Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2014 ** NO TICKET DISCUSSION ALLOWED ** see new mod note

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭mrscloudatlas

srm23 wrote: »
    i was in one of the normal 2 mans in pink moon and there was only ever about 5 people sitting outside the tents during the day and no one late at night. we had loads of space having our cans outside the tent.

i had to walk to hendrix for cans from the off license and the place was a bomb site and wouldn't want people on top of me the whole weekend outside the tent! would defo stay in pink moon again. the only thing was a group of lads, about 30ish not young lads, playing guitar/singsong real early (before 10am id say) outside their tent.

i dont know how anyone couldnt sleep after those days! both sun and mon morning i woke up with half a pot noodle lying beside me id bought for back at the tent and fell asleep while still eating i was so tired! but once woke up in the morns found it hard to get back to sleep

didnt hear anything about this fire until someone texted me asking about it the next day! it was daylight when i got back to the site on that morning so maybe was before that i didnt notice anything.

We were camped 3 rows from the back in pink moon. The fire happend about 5 rows from the back. It was very scary. At 5am Sat we heard a woman screaming for help. Everyone thought she was being attacked. A man kept shouting knife knife! He was trying to cut her out of the 4 man tent. Everyone around was panicking more tents would catch fire. Ambulance cops and security all arrived quickly. Hope theyre alright!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭miller82

really hope she makes a full recovery.... but i have to say it..... reports say they went back to the tent and started to light candles and fell asleep -in a tent..... in a crowded area ......that is beyoned selfish, idiotic and reckless ( if those reports are accurtate)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭sebcity

threein99 wrote: »
    How were Ham Sandwich in the Electric Arena? Big crowd?

Yeah they got a good crowd, I really enjoyed them.

miller82 wrote: »
    really hope she makes a full recovery.... but i have to say it..... reports say they went back to the tent and started to light candles and fell asleep -in a tent..... in a crowded area ......that is beyoned selfish, idiotic and reckless ( if those reports are accurtate)

Feel bad for the Pink Moon people too. They do a good job. I would deffo get a two man tent again. They're big and that little porch bit was big enough for 2 people to sit inside in chairs. Just bring your own sleeping bags and matress.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,733 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Blondie - First band of the weekend - great stuff - Heart of Glass sounded amazing blasting out from the main stage
    Foals - class as always - wasn't too gone on the set list but still
    Trinity Orchestra - some great bits and some not - played the Gorillaz album
    Stranglers - uber cool
    Wild Beasts - ^^^
    Bombay Bicycle Club - love love love this band - 3rd time seeing them!
    Metronomy - only caught about 15 mins - wasn't as packed as I thought it would be
    London Grammar - caught the tail end so to speak - fantastic voice!
    James Vincent McMorrow - again - only caught about 15 mins - slow down vibe so legged it elsewhere for a pick me up
    Little Green Cars - had to queue for 20 mins to get in - lovely intimate performance in the little sounds stage
    Le Galaxie - very very good - had to leave early to catch..
    Chic - fantastic as usual
    Dublin Gospel Choir - every year I am "meh" about seeing them, every year they are fantastic!
    The Wailers - enjoyable and played the hits!
    Ham Sandwich - really enjoyable performance. Lead singer got her little sister to get up on stage to sing their final tune. I got a little summit in my eye :(
    Unknown Mortal Orchestra - these lads are excellent. Solid stuff
    Simple Minds - played Glittering Prize so I was happy :)
    Wolf Alice - really enjoyable stuff - gonna seek out more of their stuff
    Lily Allen - caught the end - wasn't pushed to see her but enjoyed it more than I thought I would.
    Kelis - brilliant performance, really great singer and knew more that I thought
    Beck - guy is coolness personified. Saw him in Dublin Castle years ago
    Outkast - only stuck around for a bit - couldn't get close to the front so headed off to try some new music
    Slowdive - deadly, really indie-shoegazing stuff
    sh*t robot - excellent set
    King Kong Company - A proper fun band - gave it socks!

Fitted a lot more in this year than before, whilst also managing to drink more than any year before either.

Camped near Hendrix and the site was the worst I've seen. Nasty stuff. Someone ripped by tent and there was puke and p*ss everywhere.
    Earplugs are a necessity.

Suffering with The Fear something awful though yesterday and today :(:(

Was leaving the campsite on the long, long trek back to the car and then onwards when I got an email telling me next year's tickets are on sale. Christ, I haven't even recovered yet from this one!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

Does anyone know if the 155 tickets for the full loyalty will also be available at some stage next year? Funds are a bit tight to be splashing out immediately after this years!!

Oh and also a shout out to Temples who I thought sounded brilliant live. Wild Beasts were a lil lost on the main stage in the daylight with a tiny crowd as mentioned and feared by others.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭zsha

Yea surely if they just give Sunday people a Sunday wristband

We did have wristbands with Sunday on them....but still not allowed leave main area. So yeah as result also couldn't go to salty dog or trenchtown at all as this was outside the main area. Really very bad considering tickets are paid for!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Has anyone stayed in the Boutique area campsite/pods/yurts etc? What kind of prices are they if so?

Hoping to go next year and maybe either hire a campervan or go Boutique camping. Stayed in a caravan in 2012 and it was great, just cant be dealing with a tent.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Plutonic Dust. Saw them a couple years ago at the Afterburn at Charleville Castle. Great fun.

thanks you!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,510 ✭✭✭✭fits

Aye it was pretty special. I haven't jumped around like that in years, my poor body is still in bits!:) Got some good videos right up front. During Lost Cause some strange man with a very professional video camera was videoing me from below, no idea!

Epic gig though. The coolest man alive.

I was standing near you. That was really strange, he made a beeline for you like he knew exactly where he was going. Was wondering what he was up to.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Jazzzman

It's very rare at a festival that you will be going to see bands you would be incredibly familiar with but that's also the beauty of it when you have to check out random acts, I only wanted to see about 4 or 5 bands but left thinking London Grammar and Wolf Alice were two of the best acts I seen over the weekend and I had never heard of the m , it forces you into seeing new acts!
    speak for yourself!!

There was a stage just inside the gate (i think north) of body & soul does anybody know the name of it, it was like a little hut you'd see in a park

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Chief87

In bits today still...couldn't sleep last night.

Going to be a rough enough week.

Unreal weekend though!

andreac wrote: »
    Has anyone stayed in the Boutique area campsite/pods/yurts etc? What kind of prices are they if so?

Hoping to go next year and maybe either hire a campervan or go Boutique camping. Stayed in a caravan in 2012 and it was great, just cant be dealing with a tent.

We stayed in pink moon. Paid €87 each for their basic 2 man tent which is really a three man size tent with a porch. If u get a loyalty ticket its €247 for ticket and pink moon tent and pink moon facilities. Clean toilets hot showers free phone charging hairdryers straightners and 24 cafe withloads of picnic tables. Bliss! Only 1 gripe. Should have seperate access to arena as its literally at the comedy tent\electric arena but they make u walk all the way around to the trailer park entrance :-(

Well that was fun!

Highlight for me were Le Galaxie, saw them for the first time there in 2012 and have seen them a number of times since - including Body & Soul last year. They really are fantastic.

Chic were a very very close second. Really a gig you could happily stay at all night.

Beck was probably who I wanted to see the most (along with Pet Shop Boys) and he was absolutely brilliant.

Pet shop boys were great but as the weekend continued they became quite forgettable tbh.

I mostly wandered from tent to tent so I saw a lot of acts that I wouldn't have know before. I didn't see anyone who I didn't enjoy. Blondie was the biggest let down for me. Spent a little bit of time in the comedy tent which I missed last year, feckin brilliant, The Rubberbandits happened to be on when I ended up there, I never would have rated them before but I quite literally had a pain in my face from laughing at their gig so glad I got to see them.

I never got to the Other Voices stage which was a pity. I think you nearly need 4 days to take it all in, but my body certainly couldn't handle much more. I'm exhausted.

Crowd wise, I thought there were an increase in the number of feckin knobs in the place. Our tents were broken in to over in Andy Warhole which was really disappointing. Idiots shouting abuse as you tried to make your way back to the tent. Scummiest of all was the gobshytes who went around emptying bin bags full of rubbish. Who does that like? Back to pink moon for me next year but other than that it was a brilliant weekend :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,510 ✭✭✭✭fits

Sounds like everyone is staying in pink moon next year.:D Seriously though, the body can't take camping anymore. Between long distance cycles, 14 hour days in office chair, and the picnic, my back is in bits. And I had a bed to sleep in.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭iancairns

Stayed in Boutique Camping TIPI's.

No going back now, 100% worth it.
    Proper jax, your own showers and quick stroll in.
    Stays warm inside at night and cool if hot during the day.

Where do you book these tents / tipis

fits wrote: »
    Sounds like everyone is staying in pink moon next year.:D Seriously though, the body can't take camping anymore. Between long distance cycles, 14 hour days in office chair, and the picnic, my back is in bits. And I had a bed to sleep in.

So is mine. Pink Moon is worth every penny. For me it will be Sunday only from now on. The body just cant take it anymore. Its Tuesday for god sake and Im still not right!

• Advertisement

iancairns wrote: »
    Stayed in Boutique Camping TIPI's.

No going back now, 100% worth it.
    Proper jax, your own showers and quick stroll in.
    Stays warm inside at night and cool if hot during the day.

What kind of price were they for the weekend?

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Lester Freamon

We stayed in pink moon. Paid €87 each for their basic 2 man tent which is really a three man size tent with a porch. If u get a loyalty ticket its €247 for ticket and pink moon tent and pink moon facilities. Clean toilets hot showers free phone charging hairdryers straightners and 24 cafe withloads of picnic tables. Bliss! Only 1 gripe. Should have seperate access to arena as its literally at the comedy tent\electric arena but they make u walk all the way around to the trailer park entrance :-(

Can you hear the rave in the woods from Pink Moon? I know there isn't much messing in Pink Moon but how are the noise levels in general when trying to sleep before 4am?

Oh so Pink Moon campsite is separate from the Boutique one then? Id prefer not to stay in a tent and more of a proper bed if possible. But the showers sound great too.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭setanta74

Highlights for me.....

White Denim
    Portishead
    Girl Band
    Wolf Alice
    The "Orc" drumming troupe in the B&S...class

and stumbled on King Kong Company in the body & soul who blew me away and Im no regular fan of that type of music but I am now.

Came accross a brilliant slide guitar player in the trailer park late one night and feckin Neil Hannon playing a set in the "ranch"..unreal.

It was just a brilliant weekend of walking about discovering new bands and enjoying all sorts of great music.

Few little minor bits of hassle but nothing to sweat about and easily dealt with. 99% of people were sound.

fits wrote: »
    I was standing near you. That was really strange, he made a beeline for you like he knew exactly where he was going. Was wondering what he was up to.

It was so creepy. I think someone tapped me to draw my attention, he was literally on the ground under me pointing the camera up my shorts/nose. I really hope that video never sees the light of day! Not only was the filming angle highly uncomplimenting, but I was a drunken emotional mess singing away to Lost Cause.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

just a note on St. Vincent...
    Caught the second half of her set at electric picnic this weekend...yeah, i'm not buying it. I can see why some would love her, but it's she's reaching far and not getting there at all to my mind. It's all very affected and pretentious, if she just left the theatrics out and played the songs, it might be interesting. vastly overrated...2/10

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea

Body still throbbing here! Possibly the best ep I've ever been to. We stayed in family camping 2 and tbh it was like a feckin vip area! Not a scrap of rubbish on the ground, short walk to the main arena, we had our own showers, the toilets were spotless and had mirrors and sinks and hand wash! Walking through the main campsites were like something from the apocalypse D:

Highlights for me were;

Annie mac - she really had the crowd goin, great set, would live to see her again

Lily Allen - such a sound lady, really seemed happy to be there, pulling yer man up on stage, so appreciative of the crowd

Kelis - didn't see all of her but what I did I loved, classy woman and some set of pipes on her!

Johnny pluse and the stormtroopers of love - played trenchtown Saturday night at twelve, they had us all jumping like loons for their set and they loved every minute of it :)

All in all a deadly picnic, the first year my daughter camped, will definitely be bringing her for two nights next year rather than one, leaving us one night to destroy ourselves :P
    Oh and security were all really sound, really helpful and friendly :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

Loving reading everyone's write up! It's easing the pain of it all being over!

We had a fantastic weekend! Family camping was super this year, as eFlow were the sponsor there and they really did a good job, with volunteers to wheelbarrow your gear from the car park, drum circles, a bag for each child with a kite, bats and a ball (which got loads to use by all) and giant games in a tent which proved a real winner on Friday when waiting for the rain to clear. There was also a second family camp site, so more room overall too. I can't comment on Soul Kids as our son is 11 and has no interest, but on walking through each day, it seemed alive and fun.

We packed loads in, but also had plenty of fun and chill out time. I was worried as Friday night seemed absolutely mental to me, but I think that was down to people attacking the festival like an animal on the first night and there not being enough options venue wise as so much was shut. If they sort out the Friday night and have it all in full swing, I honestly don't see a problem with the new capacity (once they leave it as it is) as the toilets and bar queues were fine and the overall vibe was lovely with very little messiness after Friday.

Friday highlight: Foals. Jesus but they killed it! Scarily good.

Saturday Highlight: Portishead. Just superb, spine chillingly, ear bleedingly good!

Sunday Highlight and gig of the festival: Beck. What didn't he give us? I seriously love him for what he delivered. It felt special.

Best feel good band: Tradiohead. Such a great start on Friday. Fun (whoever mentioned the cheeky smile was spot on) and a great lifeline to starved Radiohead fans who all gave it socks like a choir for Paranoid Android. Loved it!
    Booka Brass Band deserve a special mention also.

Song of the Festival: Metronomy, The Bay. My one serious clash of the weekend was Metronomy and White Denim, and I only decided that morning that Metronomy would win out. I nearly got lured by the sound of White Denim striking up Pretty Green as I walked past, but I stuck to my guns, and I feel I was rewarded! Those that were there know what I am talking about. That song raised the roof.

Discovery of the festival: I'm no hipster, so I'm probably way behind here, but Youth Mass (Body & Soul main stage some time on Sat) were fantastic! Great vocals and so passionate.

Vocalist of the festival: I'm torn between Sinead O'Connor whose 'whisper-to-a-scream' style never fails to give me chills, and SOHN, who gave the most mysterious and intense set I saw. Vocally, he riffs like Justin Timberlake but haunts like Tracy Thorn!

Cultural Highlight: did anyone else see Opera Theatre Company Ireland doing opera from famous movie scenes? It was incredible, and so funny too.

Best Craic: The four in a sack sack races were hilarious! Also, hello to my son's 'Jenga buddy' if you are out there!

Best food: Home Fries and BBQ place in Trailer Park, and Afro-Caribbean place in Mindfield.

Best drink: 5 euro Cuba libres etc in Trailer Park.

That's all from me. Sorry for the length.

TL;DR: it was brilliant! I hate that it's over.

Edited to add, the OCS Going through the Motions Award goes to: The Stranglers. I don't give a **** if you've played it a million times, I've waited an eternity to hear Golden Brown, so put your back into it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

Does anyone know if the 155 tickets for the full loyalty will also be available at some stage next year? Funds are a bit tight to be splashing out immediately after this years!!

It says on the website that more loyalty tickets will go on sale again in 2015, I suppose there's no guarantee on what they will be priced at, how many there will be etc.

I've stayed in the Festihuts every year I have gone. The Festihut is €750.00 between 4 people, you have 2 bunk beds (4 beds), a 2 socket plug (and you can obviously bring an extension lead), a light and the toilets in the Festihut area are private to the rest of the boutique camping so you only have around 200 or so people (approx. 50 festihuts, with 4 to a hut) using them over the course of the weekend so they certainly don't end up in the same state as others - although this year there was problems with 2 out of 4 of the ladies toilets and they had to be closed but that's the first year it happened and the Festihut staff were straight on the problem and didn't just ignore it or anything.
    Half of the back wall of the Festihut opens out like a big window and there's nothing like lying there for a nap in the sun with a bit of a breeze going :)
    The lad that runs the Festihuts is also sound.
    I'd never stay anywhere other than the Festihuts.

• Advertisement

Can you hear the rave in the woods from Pink Moon? I know there isn't much messing in Pink Moon but how are the noise levels in general when trying to sleep before 4am?

Try not to turn in too early and its grand. There is a bit of doosh doosh heard till about 3am. Ear plugs and hat with flaps will sort it though. Its dead quiet after that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement