Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2014 ** NO TICKET DISCUSSION ALLOWED ** see new mod note

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Just on the poster who brought up the security at that other now defunct festival, yeah. The guys EP are better. Way better now that I think on it.
    They were heavy handed occassionally and in reports we heard, but I guess by comparison, it's not to scale.

Let's move on.

did anyone see Francoise and the atlas mountains??

they were brilliant :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Apart from security not knowing where anything was they were pretty good. Nice and friendly.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Graham1978

jadie wrote: »
    Highlights of the weekend:

Pink Moon camping & the 2 showers I had,
    The Horrors,
    Slowdive,
    Beck,
    Portishead,
    Wolf Alice,
    The Orwells
    Stradbally village for a breather from it all.

Lowlights:
    Phone & wallet being stolen, serious downer.
    Pink Moon toilets- no cleaning after Saturday
    Outkast,
    St. Vincent
    All the feckin' walking

Was your phone and wallet stolen from Pink Moon ? Very surprised if it was, such a chilled, relaxing place to stay

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Martin_D wrote: »
    Stupid yes but hardly their fault - thats the scumbags who entered their private space for the weekend.
    BTW There seemed to be a huge area of Joplin unused - people could spread out more but yes they would be miles away from centre of the action so choose to be on top of one another instead.
    there was a large amount of Chaplin unused too, literally 30 seconds walk from the sardine can-esque Oscar Wilde.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

I found the filth left behind by people appalling - Oscar Wilde in particular looked like a war zone on monday afternoon. And we say the travellers are dirty! Even aside from the dirt, the amount of food, drink, clothes, tents, sleeping bags, chairs etc just abandoned was sickening - so much greed, gluttony and waste. Presumably this will all end up in landfill before the week is out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,560 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

byrneg28 wrote: »
    Their own ****ing fault

True but it's sad there is scum that come just f**k about robbing tents.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Jazzzman

cipiatone wrote: »
    Had a great weekend but bring back Oxegen and move it closer to the end of August so the scooby knacker element that was there this year **** off to that instead.

Loads of robbing incidents around the campsite that was never there, lots of people getting stopped and searched for drugs, I have never seen that either.

16 year olds and people with back to front aluminous baseball caps - **** off to oxygen and bring your jaw.

Class weekend all the same, rave in the woods brilliant and the Gorilla tent with the rope act was mental!

Ah don't be such a feckin' snob.

Whinging about kids going to festivals. We were all young once.

Next year I'd love it if all the 'mature, hippy cool dudes' would wind their pretentious necks in and just get on with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Cowabunga

That scary fella in the long black coat is still hanging around my front door.....
    Waiting ....... He's patient, he's been there since yesterday morning. I wonder how long he will wait for...... I hope he leaves.......

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭roll

Cowabunga wrote: »
    That scary fella in the long black coat is still hanging around my front door.....
    Waiting ....... He's patient, he's been there since yesterday morning. I wonder how long he will wait for...... I hope he leaves.......

Is he carrying a sickle or is he naked under the coat? that might determine your next course of action.....

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Cowabunga

roll wrote: »
    Is he carrying a sickle or is he naked under the coat? that might determine your next course of action.....

I've never seen under the cloak, I imagine its just the tortured souls he collects along the way. Previous one's of mine also. When I look in the mirror I feel like tearing my hair out!! With the amplified sound of my own voice "AHHHHHH YOUR SUCH AN IDIOT"
    And general feelings of cringes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

My thoughts:

Will happily continue to pay for boutique camping, it's not great but so much better than the alternative!

Best gigs for me:

The Horrors - So much better in a dark atmospheric tent than on main stage during the day, thought they were amazing.

Foals - Not much left to be said.

Glass animals - Was at the back for LBT but was right up front at Body & Soul.

Wild Beasts - As enjoyable on a sunny afternoon as they would've been in a tent.

Le Galaxie - Great show.

BBC - Perfect band for a sunny afternoon.

London Grammar - What a voice.

Booka Brass band - Great craic.

Sunday was definitely noticeably too busy which was annoying but I didn't see too many knackers and never felt intimidated or in danger.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Fizzlesque

Highlights of the weekend:

Pink Moon camping & the 2 showers I had,
    The Horrors,
    Slowdive,
    Beck,
    Portishead,
    Wolf Alice,
    The Orwells
    Stradbally village for a breather from it all.

Lowlights:
    Phone & wallet being stolen, serious downer.
    Pink Moon toilets- no cleaning after Saturday
    Outkast,
    St. Vincent
    All the feckin' walking

The toilets were cleaned again on Sunday evening for sure. I went back to Pink Moon camping at about 8pm on Sunday evening and the toilets were being cleaned at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,005 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Jazzzman wrote: »
    Ah don't be such a feckin' snob.

Whinging about kids going to festivals. We were all young once.

Next year I'd love it if all the 'mature, hippy cool dudes' would wind their pretentious necks in and just get on with it.

There is and always has been a snobbish element to Electric picnic.

Anybody who causes trouble or looks young is immediately classed as an oxegen type.
    If something is stolen, well sure it must have been an oxegen type, why don't they just **** off to punchestown etc.

Not everyone who went to oxygens was a thieving 16 year old on e

I came across alot of drugs at ep, most taken and supplied by people in their 30's and 40's who've never been to oxegen, so are they classed an EP type?

While I enjoyed the picnic this year it was and remains a middle class festival.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Anyone know where I can get the live sets from the rave in the woods Sunday?? I never heard such good tunes in a long time and I'm dying to relive the experience Boddika and Rift I'm looking for

You could try the Red Bull website and fire them an email, although they never answered my query about live sets from life festival and there was no live streams for that this year. Mostly likely is that it will be main stage, Electric Arena, Rankin Woods, Cosby Stage and LBT that some of the sets will be recorded from.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Actually could someone provide a link to the actual 2FM audio streams as I'm sick to death of Google never being specific here, where is the actual Electric Picnic streams page? :confused:

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭jadie

Graham1978 wrote: »
    Was your phone and wallet stolen from Pink Moon ? Very surprised if it was, such a chilled, relaxing place to stay

No, it was inside the venue. But one of the staff in pink moon told me that some girls phone was stolen from her tent in pink moon on Friday night too.

Fizzlesque wrote: »
    The toilets were cleaned again on Sunday evening for sure. I went back to Pink Moon camping at about 8pm on Sunday evening and the toilets were being cleaned at the time.

yeah but they were absolutely mank, no flushing working or anything.

Actually could someone provide a link to the actual 2FM audio streams as I'm sick to death of Google never being specific here, where is the actual Electric Picnic streams page? :confused:
    there is none, some of the late night shows have played clips or sets that were recorded there though.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Dowdy

Jaysus, that was some weekend. Was at every Picnic from 2004 to 2010 and then had to miss the last three years for various reasons, so it was great to be back. And despite being initially a little disappointed with the lineup when it was announced, I think I may have had one of the best ever Picnic weekends in terms of how impressed I was by the music I got to see.

I'm going to write up this report of it partially for my own sake, because so many of those past years' weekends have faded from the memory or at least blurred into one enormous jumble of a recollection with little to distinguish one year from another.

Friday

Girl Band – absolutely mindblowing, visceral set from the lads. Was well hammered by then, and the grenades were exploding both literally and figuratively. Went thrashing around in the moshpit like a maniac. The most exciting new Irish band in years, without a doubt. Cannot wait to see them live again.

Lau – They seemed decent enough but we were just sitting up on the hill under the thorny tree, some of us occasionally stumbling backwards down the slope, and generally having a great laugh.

Tune-yards – Holy mother of christ. I've had Water Fountain, Hey Life, and Gangsta going on a loop in my memory ever since. I had been doubtful about what Merrill & co. would be like live, because the songs on the albums vary from absolute genius to fairly annoying, but she delivered all of the genius.

Young Fathers – ended up going up the front for them, without really knowing any of their stuff, and thought they were fantastic. My memory gets even sketchier around this point. Think I went back to the campsite.

Saturday

Benjamin Booker – Fantastic set, and great energy from him. There seemed to be an issue with the sound though, as the vocal was all mashed in the mix and it made it less enjoyable than it should have been, which is a shame. It was the only time all weekend that I thought the sound was poor though, as it was otherwise impeccable (particularly in that same tent later for Temples and White Denim).

Hozier – wasn't all that pushed myself but some of the crew wanted to see him so went along. I was pleasantly surprised, I have to say. His songs were much more bluesy than I would have expected. The crowd was absolutely insane for him though, we had to nearly fight our way back out of it. It was headliner-sized crowd, with mostly younger people. Great to see all the young ones singing along and showing their appreciation for a new musician.

Temples – Incredible set. Almost every song has a terrific hook, without being too flimsy or poppy. Nice psychedelic rock vibe to them.

White Denim – Jawdropping musicianship coupled with superb songs. Had only listened to a scattering of their songs prior to the Picnic but will be getting all their albums now and catching them live any time they return. Guitar, bass, and drums were all played with staggering proficiency, vocals were spot on, and the energy was palpable in the tent. One of the great discoveries of the weekend. Everyone must see them live and be converted.

London Grammar – Beautiful and powerful. That voice, jesus christ. The Electric Arena was barely able to contain the power of it.

Portishead – Without doubt the most singular, astonishing performance I caught all weekend. Was listening to Sean Moncrieff in the car on Monday and he had Hugh Linehan on from the Irish Times talking about the music – they joked about Portishead being dinner party music and a terrible choice for the late night slot etc. Were you even there, Hugh? What the ****? Anyone I spoke to afterwards who happened to be there, particularly if they were very close to the front like we were, shared our opinion. As someone already said in this thread, it was a near religious experience. Immaculate sound engineering made every discordant chord sound as spine-tingling as intended, and every single person on stage played with total perfection, particularly Beth herself, whose voice was like a mesmerising dispatch from another realm. Those like Hugh Linehan who bizarrely thought it was downtempo surely weren't there for Silence, Machine Gun, The Rip, or the extended closer We Carry On which had me and all around me dancing like crazy. One of the greatest live experiences I've ever had, after years of gigs and festivals. Well worth the twenty-year wait since I first heard Mysterons on late-night Channel 4 back in the day and was instantly entranced.

Kate Boy – Saw a bit of these in B&S, but wasn't hugely impressed. One or two tracks were decent but I felt they were a poor man's The Knife, to be honest. Didn't really grab me.

Dorian Concept/Joy Orbison – In to the rave then for the next few hours. Top-notch techno, and couldn't take my eyes off the lasers in the trees. The place was absolutely jammed to the hilt though, and my head was wrecked by people constantly pushing past to get to the front of the stage, so my dancing buzz was interrupted every minute or so. Very enjoyable though, for the music, and having a bit of craic with some people nearby.

Sunday

Laura Mvula – Class voice, and a good performance. Love the jazzy composition of her songs; it's clear she had formal musical training. The one thing lacking, though, was a bit of brass – she just had a harp and a few strings along with the drums, and some brass would have added some punch.

Neneh Cherry – Saw the start of her set, which sounded terrific. She had great energy on stage, dancing around like mad. Had to leave though because I wanted to see...

Drenge – Blinding set from Drenge. Had heard the album once and liked it but never knew they were only a two-piece. They make some racket between them, and the drummer tried to make ****e of one of his drums at the end, which is always enjoyable to witness.

St. Vincent – I thought she was class. Sure, the performance was all meticulously choreographed, but that was the nature of this set she's playing. People looking for her to rough it up a bit more are missing the point, although I can see why many might not have liked it. I did get annoyed at the few dickwads recording it on phones though, after the initial announcement (in a robotic voice) that asked people to please not record it.

Beck – Very good, although we were a bit further back and I don't think we caught the atmosphere as well as we did at most other sets over the weekend. I've seen him a few times by now and he's always good.

Mogwai – By god, Mogwai fairly blew the Electric Arena wide open. Incendiary stuff, completely earmelting and spinetingling. Perfect way to cap the main arena lineup on Sunday for me. Shame they clashed with Slowdive though.

Caught the end of Come On Live Long, who were very good as usual, and the start of Attention Bebe, who we had to escape because all of those songs were absolute garbage at the time they were released so the nineties pop nostalgia thing only works for people who either weren't around then, who were little children then, or who had bad taste at the time and thought the likes of Maniac was actually a good song. Or people who appreciate a bit of kitsch, which I sometimes do but couldn't stick that night.

King Kong Company sounded class, but we sat on the ground having a laugh at the back of the Salty Dog area during it so I didn't even see the cool Lego man until watching it on Youtube there now.

Kormac's Big Band were the special guests at the end of B&S main stage, and we caught the start of them but left again cos it was a bit jammed.

All in all, had an absolute blast and enjoyed every minute of it. Met some great people each night because I couldn't stop approaching random strangers and striking up conversations with them. Caught up with a sound crew of people on Saturday with similar tastes and sensibilities and managed to meet up with them again on Sunday for most of the night.

Toilets I thought were sound. Particularly the ones in the main arena. People giving out about them by saying "some of them didn't have any bog roll in them" obviously haven't been to many festivals/concerts... I was shocked at the amount of times there was fresh bog roll in the toilets.

Food was great as ever. Not a great selection in Oscar Wilde though, which was a shame. Had a Pie Minister pie in the arena. A neighbour of ours in the campsite, a sound lad called Oisín, was evangelising to me and anyone else who'd listen to him about the steak sandwich that the Eco Bus was selling in the arena. We took his advice and got one on the Sunday, and I was only sorry I didn't have more of them over the weekend... Gorgeous beef, cooked to order (!), with loads of Ballymaloe relish too. Savage sandwich. They were out of ciabatta by the time we got there so we had to make do with wraps but they were still unbelievably tasty. Good call, Oisín!

Still not right after the weekend though. Back to a load of work this morning and had to take a break to get all of this written down before it starts fading away again.

Probably the most fun I've had at a Picnic since the legendary 2005, which is a massive surprise for me given my trepidation beforehand about a possibly changed demographic, lots of poppy stuff on the bill, reports about last year having gone downhill, etc. Now I just have to find a way to scrape together the reduced ticket price for next year before the end of this month...

H8GHOTI wrote: »
    That's ****. What happened? Swiped from tent when you weren't there?

nope, taken out of my bag down by the main stage. Now I shouldn't have carried all the cash in my wallet, usually would stash some down my socks but was hurrying in to see the Foals.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Right Turn Clyde

There is and always has been a snobbish element to Electric picnic.

Anybody who causes trouble or looks young is immediately classed as an oxegen type.
    If something is stolen, well sure it must have been an oxegen type, why don't they just **** off to punchestown etc.

Not everyone who went to oxygens was a thieving 16 year old on e

I came across alot of drugs at ep, most taken and supplied by people in their 30's and 40's who've never been to oxegen, so are they classed an EP type?

While I enjoyed the picnic this year it was and remains a middle class festival.

I agree with everything except this generalisation. You're actually guilty of a type of snobbery yourself here.

Oxegen ran from 2004-2011. You can't confidently say that the Picnic's 30 & 40 year olds never attended Oxegen (when they would have been in their 20s and 30s). In my anecdotal experience, the Picnic is well supplied by previous festival goers, be it Witnness, Oxegen, Garden Party, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

In fairness the people on pills are no danger to anyone, if anything all they want to do is dance and love everyone :D As was evident in the Rave, you couldn't move without seeing someone yipped to bits and there was no trouble there any night, I think!

Made the strange decision of dropping for Portishead and it was the greatest experience of my life!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭A Brad Maddox Guy

Dowdy wrote: »

Toilets I thought were sound. Particularly the ones in the main arena. People giving out about them by saying "some of them didn't have any bog roll in them" obviously haven't been to many festivals/concerts... I was shocked at the amount of times there was fresh bog roll in the toilets...

Maybe I was just desparately unlucky but every cubicle in the main arena I tried on Saturday was a sh*t-covered state. I didn't bother checking campsite bogs based on experience of previous picnics. No big deal as I got into one on Sunday afternoon straight after it was cleaned and even at the time I was enjoying myself far too much to care.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭roll

nope, taken out of my bag down by the main stage. Now I shouldn't have carried all the cash in my wallet, usually would stash some down my socks but was hurrying in to see the Foals.

Same thing happened to my mrs. She had her purse in a back pack thing... I'm 6'4" so she stands in front of me at gigs-we were at chic and i went to the bar and when i came back her back pack was open.... they obviously were staking her out and moved when i left.... to be fair to police they were very nice to her as she was upset and lets face it there wasn't much they could do.... profoundly annoying but we refused to let it ruin the sunday (mind you, queuing for an hour sunday arvo for cash nearly did!)

Toilets I thought were sound. Particularly the ones in the main arena. People giving out about them by saying "some of them didn't have any bog roll in them" obviously haven't been to many festivals/concerts... I was shocked at the amount of times there was fresh bog roll in the toilets.
    same, they were spotless for me and had multiple rolls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Right Turn Clyde

In fairness the people on pills are no danger to anyone, if anything all they want to do is dance and love everyone

Absolutely. I've lost count of the number of festivals I've been to over the years, along with one-off gigs like Godskitchen and Winter Party. And at all of those the people that caused trouble were usually drunk. Of course you'll get the odd die-hard scumbag, and it won't matter what s/he's on. But generally speaking, people on pills aren't the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭slaneylad

Dorian Concept/Joy Orbison – In to the rave then for the next few hours. Top-notch techno, and couldn't take my eyes off the lasers in the trees. The place was absolutely jammed to the hilt though, and my head was wrecked by people constantly pushing past to get to the front of the stage, so my dancing buzz was interrupted every minute or so. Very enjoyable though, for the music, and having a bit of craic with some people nearby.

The lasers for Dorian concept were class.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Repolho

No, it was inside the venue. But one of the staff in pink moon told me that some girls phone was stolen from her tent in pink moon on Friday night too.

A bit of a long shot but I found a purse on Sun night in the Body & Soul area, maybe you lost it rather than stolen?
    It was a pink wallet/purse with studs on it, I found it on one of those benches/huts where there was giant jenga. I didn't check it for ID or even open it at all but it was quite heavy and obviously packed full of coins! I handed it to the security guard who was outside the Upstage tent. To be honest he seemed to have no idea what to do with it be he said he would pass it on to his supervisor. I hope it finds its way back to its owner.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭breakfasttime

I'm after getting three different loyalty offer codes from Picnic has this happened to anyone else? I got one code for 2 or more and 2 codes for 3 or more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

I'm after getting three different loyalty offer codes from Picnic has this happened to anyone else? I got one code for 2 or more and 2 codes for 3 or more.

Any chance I could get one of the 3+ codes if you're not using it :)

Thank you!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement