Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2014 ** NO TICKET DISCUSSION ALLOWED ** see new mod note

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭DM360

Hey just got lucky and found myself a ticket. Only trouble is I won't be able to make it down until Saturday evening. Can anyone tell me will this be too late to set up the tent and all or is there still room?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Not being able to bring in your own beer is outrageous in this day and age. I never bought into the whole 'boutique' thing for this very reason. Electric Picnic is a big corporate pig.

it's not really, pretty much every large festival in the western world is the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Right Turn Clyde

I love subverting it!! I ALWAYS GET DRINK THRU

I sneak drink in as well, but I take no pleasure from it. Perhaps that's because I'm nearly 30 years of age. Hiding shoulders of vodka from security guards loses its appeal after your 25th festival.

it's not really, pretty much every large festival in the western world is the same.

One word. Glastonbury.

And the EP had the same policy during its very first year, when it was billing itself as an alternative-living boutique festival.

One word. Glastonbury.

And the EP had the same policy during its very first year, when it was billing itself as an alternative-living boutique festival.

yes, and Glastonbury is different to almost every single other festival.

• Advertisement

DM360 wrote: »
    Hey just got lucky and found myself a ticket. Only trouble is I won't be able to make it down until Saturday evening. Can anyone tell me will this be too late to set up the tent and all or is there still room?

All the good spots will be gone very early. I'm arriving at 1pm tomorrow and even I'm worried about what kind of spot I'll get, because I've had mixed results before. But there's always room for one more tent. My advice would be to spend as much time as possible trying to find a decent spot. Don't just pitch down straight away because you found a space, because there's probably a very good reason why that space exists that late into the weekend. On the plus side you'll have a fair idea of what type of people you're camping beside. That's not something all the early birds experience. Someone that's reading this will be camped beside utter tramps this time tomorrow night. Someone always gets the short straw. It's happened to me before. Make sure it doesn't happen to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭garrkell

H8GHOTI wrote: »
    That's stupid alright.
    You can't enter the arena with a bottle unless it's got a cap.
    Then you buy a bottle inside, they take the feckin cap off!

Actually, at the security do they remove the cap on the way in?

the number one thing thrown at people on stage is bottle caps.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

yes, and Glastonbury is different to almost every single other festival.

Because they're corporate-driven affairs. Glastonbury vendors do very well out of alcohol sales, so the only real motivation for limiting choice of booze at other festivals is corporate exclusivity. The rot (in this area) set in at EP when randomer vendors were stopped from selling jugs of scrumpy (Pieminister), or continental beers (body and soul crusties). I know that EP want the shekels that the brewers can shell out for exclusivity, but it's at the expense of the customer, and it actually makes very little difference to the revenues generated for the brewer at the festival. A bit of backbone from the promoters would sort this situation out in short order.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Outcastangel

Anyone asking about cigarettes/tobacco, they only sell Marlboro brand! They must have a contract..

Asked for any menthols they had last year, I got the ice blast, click ones. I didn't realise they were mentol anyway and the click was even stronger mentol. I was so drunk that night I didn't notice how strong they were.. Woke up te next morning with a horrendous raw throat.. Couldn't speak for the next week!

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭DM360

All the good spots will be gone very early. I'm arriving at 1pm tomorrow and even I'm worried about what kind of spot I'll get, because I've had mixed results before. But there's always room for one more tent. My advice would be to spend as much time as possible trying to find a decent spot. Don't just pitch down straight away because you found a space, because there's probably a very good reason why that space exists that late into the weekend. On the plus side you'll have a fair idea of what type of people you're camping beside. That's not something all the early birds experience. Someone that's reading this will be camped beside utter tramps this time tomorrow night. Someone always gets the short straw. It's happened to me before. Make sure it doesn't happen to you.

Thanks for the reply, well hopefully there'll be a bit of space. I'm only there the one night so should be tolerable just for a few hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,545 ✭✭✭Duff

For anyone who has drove down before, where do you put your car keys? I'm anxious enough having to carry them around all weekend..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Outcastangel

BrianSm wrote: »
    Just a quick question, bought a ticket off someone and it says complimentary on it and it says 'enter any public gate' where it normally says 'property of electricpicnic' on other tickets, just asking is the ticket legit?

I got one of those one year, I just had to pay €50 towards amnesty international. Not bad for a weekend camping ticket

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭partay pooper

Duff wrote: »
    For anyone who has drove down before, where do you put your car keys? I'm anxious enough having to carry them around all weekend..

book a locker, but they should be grand in a backpack!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,545 ✭✭✭Duff

Also, if Rustie drops this I'm going to go HAM.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

That's not something all the early birds experience. Someone that's reading this will be camped beside utter tramps this time tomorrow night. Someone always gets the short straw. It's happened to me before. Make sure it doesn't happen to you.

And if it doesn't happen to you, give consideration to the possibility that you're the utter tramp on the site. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Graham1978

Just to clarify, I'm about to pour 6 bottles of wine into 2ltr plastic bottles, is this allowed into the campsite ?? Thanks

Graham1978 wrote: »
    Just to clarify, I'm about to pour 6 bottles of wine into 2ltr plastic bottles, is this allowed into the campsite ?? Thanks
    yep.

https://twitter.com/jimcarrollOTR/status/505059798648647682
    Re @EPfestival ground conditions for those who were asking: seems solid enough, no muddy patches worth talking about. Thumbs up!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

haha hasnt had 40000 people walking on it yet though!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

Will be maintaining radio silence from now until the finish, I'm all packed and ready to go. Enjoy it everyone, see ye all there :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭partay pooper

one of us, one of us, one of us...

"Gooble, gobble,Gooble, gobble"

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Crumpets

on that topic, can anyone recommend any other good food stalls?

Cranky Yankee corn dogs in the Trailer Park Arena :)

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭askU

Bring ear plugs!

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭murdog!

Chances of getting good kip tonight are minimal, I'm 31 ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

murdog! wrote: »
    Chances of getting good kip tonight are minimal, I'm 31 ffs

I can identify with your predicament or sadness in other words :)

Roofbox on car, all the chairs, tables, tents, all gone in. All the rain gear, and wellies etc, are also gone in. Hopefully won't need them.

Have to pick up a big battery for torch tomorrow. Pick up a few nice munchables in Tesco's and them we are going partying.

Still haven't decided whether we are staying in tent or coming back to the house at night. Makes no odds really.

The kids are so excited. Husband was driving back through Stradbally this evening coming home from work - he said the buzz around the place was amazing. I want to be over there at 10am - to get tent up and soak up the atmosphere and wander around the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Can't wait for the following;

My first can
    The moment flume drops 'holding on"
    Stumbling across another amazing new artist that il travel the country to see next year
    Eating a breakfast bap at the global gathering section
    Talking to randomers whilst queuing for food/loos

Wishing everyone a safe and happy wkend. I hope all the newbies enjoy it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭catch--22

Duff wrote: »

I have a waterproof zip-lock bag. Stick them in that and under my tent. Right in the middle beneath the ground mat. Sleep on an air mattress so don't notice them and they are a good arm's length away from each side.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Crumpets

Jaysus I still have to pack. Been on youtube all evening looking up loads of bands. Can't wait lads!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭murdog!

Queen-Mise wrote: »
    I can identify with your predicament or sadness in other words :)

Roofbox on car, all the chairs, tables, tents, all gone in. All the rain gear, and wellies etc, are also gone in. Hopefully won't need them.

Have to pick up a big battery for torch tomorrow. Pick up a few nice munchables in Tesco's and them we are going partying.

Still haven't decided whether we are staying in tent or coming back to the house at night. Makes no odds really.

The kids are so excited. Husband was driving back through Stradbally this evening coming home from work - he said the buzz around the place was amazing. I want to be over there at 10am - to get tent up and soak up the atmosphere and wander around the place.

It's Christmas for grown ups!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭deeceemee

First time poster and long time lurker. So recommendations please
    King Kong Company or Rift/Boddika..decisions..decisions

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement