Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2014 ** NO TICKET DISCUSSION ALLOWED ** see new mod note

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Repolho

This was my first Electric Picnic since 2005 and I'm mad for more! I bought my ticket second hand. Is there any way I can get a loyalty price ticket using my wristband or something or is it only if you have purchased online from ticketmaster?

Thanks.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Effects wrote: »
    Yeah, that makes loads of sense. The promoter is really going to lose money by security letting in mates for free when all the tickets for the event have already been sold anyway. It's got nothing to do with hiring a company that can handle 41,000 people as it's what they do on a regular basis.

security cant let people in, they dont have wristbands. sure they might get them in the gate but zone managers/ gate managers and other security companies on site will nab anyone without bands.

Theres a number of factors that caused the shift to no irish security, one is the actually lack of sufficent trained security in Ireland. And Also the FR element comng into it

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Fizzlesque

jadie wrote: »
    yeah but they were absolutely mank, no flushing working or anything.

I'm guessing there might be a touch of 'the luck of the draw' going on then, because I found them quite clean and they always had toilet roll in them and while I do agree that the flush-power did wane over the course of the weekend I still managed to get them to flush each time.

With the exception of one time: I arrived on Saturday about 1pm and the first toilet I went into (on the campsite) was seriously mank, blocked, not flushing, and stomach churningly smelly. I remember hoping this wasn't indicative of the kind of toilet experience ahead of me for the weekend and was pleasantly surprised when it turned out to be a one-off.

Mind you, I was given a pearl of pure festival wisdom by the very lovely Whoopsadaisydoodles, which is to use the toilets further back, towards the corners and once I took Whoops' advice, I never met a terrible toilet again.

Anyway, toilet talk aside, I thought Pink Moon was worth every penny. A few years ago I paid for pre-pitched camping with a crowd called Tangerine Fields and they were totally useless. Their two man tent barely fitted on person, their toilets were sometimes mankier than the arena toilets, and they'd no cafe selling food and hot drinks etc. In my experience. Pink Moon camping was infinitely superior to Tangerine Fields.

I read a few posts back that you were robbed - very sorry to hear that, some people are characterless specimens with no redeeming qualities. I hope it didn't feck up your plans too much, Hopefully the good outshone the bad :).

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭jadie

roll wrote: »
    Same thing happened to my mrs. She had her purse in a back pack thing... I'm 6'4" so she stands in front of me at gigs-we were at chic and i went to the bar and when i came back her back pack was open.... they obviously were staking her out and moved when i left.... to be fair to police they were very nice to her as she was upset and lets face it there wasn't much they could do.... profoundly annoying but we refused to let it ruin the sunday (mind you, queuing for an hour sunday arvo for cash nearly did!)

Happened me friday night, my boyfriend was gone to meet his friend and I stupidly stayed by the middle of the main stage, some gang of lads pushed against me and a few mins later noticed the stuff was gone. If it had happened sunday night wouldn't have had hardly any cash left:mad: as it was had 180 in it. My iphone gone too then to top it off. Was really upset, was actually going to go home saturday but stayed and glad we did even if I am stone broke now. Talking to the guards, there was loads of stuff stolen, they had pages of incidents and that was only sat morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 jossys_giants

Easy Rod wrote: »
    My thoughts:

Will happily continue to pay for boutique camping, it's not great but so much better than the alternative!

Best gigs for me:

The Horrors - So much better in a dark atmospheric tent than on main stage during the day, thought they were amazing.

Foals - Not much left to be said.

Glass animals - Was at the back for LBT but was right up front at Body & Soul.

Wild Beasts - As enjoyable on a sunny afternoon as they would've been in a tent.

Le Galaxie - Great show.

BBC - Perfect band for a sunny afternoon.

London Grammar - What a voice.

Booka Brass band - Great craic.

Sunday was definitely noticeably too busy which was annoying but I didn't see too many knackers and never felt intimidated or in danger.

where you at a boutique music festival or Syria? :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭jadie

Repolho wrote: »
    A bit of a long shot but I found a purse on Sun night in the Body & Soul area, maybe you lost it rather than stolen?
    It was a pink wallet/purse with studs on it, I found it on one of those benches/huts where there was giant jenga. I didn't check it for ID or even open it at all but it was quite heavy and obviously packed full of coins! I handed it to the security guard who was outside the Upstage tent. To be honest he seemed to have no idea what to do with it be he said he would pass it on to his supervisor. I hope it finds its way back to its owner.

ah thank you, that's not mine unfortunately. Hopefully the security guard passed it on to lost and found for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

Gaspode wrote: »
    I found the filth left behind by people appalling - Oscar Wilde in particular looked like a war zone on monday afternoon. And we say the travellers are dirty! Even aside from the dirt, the amount of food, drink, clothes, tents, sleeping bags, chairs etc just abandoned was sickening - so much greed, gluttony and waste. Presumably this will all end up in landfill before the week is out.

As much is giving back to charity as possible as far as i know.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

I'm after getting three different loyalty offer codes from Picnic has this happened to anyone else? I got one code for 2 or more and 2 codes for 3 or more.
    yep, and my code for 2 EPs is the same as one for 3 EPs too :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

I got 3 codes somehow - 2x 3 festivals and 1x 2.

Not complaining though...

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Evil Sausage

maximoose wrote: »
    I got 3 codes somehow - 2x 3 festivals and 1x 2.

Not complaining though...

Same - not expecting the first 2 they sent me to work though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭Rfrip

where you at a boutique music festival or Syria? :-)

Still shattered and severe post picnic blues so thank you so much for making me laugh out loud there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

It seems the vast majority of reports have all been massively positive. Very little moaning or complaining on here which is amazing really!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,543 ✭✭✭Duff

Only feel right today and my voice still sounds like I'm hitting puberty. Booked 2 days in Liverpool for this weekend last night to help me get over my severe EP blues. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭roll

Same - not expecting the first 2 they sent me to work though

same here too....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

I sent a message asking for my 2 or less years one to be changed to a 3+ one since that's what I should have but they haven't got back to me yet. Anyone had a reply from them? Excluding the original automated email they sent out..

• Registered Users Posts: 26 PBB

Dowdy wrote: »

Benjamin Booker – Fantastic set, and great energy from him. There seemed to be an issue with the sound though, as the vocal was all mashed in the mix and it made it less enjoyable than it should have been, which is a shame. It was the only time all weekend that I thought the sound was poor though, as it was otherwise impeccable (particularly in that same tent later for Temples and White Denim).

Was there and thought the sound was pretty true to his sound, have a listen to the album and see what you think...

He was highlight of my weekend, love his sound and proper rock n' roll attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 PBB

I sent a message asking for my 2 or less years one to be changed to a 3+ one since that's what I should have but they haven't got back to me yet. Anyone had a reply from them? Excluding the original automated email they sent out..

Yeh, took about 24 hours but they sorted me out with same issue

• Registered Users Posts: 1 tierneyO

had an absolutely amazing weekend... top notch cant wait for next year

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

I wasn't sent a code so emailed them last night. Got a reply with a code this morning and it doesn't work so replied again. Waiting on a response now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭A Brad Maddox Guy

What's the address you email if they've given you the wrong code? They only gave me a 2 or Less one when I should be 3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

PBB wrote: »
    Was there and thought the sound was pretty true to his sound, have a listen to the album and see what you think...

He was highlight of my weekend, love his sound and proper rock n' roll attitude.

Yeah I was there and thought he was great. Was quite close to him when he hopped into the crowd and started running through, didn't know where he was going! Turns out he was just going outside to put out his fag :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

What's the address you email if they've given you the wrong code? They only gave me a 2 or Less one when I should be 3.

I used the contact us bit on the Ticket Master Website. Just put in some blurb and it will bring up a tab to send them a message.
    http://www.ticketmaster.ie/h/help.html?tm_link=tm_homeA_ql_3

• Registered Users Posts: 22,424 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Some of my favourite parts of the weekend (no particular order)

1. Eco Campsite -
    Sorry for the schadenfreude, but it was kinda funny looking out over the fense of our exclusive eco-campsite into the shanty town that was the Oscar Wilde Campsite

The guys there were really friendly, we had our own chill out tent with music 24 hours a day, and there was loads of space so even if you arrived on the saturday morning, you would have had loads of space to pitch your tent and it was just nice to not be surrounded by rubbish everywhere on the monday morning

2. Taking the back entrance to the rave
    The normal entrance to the 'Red Bull Music Acadamy' was just behind the oscar wilde campsite, but it was much more fun to take the long way around and cut through the woods and arrive from the back. Also, on the way back, there was a river in the way so us and a bunch of random strangers cooperated to build a bridge to get across

3. Portishead were very cool, as were Mogwai - Jason Byrne was very funny in his own unique way

4. Burritos! yummy!

5. Little piano shed in the woods where anyone could play did play. Good craic)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭sebcity

Akrasia wrote: »

5. Little piano shed in the woods where anyone could play did play. Good
    craic)

Passed there a few times - there were serious sing songs going on!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,543 ✭✭✭Duff

sebcity wrote: »
    Passed there a few times - there were serious sing songs going on!!

As did I. Seen some fella giving it socks playing it with his forehead and elbows. Much laughter ensued.

Akrasia wrote: »
    Some of my favourite parts of the weekend (no particular order)

1. Eco Campsite -
    Sorry for the schadenfreude, but it was kinda funny looking out over the fense of our exclusive eco-campsite into the shanty town that was the Oscar Wilde Campsite

The guys there were really friendly, we had our own chill out tent with music 24 hours a day, and there was loads of space so even if you arrived on the saturday morning, you would have had loads of space to pitch your tent and it was just nice to not be surrounded by rubbish everywhere on the monday morning

2. Taking the back entrance to the rave
    The normal entrance to the 'Red Bull Music Acadamy' was just behind the oscar wilde campsite, but it was much more fun to take the long way around and cut through the woods and arrive from the back. Also, on the way back, there was a river in the way so us and a bunch of random strangers cooperated to build a bridge to get across

3. Portishead were very cool, as were Mogwai - Jason Byrne was very funny in his own unique way

4. Burritos! yummy!

5. Little piano shed in the woods where anyone could play did play. Good craic)

How does one get into the eco campsite?

I missed the leave no trace guys. They were the ones that would visit you on the Friday with an empty bag for recycling and one for rubbish. Always mad sound too.

Also really miss the eco-cups. Great souvenirs :(

Overall great time. Security did annoy me when they took the last of my green off me on Sunday. I'd only gone up to ask if I could bring cans in and they searched me!

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Dowdy

PBB wrote: »

I have listened to the album, multiple times, and I love it, which is why he was one of the acts I was most looking forward to. Like I said, it was a fantastic set and I really enjoyed it, I just felt the vocal got lost. His album is fairly rocking, but you can hear his voice quite distinctly. Maybe it was better a little closer to the stage – I was about halfway in from the back, around the middle.

I did notice that he seemed to have issues with the vocal and/or guitar mix in the Other Voices set broadcast on RTÉ – he kept gesturing for it to be turned up during the songs.

Check out his vocal during Old Hearts here at Other Voices (the song is incorrectly titled by the YouTube uploader):

That's what he sounded like to me at the Cosby stage too. Just badly mixed so that the vocal was mashed and largely indistinct. The album doesn't sound like that.

Compare that with this clip from another fest. Different song (couldn't find another clip of Old Hearts live), but the relative clarity of the vocal is pretty apparent (unless your ears were destroyed by Mogwai on Sunday night):

Most of the guys who came along with me to Booker, after I had been raving to them about how great he would be, ended up leaving after a few songs and sitting outside because the sound quality was wrecking their heads. They said afterwards that it sounded better to them sitting outside the tent on the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭seamey beag84

We took that route thru the woods aswell to get raving.. Adventure time! it was so dark we didn't see the river and one of us dropped straight into it. The water came up to his waist! We were lucky it wasn't any deeper. I had a pain in my face for the Sunday from laughing at him. He was pouring water out of his wellies hours after. The whole weekend was hilarious and every act was on top form, food delicious, great weather and fantastic people. What a weekend..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭byrneg28

Anyone else really pissed that FKA Twigs cancelled :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

byrneg28 wrote: »
    Anyone else really pissed that FKA Twigs cancelled :(

Yep especially as I left Metronomy who were great!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement