Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2014 ** NO TICKET DISCUSSION ALLOWED ** see new mod note

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

I was there too, Hot Chip were on before Goldfrapp in the EA too if i remember right, stayed there the whole of Saturday.

Crowd sang Wake Up at them as they walked onto the stage so they immediately broke into it instead of playing it at the end. Amazing atmosphere, similar to St. Vincent/David Byrne last year.

I remember at the end they played that neighbourhood power out song and the place went mad, and as they finished in loads of feedback the kick drum kept going with a steady beat and then the base line for rebellion lies came in and the whole place just lost its sh1t then. It was class at the time.

Highlight for me this year was Beck! and Steve Malkamus was super cool on stage too and sounded great.

did anyone see Vancouver Sleep Clinic? i'm not sure I'd listen to their stuff at home but live it was pretty class.

also...donal dineen on saturday night in body and soul! never lets us down.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Beanstalk wrote: »
    I remember at the end they played that neighbourhood power out song and the place went mad, and as they finished in loads of feedback the kick drum kept going with a steady beat and then the base line for rebellion lies came in and the whole place just lost its sh1t then. It was class at the time.

Highlight for me this year was Beck! and Steve Malkamus was super cool on stage too and sounded great.

did anyone see Vancouver Sleep Clinic? i'm not sure I'd listen to their stuff at home but live it was pretty class.

also...donal dineen on saturday night in body and soul! never lets us down.

Yeh totally agree, Beck probably played one of the most memorable intros at EP ever, a blistering Devil's Haircut that put me into a mental head banging frenzy, what a way to go.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

My complete festival review, I hope you enjoy as much as I did.
    http://niallmcquaid.wordpress.com/2014/09/04/electric-picnic-2014-festival-review-29-30-and-31st-august/

'Both of us decided to buy a pint from Heneiken Atlas, the only pint I’ve bought for the whole weekend, I went into the bar and asked for a pint and she said, ‘sold out’ but she was only joking, I liked that.'

i know the exact girl who said that, she was working that joke all weekend, said it twice to me! she was in good form. i thought that atlas was well handy, could grab 2 pints while i ran in from oscar wilde to some gig. they also had the handy water taps.

great festival, think this thread will be locked soon.

i've only one huge wish for next year and that's a proper Friday again with all the tents open.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭ned_strange

Just like to echo the comments and complements about that app, absolute class. Did anyone here catch Benjamin booker, highlight of the weekend for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

Just echoing what you wrote about the muppets in the Outkast crowd, it was so frustrating being pushed around and out of the way by people who were only there for 3 songs :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,519 ✭✭✭Mike Guide 69

Just want to say well done to RTE and their miserable content on the RTE Player of the festival. I had recorded the live (almost) 4 hours programme on RTE 2 of the festival that went out on Saturday evening before i ventured down to Stradbally , but my sky box went into meltdown and lost the recording. Found out that they had the festival broadcast in 2 parts on the player and wanted to see the Pet Shop Boys and Chic's performance, as i was fairly inebriated when they were playing at those times and have a very hazy recollection of their sets, but guess what?

Go into the RTE player website and it says "content removed" for part 1 and part 2, sure isnt that great service i get for my tv licence payment.

Only live performances on the RTE player are those from the "Other Voices" set and while im not condoning that coverage, you'd think the decent thing they could do is keep the content up for an additional period after the festival has ended, but that would be thinking outside the box, i guess. :confused:

Does anyone know where i could access the service or have any links for the 4 hour broadcast that went out on August 30th?. Thanking you all :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

Dunno about PSB and interviews but chic and others are on dimeadozen.org

Just want to say well done to RTE and their miserable content on the RTE Player of the festival. I had recorded the live (almost) 4 hours programme on RTE 2 of the festival that went out on Saturday evening before i ventured down to Stradbally , but my sky box went into meltdown and lost the recording. Found out that they had the festival broadcast in 2 parts on the player and wanted to see the Pet Shop Boys and Chic's performance, as i was fairly inebriated when they were playing at those times and have a very hazy recollection of their sets, but guess what?

Go into the RTE player website and it says "content removed" for part 1 and part 2, sure isnt that great service i get for my tv licence payment.

Only live performances on the RTE player are those from the "Other Voices" set and while im not condoning that coverage, you'd think the decent thing they could do is keep the content up for an additional period after the festival has ended, but that would be thinking outside the box, i guess. :confused:

Does anyone know where i could access the service or have any links for the 4 hour broadcast that went out on August 30th?. Thanking you all :D

Some of it is probably ripped already I wouldn't be surprised if some of it was up in Youtube soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,727 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

Dunno about PSB and interviews but chic and others are on dimeadozen.org

Do you need an invite for dimeadozen? Registrations seem to be closed.

My last clip of EP 2014.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,730 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Can't bring myself to delete the app :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

In fairness to RTÉ, the footage probably only stayed online for a week due to contractual obligations to the artists. There would have been a standard contract regarding the online shelf-life of their recorded footage, and I'm guessing 1 week is the industry standard.

It's probably the reason that Portishead were not broadcast at all. They probably didn't play ball. In that instance I would say they were signed to play the festival before RTÉ had jumped on board with their programming, and they were within their rights to refuse to be filmed.

I can't defend the horrendous choice of presenters or infantile banter though. I just know a bit about law and contracts within the music industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,519 ✭✭✭Mike Guide 69

sadie06 wrote: »
    In fairness to RTÉ, the footage probably only stayed online for a week due to contractual obligations to the artists. There would have been a standard contract regarding the online shelf-life of their recorded footage, and I'm guessing 1 week is the industry standard.

It's probably the reason that Portishead were not broadcast at all. They probably didn't play ball. In that instance I would say they were signed to play the festival before RTÉ had jumped on board with their programming, and they were within their rights to refuse to be filmed.

I can't defend the horrendous choice of presenters or infantile banter though. I just know a bit about law and contracts within the music industry.

Definitely agree with you on the contractual agreements with some artists but in terms of accessibility to content when you look at festival overall, it is paltry .When you take into account the bbc and Glastonbury , ok Glastonbury is a national institution when you look at festivals overall (size, money, attendances). In terms of programme content after the event, you could still see acts performances for up to a month on the bbc player plus some of their performances are available on youtube as well, which our national broadcaster isnt too keen to embrace. Hopefully someone will upload the broadcast onto youtube (fingers crossed)

Anyway roll on 2015, cant wait :D

Your right about the choice of presenters for the electric picnic , looked at some of the interview slots, especially " The Stranglers" clip and it is dire, hide behind the couch moment :eek:

Well Youtube user Vegan Viking looks like they were using a pretty amazing camera, they managed to get some extremely good footage of Portishead, so who needs RTE when you have them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

How bout those visuals during Portishead Machine Gun with the banks and the guns and the bombs and the crazy rising sun. Would love to see them again. Coolest visuals I've seen in a long time.

It was like being in a real Terminator II scenario.

Would love to see that interview with Eoghan McDermott and the Foals, it seems they didn't like the daft questions about cheese and what not, it didn't make the broadcast anyway, unless it was broadcast live at the time, did anyone see it per chance.

This Bestival rave looks the business with Boys Noize, its all happening at the moment all over again at isle of Wight.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭breakfasttime

Beanstalk wrote: »
    How bout those visuals during Portishead Machine Gun with the banks and the guns and the bombs and the crazy rising sun. Would love to see them again. Coolest visuals I've seen in a long time.

It was like being in a real Terminator II scenario.

I was at body and soul while Portishead were playing and could still hear machine gun! Sounded phenomenal!

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Dowdy

You're probably right about the contractual issue in general, but watching that RTE show gave me the impression that it wasn't so much that they couldn't show Portishead, it was that no-one involved in the show thought anyone at home could be interested in them, or they didn't even know who they were. They were playing in the background behind the pair of twonks and not once did anyone even mention the fact that they were playing the festival at all, ffs. Ludicrous coverage. If you don't have permission to show their set you can still say "That's Portishead on the main stage behind us right now" before cutting to a five-minute vox-pop segment on whether men or women look better in wellies.

Not so much as an acknowledgement of the fact that Portishead were playing their first Irish gig in 17 years, but they yammered excitedly all evening about Chic as though it was some historic event and not a bunch of tired old disco tunes from a band who have now played nearly as many gigs in Ireland as Aslan.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭pale blue dot cotton

I was looking to get a t-shirt over the weekend and in the end, never got around to it. Why don't they move the merch stall out to the exit on the Monday?

• Advertisement

I was looking to get a t-shirt over the weekend and in the end, never got around to it. Why don't they move the merch stall out to the exit on the Monday?

Seminal Merchandising were behind the programme, I don't know if they also done the tee shirts but no harm in throwing them an email. http://www.seminalmerchandising.com/ and Redman Aka was behind the lanyard http://thisareredmanaka.com/ Both these items were available at the merchandising stall. The label on my EP t-shirt says Continental so I haven't a notion really, maybe contact the addresses above they might know who you can get in touch with.

PS: firebrandlive.com also done them back in 2010, so I don't know if they are still behind the tee shirt designs and what not, but worth checking them too. http://firebrandlive.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

Dowdy wrote: »
    You're probably right about the contractual issue in general, but watching that RTE show gave me the impression that it wasn't so much that they couldn't show Portishead, it was that no-one involved in the show thought anyone at home could be interested in them, or they didn't even know who they were. They were playing in the background behind the pair of twonks and not once did anyone even mention the fact that they were playing the festival at all, ffs. Ludicrous coverage. If you don't have permission to show their set you can still say "That's Portishead on the main stage behind us right now" before cutting to a five-minute vox-pop segment on whether men or women look better in wellies.

Not so much as an acknowledgement of the fact that Portishead were playing their first Irish gig in 17 years, but they yammered excitedly all evening about Chic as though it was some historic event and not a bunch of tired old disco tunes from a band who have now played nearly as many gigs in Ireland as Aslan.

I re-iterate my point from several pages back. Bbc have Mark Radcliffe , Jo Wiley and Lauren Lavern. Actual djs and in Laverns case a musician too who can present and know their music inside out.

Rte have nothing like that, just bobble headed lite entertainment f**kwits. Even Dave fanning seems to have been hidden away from public viewing.

It goes deeper than presenting though, the producers don't know or give a toss about the bands and music or have been told not to put on anything more disturbin than a bit of dr who spooky sound #3, in the cultural race to the bottom, Rte have actually won by removing anyone from their staff who has a rats arsed notion as to what modern music culture actually is.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Even Dave fanning seems to have been hidden away from public viewing.
    I actually saw him walking about at EP this year.

I thought the lad that was presenting RTE's coverage was funny when he hadn't a clue why the Cosby Stage was called the Cosby Stage. Surely a little bit of research would've made him aware of the reason.

The coverage was just light and fluffy with banal chatter with the guests.

BaZmO* wrote: »
    I actually saw him walking about at EP this year.

I thought the lad that was presenting RTE's coverage was funny when he hadn't a clue why the Cosby Stage was called the Cosby Stage. Surely a little bit of research would've made him aware of the reason.

The coverage was just light and fluffy with banal chatter with the guests.

Could have done with Leagues O'Toole and (I can't remember her name) the girl who replaced Leagues on No Disco.

Actually, just bring back No Disco :D

Could have done with Leagues O'Toole and (I can't remember her name) the girl who replaced Leagues on No Disco.

Actually, just bring back No Disco :D

I think she died a good few years ago, what about Michelle Doherty or Elton Mullally who presented Under Ether, they definitely knew their stuff. Amazing presenters and journalists sitting under their nose, I hope they think it out better for next year as this years coverage wasn't great bar the few clips shown. Someone else mentioned why didn't they do the programme on Sunday instead, that way we might have got more Saturday night sets as well as some Sunday ones too.

I think she died a good few years ago, what about Michelle Doherty or Elton Mullally who presented Under Ether, they definitely knew their stuff. Amazing presenters and journalists sitting under their nose, I hope they think it out better for next year as this years coverage wasn't great bar the few clips shown. Someone else mentioned why didn't they do the programme on Sunday instead, that way would might have got more Saturday night sets as well as some Sunday ones too.

I was thinking of Michelle Doherty

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Or even someone like Cormac Battle would have been a good idea who like many other possibilities actually knows something about music

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Dowdy

I re-iterate my point from several pages back. Bbc have Mark Radcliffe , Jo Wiley and Lauren Lavern. Actual djs and in Laverns case a musician too who can present and know their music inside out.

Rte have nothing like that, just bobble headed lite entertainment f**kwits. Even Dave fanning seems to have been hidden away from public viewing.

It goes deeper than presenting though, the producers don't know or give a toss about the bands and music or have been told not to put on anything more disturbin than a bit of dr who spooky sound #3, in the cultural race to the bottom, Rte have actually won by removing anyone from their staff who has a rats arsed notion as to what modern music culture actually is.

You're right. But I think maybe there was one person on the production team who knew a little about music - Tune-yards' "Water Fountain" played during the end credits over a montage of the **** they'd already shown. Whoever was tasked with designing the credits sequence obviously wasn't told that not only would they not show any of the Tune-yards set during the programme, they once again wouldn't even mention that it happened at all even though it had blown everyone away in Body & Soul on the Friday night.

It was like they refused to acknowledge the existence of anyone on the lineup apart from those few acts they would show footage of.

I'd love to see that unbroadcastable interview with Foals now though.. Do we have anyone here who works in RTE and can sneak a copy or for us? And why did they even mention it, ffs? "I interviewed Foals but did such a **** job of it that we can't even show it. So let's talk instead about what colour my shorts are - everyone is slagging me because they look white under these lights but they're actually off-white! How funny is that! Look at my hair! What's your favourite cheese?!"

• Registered Users Posts: 22,424 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

I was at body and soul while Portishead were playing and could still hear machine gun! Sounded phenomenal!

It was freakin awesome

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

Sinead Gleeson and Patrick Freyne would be my picks to interview people.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement