Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2014 ** NO TICKET DISCUSSION ALLOWED ** see new mod note

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭TheStook

My very first EP and I have to say it was an amazing weekend. My only regret is not seeing more acts but the craic at the campsite was too good at times to leave.

The acts I did see were Foals, Paolo Nutini, Hozier, Outkast and a bit of 1975. I also saw Simon Amstell for about 25 mins but I thought he was pretty ****e, seemed a bit arrogant tbh.

My only complaint is the toilets. The state of them after day 1 was atrocious. People swinging the doors open as other are in there. other than that it was perfectly ran.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

david75 wrote: »
    just a note on St. Vincent...
    Caught the second half of her set at electric picnic this weekend...yeah, i'm not buying it. I can see why some would love her, but it's she's reaching far and not getting there at all to my mind. It's all very affected and pretentious, if she just left the theatrics out and played the songs, it might be interesting. vastly overrated...2/10

Love the music, have two of her albums and the one she did with David Byrne. I found her set totally sterile and devoid of life, if you'd seen it on tele from Glastonbury or any of the other gigs she's done lately then you've seen this and it's choreographed to the milisecond. Gave up and just left. I don't mind affected or pretentious if it's part of an act and makes sense in the act but this was overly polished and soulless which is a pity as she's such a talent, a bit of roughing up the stage act would go a long way for her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭sebcity

Had an amazing weekend. Seriously love that festival.

Stayed in Jimi Hendrix. there were a few scrotes about but nothing serious. The tent next to us was robbed but we got away with it - the only thing taken was a Macedonian flag we had flying.

The jacks were ok for me, I was pleasantly surprised.

Food was top notch. Really enjoyed it. Great variety. Loved the Home Fries.

Security seemed to be inconsitant. When we were queuing at the very first checkpoint where your ticket were scanned on the way in, 2 guys in front of us were practically strip searched. Went through everything. then me and my friend were just waved through, didn't get touched. And then on the way into the arena you were either gone through in great detail or else just waved through - is it they only have to search a ratio?
    Also, when we were getting our tickets scanned, two lads were turned away as their tickets were duds - imagine that! Nightmare.

Music was unbelievable, the biggest surprise for me was Kelis - she was unbelievable!!

Can't wait for next year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

Love the music, have two of her albums and the one she did with David Byrne. I found her set totally sterile and devoid of life, if you'd seen it on tele from Glastonbury or any of the other gigs she's done lately then you've seen this and it's choreographed to the milisecond. Gave up and just left. I don't mind affected or pretentious if it's part of an act and makes sense in the act but this was overly polished and soulless which is a pity as she's such a talent, a bit of roughing up the stage act would go a long way for her.

I whole heartedly agree. The set with David Byrne last year made perfect sense, and the choreography served the music, but we left her set the other day. As you said:cold!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,510 ✭✭✭✭fits

It was so creepy. I think someone tapped me to draw my attention, he was literally on the ground under me pointing the camera up my shorts/nose. I really hope that video never sees the light of day! Not only was the filming angle highly uncomplimenting, but I was a drunken emotional mess singing away to Lost Cause.
    Yeah you didn't notice him for ages. We thought you were in on it until you finally realised and he disappeared then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

It says on the website that more loyalty tickets will go on sale again in 2015, I suppose there's no guarantee on what they will be priced at, how many there will be etc.

I've stayed in the Festihuts every year I have gone. The Festihut is €750.00 between 4 people, you have 2 bunk beds (4 beds), a 2 socket plug (and you can obviously bring an extension lead), a light and the toilets in the Festihut area are private to the rest of the boutique camping so you only have around 200 or so people (approx. 50 festihuts, with 4 to a hut) using them over the course of the weekend so they certainly don't end up in the same state as others - although this year there was problems with 2 out of 4 of the ladies toilets and they had to be closed but that's the first year it happened and the Festihut staff were straight on the problem and didn't just ignore it or anything.
    Half of the back wall of the Festihut opens out like a big window and there's nothing like lying there for a nap in the sun with a bit of a breeze going :)
    The lad that runs the Festihuts is also sound.
    I'd never stay anywhere other than the Festihuts.

Oh can you plug in a hairdryer etc? It says on their website theres no electricity in them, but you say there is? That would be cool.

Are they comfy yeah?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

The portaloos were impressively horrific. Pink moon would be worth the 30 euro a night for the toilets alone. Hendrix was like a slum, and Wilde had a good few dodgy-ish people, including the guy near us who got kicked out. He had stolen 8 cans from one of our tents, we decided not to do anything as they were neighbours.. anyway day later he got thrown out for having a knife and allegedly slashing tents (that was the consensus of those around us anyway as we only came back as he was being removed by security).

Lots of lovely people and the security were better this year than last. All of them were very sound bar one foreign fella who told me to **** off when I asked where to go.. didn't know what his craic was but he might have just had to clean out a portaloo so I left him off with a smile

Body and soul was fantastically designed this year and all the installations were great. I spent a lot of time at B&S this year compared to last and the music all around was great in there.

I'll be back next year without doubt, but probably in either a leave no trace campsite, pink moon, or else I'll have a child in the meantime and go to the family site.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,953 ✭✭✭paulbok

Body still throbbing here! Possibly the best ep I've ever been to. We stayed in family camping 2 and tbh it was like a feckin vip area! Not a scrap of rubbish on the ground, short walk to the main arena, we had our own showers, the toilets were spotless and had mirrors and sinks and hand wash! Walking through the main campsites were like something from the apocalypse D:

Highlights for me were;

Annie mac - she really had the crowd goin, great set, would live to see her again

Lily Allen - such a sound lady, really seemed happy to be there, pulling yer man up on stage, so appreciative of the crowd

Kelis - didn't see all of her but what I did I loved, classy woman and some set of pipes on her!

Johnny pluse and the stormtroopers of love - played trenchtown Saturday night at twelve, they had us all jumping like loons for their set and they loved every minute of it :)

All in all a deadly picnic, the first year my daughter camped, will definitely be bringing her for two nights next year rather than one, leaving us one night to destroy ourselves :P
    Oh and security were all really sound, really helpful and friendly :)

Was there a happy ending? :D

paulbok wrote: »
    Was there a happy ending? :D
    haha but it actually wasn't! She had to tell him to **** off because he wouldn't leave! Happened again with Chic, and with outkast where people wouldn't just get off when they were told!

Getting non-performers up on stage seemed to nearly always be a bad idea. Happened in the comedy tent with 'Anto' the man on more yokes than his jaw could handle was brought up to tell a terrible joke.

Although the Rubberbandits bringing up the child for their song 'Spoiling Ivan' was brilliant. And Foil, arms & hog's sketch with the man from the audience was sublime it worked so well like he had been in on it from since rehearsals.

.. I was also briefly on the stage in the comedy tent when a child was guessing peoples jobs.

There's me there with a smile on my face
    10656595_838394096170634_748260810_n.jpg?oh=f7a5b88c67d74d95e41c89f89dc05329&oe=54079CD4&__gda__=1409748107_956cd802a7005992a68925c5ce8ca760

I'll be back next year without doubt, but probably in either a leave no trace campsite, pink moon, or else I'll have a child in the meantime and go to the family site.

I can think of no more solid a reason to start a family! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Lester Freamon

It says on the website that more loyalty tickets will go on sale again in 2015, I suppose there's no guarantee on what they will be priced at, how many there will be etc.

I've stayed in the Festihuts every year I have gone. The Festihut is €750.00 between 4 people, you have 2 bunk beds (4 beds), a 2 socket plug (and you can obviously bring an extension lead), a light and the toilets in the Festihut area are private to the rest of the boutique camping so you only have around 200 or so people (approx. 50 festihuts, with 4 to a hut) using them over the course of the weekend so they certainly don't end up in the same state as others - although this year there was problems with 2 out of 4 of the ladies toilets and they had to be closed but that's the first year it happened and the Festihut staff were straight on the problem and didn't just ignore it or anything.
    Half of the back wall of the Festihut opens out like a big window and there's nothing like lying there for a nap in the sun with a bit of a breeze going :)
    The lad that runs the Festihuts is also sound.
    I'd never stay anywhere other than the Festihuts.

Where are the Festihuts located? Or they over by Pink Moon or near the Boutique camping?
    The Boutique camping looked to be located very near the annoyingly noisy funfair?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I had a great week having went down the Sunday before to start work on the Monday, by Wednesday my feet were in bits from the long trek at the staff entrance to the main arena and from doing the work which required a lot of standing. This was the first time that I remained at the crew campsite rather than move to the Hendrix on Thursday, best decision I ever made as it was a damn sight more peaceful.

Took in some of the smaller stages as well as catching a few of the headliners.
    Highlights: GIRO on the Earthship stage Friday afternoon, apparently the band before them played to an empty stage because there was a delay into opening the arena to the public.

Foals: My first time seeing them and I thought they played a spot on set.

Could hear the Pet Shop Boys from the volunteer tent who seemed to be doing a reasonable job, but not really my thing.

Sunhil Sharpe played a nice set at the RBA stage, near the end he dropped Polygon Window by Polygon Window (Aphex Twin) so that was a nice surprse, a fairly cool techno set to get the feet moving.

The Stranglers: First time catching them live and they played a blinder, it was great catching all their famous tunes, was surprised at how good Golden Brown was.

Frank and Walters and Camille O'Sullivan played great sets in the Jerry Fish tent on the Saturday.

Portishead were absolutely stunning, great graphics and a great sound.

Chic: My first time catching them, great party music and a great crowd up for it, although some of the music was a wee bit cheesy too.

Bicep: Played a blinder of a set in the LBT with a nice crowd gathered but still enough space to dance.

Joy Orbison: Played a stormer at the RBA, the area absolutely rammed. Got lost on the way back and took us an hour and a bit to find our way back to the crew camp.

The Wailers: Played a very good set with all the hits and the sunshine was a great bonus too.

Beck: He was absolutely amazing, kicking off with a storming Devil's Haircut is a nice way to start a set, the psychedelic screen graphics in the backdrop were jaw dropping. My main highlight.

Outkast: Were bloody amazing, probably the best rap act I have ever seen, most rap does not cut it live but Outkast were amazing and they probably had the biggest crowd I've ever seen at the main stage which stretched right up to the jacks at the back and the Oxygen bar and stalls at the other side.

Boddika: He played a nice set at the RBA, dropping a Ben Klock track that I remember was played in Friday at the RBA last year as I took the video clip of that.

To the people who noticed people with cans in the arena before the bars had shut, yes, possibly some of them were smuggled in, but it was most likely that it was crew and artist performers that you seen, you see, performers and crew can enter through the steel gate that you see to the left of you when you come out that first entrance to the Hendrix, there is no searches there, you just flash your crew wristband and its straight into the main arena, no unnecessary queuing.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Where did you see this? Was trying to find more info on tickets but couldn't see much beyond what's happening for now til 30th Sept.. Presume they'd go up to €194.50 for a month or 2 after that like this year but not so sure.

Guess there's always the instalment plan if folk are low on funds.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭NewCorkLad

First time at electric picnic will definitly be back loved the atmosphere and the music. Really loved wondering through Body and Soul something new to see every time. Loved Foals and Chic also got to see Annie Mac in the Other Voices tent great atmosphere.

Stayed in a campervan well worth the extra money, a comfy bed and no carrying drink and equipment in. Also thanks to whoever was recommending the caprisun resealable pouches for the drink it came in very handy.

Eod100 wrote: »
    Where did you see this? Was trying to find more info on tickets but couldn't see much beyond what's happening for now til 30th Sept.. Presume they'd go up to €194.50 for a month or 2 after that like this year but not so sure.

Guess there's always the instalment plan if folk are low on funds.

Found it under http://electricpicnic.ie/electricpicnic2015ticketsnowonsale

No sign of it through the tickets tab on their site for some reason http://electricpicnic.ie/tickets1

Not sure if there's any incentive to buy tickets at the €194.50 price (unless you can only avail of the instalment option for it if you commit before 30th) without knowing any of the line-up, if these tickets are going to be on sale after the 30th. Whole thing seems kinda vague though.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Evil Sausage

Her set at Body & Soul in 2012 was as you say, "roughed up" and included her doing a fair amount of crowd surfing.

I saw her in the Olympia earlier this year and caught half of her show at the weekend and I understand why a lot of people wouldn't like it, but I think the strict choreography of her performance suits the music perfectly and thought it was interesting to see something different than the standard "band-on-stage" visual.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,123 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I think she's amazing and absolutely love the music. The theatrics were interesting the first time I saw her and wasn't expecting it, but would be happy to see her dump them for future tours. Her little speech to the crowd was a bit cringe worthy too. However the music more than makes up for that, I loved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭MGMTea

Was really looking forward to seeing Glass Animals and they did not disappoint :D They got a great crowd in at LBT and looked shocked themselves with how well they went down. Love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭roll

nlgbbbblth wrote: »
    I hadn't been to EP since 2008.

High points
    - That German food stall selling bratwurst and pulled pork rolls.
    - Hanging out at The Salty Dog.
    - Good buzz off strangers.
    - Pet Shop Boys
    - Clean Bandit
    - Portishead
    - Body and Soul all weekend

Low points
    - Found Oscar Wilde fairly mental. Toilets were shocking.
    - Two bad nights' sleep.
    - Inconsistent security checks. Had to turn out pockets, wallet, bag every time. Everything searched. And then seeing loads of people inside the arena with cans.

After 25 years of festivals I think my body is saying no to camping again. Seriously wrecked today despite coming home yesterday evening. A few consecutive hours kip would make all the difference - may consider a hotel or B&B in future.

PS - anybody see Slowdive?

Slowdive were awesome, but they were no. 1 on my list of must sees anyway. However, having to leave mogwai a half hour in was a total bummer as they started out really well....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,510 ✭✭✭✭fits

I think she's amazing and absolutely love the music. The theatrics were interesting the first time I saw her and wasn't expecting it, but would be happy to see her dump them for future tours. Her little speech to the crowd was a bit cringe worthy too. However the music more than makes up for that, I loved it.

I left after she made a speech. Was just disinterested.

• Advertisement

Her little speech to the crowd was a bit cringe worthy too. However the music more than makes up for that, I loved it.

Oh God…I forgot that. That was the second most cringeworthy moment of the weekend, Outkast girl obviously being the absolute winner in that category.

Another small complaint I have would be about the Be the Band rig in Trailer Park. That needs to be contained within a a small tent next year. It's a fun idea, but when you are chilling out in B&S or Tailer Park but can hear Adele's Rolling in the Deep being sung very badly for the 15th time that weekend, it becomes very annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

haha but it actually wasn't! She had to tell him to **** off because he wouldn't leave! Happened again with Chic, and with outkast where people wouldn't just get off when they were told!

Getting non-performers up on stage seemed to nearly always be a bad idea. Happened in the comedy tent with 'Anto' the man on more yokes than his jaw could handle was brought up to tell a terrible joke.

Although the Rubberbandits bringing up the child for their song 'Spoiling Ivan' was brilliant. And Foil, arms & hog's sketch with the man from the audience was sublime it worked so well like he had been in on it from since rehearsals.

.. I was also briefly on the stage in the comedy tent when a child was guessing peoples jobs.

There's me there with a smile on my face
    10656595_838394096170634_748260810_n.jpg?oh=f7a5b88c67d74d95e41c89f89dc05329&oe=54079CD4&__gda__=1409748107_956cd802a7005992a68925c5ce8ca760

What did he think you did?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,123 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Meathlass wrote: »

Computer programmer if I remember correctly!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Little fan made video by my mate, nicely sums up our weekend.
    Bit of a theme of what our feet were doing since spend so much time on them.
    Enjoy.

Meathlass wrote: »
    Computer programmer if I remember correctly!

ding ding ding! Turns out I was just a student

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

DrBass wrote: »
    Long shot - but - Is there any chance that this set was recorded? One of the highlights for me

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭paulieeye

The Rubberbandits happened to be on when I ended up there, I never would have rated them before but I quite literally had a pain in my face from laughing

Miley Cyrus...he's in the RA!!!!

EP now saying: ''The loyalty scheme (and use of discount codes) will end on 18th April or in the event of a sell-out, whichever comes first.''

http://electricpicnic.ie/howtoclaimyourticketdiscountcode1

Dunno what the Sept 30th date is about so..

Actually scratch that, fairly sure they just forgot to delete that bit cos fairly sure it applies to this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

Oh take me back, please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭NewCorkLad

Anyone able to get through to the lost property number

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement