Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2014 ** NO TICKET DISCUSSION ALLOWED ** see new mod note

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,510 ✭✭✭✭fits

mruser2014 wrote: »

We all know it won't be like the EP of the first 3 years.

Honestly, I think its better now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 redser77

Just got my loyalty code for next year's picnic & it's offering me the code for 2 or less years ...... Eehhhh no I've just done by 5th.

Of I got to send them a nice email ....

Fabulous weekend & while I loved all Beck was the king!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Can anyone tell me the act on the main stage Sat night. He was a bald chap with a dj and two dancers with cows heads. I saw a quick glimpse of the show on the but was in a pub so couldn't hear it.

Any help would be appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Right Turn Clyde

LaGlisse wrote: »
    Watching a small bit of RTE's coverage and listening to Newstalks chris o donoghue going on about the rave in the woods assured me that im not missing out on much here!.

There wasn't many people with your type of attitude at it this year, and that's what made it so good. It was positive people having fun together. I've never felt so at ease at an Irish music festival before.

I don't know what Chris O'Donoghue had to say about the 'rave in the woods', but I wouldn't take much notice of him either way. This is someone that still gets hot under the collar when the Catholic Chuch is being criticised. In 2014. So he's probably not best placed to comment on the thousands of people dancing their asses off to pumping techno

It's a shame you missed out. Maybe next year you can join us.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

There's about 6 people in the tent, Jimi Hendrix he is not

Just watched, it's pretty dire, but that's from the other voices tent I think, not the Cosby tent where he did his main set.

• Advertisement
    Snarky Snark Snark

Where there as many tracksuits types and oxygen fans at it this year?

I thought it was quiet bad last year.

I heard the crowd was younger again this year.

Not much younger than last year, more young people wankered floating about yesterday and last night than the previous two evenings but that's to be expected.

Snarky Snark Snark

Can anyone tell me the act on the main stage Sat night. He was a bald chap with a dj and two dancers with cows heads. I saw a quick glimpse of the show on the but was in a pub so couldn't hear it.

Any help would be appreciated.

That was the PSB on Friday night

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Right Turn Clyde

Where there as many tracksuits types and oxygen fans at it this year?

I thought it was quiet bad last year.

I heard the crowd was younger again this year.

The people were great. I seen feck all 'Oxegen types' at it. Honestly, I think the crowd is as good as it's ever been. The age profile has never been as broad, and it's really taken off with families from the surrounding towns, which is nice to see. And there's nothing wrong with young people being present. Isn't it great that so many of them want to check out new music and have a good time? They're not all getting rat-arsed and killing each other. Let's not turn into England, with its institutional hatred of young people.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Looks like the ticket situation has gone back to what it was like before this year and last year. Except way earlier. Be interesting to see if people who got benefit of loyalty/early bird tickets the last 2 years and line-up details will buy this early..

Presume they'll go up to €194.50 after 30th Sept but no idea how long they'll be on sale for that price. Kinda short on details from them at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

That was the PSB on Friday night

Cheers mate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭blondeonblonde

Excellent weekend this year. Great variety of line up, everything from bluegrass & country to house, techno, and more. Thought the Friday line up was patchy though. Only one act in Electric arena & that whole side of the venue was noticeably quiet. Sunday on the other hand was an amazing line up. Needs to be more done for those that do make it down on Friday, not just for Sunday day trippers. Still an epic weekend though & great atmosphere, no hassle or aggro around. Roll on next year!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

Called down yesterday and tore into the day, sat down for only 10 mins between 2pm and 4am. Great day in fairness. King kong company closing the salty dog was probably the highlight.

For what I saw I think the crowd was a bit better than last year, and with changes to campsite meant that you could stay for the undesireables and not be too far away from the main arena.

Seems complaining about a festival being too crowded is going to go a deaf ears, between this years b&s and ep. But it wasnt absolute carnage like I feared.

I think the festival needs to kick on in the knowledge it will sell out again next year and solidify the line up more taking back bands that longitude have been nabbing from them and bring back a full friday line up. And arcadia.

Saying that its great to see that at heart its still more or less an alternative music festival and they wont be compulsed to book the likes of the killers or AM just to get people in the gate.

Its a pity theres less crazys and randomers like there used be though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,510 ✭✭✭✭fits

Officially more tiring than cycling 100km (did Sean Kelly last week) and I skipped Friday, stayed sober yesterday, and had a bed to sleep in... not been a productive morning...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

I think the line up could have been spread out a bit more evenly across the weekend too. It felt like so many acts I wanted to see were crammed into the Sunday and barely anything on Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

First time at it this year. Really special weekend. Great crowd, highlights for me were james murphy on the Friday, everyone in that tent was up for a seriously good time. Chic were predictably incredible, didn't stop dancing for a second. The eskies deserve a shout out for their set on the earthship on Saturday as well, great fun. Sunday night for me belonged to,I'll attempt the spelling, attencion bebe, also on the earthship. A load of brass, and 90s classics, maniac, samba di jeneiro etc. just what the doctor ordered when energy levels are falling at 1 o clock on a Sunday night.

So much to be found around every corner. Stumbled into caravan-oke yesterday and belted out the bare necessities with my mates and some kids. Sums the whole experience up really. Roll on next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭johnnykilo

Anyone bought tickets using the loyalty code today? Getting a message saying the code TicketMaster emailed me is "not in the system"

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭LaGlisse

meh, enough negativity for today, im tired

Snarky Snark Snark

LaGlisse wrote: »
    No he was just saying he was at it. Which is my problem, the fact that someone like him is there at all

That's kinda the point of it though, anyone can go to anything, you don't get to put up a barrier and say "sorry bud, you're just not cool enough or you won't fit in". I am the dullest middle aged fart on the planet and had i not been completely and utterly nick nacked had intended on heading down to it to see what it was like.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭cruhoortwunk

johnnykilo wrote: »
    Anyone bought tickets using the loyalty code today? Getting a message saying the code TicketMaster emailed me is "not in the system"
    Same here. I got an email from '1 or 2 picnics' and another mail for '3 or more'. Both had the same code and it only works for '1/2 picnics' option

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

That's kinda the point of it though, anyone can go to anything, you don't get to put up a barrier and say "sorry bud, you're just not cool enough or you won't fit in". I am the dullest middle aged fart on the planet and had i not been completely and utterly nick nacked had intended on heading down to it to see what it was like.

it was hopping. Joy Orbison the best of the three nights for me, couldnt get into Bodikka last night for some reason, just wasn't feeling it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Just back - thoughts.

Another good 'un, but never going to recapture the first couple of years. Gotten very much beholden to the corporate buck (man).

Debbie Harry has lost much of the power in her voice since I saw her last at Vicar Street. Rapture was great though, and the rest of the band are as vital as ever.

The Trampz at the Trailerpark were fab again, though due to Facebook misinfo, missed the start.

Booka Brass Band at the Salty Dog failed to do it for me. Probably should have stuck with PSB, though their pared down show didn't hold a candle to their last EP outing.

Benjamin Booker knows how to rock out. Dunno why it came across as Father Ted on the telly, but lots of energy in the room. ****e vocals sound quality mind.

Omar Soulyman divided our bunch, but I was in the love it camp. I particularly liked the roadies behind stage going for full on Borat dance stylings.

Portishead destroyed the notion that they couldn't win over the main stage at EP. Powerful performance, and, it has to be said, great sound.

The 'Chic organisation' may have the groove and the hits, but I just can't take any more of Nile's ego. And 'Like a Virgin' is a crap tune.

Moko didn't show. Boo!

Nenah Cherry is seemingly revitalised with the sequencer brothers backing, and still looks drop-dead-gorgeous. Remarkably happy and full of beans. Left feeling very positive.

And then there was Jungle. They may have been great, but the sound quality was desperate - just a muddy distorted mess. It had been iffy for Nenah Cherry too, but she battled through. The wall of sound and high voices of Jungle just died a death. Was told it wasn't so bad right up front.

Beck, despite all the messing about, also knows how the work the crowd, and put on a great show. The thetan levels were high.

Had to concede defeat and abandon plans to check out Outkast and The King Kong Company. My legs were opposed to any more standing. That meant i got to see Richie Egan /Jape in Jerry Fish - fantastic performance of Floating.

Again Kinara and the Polish pulled pork BBQ lads in Trailerpark provided great scram. Silver medal to the Dublin Pie people, and the (overpriced) Home Fries stall.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 ifwah

How do you get the discount code?unfortunately I've missed the last 2years but been to 5,I haven't received a code from ticketmaster and I don't think I got one last year either,I've bought tickets from ticket master online for each year though

Snarky Snark Snark

alastair wrote: »
    Benjamin Booker knows how to rock out. Dunno why it came across as Father Ted on the telly, but lots of energy in the room. ****e vocals sound quality mind.....
    -snip-
    Had to concede defeat and abandon plans to check out Outkast and The King Kong Company. My legs were opposed to any more standing. That meant i got to see Richie Egan /Jape in Jerry Fish - fantastic performance of Floating.

The BB set on tele was not the Cosby tent, was in the other voices (i think) tent, there were only about 6 at it incl the camera man.

You're not the only one with sore legs, my legs and feet are screaming at me for what i did to them over the weekend, think losing it to Beck last night was the final straw for them, wound up sitting on a nice dry spot at the back of the electric arena for Mogwai for the rest of my picnic (must remember this actually, as the stage is in a slight hollow and the view from there was grand (i had a little pair of olympus binoculars with me) and the sound was fine too)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,545 ✭✭✭Duff

Just home. Shook isn't the word. Had a fantastic weekend though. Bar the pissy rain on Friday when I was setting my tent up, the weather was grand. Some of my highlights were Rustie, Chic, OutKast, Hozier, London Grammar, Kaytranada, Trinity Orchestra, King Kong Company, St. Vincent, Pie Minister, that falafel place, Big Boi saying "Copper Head Jacks", Looking for my missus at Lily Allen and catching a tshirt she threw into the crowd and just the general buzz around B&S and Trenchtown.

Looking forward to my bed tonight. Whens the 'Electric Picnic 2015' thread going up? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭miller82

redser77 wrote: »
    Just got my loyalty code for next year's picnic & it's offering me the code for 2 or less years ...... Eehhhh no I've just done by 5th.

Of I got to send them a nice email ....
    me too.

whats the email address ?

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭Casshern88

miller82 wrote: »
    me too.

whats the email address ?

picnicoffer@festivalrepublic.com

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Rob094

Chic, James Vincent McMorrow (w/ Booka Brass) and Tune Yards were my highlights.

No wata in tha wata fountain

Copper Head Jacks

• Registered Users Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Probably a stupid q but for the instalment plan this year, did you have to avail of it before the discount deadline? As in this year that runs out on Sept 30th, but presumably the €194.50 option will last for a few months after that. If it does, could you still get on the instalment plan then? Or would it be too late?

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Crumpets

The weekend has broken me. Cannot function today!

Highlight for me was Beck. Loved The Wailers and Hozier too.

Does that Pieminister place ever NOT have a giant queue?? Jaysus like!

Looking forward to next year already!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭terencemc

Anyone know the name of the band playing pop song covers in body and soul last night after midnight. (Tacky songs such as getting jiggy with it") The stage was that grass (hobbit style) covered one. They had some trumpet players...and a guy climbed on top of the stage and mooned the crowd....

I think it had "Transform" in their name but tried googling to no avail....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement