Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2014 ** NO TICKET DISCUSSION ALLOWED ** see new mod note

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭cometogether

London Grammar were incredible. Was talking to someone there who reckons people will look back on that gig in an 'Arcade Fire 2005' sense, they may well be right.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,510 ✭✭✭✭fits

London Grammar were incredible. Was talking to someone there who reckons people will look back on that gig in an 'Arcade Fire 2005' sense, they may well be right.

I dunno, I didn't get them at all. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭mickeyboymel

Anyone know who the DJ's playing at the Beer Frontier were on Saturday Night? I stayed far longer than I should have but the mix of music was a great prelude to Chic...lots of 70's & 80's stuff with an American Newscasters voice between tracks....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

I had to run out of london grammar because a girl from melbourne fell in love with me and the feeling wasn't mutual. could've been the best gig of the decade but I was doing the melbourne shuffle straight out the door and into omar souleyman for a nice clap along

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭civilnug

Great weekend.

Sohn was my personal highlight. Cracking set to a small crowd in the Little Big Tent.

Sky Sports News deadline day has to be the ideal couch fodder for post picnic blues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

great weekend. only annoying thing was the increase in capacity on the sunday. Went into a tent for la galaxie on the sat and was loads of space but then on the sunday went into duke damont and couldn't even get in.. highlights were foals outkast la galaxie

• Registered Users Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

A massive thumbs up for me in general. Some thoughts...

- plenty of space in Joplin and Chaplin which was good ...I hear Festival Republic are talking about increasing capacity again next year :(

Out of curiosity, where did you see this? Think I saw it mentioned in the Mirror but couldn't find anyone else saying it. Wouldn't be too surprised though.

Mixed feelings about this really. Good to see the festival doing well and being sustainable. But (not trying to sound like a music snob) wonder will it start catering for more mainstream tastes (spouse to a certain extent it does already with Lilly Allen, Paulo Nutini etc for instance if it expends on attendance each year?

After making the late decision of going to EP on Thursday, I'm really happy that I did so. I have being to the early ones when it was a one day in 04, the magnificent legendary 2 day weekend in 05 and this one was pretty cool, but then I was blessed to have a guest wristband and to camp in the Crew Campsite where it was really easy to sleep.

Highlights for me were;
    Beck
    Simple Minds
    London Grammer
    James Vincent McMorrow
    **** Robot

And lovely thai food on sale.

Roll on next year..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,258 ✭✭✭fafy

NoDrama wrote: »

Highlights for me were;
    Beck
    Simple Minds
    London Grammer
    James Vincent McMorrow
    **** Robot

And lovely thai food on sale.

Was that the Wok n Roll ?

Et there every day, sometimes twice, great curries, noodles etc, why change, and they had two areas, one by main stage, one on opp. side so very handy to get to.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Jaysus Beck was incredible. An absolutely brilliant showman with a **** tonne of cracking song, highlight of the weekend for me.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Benjamin Brooker. Did any one else catch him. Was up at barrier for the set. Best so far by a mile

Yea thought he was superb , would love to see him maybe in Workmans or Sugar Club
    There's about 6 people in the tent, Jimi Hendrix he is not

As someone said it must have been the other voices stage that was shown because the tent got nicely full just before he came on.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

Yea thought he was superb , would love to see him maybe in Workmans or Sugar Club

As someone said it must have been the other voices stage that was shown because the tent got nicely full just before he came on.

I watched the RTE coverage on the player earlier, and it was the Other Voices stage they showed him at. I thought he was brilliant in the Cosby tent on the Saturday. I didn't know his stuff before I headed in, but would love to see him again in a smaller venue too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

A couple of nice quotes from "the ticket"

"Electric picnic is like a refugee camp for alcoholics"

"Electric Picnic is a fun prison: “They lock you into a field for three days and then they let you out at the end,” says Leabhras Gorman, who is trying to choose between Bonnie Tyler and London Grammar."

And a link to drone footage "http://www.irishtimes.com/blogs/ontherecord/2014/08/31/electric-picnic-day-three-a-big-hand-for-the-ticket/"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

Highlights for me were Blondie, Chic and Outkast.
    Dancing in the field to Chic with all the crowd bopping away made it feel like an old school disco, real feel good music and everyone seemed in top form.
    Love Outkast so myself and a friend went up the front for the first few tunes but we got stomped on and pushed around by so many aggro heads, girls and guys, that we ended up moving back. There was also loads of idiots with girls on their shoulders falling all around the place and blocking the view, such a pain. I was seriously pissed off at having to move as I am a big fan and I noticed loads of people leaving as soon as the likes of Hey Ya was over and that really annoyed me because I could've been up there for the whole thing but sure I'm just glad I got to see them.

I found the searching really all over the place this year, I couldn't get a sealed bottle of water in but on the Saturday night I tripped over an empty 1 litre glass bottle of captain morgans at the main stage and there were people all around with alcohol. I hate the way they make up the rules as they go along, no sealed bottles of water (?) but you seemed to be able to bring in cans of booze all day long...

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭DrBass

D.Q wrote: »
    Joy orbison is absolutely ****ing KILLIING it in the woods. Serious set, banging techno for two hours. Pumping it.

Long shot - but - Is there any chance that this set was recorded? One of the highlights for me

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Great weekend, much better than last year alot less trouble around imho.

DEf cant go for the next few years so glad I left with happy memories. Much more like 2005 / 06 etc, I wasn't there for 10 / 11 12, dont know what happened in the mean time but its fixed now!

My highlights were Pet Shop Boys and Sinead O Connor.

Again King Kong Company x 2, ignited both Body and Soul and the Salty Dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

DrBass wrote: »
    Long shot - but - Is there any chance that this set was recorded? One of the highlights for me

I was in no condition to operate technology unfortunately. Yeah it was incredible wasn't it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

NoDrama wrote: »

Highlights for me were;
    Beck
    Simple Minds..

I was so looking forward to Simple Minds, great start with Waterfront but man, given the price of main stage acts, there must have been a good 10 grands worth of lalala laa, lalala le lalalas for Don't you. I was really disappointed, they could have squeezed in a couple more if they hadn't faffed about with stuff like that, a Ghostdancing or She's a river or similar would really not have gone astray and would have been great for that sort of arena.

Love song was epic though!

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭DepecheHead101

I was so looking forward to Simple Minds, great start with Waterfront but man, given the price of main stage acts, there must have been a good 10 grands worth of lalala laa, lalala le lalalas for Don't you. I was really disappointed, they could have squeezed in a couple more if they hadn't faffed about with stuff like that, a Ghostdancing or She's a river or similar would really not have gone astray and would have been great for that sort of arena.

Love song was epic though!
    They really ripped the arsehole off Don't You.

I was working the bars for the weekend. So I feel duty bound to apologize for the absolute retardation [no spell check on that? nice one] of not giving out corks on the bottles. Everyone was absolutely lovely though. What can I say. From my own perspective probably the gentlest festival of that size I've been at.

Metronomy. That is all. By jesus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

I hadn't been to EP since 2008.

High points
    - That German food stall selling bratwurst and pulled pork rolls.
    - Hanging out at The Salty Dog.
    - Good buzz off strangers.
    - Pet Shop Boys
    - Clean Bandit
    - Portishead
    - Body and Soul all weekend

Low points
    - Found Oscar Wilde fairly mental. Toilets were shocking.
    - Two bad nights' sleep.
    - Inconsistent security checks. Had to turn out pockets, wallet, bag every time. Everything searched. And then seeing loads of people inside the arena with cans.

After 25 years of festivals I think my body is saying no to camping again. Seriously wrecked today despite coming home yesterday evening. A few consecutive hours kip would make all the difference - may consider a hotel or B&B in future.

PS - anybody see Slowdive?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

DrBass wrote: »

Oh I'd absolutely love to see that. But as was said, I doubt many who were there were in any sort of state to utilise technology very well :pac:

If anyone has any links to maybe a similar set please do post!

Oh BTW as much as I loved Outkast, Dublin is not Ireland. It's a huge bugbear of mine. There is no conceivable way you can travel consciously to a location and not be aware of where it is. It really separates the happy to be there acts from the just another date ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

Beck Beck Beck! I'm a bit of a fanboy, and was sooo looking forward to it having seen him twice many years ago, but if anything he surpassed expectations. There was a bunch of great fans up the front and we just had an absolute ball. Definitely one of my all time fav gigs, and I've seen many!

Portishead were kind of incredible too. I wouldn't count myself as a fan, but their set mesmerized me. I wandered around as my crew were at Omar (I lasted 10 minutes, wow, seriously?! It's not even so bad it's good!), and ended up back at the seating just staring in awe and taking it all in.

Foals were hugely enjoyable, much better than last year's longitude but mainly due to the darkness and lightshow/atmosphere.

Saw a bucket load of other stuff, but yeah those 3 were enough to make it a massive success for me!

The bigger crowd actually didn't have any adverse affect for me. Those seats at the back of the main stage are a great idea for us 30+ers!

2 big thumbs up!

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Reded

Great festival, great atmosphere, lots of happy people! Regardless of line-up debate you will find something cool around every corner.

Downside for me was looking at how people have utter disregard for littering Hendrix looked like Calcutta! I am a regular festival goer and party animal but never leave my crap for anyone! How difficult is it to fill a refuse bag??? I feel for the clean up teams this week!

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭mrscloudatlas

Struggling to post Im so wrecked. Had a great weekend apart from a frightful fire in pink moon campsite Sat morn at 5am. Woman in her 30's was taken to hospital with serious burns. We were camped quite near to it. I can still hear her screams for help ringing in my ears . Still a bit shook about it tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

Reded wrote: »
    Great festival, great atmosphere, lots of happy people! Regardless of line-up debate you will find something cool around every corner.

Downside for me was looking at how people have utter disregard for littering Hendrix looked like Calcutta! I am a regular festival goer and party animal but never leave my crap for anyone! How difficult is it to fill a refuse bag??? I feel for the clean up teams this week!

They need to bring back the cup deposit scheme for the main site and some leave no trace camping scheme. Sure its a nuisance and some clever lad will make a killing from collecting them all but it makes the site way cleaner.

From all the usual complaints you hear, this year the litter seems to be the biggest one.

One thing, was there anywhere selling cider?

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭mrscloudatlas

No cider which is a big bug bare for me. Hate beer and Im not a young wan. €8.50 for a mohito? Dont think so. Had to force pints of €6.50 Tiger beer down me all weekend. Damn you Heineken!

lbj666 wrote: »
    One thing, was there anywhere selling cider?
    Nah. Magic of festival branding. The amount of people looking for it was unreal. We went in to the town to get chipper and there was a stack of Druids in the Supervalu that was eaten up by wear-a-bindi-once-a-year pricks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Cycling Insomniac

nlgbbbblth wrote: »
    Low points
    - Found Oscar Wilde fairly mental. Toilets were shocking.
    - Two bad nights' sleep.
    - Inconsistent security checks. Had to turn out pockets, wallet, bag every time. Everything searched. And then seeing loads of people inside the arena with cans.

Really? I never got more than a pat-down. Although, I was always wearing a shirt, tie and blazer. Maybe they thought nobody dressed that formally could be up to anything. Worked a charm anyway, sold so many yokes on main stage (just kidding).

For me, I loved talking and getting to know strangers (made great friends with the gang in the tent next door). Didn't meet anyone who wasn't sound all weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Great weekend, even if I didnt get there until Saturday. Black Crow chicken my were intro to EP, setting me up well for the rest of it. Really liked Beck; the Amazing few and Eskies were awesome in body & soul, so many other good bands I cant even remember because there were so many.
    One or two duds (including Outkast who were rubbish!) but thankfully you can just walk away and find something else to listen to.
    My sons tent was broken into twice, but luckily he had nothing worth taking in it. All quiet in our campsite, so happy days.
    Met some lovely strangers over the weekend and had a great time, mainly wandering on my own while the rest of the gang did their own thing too.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement