Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2014 ** NO TICKET DISCUSSION ALLOWED ** see new mod note

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

Highlight of the weekend for me has to be Beck. Really cool crowd who you could see were all into it.

Did anyone else seem to think that Nile Rodgers was a little bit keen to tell everyone about who he's worked with?

We saw the Minutes in Salty Dog and they brought out the Booka Brass Band...which was very nice.

I enjoyed them so much I went back to see them in Jerry Fish.

St.Vincent was very cool, she is some performer.

We camped in Janis Joplin and I have to say I was fair delighted that we weren't in Hendrix as it resembled a shanty town. The Scottish security man with the dreadlocks was probably the soundest lad you could meet. In fact, all of the Scottish lads in the campsite were bang on.

We caught a bit of Shane McGowan,Peter coonan and Jim Sheridan in the literary tent, by god McGowan doesn't look well.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭DepecheHead101

"In addition to writing some of the biggest hits of all time, I have also worked with Daft Punk!"

Yeah Rodgers could come off as egotistical but I'd chalk it down to showmanship. He seemed to be having a total ball of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

No cider which is a big bug bare for me. Hate beer and Im not a young wan. €8.50 for a mohito? Dont think so. Had to force pints of €6.50 Tiger beer down me all weekend. Damn you Heineken!

There was a place in Trailer Park selling Cuba Libres and G&Ts for €5. Lovely friendly staff there too. They had other options on the menu but I can't remember exactly what.

I had vodka and tonic in 500ml water bottles, and had no hassle getting them in every day. At the bag/body search, they saw them and passed no comment. On Saturday, one of the security guys took my bottle out and examined the seal and just handed it back to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,548 ✭✭✭✭siblers

I snuck spirits in these small sealable plastic bags and stuck them down my welly, it's pure down to chance to what extent you get checked. A lot of the security guards were fairly exhausted around midnight so would just let you stroll in. Lack of a cider was a joke though, paying €5 for a what was about 2/3 of a pint of Desperados isn't ideal.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,548 ✭✭✭✭siblers

London Grammar were incredible. Was talking to someone there who reckons people will look back on that gig in an 'Arcade Fire 2005' sense, they may well be right.

Was pretty amazing, crowd were superb for it. Never expected that a crowd could be so lively for that type of music, Metal & Dust at the end was pretty nuts :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Oh BTW as much as I loved Outkast, Dublin is not Ireland. It's a huge bugbear of mine. There is no conceivable way you can travel consciously to a location and not be aware of where it is. It really separates the happy to be there acts from the just another date ones.
    they don't travel consciously really though. most international acts are picked up from Dublin airport by promoters and driven to their hotel in Dublin, then driven to their gig, then driven directly back to their hotel in Dublin, then to Dublin airport the next day.

i'd say many over the weekend thought they were in Dublin too tbf.

it is annoying though.
    better than hearing how "it's great to be back in the UK" like some acts i've heard though!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

they don't travel consciously really though. most international acts are picked up from Dublin airport by promoters and driven to their hotel in Dublin, then driven to their gig, then driven directly back to their hotel in Dublin, then to Dublin airport the next day.

i'd say many over the weekend thought they were in Dublin too tbf.

it is annoying though.
    better than hearing how "it's great to be back in the UK" like some acts i've heard though!

They were probably asleep in the car down given they were in Coppers the night before and to be honest an hour out of town is still considered to be part of the same city in a lot cities in the states.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Right Turn Clyde

My Friday Highlights

Foals. A bit of an obvious choice, but I'm a huge fan. Yannis Philippakis was as aloof as always, but he knocked it out of the park, and that's what matters.

Tradiohead. Radiohead cover band. Guitar, violin, accordion, and a charming singer with the cheekiest smile of the weekend. Majestic stuff.

James Murphy. A quality DJ set from the LCD Soundsytem man. Murphy is a long time DJ, unlike most rock jocks, so he knows how to work a system. This set had it all for me. The perfect balance of attitude and fun. There's nothing quite like hearing 40 year old disco tracks on a big system.

Sunil Sharp. Unless I'm mistaken, Sunil was the only Irish person to headline one of the large stages on Friday night. And what an honour it was for all of us minions on the forest floor. Boom! Boom! Boom! Boom!

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭DrBass

Oh I'd absolutely love to see that. But as was said, I doubt many who were there were in any sort of state to utilise technology very well :pac:

If anyone has any links to maybe a similar set please do post!

I was more thinking that the RBA would archive the sets that were played, a simple press 'record' function - its pretty doubtful tho -

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Meangadh

Just about to hit the hay, bloody wrecked but such a good weekend. My highlights were:

- London Grammar (I am so jealous of her voice and job. And she's beautiful. God damn.)
    - Le Galaxie (just a big huge party. Loved it)
    - Paulo Nutini (his voice is class and sweet Jesus he's so flippin hot)
    - Chic (hit after hit, everyone was dancing and singing for the whole thing)
    - Kelis (only caught the start but she was great, tent was hopping and she has an amazing voice too, something you don't really notice in a lot of her better known songs)
    - Hozier (didn't get to see all of him but he is brilliant. Again, what a singer. Really hope he continues in his success.)
    - Just hanging around Body and Soul, catching a few acts here and there. Just has a lovely atmosphere there.
    - Dancing my socks off to Spring Break in the Electric Ireland tent.
    - The food is so good. The choice is unbelievable. My favourites were Home Fries in Trailer Park, Pieminister (always a queue but it moves really fast), and A Pig's Tale. Wish I'd tried some more but there's only so much one can eat!
    - Despite the fact that I might consider nicer camping options for next year, I have to say everyone around us was so sound and great craic. A few fireworks\crackers went off a few times which was a bit scary but in fairness security were over straight away.

Downsides:
    - Not enough goes on on the Friday night. Would love to have caught a few other acts over the weekend but too much clashing. If there was more on on the Friday that might help that.
    - Men. Pissing f**king everywhere. And I mean literally right outside the fencing for the portaloos instead of just going in and using them. It's not like there were even queues. I can't understand it. It's so disgusting- pretty much at any time that I was walking around, I could see a man pissing somewhere. Use the effing toilets, you're not an animal.
    - It would be great to have cider available somewhere. I'm OK with beer but find it hard to stay on for the night. Wasn't drinking loads anyway, but just would have been nice.
    - Was only in the sun about an hour and got burnt. Had SPF on my face but I've a lovely farmer tan on my arms. My own fault!

Overall had a brilliant weekend, it's so well organised- 95% of the people there are so lovely, just there to enjoy themselves and allow everyone else to do the same. And the staff at all the stalls and shops, most of the security, the guards- in great form and bang on. Roll on 2015, can't wait to see the lineup they come up with!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

Crumpets wrote: »
    Does that Pieminister place ever NOT have a giant queue?? Jaysus like!

It goes through the queue fairly quick though. Essentially they are sticking a pie, mashed potatos into a box ;)

We went to it twice this year.
    paulbok wrote: »
    I liked the heineken sound atlas area for no other reasons that the 'look at me' brigade seemed to congregate there thus were absent from the rest of the site.

Additional things to bring next year;

1. Strong pain killers for my back.

:rolleyes:

Ask some of the women with bags for painkillers. I had them on me all weekend. I literally never leave home with anti-inflammatories & pain killers - my back was fcuked at times over the weekend.

Oh BTW as much as I loved Outkast, Dublin is not Ireland. It's a huge bugbear of mine. There is no conceivable way you can travel consciously to a location and not be aware of where it is. It really separates the happy to be there acts from the just another date ones.

I agree this was really annoying. We are not Dublin. Ireland does not consist of Dublin and Dublin alone.
    Really? I never got more than a pat-down. Although, I was always wearing a shirt, tie and blazer. Maybe they thought nobody dressed that formally could be up to anything. Worked a charm anyway, sold so many yokes on main stage (just kidding).

I think a lot depended on what gate you came in. There was no searching at all coming in from Family camping.

It was pat downs coming from Salty Dog - got through easily enough on Friday.
    However coming through from Jimi Hendrix on Sat night was fcuking madness. It nearly turned into a riot at one stage. They had the crowd divided into the two different tents. About 4 security staff on one side - getting through people fairly quick. The other tent/side had one security staff and he was practically strip searching people. There was hundreds trying to get through. Out of pure frustration people starting walking in through the exit, opening new barrier sections, coming through. Jumping the barriers, etc. It looked like at one stage, the whole lot were going to barge through.
    If the staff are going to search that methodically, then you have to put more staff on.

They did catch one fella with 200 E's in a tobacco tin coming through from JH on the Sat night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

They're a waste of money. We had a yurt. It was 520 for 3 of us (a 4 man tent). The tent itself was fine, the duvet that was supplied was nearly transparent it was so thin (I would have died of the cold if I hadn't had a spare blanket). And we were surrounded by little f&ckers who had mass booked about 5 of the yurts beside us and were sleeping 6 (at least) to a tent. So it was our own personal Jimi Hendrix experience with the shouting and roaring all night and drinking outside the tent all day. Basically what we'd booked the thing to avoid, in otherwords.

I really felt bad for the lady in the tipi at the back though, she was crying outside on the phone on Sunday morning after no sleep the night before. Those things are a grand each I think.

Sounds sh!t but you were just unlucky really. I've stayed there 3 times & have found it grand. Rarely see any 'little f&ckers' in there. Shame it didn't work out for you.
    Which company did you stay with?

Meangadh wrote: »
    Men. Pissing f**king everywhere. And I mean literally right outside the fencing for the portaloos instead of just going in and using them. It's not like there were even queues. I can't understand it. It's so disgusting- pretty much at any time that I was walking around, I could see a man pissing somewhere. Use the effing toilets, you're not an animal.

On Saturday evening I walked into a cubicle and was greeted by a tampon stuck in scutter. One yank of the flush got rid of it, but that was obviously one flush to much for the dirty cow that left it there. I also seen a woman taking a sh*t in the woods, about 5 feet from a packed pathway. And I seen a woman taking a piss behind an ice-cream van, which was surrounded by parents and children waiting on an otherwise appetising 99.

Men can be filthy. No complaints there. But women are on a different level, given half a chance. I walk my dog in Stradbally every weekend, and even he knows not to empty his bowels on the forest floor.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Meangadh

On Saturday evening I walked into a cubicle and was greeted by a tampon stuck in scutter. One yank of the flush got rid of it, but that was obviously one flush to much for the dirty cow that left it there. I also seen a woman taking a sh*t in the woods, about 5 feet from a packed pathway. And I seen a woman taking a piss behind an ice-cream van, which was surrounded by parents and children waiting on an otherwise appetising 99.

Men can be filthy. No complaints there. But women are on a different level, given half a chance. I walk my dog in Stradbally every weekend, and even he knows not to empty his bowels on the forest floor.

Oh I know, don't get me wrong- the way some women leave the portaloos (and toilets in general) is disgusting. Like flush at least FFS. But personally I only saw one woman peeing near the back of the main stage over the weekend, whereas I saw dozens and dozens of men at it. Just because they *can* easily go where they like, doesn't mean they should. The worst was every single time I went past the back of the seating area for the main stage there were lads peeing there, and a few minutes later, people would sit down on pretty much the exact spot cos they'd want somewhere to lean against when they sat down. It was manky. Just don't understand anyone, man or woman, who does that kind of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭slaneylad

Quick video from the woods Saturday night can someone tell me the name of it?

slaneylad wrote: »
    Quick video from the woods Saturday night can someone tell me the name of it?

Try asking the guys in the Electronic Music forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

I saw a girl taking a pee about 3pm Saturday daytime on the way up from the Comedy tent to Mindfield. She had her arse towards the fence and BF standing in front of her.
    The best part was the fence was open wire - so everyone from Mindfield could see her.

Shameless.

Queen-Mise wrote: »
    I saw a girl taking a pee about 3pm Saturday daytime on the way up from the Comedy tent to Mindfield. She had her arse towards the fence and BF standing in front of her.
    The best part was the fence was open wire - so everyone from Mindfield could see her.

Shameless.

I seen a girl in the men's urinals at one stage. She was standing beside her boyfriend and quite clearly checking out everyone's cocks. She tried to look at mine, but it was so shrivelled up from blue grenades that neither she, nor I, could see it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Beck Beck Beck! I'm a bit of a fanboy, and was sooo looking forward to it having seen him twice many years ago, but if anything he surpassed expectations. There was a bunch of great fans up the front and we just had an absolute ball. Definitely one of my all time fav gigs, and I've seen many!

Fangirl here! :D

I was up the front for him too! I sacrificed the end of St. Vincent to be at the main stage for when Lily Allen finished so I could get up close. I've been waiting so long to finally get to see him, he was one of the main reasons I bought a ticket. It completely lived up to my expectations, honestly. He's such an entertainer and seemed to be genuinely enjoying himself. I nearly died when he sang Debra with the Trapped in the Closet interlude. :pac:

It was nice to hear people singing along with some of the more stripped back tunes too. Seemed like a lot of pretty genuine fans turned up for him. I think everyone around me knew pretty much all the words to every song he sang.

On the topic of Outkast, I was really surprised to see them play Hootie Hoo. That's one of my all-time favourite Outkast tunes, was great to hear it live.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭zsha

We just went in on Sunday for the day. I had hoped to bring in my son and then drop him home after a few hours but was told that we couldn't bring him in and come out to bring him home, as on a day ticket you cant leave the field!! So I was annoyed about that! I don't see the problem, with if you buy a day ticket you can come out and go back in on the same day.....I don't understand why you're not allowed to do that!

The food was amazing, so much selection, expensive but would expect nothing more at a festival. But what a selection amazing....

The security was a bit mad! Like I never thought for one sec that they'd actually go through your bags literally rummage through them, I thought they'd just look in and that would be it etc. So I was surprised by that.
    With all the searching going on, I was still passing people on the field with cans upon cans and even boxes of cider....and it wasn't that late, the bars were still open at this time.

The stages, and areas were absolutely amazing, so much work went into them, wow incredible, hard to believe that I was actually in Stradbally.....
    People were so friendly and really were there just for a good time, the bar staff were great, and we rarely had to queue for any length and at the loos too, very short queuing so well done there.
    Seen some amazing bands, some new and some fabulous areas. Will def be checking them out again.

All in all we'd a great time, and a great experience, we'd def go again. Maybe the issue with the sun esp with kids might be addressed next year!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭GK1001

terencemc wrote: »
    Anyone know the name of the band playing pop song covers in body and soul last night after midnight. (Tacky songs such as getting jiggy with it") The stage was that grass (hobbit style) covered one. They had some trumpet players...and a guy climbed on top of the stage and mooned the crowd....

I think it had "Transform" in their name but tried googling to no avail....

That was attention bebe...looked them up earlier...great way to close out an epic weekend for me...called it after that and I'd have to say I'd put them in my top 3 for the weekend...I think they were as surprised as anyone at the crowd they got and the energy they created...just brilliant

zsha wrote: »
    We just went in on Sunday for the day. I had hoped to bring in my son and then drop him home after a few hours but was told that we couldn't bring him in and come out to bring him home, as on a day ticket you cant leave the field!! So I was annoyed about that! I don't see the problem, with if you buy a day ticket you can come out and go back in on the same day.....I don't understand why you're not allowed to do that!

I agree. It's such a ridiculous rule. There's actually a few smaller stages outside of the main arena, most notably the Salty Dog stage, which is quite popular. So as a day tripper you cannot leave the main arena to see artists on those stages, or you'll be locked out. I'm simply dumfounded by the stupidity of it all.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Yea surely if they just give Sunday people a Sunday wristband

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Need help finding a band guys, they were on a tiny carousel at body and soul late sunday night, just before Francois and the atlas mountains(also amazing, my favourite discovery of the weekend!) they were from Dublin and it was kinda dance music but they'd a whole band and it was rockin, girl vocalist..thought they were called either platonic dust or somethin like it?

any help appreciated..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭srm23

GK1001 wrote: »
    That was attention bebe...looked them up earlier...great way to close out an epic weekend for me...called it after that and I'd have to say I'd put them in my top 3 for the weekend...I think they were as surprised as anyone at the crowd they got and the energy they created...just brilliant

I'd seen them before as a friend's brother is in the band so knew it would be all covers which was in the mood for at that time, but talking to others that went they saw them last year there and word of mouth spread. loved getting jiggy with it haha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭srm23

They're a waste of money. We had a yurt. It was 520 for 3 of us (a 4 man tent). The tent itself was fine, the duvet that was supplied was nearly transparent it was so thin (I would have died of the cold if I hadn't had a spare blanket). And we were surrounded by little f&ckers who had mass booked about 5 of the yurts beside us and were sleeping 6 (at least) to a tent. So it was our own personal Jimi Hendrix experience with the shouting and roaring all night and drinking outside the tent all day. Basically what we'd booked the thing to avoid, in otherwords.

I really felt bad for the lady in the tipi at the back though, she was crying outside on the phone on Sunday morning after no sleep the night before. Those things are a grand each I think.

i was in one of the normal 2 mans in pink moon and there was only ever about 5 people sitting outside the tents during the day and no one late at night. we had loads of space having our cans outside the tent.

i had to walk to hendrix for cans from the off license and the place was a bomb site and wouldn't want people on top of me the whole weekend outside the tent! would defo stay in pink moon again. the only thing was a group of lads, about 30ish not young lads, playing guitar/singsong real early (before 10am id say) outside their tent.

i dont know how anyone couldnt sleep after those days! both sun and mon morning i woke up with half a pot noodle lying beside me id bought for back at the tent and fell asleep while still eating i was so tired! but once woke up in the morns found it hard to get back to sleep

didnt hear anything about this fire until someone texted me asking about it the next day! it was daylight when i got back to the site on that morning so maybe was before that i didnt notice anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,560 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

It was my first time at Electric Picnic and we had a great weekend. It really is what you make of it, the best chillout time you can possibly ever have.

We were going to stay at the Charlie Chaplin campsite but weren't allowed access Friday evening so ended up in Janis Jopin. A bit of a trek but it was excellent, had a good sleep every morning! The toilets leading into the campervan site were well maintained, I thought Hendrix looked a bit of a cesspit, the smell was fairly bad by Sunday morning.

I enjoyed the whole experience, Wild Beasts, The Horrors and Chic were great. Most of the best stuff was in Mindfield, thoroughly enjoyed Clive Barnes gig on the Sunday night.

Everyone I encountered was having a great time, the only downer was on Friday night, the access gates at Other Voices for Little Green Cars was totally unnecessary and is something which should be avoided in future. Pushing, shoving and heavy handed security is not what EP is about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

How were Ham Sandwich in the Electric Arena? Big crowd?

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭LostinKildare

david75 wrote: »
    Need help finding a band guys, they were on a tiny carousel at body and soul late sunday night, just before Francois and the atlas mountains(also amazing, my favourite discovery of the weekend!) they were from Dublin and it was kinda dance music but they'd a whole band and it was rockin, girl vocalist..thought they were called either platonic dust or somethin like it?

any help appreciated..

Plutonic Dust. Saw them a couple years ago at the Afterburn at Charleville Castle. Great fun.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

Fangirl here! :D

I was up the front for him too! I sacrificed the end of St. Vincent to be at the main stage for when Lily Allen finished so I could get up close. I've been waiting so long to finally get to see him, he was one of the main reasons I bought a ticket. It completely lived up to my expectations, honestly. He's such an entertainer and seemed to be genuinely enjoying himself. I nearly died when he sang Debra with the Trapped in the Closet interlude. :pac:

It was nice to hear people singing along with some of the more stripped back tunes too. Seemed like a lot of pretty genuine fans turned up for him. I think everyone around me knew pretty much all the words to every song he sang.

Aye it was pretty special. I haven't jumped around like that in years, my poor body is still in bits!:) Got some good videos right up front. During Lost Cause some strange man with a very professional video camera was videoing me from below, no idea!

Epic gig though. The coolest man alive.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement