Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2014 ** NO TICKET DISCUSSION ALLOWED ** see new mod note

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

Seriously how much fun were Le Galaxie!!

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Cowabunga

Fatfrog wrote: »
    Seriously how much fun were Le Galaxie!!

Heard they where amazing. But, as at every picnic I've been to, I'm spent by that hour. Food in the tent and all! I get so much in daytime haha!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

We were at the back of pink moon which made that long walk to The Arena particularly hateful. Seen a few scale the fence to avoid it.

Join the club, last year there was an entrance at the little chippie half way to salty dog, that would have been so much handier to have it there again

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭NewCorkLad

IF you bought your camper van ticket at the start, when did they post it out to you does anyone know from this year? Thanks.

I booked mine in May didn't get the ticket till the week before EP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭Denalihighway

skirtgirl wrote: »
    Gosh I have really bad post Electric Picnic Blues, I wish it was this time last week, when I was awake with the excitment :(

you're not alone Skirtgirl - totally normal after what is always a mindblowing time at something like the electric picnic. There's a lot of people in the same boat this week, though they mightn't say. Throw in the tiredness / hangovers / depression etc as a result of what a lot of us do to our bodies over the wknd - and you've got a great recipe for the blues!

I've been to 9 EPs, and I still get a bit of that. Always the same. You can't get that high (whether its legal, illegal, or both) without the comedown. Hits some people harder than others, same as the other things in life.

Keep busy, talk to your mates and start planning your next gig! The blues will lift in the coming days. Take care :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭dmm82

I have to say, its so nice to know other people are still feeling rough after it, i feel like I have a black cloud over me all week, still getting teary eyed when I hear one of the acts I went to see playing on the radio. Looking forward to getting back to normal! The cough/ cold and sore throat I still have aren't helping either. . but still can't wait to do it all again next year! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭mickeyboymel

I get the blues after Glastonbury each year, but the thoughts and planning soon turn to Electric Picnic, but when it's over the depression really sets in as there is nothing at all on the horizon, yes good advise above - Book a GIG & Have something to look forward to - We all went to Cois Farraige The weekend after the picnic a few years back so had no time to get depressed!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

this is a great support thread for post-festival blues! i'm the same, just been a bit down all week. just a bit empty or something lol. i might be heading to pitchfork festival in Paris soon but that's no cure, european crowds are terrible, not a patch on Irish crowds.

also, does anyone else notice that music just sounds way better after a big festival? it's like every song on my hypemachine stream is a belter and favourited

• Registered Users Posts: 12,547 ✭✭✭✭siblers

this is a great support thread for post-festival blues! i'm the same, just been a bit down all week. just a bit empty or something lol. i might be heading to pitchfork festival in Paris soon but that's no cure, european crowds are terrible, not a patch on Irish crowds.

also, does anyone else notice that music just sounds way better after a big festival? it's like every song on my hypemachine stream is a belter and favourited

I can't stop dancing to music, was at the gym the day after EP and I was boogying away to Foals without even realising it. Oddest thing I found was dealing with how quiet it was, I live next to a woods and it was strange not to hear music pumping from it :(

Birneybau wrote: »
    You have got to be kidding, the line up is exactly what it should be. It's meant to be an alternative festival, like Primavera, thank God there's no Arctic Monkeys or Kings of Leon and there is Portishead, Beck, St. Vincent, the Horrors...

I agree that the lineup was great (especially since I wasn't there, and still mourning what could have been :( ) but Arctic Monkeys struck me as an odd example to back up your point. I'm not a huge fan but I think AM was a great album, possibly their best yet (although I have a soft spot for Humbug too.)

Yes, they're commercially successful but musically they're not exactly "sell outs" or anything. I saw them at EP last year (well, half of their set before catching the end of The Knife) and enjoyed it. I don't see why they wouldn't be, or shouldn't be, an EP act just 'cause they've sold a few more records than Portishead have. If you were to argue that Arctic Monkeys didn't belong there, could you not also say the same for other potentially great EP acts, like Radiohead or Arcade Fire (now even more well known than when they played before), who've enjoyed commercial success?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying EP should go book Nicki Minaj or anything but sometimes there isn't a correlation between what's popular and what's ****....even if that is how the charts makes it seem a lot of the time! :p

If it's a case of Arctic Monkeys attracting the "wrong types of people" for EP....well, that's something you can't really blame the band for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,376 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

If you were to argue that Arctic Monkeys didn't belong there, could you not also say the same for other potentially great EP acts, like Radiohead or Arcade Fire, who've enjoyed commercial success?

Played at least twice including Headlining in 2011

Played at least twice including Headlining in 2011

I know, I saw them there in 2011. But they're probably even more well known now than back then so I'm wondering if they're still considered an "EP act" if the point of the festival is that it's meant to be "alternative"? Personally wouldn't bother me, I'd love to see them at EP again (although I must admit I didn't care for Reflektor that much)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,727 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

I agree that the lineup was great (especially since I wasn't there, and still mourning what could have been :( ) but Arctic Monkeys struck me as an odd example to back up your point. I'm not a huge fan but I think AM was a great album, possibly their best yet (although I have a soft spot for Humbug too.)

Yes, they're commercially successful but musically they're not exactly "sell outs" or anything. I saw them at EP last year (well, half of their set before catching the end of The Knife) and enjoyed it. I don't see why they wouldn't be, or shouldn't be, an EP act just 'cause they've sold a few more records than Portishead have. If you were to argue that Arctic Monkeys didn't belong there, could you not also say the same for other potentially great EP acts, like Radiohead or Arcade Fire (now even more well known than when they played before), who've enjoyed commercial success?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying EP should go book Nicki Minaj or anything but sometimes there isn't a correlation between what's popular and what's ****....even if that is how the charts makes it seem a lot of the time! :p

If it's a case of Arctic Monkeys attracting the "wrong types of people" for EP....well, that's something you can't really blame the band for.

Well said.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

I know, I saw them there in 2011. But they're probably even more well known now than back then so I'm wondering if they're still considered an "EP act" if the point of the festival is that it's meant to be "alternative"? Personally wouldn't bother me, I'd love to see them at EP again (although I must admit I didn't care for Reflektor that much)

I think they reached peak popularity when Neon Bible came out, No Cars go, Intervention and Keeping the car running got more radio play than anything off the suburbs or reflector. They have played 10 shows here, most people who have wanted to see them have. But like most i'd be happy to see them back unlike AM or the Killers. I think they will always be a picnic band because of their fondness of the festival and that set everyone has heard about in 05.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

The early bird tickets is gone up to €195 which in turn means the normal price will revert back to somewhere in the region of €240/250 for next year?
    The capacity will be increased again! I think it is the beginning of the end.
    The RTE coverage was terrible and yet i think it will encourage a certain type of person to go that in my opinion is the opposite of who should be going.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Yarghhh

Bowlardo wrote: »
    The early bird tickets is gone up to €195 which in turn means the normal price will revert back to somewhere in the region of €240/250 for next year?
    The capacity will be increased again! I think it is the beginning of the end.
    The RTE coverage was terrible and yet i think it will encourage a certain type of person to go that in my opinion is the opposite of who should be going.

The early bird ticket was always 195 for people who hadn't been to a previous EP.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

Would like to thank all of you guys who used the Android app, spread the word and left reviews on the play store. I had 3,300 downloads, which is great. Feels good to have helped so many people plan their weekend. I even had some people say "hey have you seen this app?" .. which felt really mad.

The app was the absolute business. Thanks so much for it. It made planning what we were doing for the weekend so easy - didn't get to a third of the stuff I had on the itinerary :rolleyes:

I was probably would of the people raving about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

lbj666 wrote: »
    I think they reached peak popularity when Neon Bible came out, No Cars go, Intervention and Keeping the car running got more radio play than anything off the suburbs or reflector. They have played 10 shows here, most people who have wanted to see them have. But like most i'd be happy to see them back unlike AM or the Killers. I think they will always be a picnic band because of their fondness of the festival and that set everyone has heard about in 05.

What was the 05 set like? I was but a wee young lad then :o

• Registered Users Posts: 18,005 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Just watching the chic set again on RTE, fcuk me they were outstanding, gig of the festival for me.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

I remember seeing them on the main stage during the day at Oxegen 2007 and the crowd were just not into it, despite the band giving it their all. It made for a strange atmosphere. It seemed to be a case of wrong band, wrong time, wrong setting.

I'd love to see them in an indoor setting like The Point (or 3Arena as it's called now).

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Manchegan

I remember seeing them on the main stage during the day at Oxegen 2007 and the crowd were just not into it, despite the band giving it their all. It made for a strange atmosphere. It seemed to be a case of wrong band, wrong time, wrong setting.

They got all their ducks lined up this year at Glastonbury. Killed it IMHO.

Is it possible to watch the music sets on RTE Player without having to suffer that tosser Eoghan McDermott?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

What was the 05 set like? I was but a wee young lad then :o

I wasn't there , like most people who talk about it :D
    They were touring funeral and only starting to make a name for themselves. It was their first irish gig and was highly anticipated. If they werent an unbelievable live band like they certainly were back then (less so now) no one would be talking about it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvb4JSBvjfI#t=457

• Registered Users Posts: 18,005 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Dave fanning should have been presenting the rte show.

Coverage actually wasn't bad, interviews were interesting, was just that young pleb that ruined it.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

I wasn't there , like most people who talk about it :D

I was there. Went to Goldfrapp before them, and Royksopp after them, but have no recollection of seeing Arcade Fire, so I guess I was either eating, or they made no impression. Kraftwerk, on the other hand, were fab.

Edit: just checked - I went to David O'Doherty instead!

alastair wrote: »
    I was there. Went to Goldfrapp before them, and Royksopp after them, but have no recollection of seeing Arcade Fire, so I guess I was either eating, or they made no impression. Kraftwerk, on the other hand, were fab.

I was there too, Hot Chip were on before Goldfrapp in the EA too if i remember right, stayed there the whole of Saturday.

Crowd sang Wake Up at them as they walked onto the stage so they immediately broke into it instead of playing it at the end. Amazing atmosphere, similar to St. Vincent/David Byrne last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

I was there too, Hot Chip were on before Goldfrapp in the EA too if i remember right, stayed there the whole of Saturday.

I opted to go to The Herbalizer instead of Hot Chip, but I'd seen them supporting Goldfrapp earlier in the Olympia*.

Great line-up.

Edit: no I didn't. That was 2006. Doh!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I'm guessing that alastair hadn't a clue what he was doing during the noughties! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

That was a nice read. Always cool seeing other peoples perspectives/experiences at Electric Picnic!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement