Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2014 ** NO TICKET DISCUSSION ALLOWED ** see new mod note

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

How do you get your loyalty code? Im on ticketmaster but cant find where i get it? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭wotswattage

terencemc wrote: »
    Anyone know the name of the band playing pop song covers in body and soul last night after midnight. (Tacky songs such as getting jiggy with it") The stage was that grass (hobbit style) covered one. They had some trumpet players...and a guy climbed on top of the stage and mooned the crowd....

I think it had "Transform" in their name but tried googling to no avail....

Attention Bébé?
    Great fun happy music to finish up the festival to.
    They played maniac 2000 near the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Jazzzman

my 2 cents;

good weekend but the line up was a major bummer

all too often i felt myself thinking 'i wish i was looking forward to seeing a band shortly'

i thought that a fair bit over the weekend

thought the crowd was OK - too many pretentious folk strolling about for my liking

people need to go and get proper smashed at these events - let the hair down

won't be bothering next year unless they sort the line up out

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭terencemc

thanks wotswattage. That was them. Pure class.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,258 ✭✭✭fafy

Some great highlights for me,
    one of those was Benjamin Booker in the Other Voices tent on saturday night, some of the performance is here, only about 50 ish in the tent at the time: http://www.rte.ie/player/ie/show/10319034/

Also, on Sunday night in the Other Voices tent, there was a really great lineup including St. Vincent, Asgeir, Little Green Cars, Nick Mulvey, Mick Flannery, Womans Hour, The Strypes and others

Caught Simple Minds, Sinead O'Connor, Metronomy(class!) London Grammar, Sbtrak and a few more, all quite good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea

Body is fooked! What a picnic! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭obezyana

What was the security like on entrance?

The GF and her friend got it in for free for the 2nd year running they just head up the Sunday get one of their friends to pass out their armbands and in they go. Personally I wouldn't do it but I wonder how rife that practice is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,258 ✭✭✭fafy

obezyana wrote: »
    What was the security like on entrance?

The GF and her friend got it in for free for the 2nd year running they just head up the Sunday get one of their friends to pass out their armbands and in they go. Personally I wouldn't do it but I wonder how rife that practice is.

They checked regularly for wrist bands, plus checked all bags on the way in for cans, alcohol etc. I also noticed, there were several random checks for bands at the campsite intersections.

Twas all fine though in fariness.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

fafy wrote: »
    Some great highlights for me,
    one of those was Benjamin Booker in the Other Voices tent on saturday night, some of the performance is here, only about 50 ish in the tent at the time: http://www.rte.ie/player/ie/show/10319034/

Also, on Sunday night in the Other Voices tent, there was a really great lineup including St. Vincent, Asgeir, Little Green Cars, Nick Mulvey, Mick Flannery, Womans Hour, The Strypes and others

Caught Simple Minds, Sinead O'Connor, Metronomy(class!) London Grammar, Sbtrak and a few more, all quite good.

Are they folk from the crowd invited on stage for Booker's gig?

Caught a good chunk of the Sunday night on rte radio, was very envious of anyone there, sounded class!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 redser77

miller82 wrote: »
    me too.

whats the email address ?

As there isn't any address on the email I got today (surprise!) I'll use the two addresses I used earlier in the year

Info[at]electricpicnic.ie
    Picnicoffer[at]electricpicnic.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Lester Freamon

A massive thumbs up for me in general. Some thoughts...

Highlights:
    - Asgeir,
    - Glass Animals in LBT,
    - 2nd half of Beck (missed first half as I was at Asgeir but it was deadly what I did see)
    - tUnE yArDs
    - Annie Mac
    - Le Galaxie Disco
    - Jungle
    - The Wailers
    - the sound in most of the tents seemed very good
    - Toilet system seemed to work well everywhere from what I could see
    - Food options great as always
    - The Scottish security staff seemed sound out in general (special mention to the dude with the dreadlocks manning the entrance to Joplin campsite....top bloke!)
    - plenty of space in Joplin and Chaplin which was good ...I hear Festival Republic are talking about increasing capacity again next year :(
    - the weather!! (despite Friday's rain ....it was excellent overall)
    - the good ground in Stradbally. It never gets as muddy as Glastonbury or Oxegen would have.

Lowlights:
    - I didn't see any trouble but I feel there is a slight Oxegen type crowd and vibe creeping to the parts of the Oscar Wilde and Hendrix camp sites. The gathering of certain tents near the food stalls in the Hendrix and the mess surrounding them was a disgrace. I would not have camped there for any money. A good few dodgy heads floating around there too (Although 90% of the crowd were bang on)
    - Sound on the main stage not great at times
    - Pet Shop Boys very disappointing. Looked like they are going through the motions.
    - Trying to sleep in the Joplin campsite while the rave in the woods is still going on. Even with 12 hours of booze in me, it was a pointless exercise. The bass is phenomenal!
    - People hanging around the campsites too much all day or people coming back at 5am and talking/shouting/singing absolute sh*te sitting at gazebos. I know this will probably never change....posh camping for me next year perhaps.
    - The crowd hanging around Duke Demont last night had a touch of the Swedish House Mafia in Phoenix Park I thought. Young, knackerish, off their heads and messy. Thankfully, they were very much in the minority overall in my opinion.
    - Hearing the ambulance on Friday night and learning on Saturday about the tent going on fire and the poor girl still in St James. Hope she will be ok.

The positives still out-weight the negative for me. At €154....I'll be back in 2015 for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

As far as scummy behaviour goes, I did hear that some lad was set upon by a group of people while walking through the woods and had to be brought to hospital. Fairly ****ty.

I was camping in Hendrix and I could hear people arguing in the early hours. Sounded like some lads were attempting to get into a tent with some girls who definitely didn't want them there. Last night was fairly rowdy in general in the campsite, I thought.

Some really annoying fcukers at Outkast too, but generally didn't encounter much trouble at all. I got a very positive vibe about the place pretty much all weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

terencemc wrote: »
    Anyone know the name of the band playing pop song covers in body and soul last night after midnight. (Tacky songs such as getting jiggy with it") The stage was that grass (hobbit style) covered one. They had some trumpet players...and a guy climbed on top of the stage and mooned the crowd....

I think it had "Transform" in their name but tried googling to no avail....

was down there myself. Band of the weekend for me. Unreal craic. The chap in the crowd with the trumpet was hilarious as well! Constant dancing. I'll definitely try check them out again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭obezyana

They checked regularly for wrist bands, plus checked all bags on the way in for cans, alcohol etc. I also noticed, there were several random checks for bands at the campsite intersections.

It must be lax enough if they got in for free for the 2nd year running and she is just home and said another one of her friends got in aswell.

To me it's a bit ****ty of them not buying tickets but they seem to be getting away with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

zsha wrote: »
    Can anybody give me an idea of prices for the luxury camper areas.....tryn get husband interested in wknd tickets for nxt yr!!!!

They're a waste of money. We had a yurt. It was 520 for 3 of us (a 4 man tent). The tent itself was fine, the duvet that was supplied was nearly transparent it was so thin (I would have died of the cold if I hadn't had a spare blanket). And we were surrounded by little f&ckers who had mass booked about 5 of the yurts beside us and were sleeping 6 (at least) to a tent. So it was our own personal Jimi Hendrix experience with the shouting and roaring all night and drinking outside the tent all day. Basically what we'd booked the thing to avoid, in otherwords.

I really felt bad for the lady in the tipi at the back though, she was crying outside on the phone on Sunday morning after no sleep the night before. Those things are a grand each I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Jazzzman

I really felt bad for the lady in the tipi at the back though, she was crying outside on the phone on Sunday morning after no sleep the night before. Those things are a grand each I think.
    lol!

crying because of lack of sleep at a festival...heard it all now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭miller82

the horror

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

I thought security was quite relaxed at it, had a backpack with me at all times with rain gear, any time I went through the gate, I just approached em with the bag zips opened and was waved straight through.

We were talking with some girls in Pink Moon who had booked there but stayed with their fellas in Hendrix on the Friday night (not sure why), phones, wallets nicked, they had seen lots of dodgy behaviour, people going tent to tent calling out a random girls name and then opening a tent and sticking heads and hands in for a quick grabby.

On Friday night in PM, i had told a few lads who were "looking for hendrix" to **** right off back over the fence from whence they came (not the brightest idea in fairness).

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭hugeglobe

King Kong Company at body and soul on Saturday was definitely the best discovery I made. Had to go for round 2 on Sunday they were absolutely pumping!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,510 ✭✭✭✭fits

Jazzzman wrote: »
    lol!

crying because of lack of sleep at a festival...heard it all now

its rubbish camping beside a crowd of eejits to be fair... and you would think the boutique area would be quieter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

fits wrote: »
    its rubbish camping beside a crowd of eejits to be fair... and you would think the boutique area would be quieter.

Exactly. That's what you're paying for (you think). And unlike the rest of the camping ground, you're allocated your tent in the boutique area, you can't just move the d&mn thing when you realise who you're stuck beside.

Anyway, waste of money.

If you're paying upwards of 500 to get a camping experience different to the normal campsites you should get what you're paying for. People are well within their rights to be pissed off about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭Tigger99

Yeah I'm surprised she didn't say something, after paying that much I would. And the whole thingis that iit's supposed to be quieter with security keeping an eye on noise and stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,781 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

I would strongly recommend pink moon as a happy medium. Absolutely no trouble in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

That was my first ever festival and was genuinely the best weekend of my life so far (only 20 :P).

Foals were absolutely crazy, got right up the front where he came into the crowd. Two Steps, Twice was amazing. London Grammar completely lived up to my expectation.

Other highlights include Annie Mac, Trinity Orchestra, Chic, Outkast, Beck.

A special mention to Portishead who absolutely blew me away. That was a special gig to catch.

And possibly my favourite part of it all, Rave in the Woods. Oh my God, was there every night once the main stage finished until 4/5am every night. That means there was about 12 hours raving in the woods alone. Safe to say that my jaw and lips are in absolute bits now, worth it :cool:

Edit - Seen a good few lads get arrested in the Hendrix just beside the path where the food stalls were. No idea what it was about though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Tigger99 wrote: »
    Yeah I'm surprised she didn't say something, after paying that much I would. And the whole thingis that iit's supposed to be quieter with security keeping an eye on noise and stuff.
    is it?

i thought it was just some pre-erected tents/accomodation with a few less busy/free facilities?

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭MojoRisinnnn

Jazzzman wrote: »
    my 2 cents;

good weekend but the line up was a major bummer

all too often i felt myself thinking 'i wish i was looking forward to seeing a band shortly'

i thought that a fair bit over the weekend

thought the crowd was OK - too many pretentious folk strolling about for my liking

people need to go and get proper smashed at these events - let the hair down

won't be bothering next year unless they sort the line up out

It's very rare at a festival that you will be going to see bands you would be incredibly familiar with but that's also the beauty of it when you have to check out random acts, I only wanted to see about 4 or 5 bands but left thinking London Grammar and Wolf Alice were two of the best acts I seen over the weekend and I had never heard of the m , it forces you into seeing new acts!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭Tigger99

Yip. Though this year definitely had more security presence than last year, supposed to be every 30 mins patrol. Also you can't get in without their wristband so tends to keep a lot of messers away.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,953 ✭✭✭paulbok

Back in the land of the living now. Brilliant weekend.

Didn't have too many bands that I really wanted to see going, so just went with the flow with friends. That wasn't a problem as that's part of the appeal of EP. Caught a few bands I didn't know much of before and liked them.

Music Highlights;

Utterly amazing were
    Little Green Cars in other voices on Friday.
    Foals
    London Grammar. horrible rumour going round on Saturday that they'd cancelled. Thankfully untrue, what a voice.
    Portishead. Had reservations that they would be too low key for Sat night. Despite having a chronic bad back Sat evening and actually had to go home after Portishead, they were fantastic, and if I wasn't hunched over like Peig Sayers with pain, I'd have been able to dance to most of their tunes.
    Mogwai - at their ear splitting finest, great way to finish out the weekend.

Notable mentions to;
    Beck
    Metronomy
    St Vincent
    Blondie
    Annie Mac

As for the organisation, I did notice the bigger crowd on Friday but it wasn't an issue. I only had to queue for the bar once over the weekend, on Sun evening, and the toilets were rarely packed out. Even the girls said their toilet queues were shorter than usual.
    Now we were blessed with the weather so if it had been raining it may not have been as pleasant around the site.
    If they are going to run with the increased crowd then they should put on a bit more on the Friday night, even a few dj's or up and coming bands in the empty tents would be good.
    The searches going in to the site were a pain as always and there still seemed to be more smuggled in booze that previously. While the longer bar hours were good in one way, it meant that it was later before you could bring in cans at night. They really need to compromise more on this as it's really expensive to be going to the bar until 12pm/1am. Maybe they could keep the bars open to 12 but still let in limited cans from 10:30?
    The crowd was fine, didn't notice many skobies (but I wasn't camping) and there were a good few youngsters about but they didn't stick out as much as they had in previous years. That said, the 'flowers in the hair' bands and fat arses spilling out of short-shorts that some of the young 'wans had, did get annoying after a while.
    The food option was excellent as usual, Kinvara was the stand out for me.
    I liked the heineken sound atlas area for no other reasons that the 'look at me' brigade seemed to congregate there thus were absent from the rest of the site.
    Still needed more on site ATM's though.
    The drop off/taxi rank in the car park across from the main entrance was a genius idea as well for those travelling in and out.

Overall I have to say, despite the increase in the crowd, it was a better EP than last year.

note to self: - Additional things to bring next year;
    1. Strong pain killers for my back.
    2. more cash, though I had plenty for the weekend but pretty much ran out on Sunday night.

• Advertisement

Was disappointed that FKA twigs was a no-show. She was on my list of must-see acts.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement