarino

Easy Rod wrote: »
    Indefinite hiatus unfortunately. So glad I caught them at EP last year.

Great band and what a live performance.

Not trying to rub it in by the way, was devastated when i heard.

Lead singer, Hamilton Leithauser, is releasing a solo album so might tour himself... I wasn't blown away by the track i heard though. Jesus, i'm full of good news ain't I?
    Pete Bauer shows more promise at least

http://pitchfork.com/news/54165-listen-the-walkmens-peter-matthew-bauer-latin-american-ficciones-from-solo-album-liberation/

• Advertisement

Yeh, how would you equate it to, attendance for Arcade Fire's set at Oxegen 2010 I can imagine that was very similar weather with a few diehards at the front of the stage, I know because I looked at Oxegen's webcam thing on the Friday night of the festival. lots of wind, cold, rain, macs and muck.
    the weather was fine for Arcade Fire.
    Jay-Z had a huge crowd before them and then most people went off to see David Guetta or Fatboy Slim.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Indeed, but in Massive Attack and Kraftwerk's case they would be Picnic headliners regardless, they have headlined small festivals but that doesn't automatically mean said festival is on par with Electric Picnic. I just don't think headlining Longitude is automatically a quality mark to headline EP.

the weather was fine for Arcade Fire.
    Jay-Z had a huge crowd before them and then most people went off to see David Guetta or Fatboy Slim.

Yea when i was working at Oxegen 2010 i was leaving as AF and Muse were on each night and both got smalle enough crowd while i walked passed the 2nd stage on saturday and the crowd was massive

Corholio wrote: »
    Indeed, but in Massive Attack and Kraftwerk's case they would be Picnic headliners regardless, they have headlined small festivals but that doesn't automatically mean said festival is on par with Electric Picnic. I just don't think headlining Longitude is automatically a quality mark to headline EP.

The way festivals have gone in the last few years in Ireland it pretty much is. They're just swapping the same 20 bands around, with the cheap festivals missing out on the big names. Electric Picnic cherry-picks more than most but they're not as big as people are pretending - Coldplay etc. are A list headliners and the festival wouldn't be able to afford them (nor should they be looking for them - most of them are rubbish).

So I assume this will be getting announced tomorrow on the radio, who normally announces the Picnic again is it 2FM or Today FM?

So I assume this will be getting announced tomorrow on the radio, who normally announces the Picnic again is it 2FM or Today FM?

Dont think they have any particular radio station? Suppose keep an eye on twitter is the best beat and facebook

• Registered Users Posts: 25 SantaClaws7

I think EP is usually partnered with 2FM (don't hold me to that just going from memory here) but I havn't heard anything on the radio about it. Assume it will be on the website, Facebook and Twitter at 12 and news will spread from there. Hoping for a few bands at the official launch tomorrow evening as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

Fingers and toes crossed for QOTSA.

It's like Christmas Eve not knowing what you're going to get.

I'm hoping that, that mini earth tremor that was felt in Wexford was a sign that Aphex Twin is gonna be announced tomorrow as a European exclusive. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

Would really love Slowdive to play EP! highly doubtful but possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

i doubt it, pretty sure 95% of the EP crowd couldn't name a song by them, and I'd say a sizable amount have never even heard of them....

Are you serious? what age are you?

Bowlardo wrote: »
    Are you serious? what age are you?
    what difference does it make what age i am? :confused:
    i like Portishead.
    the vast, vast majority of the public has never heard of them.

it's hilarious that some people actually think that even among an EP crowd many people could actually name a song of theirs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

what difference does it make what age i am? :confused:
    i like Portishead.
    the vast, vast majority of the public has never heard of them.

it's hilarious that some people actually think that even among an EP crowd many people could actually name a song of theirs.

I personally thought that Portishead was one of those albums that everyone had in their collection. A bit like Harvest Neil Young and Astral weeks Van the man.
    Or maybe I'm most definitely auld.

i'd say more EP attendees these days have a Kings Of Leon, Mumford & Sons or The Killers album in their collection than any of those you mentioned.

Looking at kids on Twitter talk about EP is disturbing. Ed Sheeran, The Kooks, Kasabian, Coldplay all being asked for. No thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

i'd say more EP attendees these days have a Kings Of Leon, Mumford & Sons or The Killers album in their collection than any of those you mentioned.

And Two Door Cinema Club, don't forget Two Door Fookin Cinema!

Mince Pie wrote: »
    I personally thought that Portishead was one of those albums that everyone had in their collection. A bit like Harvest Neil Young and Astral weeks Van the man.
    Or maybe I'm most definitely auld.

I can imagine the opening notes of Only You pummeling through the sound system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭HighClass

Looking at kids on Twitter talk about EP is disturbing. Ed Sheeran, The Kooks, Kasabian, Coldplay all being asked for. No thanks.

If the lineup looks anything like that I'm not even sure Aphex Twin could save it for me :/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

Fook me, The Kooks...why did you have to remind me of those pr!cks?

You may aswell have said Razorlight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

All Kasabians songs sound the same with the maaaah waaa waaa heeeey waaa wa
    Come to think of it so do Mumford and Sons. Ermm and the rest.

Right well I'm hoping for QOTSA and a few others.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement