Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2014 ** NO TICKET DISCUSSION ALLOWED ** see new mod note

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

My 3rd and Best EP so far! Serious post festival blues, even now. Was in the absolute horrors trying to sleep last night.

My highlights of the weekend:
    Oscar Wilde this year as opposed to Hendrix was a nicer camping experience and our camp was easier to find from the arena.
    Weather all weekend was much better than expected, got burnt to a crisp on Sunday.
    Many cheery chats with randomly encountered strangers, even outside the medical tent.
    The Trampz
    Foals
    Booka Brass Band
    The Minutes
    The Salty Dog in general
    Sitting watching the Trinity Orchestra in the sun
    Having drinks in Trenchtown before entering the main arena
    Chilling in Body and Soul area a lot
    Euphorically dancing on mates shoulder at Flume
    Glass Animals
    Drenge(!!!)
    Mogwai (spent a lot of it lying on the ground, in bliss)
    Finishing off the weekend dancing at Kormac in Body and Soul (then staying up till it got bright talking ****)

Lowlights:
    Being a bit too sauced to remember much of Chic, Portishead or London Grammar...though I remember feeling I enjoyed them muchly
    Having to leave

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

Flume...

I totally forgot about Flume

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭byrneg28

Flume...

I totally forgot about Flume

Flume clashed with Duke Dumont and Hercules and Love Affair... so annoying, what was the story with all the stupid clashes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭sebcity

Being a bit too sauced to remember much of Chic, Portishead or London Grammar...though I remember feeling I enjoyed them muchly

Same for Chic! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭breakfasttime

sebcity wrote: »
    Same for Chic! :rolleyes:

Everybody dance, do do doo do, clap your hands clap your hands! *clap clap*
    Chic were phenomenal!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 Socorro

There was a deadly band on the body & soul main stage some time on saturday. Saxophones and trumpets and all, had loads of people dancing. Anyone see them or know their name?

• Registered Users Posts: 36 zuluchio

I'm after getting three different loyalty offer codes from Picnic has this happened to anyone else? I got one code for 2 or more and 2 codes for 3 or more.

I got the same number of codes including a incorrect one for the 3+ picnics

The code for 3+ picnics starts with EP3
    The code for 1-2 picnics starts with EP1

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

OK - rather than commenting on other's peoples experiences time to put up my own.

I enjoyed this picnic more than any other, although I was nervous of the line-up, wasn't particularly impressed by it. It probably suited me better as wasn't in a rush to get to loads of places.

The EP app posted here was the business. All the acts I wanted to see and the acts recommended here, I put reminders on. So over the weekend I had a ridiculous number of bands to see. Wouldn't say I got to a third of them, but that is the nature of a festival.

I went with hubby & 3 kids (we borrowed an extra one from a neighbour). So didn't really want to drag the kids around to too many weird stages. And limited time, energy, & interest wise by kids.

Friday night:

The Strypes were fantastic as usual. Third time seeing them at EP, they are getting so polished and turning into right little showmen.

Blondie - didn't enjoy at all. Band was good, her not so much.

Foals - they were good. They wouldn't be my cup of tea, we watched most of the performance and were very impressed.

Pet Shop Boys - they were good. Started slow, but got going really well. Left before the end. The horses/ram/reindeer horns were damn weird.

Saturday.
    Improv Allstars - were excellent again. Saw them last year and really enjoyed them.

The Blades/Omar Souleyman - this was a joint venture. We left husband in Cosby with the Blades and kids and I went to Rankins for Omar on the recommendation from here. We were ten minutes early so were standing at the front at the barriers. Within five minutes of Omar starting the place was hopping. This was the boys favourite performance of the weekend. The 12 & 13 year old loved Omar. Clapping and hopping around like a bunch of loonies. My hands were sore from clapping:pac:
    Went back for finale of The Blades, heard Ghost of a Chance:D And then brought husband back to Omar. The two of us stood at the side of the tent shaking our heads at how much the kids were loving it.

Went down for a few minutes of London Grammar - but her voice would give me a migraine at a hundred yards.

Stranglers/Hozier/Paola Nutini - were all good. Brought the lads to the front for Hozier which they really enjoyed.

Completely missed Portishead as we went out to Salty Dog, Trenchtown Jimi Hendrix for a Skittles milkshake, Heineken water feature thingy, and Rave in the Woods.

Only saw a few minutes of Chic as kids were fcuked and had to get them to bed. That is the only thing I really missed seeing.

And finally Rubberbandits - were simply brilliant. Was really surprised by how good they were. The abortion song/poem was fantastic.

Sunday

Wailers - brilliant. What great Sunday reggae entertainment.

The only act my daughter really wanted to see over the weekend was Lily Allen - she put on a great show. The Fcuk You song was hilarious, several thousand people with the middle finger up, including my 8 year old on my shoulders:eek: Not sure if serious dodgy parenting or not.

Outkast were good. Good to see them, another great performance.

Missed Beck as we went to funfair, up Ferris Wheel and wandered Body & Soul for a while. Great band on Earthship stage somewhere around then.

Saw 15 mins each of Laura Mvula, Kelis and Neneh Cherry. I thought sound for Kelis was off, her vocals were far too loud. Mvula and Cherry were brilliant, would love to have hung around for more.

There was just too many bands and performers on Sunday I wanted to see, really annoying that some of them not switched to Friday, when those tents were empty.

Lots of Pieminster, Wok 'n Roll, Ostrich burgers etc. Lots of games of Jenga and Connect 4. They got so competitive, there was nearly blood at times.

All and all, a great picnic. And I am buying tickets for next year this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭setanta74

Socorro wrote: »
    There was a deadly band on the body & soul main stage some time on saturday. Saxophones and trumpets and all, had loads of people dancing. Anyone see them or know their name?

Wonder was that "The Amazing Few"...i remember wandering through there and got caught up in the vibe between the Orc drummers and the band on the earthship...seemed the whole world was dancing at that moment...'twas pretty cool

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Socorro wrote: »

Quite possibly Interskalactic?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Allatom

Anyone see the two girls having a dance off and then scoring during Outkast

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭zsha

Is is just me does anybody else think its ridiculous that the tickets for next yr are on sale already and the early early ticket prices are only on sale for the month!!! What's the deal with that...
    Between that, and I'm still annoyed only day tickets allow you into the main area of field, not trenchtown / salty dog and cant leave if you've a child to drop home! I just don't know how they expect people to be ok with all this!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

zsha wrote: »
    Is is just me does anybody else think its ridiculous that the tickets for next yr are on sale already and the early early ticket prices are only on sale for the month!!! What's the deal with that...
    Between that, and I'm still annoyed only day tickets allow you into the main area of field, not trenchtown / salty dog and cant leave if you've a child to drop home! I just don't know how they expect people to be ok with all this!

The earlybird ticket will be back on sale again at a later stage.

Do you think it will be the same price though??

• Registered Users Posts: 26 PBB

Dowdy wrote: »

I did notice that he seemed to have issues with the vocal and/or guitar mix in the Other Voices set broadcast on RTÉ – he kept gesturing for it to be turned up during the songs.

We're largely in agreement so - he's deadly, one of the highlights and his album is awesome. I also watched the Other voices on TV, with my kids who were up the front with me in Cosby and we were all disappointed with the quality of the sound from the Other voices recording...

Can't imagine he's an easy guy to do sound for... reminded of the story about the BBC radio team trying to extinguish the feedback from Jimi Hendrix's debut on Radio 1...

Looking forward to him coming to Dublin and playing an Olympia or similar venue.. See you there !

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

zsha wrote: »

It's a low-risk scenario for anyone to buy the early bird tickets. If the line-up ends up a disappointment, you can still flog your tickets (at face value mind - no touting) to eager buyers in the weeks leading up to the festival. And by the looks of it - they'll have little problem shifting lots of early bird tickets just on the record of EP.

Sunday tickets are a bit of poor deal alright, but they should really just be a limited affair for locals or whatever (ala Glastonbury) - festivals should really be a full-commitment or nowt arrangement to my mind. Down with the bridges and tunnels crowd arriving smelling fresh on Sunday!

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭mickeyboymel

I for 1 think it's a brilliant idea putting the early birds up on the day after the festival, and will be buying mine with my loyalty code tomorrow when I get paid. If anything it sures up the lineup for next year, the more they can sell early , the better position the festival will be when it comes to making bookings next year. It's not so very long ago that the entire future of the event was in doubt with court cases etc, and is bound to be a successful move as more will buy when the memories are still fresh from a great weekend. If anything it demonstrates the rock solid future of the best festival this side of Worthy Farm!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

sadie06 wrote: »
    The earlybird ticket will be back on sale again at a later stage.

Yeah on this, they're saying it'll be next year

http://electricpicnic.ie/electricpicnic2015ticketsnowonsale

Dunno why but always assumed the instalment plan tickets were a bit more expensive. Only saw there that they're the exact same price. Pretty handy.

alastair wrote: »
    festivals should really be a full-commitment or nowt arrangement to my mind. Down with the bridges and tunnels crowd arriving smelling fresh on Sunday!

I am a local and would of loved to have brought in my son but couldn't cuz couldn't leave.

[HTML]I for 1 think it's a brilliant idea putting the early birds up on the day after the festival, and will be buying mine with my loyalty code tomorrow when I get paid. If anything it sures up the lineup for next year, the more they can sell early , the better position the festival will be when it comes to making bookings next year. It's not so very long ago that the entire future of the event was in doubt with court cases etc, and is bound to be a successful move as more will buy when the memories are still fresh from a great weekend. If anything it demonstrates the rock solid future of the best festival this side of Worthy Farm![/HTML]

I never thought of it that way, I suppose when you say it like that it does make sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭tolow

What a weekend, still only getting back to myself.

Some great acts over the weekend. Dimitri from vegas rocked the bacardi bar on the friday night, Annie Mac was decent enough even though her set was very similar to a set she played at ushuaia a couple of weeks back, Krystal Klear absolutely rocked the little big tent as did Bicep. Both them played a couple of classics which really got the crowd going. Krystal Klear dropped Orbital-Halcyon at the end of his set, what a beautiful track. I really enjoyed Joy O's set. I was surprised by Duke Dumont on Sunday he played some absolute belters I was expected a much more cheesey set from him tbh. I caught about an hour of Pleasurekraft who I was also really impressed by, the place went mental when he dropped I got a feeling. Kelis also surprised me, I caught the last couple of her songs and really enjoyed them. Then outkast were just great craic altogether.

The rave in the woods really is a crazy scene altogether, I seen a couple of people taken away by paramedics over the course of the weekend. One thing that surprised me most over the weekend was the number of people on pillls, it wasn't even just young people but also a lot of older people.

Roll on next year!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,424 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

How does one get into the eco campsite?

I missed the leave no trace guys. They were the ones that would visit you on the Friday with an empty bag for recycling and one for rubbish. Always mad sound too.

You just had to send them an email to book your place. They said they hope to be back next year and have a much bigger area

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

tolow wrote: »
    One thing that surprised me most over the weekend was the number of people on pillls, it wasn't even just young people but also a lot of older people.

I actually saw a man in his mid 40's being walked into the first aid tent in family camping in the early hours of Sunday morning when I got up to use the loo. He was white as a sheet, and looked like he had been out all night.

I was picturing the scene: "You bring the kids home love…I'm gonna stay out for a while". Ends up at the Rave in the Woods, gets offered something and thinks "Sure I did this all the time in my 20's….what could go wrong?".

I could of course be wildly wrong, but I know if I tried to get up to the antics I did in my 20's, I'd end up in a first aid tent (if not worse) also! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭MojoRisinnnn

Does anyone know the song Foals played second or third last in their set? It had a heavy riff towards to end they started speeding it up incredibly fast over about 30 seconds, didn't recognise it and would love to know what it was! I checked setlist.fm but it's completely wrong as they didn't play Balloons or Milk and Black Spiders

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

jadie wrote: »
    was hurrying in to see the Foals.

Foals

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

tolow wrote: »
    What a weekend, still only getting back to myself.

Some great acts over the weekend. Dimitri from vegas rocked the bacardi bar on the friday night, ..........

Dimitri from Vegas ???

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

I've already bought my ticket for 2015 for 160 euro

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Socorro

alastair wrote: »
    Quite possibly Interskalactic?

Yeah that must have been them, they were great!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,543 ✭✭✭Duff

lbj666 wrote: »
    Dimitri from Vegas ???

Well, there is a mini Eiffel Tower in Vegas..

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭tolow

lbj666 wrote: »
    Dimitri from Vegas ???

Jesus sorry my bad dimitri from paris. Don't know what made me say vegas. Can't stand his stuff. Some really nice tracks from dimitri from paris. He played a real nice mix of FCL-It's you if i remember correctly! He really had the crowd going, never really heard him play before tbh but was impressed!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,404 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

Hozier got the biggest crowd of the weekend apparently.

http://youtu.be/SItZgvYzLLU

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement