Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2014 ** NO TICKET DISCUSSION ALLOWED ** see new mod note

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Some more clips I took of Joy Orbison in a better quality camera.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,545 ✭✭✭Duff

garra wrote: »
    The tyres were a bit tricky all right. As were the slopes flanking the rave, I found this out the hard way after landing on my back at the bottom of the slope. Finding my way back to crew camping afterwards was a bitch too, all part of the festival fun :p

Them feckin' tyres! I learned my lesson.. "Here, lads, watch this". Turns out after a blue grenade and a few cans, an Olympic hurdler you are not. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

I didn't look too far back through this thread as it would've taken me hours but did anyone catch Young Fathers on Body & Soul on Friday after Tune-Yards? Incredible show, my highlight of the weekend.

That said, it was so good all around that I'm struggling to narrow it down!

Disappointment - St Vincent. Self-indulgent and sterile I thought.

Only other gripe is how heavily weighted Saturday and Sunday are - Friday seems like an afterthought when all the arena stages bar two are closed, especially when most of the crafts, etc. are all closed until Saturday morning too. Wouldn't mind a reopening of at least one other stage as it might alleviate a few clashes!!

Also, to the day ticketers disappointed a few pages back (I can't remember your name, sorry!) about not being able to leave and come back in or check out the out-of-arena stages like Salty Dog, I assume it's to prevent people staying in the campsite (or causing damage, etc.) as once you leave the arena, it doesn't matter what your wrist says, there's no stopping you from going into the campsite and never being seen again!

That said, plenty manage to do it every year anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Mr.S wrote: »
    Great weekend :)

Crowd was noticeably older more relaxed then last year, which was to be expected from the lineup.

No complaints bar that ****ing fun fair in Hendrix, absolutely ruins the festival / campsite atmosphere.

How could you not enjoy "ATTENCIOONNN!" at 11am. Every morning.

I liked the booing that accompanied it but, yeah, we were camped right next to it. Head-wrecking.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Martin_D

Question from old fogie - came across the last 20 mins of a set in Upstage on Sat. - Girl with peaked cap and guy on decks - who they? Impressed as not usually my thing. Had small audience which was a pity.

• Advertisement

I didn't look too far back through this thread as it would've taken me hours but did anyone catch Young Fathers on Body & Soul on Friday after Tune-Yards? Incredible show, my highlight of the weekend.

That said, it was so good all around that I'm struggling to narrow it down!

Disappointment - St Vincent. Self-indulgent and sterile I thought.

Only other gripe is how heavily weighted Saturday and Sunday are - Friday seems like an afterthought when all the arena stages bar two are closed, especially when most of the crafts, etc. are all closed until Saturday morning too. Wouldn't mind a reopening of at least one other stage as it might alleviate a few clashes!!

Also, to the day ticketers disappointed a few pages back (I can't remember your name, sorry!) about not being able to leave and come back in or check out the out-of-arena stages like Salty Dog, I assume it's to prevent people staying in the campsite (or causing damage, etc.) as once you leave the arena, it doesn't matter what your wrist says, there's no stopping you from going into the campsite and never being seen again!

That said, plenty manage to do it every year anyway.

From what I heard, people with Sunday day tickets could camp for the first time overnight, there was lots of people arriving with camping gear on Sunday afternoon, so when the main arena stuff stopped they were free to roam the outer areas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭novemberskye

Anyone got any videos of beck playing loser? Was stuck queuing at security gate coming from Hendrix and could hear the song being sang.... Gutted is not the word!!!

Anyone got any videos of beck playing loser? Was stuck queuing at security gate coming from Hendrix and could hear the song being sang.... Gutted is not the word!!!

Coming up soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,404 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

Queen-Mise wrote: »

They did catch one fella with 200 E's in a tobacco tin coming through from JH on the Sat night.

Similar incident same night- same gate, security had moved a guy over to the left of the gate, right beside the queue, up against the wall. A bald security guard being really aggressive in his face while his arms were being held by another with x2 more standing by, knew it was something serious. Ended up he had part of a plastic shopping bag tied around his ankle under his track suit. Can't say what was in it, but it looked like a substantial amount of white powder.

People are complaining about lack of search consistency, I probably went in the gates x2-3 times per day: 41k x3 =123,000 pat downs/searches per day!! That's colossal, more than Dublin airport.

They can't search everyone 100%. I think their strategy seems to be periods of strict searching (looking for drugs in particular) while trying not to hold people up too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,404 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

Great weekend :)

Crowd was noticeably older more relaxed then last year, which was to be expected from the lineup.

No complaints bar that ****ing fun fair in Hendrix, absolutely ruins the festival / campsite atmosphere.

Couldn't agree more, despite what some work colleagues thought, the crowd was definitely older than the previous year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭hugeglobe

Some more clips I took of Joy Orbison in a better quality camera.

I think I may have exploded when he dropped Caribou at the end of his set.

Two clips I took of Beck, the bass is a little distorted but I hope you enjoy.

I wish the clip for Loser was longer but I was starting to run out of battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,551 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Delighted with how the weekend went, enjoyed it even more than last year. Didn't get to see as much music as I would have liked, but anyone that I did see was very impressive, Chic, Outkast, Dimitri from Paris, Greg Wilson, Get Down Edits were all fantastic, I would struggle to pick who I enjoyed most but it would definitely be between them 5 acts for me. Duke Dumont was okay but I agree that it was too packed in the Little Big Tent for him, wasn't a fan of Annie Mac myself, Kelis was a pleasant surprise and definitely would have stayed longer if it weren't for Outkast.

Thought it felt noticeably busier this year, didn't notice many areas increase in size despite the extra 6,000 people or so, on Sunday every stage I went to was absolutely packed. Agree there was a slight bit more of an Oxegen crowd this year but it didn't take anything away from the weekend, saw no trouble again this year and everyone seemed to be having a good time, although the campsite seemed a lot dirtier.

Had such a good time from start to finish, got talking to loads of lovely people over the weekend and saw lots of great music too. If I were to organise a festival tailor made for myself I honestly can't think of anything I would do differently, Electric Picnic really is an amazing place, I would be surprised if anyone who went didn't enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,545 ✭✭✭Duff

While we're on the subject of requesting videos, long shot but has anyone got Rustie mixing Chimes with Attak? Thought my head was gonna explode when he dropped it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

They were fantastic. One of my favourites of the weekend. War is a great tune.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Belfunk

Martin_D wrote: »
    Question from old fogie - came across the last 20 mins of a set in Upstage on Sat. - Girl with peaked cap and guy on decks - who they? Impressed as not usually my thing. Had small audience which was a pity.

I think they are called Contour? 10:15 Upstage, probably finished up around 11:15.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Duff wrote: »
    While we're on the subject of requesting videos, long shot but has anyone got Rustie mixing Chimes with Attak? Thought my head was gonna explode when he dropped it.

Ugh I hate hearing things I missed that I too would have exploded at

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

Had a great weekend, loved every minute of Chic and Outkast who I was looking forward to the most, London Grammar also really blew me away.. absolutely in love with Hannah Reid! James Murphy, Bicep and Sunil Sharpe were also great, although I think the rave in the woods has gone downhill the past couple of years. There's just so many people, the majority of them aren't into techno at all and are just standing around chatting so there's no atmosphere. Then when we managed to get up the front it was just far too jammers to actually enjoy a dance. Thought the sound was fairly crap there too for Sunil so that probably didn't help. I missed a few more acts than I usually would at a festival from just sitting around the campsite (Joy Orbison and The Wailers being the main ones) but sure what can ya do.

Thought the crowd was great overall (besides the bellends near us blaring and screaming along to Slipknot at 9am on the Saturday morning) but the extra 6,000 people was definitely noticeable. Never had to queue for so long to get searched going into the arena, although I usually had drink down the jocks and they seemed to be more lax with the searches because there were so many people waiting so I never got anything taken off me.

Outkast

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

Duff wrote: »

that was my song of the festival. delighted i stayed on a bit and thought i was missing some of outkast but they came on a bit late. there must have been about 5 others along with me just pegging across the field to outkast!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Reggie noble

Rustie was class but what was the story with the music stopping 2 or 3 times during the set , was it the power or what ?

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Reded

-=al=- wrote: »
    Gona take a week to get over this E.P ...Still feel abysmal.

Amazing weekend everything was awesome...I saw who I wantted to see and much more... Didn't get around to everything but hey, you never can.

Lot's of cool parts but especially that drunk lady who was off with the fairies when she spoke to the crowd at outkast "I think I should stay... Do ye want me to stay lads" ...or something along those lines

It was cringetastic

Off to bed for a week. God help you if you were back in work today, it's Suicide Tuesday

Try back to work Monday - left EP at 10 in work at 11.30 - the state of me!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭rebelreded

Reded wrote: »
    Found the toilets in boutique campsite awful this year - would go so far as to say that the portaloos in main arena were better and that's saying something!!! However most of the campers are lovely folk in this area! It's expensive but worth it! Sort out the loos though!

I don't know how you thought this. I thought they were excellent at all times of the day and night. It's delightful to wander over to them at 4 in the morning to find them clean and tidy with dry seat, toilet paper and lockable door......bliss

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭PomBear

Any know know the name of the security firm this year? Looking to send in a complaint over conduct of a few way too aggressive

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭red face dave

Great weekend, had such a good time. Made the big mistake of starting off with a bang on Friday night managed to see Blondie she was grand. We then headed to see James Murphy and a good auld dance at that. The rest of the night is a bit of a blur.

Saturday
    Crow Black Chicken - Impressed me once again
    Bombay Bicycle Club- Surprised how good they were
    Annie Mac - She was grand
    Then spent some time in Trenchtown and Other Voices and a Incident with a friend which meant I missed Portishead
    Chic - Were grand

Sunday
    Ham Sandwich - 4th time seeing these they really need new material
    Laura Mvula - What a voice
    Simple Minds - Their last song must have carried on for 10 minutes
    Flume- Was very good but like Ham Sandwich needs new material but all the same had a good dance
    Beck - Caught the end of Beck seemed great but was on a buzz after Flume
    Outcast - Decent maybe just not my thing

Hopefully next year we will get a full Friday, ended up drinking to much because I had nothing to see

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Finkployd

Worst moment of the weekend:
    putting up a gazebo at 2pm on Friday in the lashings of rain, getting the order of the poles completely wrong but trying to force everything together for about 40 minutes. A bad omen I thought it was.

Loved pretty much everything after that, music highlights were:
    White Denim
    Districts
    Beck
    The Trampz
    King Kong Company
    Benjamin Booker
    Glass Animals

Sh1t Robot & Asgeir let me down though

P.S. Did everyone else get their deck chairs robbed? Happened to everyone around us in the Andy Warhol

• Registered Users Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Reded wrote: »
    Try back to work Monday - left EP at 10 in work at 11.30 - the state of me!!!

Omg u clearly must have youth on your side.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

I'm still dying. Have spent most of the day lying on the sofa trying to have a snooze. Totally epic weekend. No hassle at camp, no hassle with security, just buzzed around getting lost constantly.
    Loved Foals, Booka Brass Band, Portishead, Outkast.
    Beck and Sinead O Connor seriously brought their A game. Was a real treat catching both of them.
    Watched a bit of Jenny Lewis then skipped over to see Ham Sandwich and glad I did. Brilliant.
    London Grammar, WOW!
    So disappointed in St Vincent, she was in my top 3 to see and it was all a bit meh. Not awful but not great but that was probably the only low point.
    Oh and the toilets in Warhol on Sunday morning were pretty grim. People were coming out like refugees after the horror inside.
    Oh and I was at Salty Dog sporting the hat but was a bit later than I expected. Got there for about 20 past wearing the hat.
    I did have a few random lurkers etc say hi, so if you're reading "HELLO!!"

Oh yeah, gotta add The Young Fathers and that Orc Samba band in B&S. Brilliant,.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭byrneg28

They where crazy this year :eek:

Seen some fella get hopped on by three security fellas (think he just ran away with his vodka in a plastic bottle). Pretty sure they snapped/broke something on him (i heard a snap when he went to the ground), think he was trying to see someone and wanted to get through as quick as possible but they jumped him.

They checked his shoes, his socks, his belt, his t-shirt. They had ripped his jeans and his t-shirt upon tackling him. The woman then violently ripped off his wristband. When they found nothing.. they all looked at each other puzzled.. he then said he couldn't stand up, so they all changed their tune a little and were like oh is your leg okay, and told him not to get up to quickly..

They gave him his bottle of vodka or whatever he snuck in and just said give him back his wristband and told him he was free to go..

:pac::pac::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭freddiemoore

EP highlight: Getting 2 hotdogs for the price of one.
    EP lowlight: Getting stung by a wasp while getting a massage after the TDP run.

My favourite random find of the Picnic was the Steve Frost Improv Allstars. Hilarious so they were!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement